Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
It is so strange that Acer can't get their **** together. Different answers from different customer services representatives and also in different countries. It must be one of the most sold computers this year and shouldn't be that hard for Acer to investigate, communicate a coherent response and also sync with Apple on the issue.

A) I got that it was a bandwidth issue with MBP vs Monitor
b) Some of you have that it is the monitor firmware needing to be update
c) Now also that it is dependent on Apple firmware update

Reactions: iRainer

BravoTangoPapa

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2015
The inconsistency from Acer support, and complete dismissal from Apple support, is why I finally just gave up. I am okay spending $1,600 or so on a new MacBook, but not dropping another $700-1300 on any of the currently "supported" USB C monitors.

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany
Just a quick update: I just got my monitor back from Acer and I got the firmware update.
Unfortunately they lost my power cable and my USB-C cable. The replacement will be shipped tomorrow but until it arrives I can't test anything.

xqtr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2017
Just a quick update: I just got my monitor back from Acer and I got the firmware update.
Unfortunately they lost my power cable and my USB-C cable. The replacement will be shipped tomorrow but until it arrives I can't test anything.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to the results...

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany
I've got awesome news: I just received my replacement cable from Acer (the same one that ships with the monitor, so just another simple USB-C Gen 1 cable) and it works!
Sound, video, charging everything is like it should be and as it was, when I used my Macbook 2016.
Everyone: Just call the Acer support and demand the firmware update.

Reactions: xqtr

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I've got awesome news: I just received my replacement cable from Acer (the same one that ships with the monitor, so just another simple USB-C Gen 1 cable) and it works!
Sound, video, charging everything is like it should be and as it was, when I used my Macbook 2016.
Everyone: Just call the Acer support and demand the firmware update.

Interesting! Data too? USB drive or such?

What firmware does it say now?

Vortimer

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2017
Germany
Yes, everything works fine. No issues so far.

The Acer repair report doesn't mention which firmware I got, just that they've flashed the system-BIOS and the firmware.
If I follow scinos instructions I get "FW Ver 100 Date 151125" from the menu, but I can't tell you if that is a change.

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Regardless of this I think it is safe to say that USB-C will have a very complicated future to become a standard with multiple different versions, generation and bandwitdh. At least not given the current state of everything.

iRainer

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2017
Switzerland
Yes, everything works fine. No issues so far.

The Acer repair report doesn't mention which firmware I got, just that they've flashed the system-BIOS and the firmware.
If I follow scinos instructions I get "FW Ver 100 Date 151125" from the menu, but I can't tell you if that is a change.

For me it looks like they didn't update the firmware. "Ver 100 Date 151125" is the same version that I've got and I bought the monitor in November 2016. But maybe they can update the BIOS without touching the firmware that is displayed in the menu - I'm not a tech guy...

waigx

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2014
Hi everyone,

I've received this link from Acer assistance France in order to update the firmware by yourself... Please download it ASAP, because the validity is only one week : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0WJLHzyWXyHdTJLVWdqNGMzdjg
S.L.

Thanks, you gave the ultimate solution finally works for me, I have the 2017 12-inch retina MacBook.

Here are a few notes I would like to mention:
1. The USB Type-C cable came with the monitor (Cable 1) doesn't work even after upgrade, I used another USB Type-C 3.1 Gen. 2 cable (Cable 2) to make it works;
2. As mentioned in the PDF file, you could use a USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable to update the firmware;
3. This one probably not relates to the topic: I was using the monitor as a USB hub. My setup is [2012 MacBook Pro Laptop] --> [Type A male to Type C female] --> [Cable 1] --> [Acer Monitor]. If I replace Cable 1 with Cable 2, the setup wouldn't work.
4. The first time I downloaded the zip file, I was unable to update and popped up errors when ran the .exe. I downloaded again and it works.
5. The version is still: VER 201 160816

Last edited:
Reactions: xqtr

jacoblo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
It is **** impressive how a big company as Acer can tell some that firmware won't make a different, require others to physically send in the monitor and others send an update that is transferred over USB. Will give this a try this weekend.

ActualVargas

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2017

ActualVargas

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2017
You have to use a windows computer (I didn't try virtual machine though)
I tried using a virtual machine with a USB C to A - A to C plug and it recognized the monitor (called it Hub) but it didn’t let me install the new firmware. Guess I’m gonna have to borrow one from someone.

Sylvain-L

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2017
I've done it with a PC W10 and now it works very well (displayed, charge and usb plug)... great... incredible to have to make the job of ACER... not too much complex but several e-mails and call phones to arrive to this... if anyone require the files after automatically deleted, please get in touch with me.

ActualVargas

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2017
I've done it with a PC W10 and now it works very well (displayed, charge and usb plug)... great... incredible to have to make the job of ACER... not too much complex but several e-mails and call phones to arrive to this... if anyone require the files after automatically deleted, please get in touch with me.
I got it to work with a W10 computer. Just waiting for a Gen 2 cable to arrive by Wednesday. The one that came with the monitor feeds audio, data and power but not video. So I hooked up the monitor through HDMI on my other input. So far “so good”.

xqtr

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2017
Hi everyone,

I've received this link from Acer assistance France in order to update the firmware by yourself... Please download it ASAP, because the validity is only one week : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0WJLHzyWXyHdTJLVWdqNGMzdjg
S.L.

WOW! The update worked. Thank you so much. The USB-C that came with the monitor still does not detect my 2017 MacBook, though. It seems to work just fine with a gen 2 cable I bought off Amazon a while ago.

Still waiting on my cable. Anyone else had any success?

Yes! Works like a charm with a gen 2 cable.

ActualVargas

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2017
WOW! The update worked. Thank you so much. The USB-C that came with the monitor still does not detect my 2017 MacBook, though. It seems to work just fine with a gen 2 cable I bought off Amazon a while ago.

Yes! Works like a charm with a gen 2 cable.
Ditto on this. Firmware + Gen 2 cable works flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.