Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDanielKing

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2020
Hi I had a similar issue with my MacBook Pro and I patched it with your solution but it didn't work
I was hoping if there is other way around it
Thank you
I everyone, for an unknowed reason, email notification was disable for this thread, I didn't see all your posts.
Great to see it saves people the cost of a MacBook Pro :).

The application works great on High Sierra for me.

For information, the patch does works if an external monitor is plugged, see details here : https://github.com/julian-poidevin/MBPMid2010_GPUFix/blob/master/FAQ.md#troubleshooting

If I saved you the price of a mac, please consider paying me a beer by donating ;)
[/QUO

Zekri

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
hey guys, good post, gr8 job Julian.
Any chance this works on a 5.1?? MBP Late 2008 15inch

Zekri

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2020
MBPMid2010_GPUFix is an utility program that allows to fix MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) intermittent black screen or loss of video. The algorithm is based on a solution provided by user fabioroberto on MacRumors forums.

The utility is based on Qt Framework and only available on OSX.

What is this GPU bug ?
MacBook Pro's from Mid-2010 (MacBook6,2) suffers from GPU issues. This is a known problem from Apple. Basically, a kernel panic is triggered randomly while using the computer.

What is the solution ?
A software fix as been found by fabioroberto on this thread.
My software provides an automated way to apply this fix.

Screenshot
OEjuk8Y.jpg

Also, do not hesitate to star my Github if this fix worked for you ! :)

Quick Download

Latest release
Lastest release can be found here

ENJOY !

| Checking compatibility
MBPModelVersion : MacBookPro5,1 ➔ Compatibility : NOK ✗

Ulyses Roldan

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2020
Julian your the best! Im Ulyses saying hi from Argentina!, Sorry for my bad english. I have a borrowed MBP 15 mid 2010 V 10.13.6 form my best friend and in July when he give it to me had this problem and work great, only had problems when i want to connect some screen or monitor, then i discover how to solve that problem and i've been use a 17" VGA screen monitor for almost 3 months i think, doing some rhino 6 and sketchup models and playing LOL, multitasking work and all work perfectly whit no issues , i would live a link below for everyone how wants to solve that.

But now some update came on for just security and i did it, and the problem came back, but this time is different, i read back the thread (until page 2 i guess haha) and see an answer for it (AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext not found), the wierd thing in here its that i have the file in extentions folder as you suggested to check, but the fixer is not reading the .kext file for some reason, hope you or someone else can help me, 'cos its the only computer that i've and im missing my university classes and delivers.

Link for youtube video whit the screen solution (the video it for hdmi but works the same whit VGA that its what i use):

_ale

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2020
Awesome, huge thank you.
This almost completely solved my problem, on a mid-2010 MBP with nvidia dGPU, on 10.11 El Capitan and gfxCS 2.3 installed.
It is working, but the machine crashes upon reopening the lid after I put it to sleep, if it is on dGPU (not sure if it happens always or in some cases).

Better than nothing I guess.

thanks!

julian-poidevin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2017
France
Awesome, huge thank you.
This almost completely solved my problem, on a mid-2010 MBP with nvidia dGPU, on 10.11 El Capitan and gfxCS 2.3 installed.
It is working, but the machine crashes upon reopening the lid after I put it to sleep, if it is on dGPU (not sure if it happens always or in some cases).

Better than nothing I guess.

thanks!

You're welcome !

wbensalah

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2019
MBPMid2010_GPUFix is an utility program that allows to fix MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) intermittent black screen or loss of video. The algorithm is based on a solution provided by user fabioroberto on MacRumors forums.

The utility is based on Qt Framework and only available on OSX.

What is this GPU bug ?
MacBook Pro's from Mid-2010 (MacBook6,2) suffers from GPU issues. This is a known problem from Apple. Basically, a kernel panic is triggered randomly while using the computer.

What is the solution ?
A software fix as been found by fabioroberto on this thread.
My software provides an automated way to apply this fix.

Screenshot
OEjuk8Y.jpg

Also, do not hesitate to star my Github if this fix worked for you ! :)

Quick Download

Latest release
Lastest release can be found here

ENJOY !
Hi,
I upgraded my 2010 MacBook Pro 15" to Monterey with OPLC but you're fabulous app is not compatible. Did you planned an updated version ? Thanks a lot for all the work done.

_ale

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2020
Anybody tried this on Mojave? I need to upgrade (on a Mid-2010 MBP, not supported), but have to be sure The Fix works.

iamdannywyatt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2020
Hey Julian and everyone else here :)

So I used the patch and it was working for a few years. Recently, I had to change my original Apple battery and they used one of those non-Apple batteries. Since then, it seems that the problem came back. I was expecting that the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext file wouldn't be affected by changing the battery, but for some reason the patch is not doing its job anymore. Maybe it's not related, I don't know, but that's what's happening...:confused:

I have a few questions for Julian, but if anyone else knows the answers, I would appreciate it :)

1 - On GitHub it's said "SIP must be disabled at all time". I know I have to disable the SIP to patch the .kext file, but then should I just leave it disabled all the time? I saw online that having it disabled is not recommended for security purposes. I believe it was always enabled after I patched it the first time and it was working all these years, but with the new battery and all that, should I have it disabled to make the patched file do its job all the time?

2 - So since I installed the new battery and since it's not an Apple battery, I'm not sure if that somehow affects the app's performance? Should I put the original .kext file back and patch it? Does it make any difference?

Here's what's weird: After changing the battery, I wasn't able to open Chrome, for example. It would open, but I would get a blank page. The same with an app called Todoist. So apparently Julian's app was not doing its job anymore. Running gfxstatus I am now able to click the Discrete Only option (or even the Integrated option) and open those two apps without an issue, even though gfxstatus doesn't actually show me that the card changed. It shows me that's using the NVIDIA card, but when I go to My Mac, it shows me that's using the Intel card. Weird...
When I try to open Photoshop, though, crash!
Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 9.45.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 9.57.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 9.45.15 AM.png

Can someone clarify these things for me and guide me?
Thank you so much and wish you all a great day! And thanks Julian and Fabio for coming up with this app! :)

Last edited:

julian-poidevin

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2017
France
Hi @iamdannywyatt,

Sorry for my very late response, I did get you email and I finally have some time to answer.

1 - On GitHub it's said "SIP must be disabled at all time". I know I have to disable the SIP to patch the .kext file, but then should I just leave it disabled all the time? I saw online that having it disabled is not recommended for security purposes. I believe it was always enabled after I patched it the first time and it was working all these years, but with the new battery and all that, should I have it disabled to make the patched file do its job all the time?

I personally let SIP disabled at all time because I sometimes have to re-apply the patch in case of MacOS system update and I don't want to go through all the procedure of disabling/enabling SIP when applying the patch. It's a personnal choice. It's obviously safer for your Mac if SIP is enabled but I'd consider a hack is not very likely to happen on our personal machine, unless you are downloading some stuff.

2 - So since I installed the new battery and since it's not an Apple battery, I'm not sure if that somehow affects the app's performance? Should I put the original .kext file back and patch it? Does it make any difference?

Maybe you can drain less peak current from the new non-Apple battery which means the phenomenon is amplified with this battery. The patch normally limits the current peak occurrences so I would let in place the modified kext.

Here's what's weird: After changing the battery, I wasn't able to open Chrome, for example. It would open, but I would get a blank page.

That is very weird, I think the problem is not battery related, the error that the patch fixes is a kernel panic with a reboot of the PC. This "blank page" symptom does not seem related to the battery or the patch. Have you try to reset your mac to the factory settings ?

Running gfxstatus I am now able to click the Discrete Only option (or even the Integrated option) and open those two apps without an issue, even though gfxstatus doesn't actually show me that the card changed. It shows me that's using the NVIDIA card, but when I go to My Mac, it shows me that's using the Intel card. Weird...
When I try to open Photoshop, though, crash!

I don't recommend running the modified patch .kext and gfxstatus at the same time, they both act on the same "device" which is the GPU and it might create conflicts (one "software" could interfere with the other).

ExATIguy

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2023
Fast forward to 2023 and this fix works beautifully. Still a great machine to do basic word processing and email for my wife. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 8.11.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 8.11.49 PM.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 69
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.