Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rippiedoos

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2013
Attempting to backup the cmp efi rom using a 2018 and 2010 MacBook Pro with the bus pirate, Pomona clip combo using flashrom, the ST flash ram is not recognized while surface mounted. Mirroring the same results originally reported.

Wasn’t it also reported to put more power on it worked in the end? To put an external power supply on it with enough power?

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
If it helps anyone here, I've recently finished writing a ROM dumping utility for Mac OS. Just ensure SIP is disabled if you're running OS X 10.11 or later, and it should be able to dump your system ROM. Download here.
Thanks so much ! It works like a charm.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Wasn’t it also reported to put more power on it worked in the end? To put an external power supply on it with enough power?

Put more power on it? SURE. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. I’d rather buy a socket and desolder than unknowingly pump more power into the EFI flash ram channel of my cmp motherboard.

Reactions: AC910

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You mean this file?
View attachment 763184
I mount the EFI partition, and it's still there. May be no need to dump.

It seems the dumped image is exactly the same as the one that stored in the EFI partition. (At least identical file size)
Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 06.15.34.png

If it helps anyone here, I've recently finished writing a ROM dumping utility for Mac OS. Just ensure SIP is disabled if you're running OS X 10.11 or later, and it should be able to dump your system ROM. Download here.

Thanks for providing this tool. And as mentioned above. The dumped image looks identical to the original ROM file. So, this tool should be working flawlessly.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
It seems the dumped image is exactly the same as the one that stored in the EFI partition. (At least identical file size)
View attachment 763400

Thanks for providing this tool. And as mentioned above. The dumped image looks identical to the original ROM file. So, this tool should be working flawlessly.
Great! I'll be updating it soon, allowing you to flash the system ROM as well.

rippiedoos

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2013
Put more power on it? SURE. Give it a try and let us know how it goes. I’d rather buy a socket and desolder than unknowingly pump more power into the EFI flash ram channel of my cmp motherboard.

The voltage should of course be the right voltage but the amperage the USB port can deliver isn’t enough, was my understanding. Putting a bigger power supply on it shouldn’t mean putting 12v on a 3.3v or 5v part but rather using a power supply that can actually deliver more than 500mA or something at the correct voltage. And the flash rom reader also needs some juice so the 5v 500mA that USB port can supply isn’t that much.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Hi Muhammet,
Hi Gilles,
in your #13 post
======================================================
Pre-requirement : extraction of the NVMe DXE driver :
- do a text search (not unicode) with "NVMe" : you will find the NVMe DXE driver at an address starting with "51116915-C34B"
====================================================
Gilles, a small point . . using the "NVMe" as a search term in plain text in UEFITool yielded nothing but this ( lower case ) = "nvme" worked !

======================

Also, still in the " extraction of the NVMe DXE driver "

in Pacifist, click on the "Resources" tab and open "FirmwareUpdate.pkg"->"Scripts"->"Tools"->"EFIPayloads". Select any firmware payload from a Mac that has native NVMe support, I have used the rMBP 11.4 (MBP114_0182_B00.fd)

The closest I could find in my High Sierra ( saved ) installer was " MBP114_0177_B00.fd " Will this be OK ?

Everything else is the same as your results for your Mac Book Pro NVMe project.

Same as Gilles in earlier post.jpg

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
A soldering iron isn’t necessary. The 2009 MacBook Pro and the 4,1/5,1 share the identical EFI / Serial RAM chip.

There are plenty of tutorials sharing an easy process to dump and flash efi roms based on the ST25VF032B without desoldering, using a clip to attach to the posts of the serial ram.

I’ve ordered a bus pirate, sioc8 clip and cables. I’m looking forward to flashing later this week.

It would be nice to have a video tutorial created! Few people have dealt with flashing before.

expede

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2018
Sweden
Hi there MIKX!!

Look in the Combo installer! Not the orginal HS installer. There you will find the right MBP114_0182_B00.fd file.

/Per
====================================================
Gilles, a small point . . using the "NVMe" as a search term in plain text in UEFITool yielded nothing but this ( lower case ) = "nvme" worked !

======================

Also, still in the " extraction of the NVMe DXE driver "

in Pacifist, click on the "Resources" tab and open "FirmwareUpdate.pkg"->"Scripts"->"Tools"->"EFIPayloads". Select any firmware payload from a Mac that has native NVMe support, I have used the rMBP 11.4 (MBP114_0182_B00.fd)

The closest I could find in my High Sierra ( saved ) installer was " MBP114_0177_B00.fd " Will this be OK ?

Everything else is the same as your results for your Mac Book Pro NVMe project.

View attachment 763433

Reactions: MIKX

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
@dosdude1

That's amazing work with the Firmware dumper, when/if you can make a flash utility I can likely make a binary patcher to add NVME, GOP, and XHCI drivers to the image.

@LightBulbFun What is the size of the EEPROM on the MP4,1/5,1?

the MP4,1/5,1 has a 4MiB EEPROM

BTW to those just comparing file sizes, remember that each BootROM is unique to that persons mac you can open it up and search for your machines serial number and it should be there :) (its the Quick n dirty way I verify a BootROM dump)

Reactions: h9826790

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
This is very interesting. It's great to see the community supporting these machines that Apple has largely been neglecting. There's a document here that details the security updates Apple has implemented in the EFI rom updates. It looks like Apple has not been adding these security updates to the MP 5,1 so is there a way we can add them like these drivers?

https://duo.com/blog/the-apple-of-your-efi-mac-firmware-security-research

Also, as some others have mentioned, I'm curious if EFI video drivers can be added. Can anyone check to see if there's a compatible driver contained in the Pro Vega 56 firmware from the iMac Pro that we could use for Vega GPUs to get boot screen, etc working? Can be downloaded here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197558/197558

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
This is very interesting. It's great to see the community supporting these machines that Apple has largely been neglecting. There's a document here that details the security updates Apple has implemented in the EFI rom updates. It looks like Apple has not been adding these security updates to the MP 5,1 so is there a way we can add them like these drivers?

https://duo.com/blog/the-apple-of-your-efi-mac-firmware-security-research

Also, as some others have mentioned, I'm curious if EFI video drivers can be added. Can anyone check to see if there's a compatible driver contained in the Pro Vega 56 firmware from the iMac Pro that we could use for Vega GPUs to get boot screen, etc working? Can be downloaded here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/197558/197558

Model specific GPU EFI may be not quite practical. From memory, the EFI contains framebuffer info. And iMac Pro's Vega is 100% not reference model. Using that framebuffer may disable all PC Vega's ports (worst case scenario).

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I really hope that the GOP thing can work. But so far, try quite a few loader and all failed. Luckily I can simply remove the hard drive to "fix" the computer. However if flashed into the ROM and then the GOP won't work but hang during boot, that will be a disaster.

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
The voltage should of course be the right voltage but the amperage the USB port can deliver isn’t enough, was my understanding. Putting a bigger power supply on it shouldn’t mean putting 12v on a 3.3v or 5v part but rather using a power supply that can actually deliver more than 500mA or something at the correct voltage. And the flash rom reader also needs some juice so the 5v 500mA that USB port can supply isn’t that much.

Gotchya . 1st flash attempt was from a 2018 rMbp from a usb-c inline powered USB hub from a iPad charging usb 3.0 port. Considering CPU speed could have an effect, I installed support on a 2010 mbp running 10.9 and experiences similar results. The first option should have provided enough power. The second should have been slow enough.

Well.. apparently I need more amps. Lucikly I have an adjustable bench power supply left over from the days of plug-and-play development that’s perfect for this job. (Under $50 delivered from eBay). Powering a flash rom without frying it off the board is something I’ll have to try... First on a bricked 4,1 that refuses to boot.

Considering the effort, I got the pig in the tutu but clearly did not make it to the party.

AC910

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2016
Attempting to backup the cmp efi rom using a 2018 and 2010 MacBook Pro with the bus pirate, Pomona clip combo using flashrom, the ST flash ram is not recognized while surface mounted. Mirroring the same results originally reported.

I just attempted this as well on my 5.1. I wasn't able to read with the flash chip while still mounted on the logic board. I could wire it up to a bench power supply. But I really really don't like that idea.

I'll eventually desolder it. But I'll save that for a rainy day.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
QUOTE="Powering a flash rom without frying it off the board is something I’ll have to try... First on a bricked 4,1 that refuses to boot.
Considering the effort, I got the pig in the tutu but clearly did not make it to the party.[/QUOTE]

handheldgames
Sounds like a candidate for the Apple firmware restore CD 1.8

I have already prepared for the eventuality. :rolleyes:

Both 1.8 CD & 1.9 CD

Apple firmwaare restore.JPG

[doublepost=1527646285][/doublepost]
Hi there MIKX!!

Look in the Combo installer! Not the orginal HS installer. There you will find the right MBP114_0182_B00.fd file.

/Per

expede

Gilles PM'd me that the MBP114_0177_B00.fd I found is OK.

He says that .. " I have found that the NVMe drivers seems to be the same between lots of different macintosh.."

But thanks for your hint.

Everything helps.

Last edited:

handheldgames

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2009
Pacific NW, USA
Following up to an earlier post...

There is a Little Frank label on the 4,1/5,1 motherboard next to a ‘diagnostic port’. Emailing across the pond, I’ve heard that this port might allow a pathway to easily flashing a modified MP51.0085.B00 image using the Bus Pirate.

More exciting.... The possibility of a plug-and-play firmware upgrade for NVMe that runs whilst plugged into the diagnostic port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.