Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rippiedoos

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2013
Following up to an earlier post...

There is a Little Frank label on the 4,1/5,1 motherboard next to a ‘diagnostic port’. Emailing across the pond, I’ve heard that this port might allow a pathway to easily flashing a modified MP51.0085.B00 image using the Bus Pirate.

More exciting.... The possibility of a plug-and-play firmware upgrade for NVMe that runs whilst plugged into the diagnostic port.

Regarding the SPI-chip, it was mentioned earlier by gilles that the chip model was SST25VF032B. According to the datasheat http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/20005071B.pdf the chip uses 10mA at 2.7-3.6v. So the reason why a USB-powered port shouldn’t be enough would be phantom current draw by other components, maybe? And if you needed to power ALL 3.3v components on the board to get a stable 3.3v you would need more than a usb power supply could deliver I think. Because if you put 3.3v on the power-pins of the chip, every 3.3v component will get power, not only that chip. And maybe the large amount of components on the board draw more current. But to be sure you would need to measure it and verify it with a multimeter. Maybe the 3.3v is pulled down to 2.5v by all components because of the current draw.

So maybe the diagnostic port thing is the best bet? Good find by the way!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
I've just finished implementing ROM flashing into my OS X system firmware dumping application. You can now use it to both dump AND flash your system ROM, right from OS X. SIP must be disabled in order to use the program if you're running OS X 10.11 or later. Download the tool here.

Disclaimer: Flash your system ROM AT YOUR OWN RISK! I am not responsible for any bricked machines as a result. This should not happen (I tested on quite a few machines, and it worked every time), but if you have external EEPROM programming hardware, you'll have no issues regardless.

zozomester

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2017
Hungary
I've just finished implementing ROM flashing into my OS X system firmware dumping application. You can now use it to both dump AND flash your system ROM, right from OS X. SIP must be disabled in order to use the program if you're running OS X 10.11 or later. Download the tool here.

Disclaimer: Flash your system ROM AT YOUR OWN RISK! I am not responsible for any bricked machines as a result. This should not happen (I tested on quite a few machines, and it worked every time), but if you have external EEPROM programming hardware, you'll have no issues regardless.
Sorry, what are you doing now? Would someone describe it exactly?
When will a native NVME solution be solved?
Thank!

rippiedoos

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2013
It is an application to dump the rom from OS X and write it back to the rom.

So you can now (from OSX) read your efi rom, inject the nvme-driver and write it back to the rom. All at your own risk.

Reactions: LightBulbFun

zozomester

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2017
Hungary
It is an application to dump the rom from OS X and write it back to the rom.

So you can now (from OSX) read your efi rom, inject the nvme-driver and write it back to the rom. All at your own risk.
Does this inject NVME support yourself? Plug and Paly?
Thank!

rippiedoos

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2013
Does this inject NVME support yourself? Plug and Paly?
Thank!

Nope, that’s the tricky part. The user gilles has desoldered it’s rom-chip the inject the firmware himself in the chip directly. So he can flash it’s rom and try it out and reflash it. But if you do it from OSX you have to be pretty sure that it will boot with the flashed rom (with injected NVMe-driver) or you end up with an expensive paperweight. You can fix that paperweight by desoldering the rom chip, flash it with your backup of you rom and solder it back on.

The easier way would be to desolder the rom, put a socket on it and do the rom-stuff so the fallback-method is easier. But I’m not that skilled in soldering/desoldering those sockets and chips to try it out.

So the theory and means are there to fix the rom with nvme-support but now you need some brave souls with sufficient fall back methods to test it out.

zozomester

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2017
Hungary
Nope, that’s the tricky part. The user gilles has desoldered it’s rom-chip the inject the firmware himself in the chip directly. So he can flash it’s rom and try it out and reflash it. But if you do it from OSX you have to be pretty sure that it will boot with the flashed rom (with injected NVMe-driver) or you end up with an expensive paperweight. You can fix that paperweight by desoldering the rom chip, flash it with your backup of you rom and solder it back on.

The easier way would be to desolder the rom, put a socket on it and do the rom-stuff so the fallback-method is easier. But I’m not that skilled in soldering/desoldering those sockets and chips to try it out.

So the theory and means are there to fix the rom with nvme-support but now you need some brave souls with sufficient fall back methods to test it out.
Ok, Thank,
If I run this program what will happen?

rippiedoos

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2013
Ok, Thank,
If I run this program what will happen?

The flash part? You can dump your rom and write it back to the rom if you don’t mess with the file that is created in the read-from-rom-part. So essentially nothing will happen.

zozomester

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2017
Hungary
The flash part? You can dump your rom and write it back to the rom if you don’t mess with the file that is created in the read-from-rom-part. So essentially nothing will happen.
Thank,

I thought it was bringing native NVME support:(
When is a simple solution for NVME BOOT expected?

zozomester

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2017
Hungary
Yes, but the software solution is too complicated, I think.....Not everything is clear to me.
Sorry!
Can it be stupid question, can not share this ROM?

Last edited:

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Can it be stupid question, can not share this ROM?

no because of

A) copyright reasons
B) the serial # of the machine is stored in the ROM

if you like, you can send me your ROM file (use dosdude's tool to extract the ROM) and I will modify it for you. afterwards you can flash it (at your own risk of course). just send me a PM with your e-mail address.

zozomester

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2017
Hungary
no because of

A) copyright reasons
B) the serial # of the machine is stored in the ROM

if you like, you can send me your ROM file (use dosdude's tool to extract the ROM) and I will modify it for you. afterwards you can flash it (at your own risk of course). just send me a PM with your e-mail address.
Ok, Thank!
PM sent...

Last edited:

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
dosdude1

WOW ! I'm in awe ! That has been a long time coming. Thanks so much.
This thread and the other " Booting from NVMe " thread are historical breakthroughs ( Mac Pro-wise ). It proves that we could have had NVMe booting a long time ago.

I suppose that it makes sense to wait until High Sierra goes GM to see what surprises Apple has in store for us.

It would be totally ironic if 10.13.5 or any subsequent upgrades suddenly allow our cMPs to boot NVMe but surely some of the Apple Hi Sierra team have been following our "boot from NVMe" threads . . . .

=================================

I noticed that the first ROMdump and your new one share the same version number. Might be confusing to some.

zozomester

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2017
Hungary
Hello everyone!

mikeboss helps natively running and booting Amfeltec Squid with 4xToshiba XG5 NVME ssd.
Super!!! How long have we been waiting for this.....

Thank You mikeboss!

Attachments

• Képernyőfotó 2018-05-30 - 12.59.50.png
    Képernyőfotó 2018-05-30 - 12.59.50.png
    285.9 KB · Views: 361

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Hello everyone!

mikeboss helps natively running and booting Amfeltec Squid with 4xToshiba XG5 NVME ssd.

Thank You mikeboss!

I'm glad to hear that it did work out for you! it will be interesting to see if anyone will be able to implement booting from FL1100 USB 3.0 or if it will be possible to have boot-screens on various GPUs...

Reactions: lilins

zozomester

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2017
Hungary
I'm glad to hear that it did work out for you! it will be interesting to see if anyone will be able to implement booting from FL1100 USB 3.0 or if it will be possible to have boot-screens on various GPUs...
Yes, my Gpu is Reference GTX 980 Macvidcards, and has Bootscreen.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Wow, man this thread is like Christmas eve--so many potential gifts still wrapped under the tree. I was about to get rid of my 4,1 but this thread is making me want to hold onto it just to be able to experience nvme booting, 4K bootscreens and other goodies.

Thank you to everyone who has been involved in this effort!

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
@dosdude1 Do you think your Rom Flash utility will work with a MacPro3,1?

I've never owned a Mac Pro, but now that the Firmware can be hacked I don't want to let everyone else have all the fun.:D

The 3,1 seems to be in my price range.

w1z

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Hello everyone!

Thank You mikeboss!

This is so cool!! Does this mean we finally have NVMe boot support for the classic MPs including 3,1?

If we do, which is super awesome, then what's the best PCIe card / NVMe drives combo for the 3,1 on a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot? I don't mean to hijack the thread, and I'm sorry if it seems I am, I'm just really excited and want to order the parts.

Either way, kudos to all those that made this possible!! brilliant minds at work here..

expede

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2018
Sweden
@mikeboss : Could you please write a fast/simple tutorial or step by step how you altered zozomesters Bootrom. It seems like it worked for him. Or did you go for Gilles tutorial and skip the last part with "MacPro2009-2010FirmwareTool" and so fourth...? Did you just add the NVMe DXE drive?

Best regards

/Per

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.