Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Well, the TianoCore EFI explains the boot loader part. But why you successfully can boot the 512b NVMe-drive without patching or injecting some drivers is a complete mystery to me. Or the boot process of apple is completely different from any other OS I know.

Did you patch your bootrom or how did you manage to boot from the NVMe-ssd? Or are you running a hackintosh?

It's a qemu virtual machine with real hardware passed though.

You know VT-x and VT-d.

Apple's still makes the best desktop OS, but Linux as far surpassed the macOS and Windows as far as taking advantage of modern hardware.

I haven't tried to boot Sierra from the NVME drive, as I want to use APSF and Sierra support is very limited, but I do boot from HS from it, and it works great. I have no need to go back to Sierra, everything works the same, but Apple seems to have dropped support of my old Firewire iSight. Tho that's OK because I haven't figured out the magic needed to pass a PCI FW card to qemu-system-x86_64 that OS X likes.

I did pass one to qemu-system-ppc and it works fine under OS 9 and Tiger.

rippiedoos

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2013
It's a qemu virtual machine with real hardware passed though.

You know VT-x and VT-d.

Apple's still makes the best desktop OS, but Linux as far surpassed the macOS and Windows as far as taking advantage of modern hardware.

I haven't tried to boot Sierra from the NVME drive, as I want to use APSF and Sierra support is very limited, but I do boot from HS from it, and it works great. I have no need to go back to Sierra, everything works the same, but Apple seems to have dropped support of my old Firewire iSight. Tho that's OK because I haven't figured out the magic needed to pass a PCI FW card to qemu-system-x86_64 that OS X likes.

I did pass one to qemu-system-ppc and it works fine under OS 9 and Tiger.

Ah! So this is a confirmation that a Samsung 960 will work in High Sierra. Thanks!

You got around the bootROM and bootloader by using qemu and tianocore. Nice route for that!

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
Hmmmm. I happen to have a 2018 rMbp with the 4GB Radeon pro 560 . This mobile gpu aligns to the desktop rx460.

ROMTOOL needs an update to support the 2018 rmbp. If we can get an upgrade, ‘we’ can get access to the AMD GOP Driver.
What issue is it having? It should work on that system.

thomasthegps

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
France
Hmmmm. I happen to have a 2018 rMbp with the 4GB Radeon pro 560 . This mobile gpu aligns to the desktop rx460.

ROMTOOL needs an update to support the 2018 rmbp. If we can get an upgrade, ‘we’ can get access to the AMD GOP Driver.

I think the imac pro efi has already been dumped.

HaypurTiryading

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2018
Turkey
Gop driver should be universal, shouldn't be? Is it amd-nvidia like brand specific? I don't think so. Whatever we put it on a pc, it works. Old, new, amd, nvidia or forgotten old brands. Nearly every brand can work on the pc side.

Reactions: lilins

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
Because the MP uses the UGA protocol rather than GOP, GOP video cards may not be able to get the Console on a MP.

Updating the Console and Console Splitter in the MP's firmware as well as adding the GOP EFI driver maybe necessary.

Reactions: lilins and h9826790

erer

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
I do have a original mac pro 5.1 running high sierra 10.13.4, so my firmware is the latest one, I have ordered 2 nvme SSD and 2 PCIE card from Amazon ( 960 & 970 ). Do you think it is possible to update the boot rom for native NVME run.It looks like your bootrom update is only for macpro 4.1 ?

Another question is boot redirect, since I have 4 Hard drives in mac pro all 2TB, is it possible to keep a partition in SATA disk and then re-direct boot to NVME sata ? or Fusion drive is the best possible alternative for me for the time being ?

Is there a plan here to wide open boom rom for any kind of modification ?

Thank you

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Because the MP uses the UGA protocol rather than GOP, GOP video cards may not be able to get the Console on a MP.

Updating the Console and Console Splitter in the MP's firmware as well as adding the GOP EFI driver maybe necessary.

May be this explain why we can't get GOP EFI work via Clover / rEFInd.

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
May be this explain why we can't get GOP EFI work via Clover / rEFInd.
Clover and rEFInd have there own Console drivers, but there is something we are missing because I know that at least one person has gotten the GOP driver to work on a MacPro3,1.

I'll be ordering a 3,1 pretty soon, and I'll find a way to get to the bottom of this issue. With any luck we can get GOP working on the 3,1/4,1/5,1.

There Darth one doesn't often completely fail to get video related things working, I just don't have the hardware.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
dosdude1

rippledoos

dearthnVader

handheldgames

============================================
Dear Peers

I would really prefer to stay in Sierra 10.12.6 until High Sierra goes to final Gold Master
as my current cMP Sierra install is my English school workhorse & is in constant use.

Apparently I need format my Samsung 960 EVO tp 4096k block size.

1. Is the 960 EVO 4k compatible ?
……………………………….
( From a Gilles post :
Hello, The 960 Evo can't be, to my knowledge, formatted with 4K blocs, which are mandatory to boot Sierra.
So you can't boot Sierra (10.12.6) natively on a 960 Evo, but you can boot High Sierra (10.13) which was just released.
……………………………………..
( I’ve looked around the net but cannot find anything conclusive regarding whether the 960 EVO can be formatted to 4k )

2. Is it SAFE to format my 960 EVO to 4096kb?

3. If it IS safe, Is this the correct Terminal command ?

( example ) newfs_hfs -v HFS_VOLUME_NAME -b 4k /dev/rdisk2s1

If the above formatting procedure is not recommended ( dangerous) I’ll wait ’til High Sierra is finalised.

But. . it would be so nice to be able to boot into Sierra 10.12.6 from my 960 EVO.

Thanks in advance

rippiedoos

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2013
dosdude1

rippledoos

dearthnVader

handheldgames

Dear Peers

I would really prefer to stay in Sierra 10.12.6 until High Sierra goes to final Gold Master
as my current cMP Sierra install is my English school workhorse & is in constant use.

……………………………….
( From a Gilles post :
Hello, The 960 Evo can't be, to my knowledge, formatted with 4K blocs, which are mandatory to boot Sierra.
So you can't boot Sierra (10.12.6) natively on a 960 Evo, but you can boot High Sierra (10.13) which was just released.
……………………………………..
( I’ve looked around the net but cannot find anything conclusive regarding whether the 960 EVO can be formatted to 4k )

If the above formatting procedure is not recommended ( dangerous) I’ll wait ’til High Sierra is finalised.

But. . it would be so nice to be able to boot into Sierra 10.12.6 from my 960 EVO.

Thanks in advance

Nope, the 960 EVO isn’t 4K compatible. The command you want to run is to format a volume on the SSD with 4K block size. That’s a logical format. The problem is that the ssd needs to be 4K physical formatted, so the ssd itself reports it is using 4K block size. Only a handful of ssd’s can do that. And I don’t even know if macOS can reformat a ssd to 4K block size. I know Linux and Windows can, but macOS? I don’t know how anyway.

But why do you think High Sierra isn’t stable? It is at it’s 4th release point so what’s the problem? Sierra isn’t updated anymore except for security issues. But that’s for another topic we shouldn’t get into in this topic. I would update to High Sierra but that’s me.

Long story short, you can’t boot natively of a Samsung 960 EVO with Sierra. You need High Sierra to do that. Or buy a SSD that’s 4K compatible like gilles says.

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
dosdude1

rippledoos

dearthnVader

handheldgames

Dear Peers

……………………………….
( From a Gilles post :
……………………………………..

Thanks in advance

I can't really answer a lot of that, you'd just have to figure out what allows HS to boot from NVME 512k and port it to Sierra.

Really it shouldn't be that hard. However if your goal is to run a stock/unmodified version of the macOS, I just don't see why you would expect to be able to do that, and what benefit it would be to you.

When I can't get bootx to load, I change the source code to find out why, then I fix the underling reason, when I can't get boot.efi to load, I fix the underlying reason. When I can's get the Mac OS ROM to load, I fix the underlying reason. When I can't get mach_kernel to load, I fix the underlying reason.

Are you sensing a pattern?

I'm not trying to come off as smart, I'm just naturally a little abrasive. If there were a lot of people that wanted to fix this, I maybe inclined to fix it, however, like I say, Sierra doesn't have much support for APSF, and APSF is way faster on solid state drives, HFS+ even journaled was made to run on very old hardware, very slow spinning drives.

I want to take full advantage of my hardware, but I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel to do it. Apple gave us HS, free of charge, and it's stable and reliable for everything I do.

I can understand that if you have software or hardware that doesn't work correct in HS, but does in Sierra, there would be some need to boot Sierra.

I just have no reason too.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
rippledoos

Thanks, that was what I wanted to be sure of. I do have a working 10.13.4

Let's see what the impending 10.13.5 release has to offer. Who knows ? .. another boorROM update ? Seeing that there have been two updates in the Hi Sierra saga alone .. possible ?

dearthnVader

I appreciate what you are saying 100%. I started from zero tech experience over at Netkas and have progressed to being able to confidently flash all of my video cards and a few other feats.

I'm concerned that 10.13.5 ( due out this week by the look of it ) might perhaps break all or some of the pioneering work
achieved in the past week.

If we get positive reports that the NVMe bootROM hack still works in Hi Sierra 10.13.5 I'm willing to flash my 4,1>5,1 and install 10.13.5.

I'm patient if nothing. Watch and learn, my motto.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Clover and rEFInd have there own Console drivers, but there is something we are missing because I know that at least one person has gotten the GOP driver to work on a MacPro3,1.

I'll be ordering a 3,1 pretty soon, and I'll find a way to get to the bottom of this issue. With any luck we can get GOP working on the 3,1/4,1/5,1.

There Darth one doesn't often completely fail to get video related things working, I just don't have the hardware.

I really want to confirm if that case is a true case. I read though his post. He seems went through lots of hurdles to make it happen. However, no evidence, and no detail post about how to make that work. I still believe it's possible, just we don't know what is missing.

Anyway, I am now co-installed the GT120 with the 1080Ti. So, I am fully ready to perform any test about Clover / rEFInd GOP EFI. I don't need to swap cards if anything goes wrong, just swap monitor input. So much easier for recovery.

I also made a Sierra back up boot drive. And keep it safe. In case I did any stupid thing. I still have an emergency full OS for me to recovery.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
The 10.13.5 full installer has a new firmware update for the Mac Pro 5,1. I haven't installed it yet so I don't know the version number or if it has any new features.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The 10.13.5 full installer has a new firmware update for the Mac Pro 5,1. I haven't installed it yet so I don't know the version number or if it has any new features.

Thanks for the info. I will get the full installer and perform the firmware upgrade after I finish the CCC backup.
[doublepost=1527876909][/doublepost]Anyway, I have no plan to go through the NVMe firmware mod yet. If there is really a new firmware for cMP, I will upgrade the firmware. Is there anything I can help to confirm Apple didn't make something new in this new firmware to intentionally block the NVMe mod?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.