Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

StormRyder

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
I tried a few of the jazz stations today and two or three did not work. Tim better start looking at Apple Music ASAP before they are even further behind Spotify. The performance on my Mac is terrible.
Thanks, will tell this to Apple Support when I contact them again tomorrow.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
I tried a few of the jazz stations today and two or three did not work. Tim better start looking at Apple Music ASAP before they are even further behind Spotify. The performance on my Mac is terrible.

I just cancelled Spotify because of constant app crashes on the M1 MBA and I was considering Apple Music, but from what I'm reading here I might just save myself the €10 month and not bother with either streaming service. I have 25k songs in my iTunes library which play in the Big Sur Music app complete with all my custom playlists, just minus most of the album art. I'm still miffed about that, I want my art back, which is the other reason I'm not going to pay for Apple Music, unless they can tell me how to fix my art problem.

Another free streaming option with minimal advertising is 181.fm which is also available in the TuneIn app.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Can someone on MacOS 11.4 download Lord Huron's latest album (Long Lost) and then try playing it after it's been downloaded?

Instead of M4Ps, it seems to download HLS Media which it then refuses to play (streaming the album works fine).

I've been using The Weeknd as my lossless test since I knew his stuff was 'Apple Digital Master' and recent. Checked and have the same issue as you - it was AAC and fine, download, and it is now HLS Media and no longer plays.

Another fail for Apple Music, pushing MacOS updates that break playback of....music
Same with Moby's new album. Remove the download and it will play again. I'm beginning to think Apple doesn't care anymore.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
Noticing a bug with playlists now (in 1.1.5.74)

At first with smart playlists, I'd click and it would populate with every song in my entire library, so I thought it was just not filtering my parameters correctly. I'd edit the rules and eventually it would work again.

Now with a regular curated playlist of just songs I've directly added, I select it and its just showing me my entire library. I was able to fix it but only by clicking every random thing I could find (to refresh it) until it finally showed my actual songs.

I tried to change the View as a solution to 'refresh' what was being populated, but it was only giving me the sorting options you'd find in Artists view. Now with it fixed, View works again properly and lets me change the view type for the playlist.

(i realize now in typing this its possible that because my 'view' was 'as artists' that Music was just showing me the Artists section itself and bypassing the playlist altogether)

Damnit I hate Music. Never had these issues with iTunes.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I hope the HLS stuff at least gets fixed automagically when Apple flips the switch in their backend to enable lossless playback of Apple Music files. 😐

Reactions: B/D and Lvivske

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
I just cancelled Spotify because of constant app crashes on the M1 MBA and I was considering Apple Music, but from what I'm reading here I might just save myself the €10 month and not bother with either streaming service. I have 25k songs in my iTunes library which play in the Big Sur Music app complete with all my custom playlists, just minus most of the album art. I'm still miffed about that, I want my art back, which is the other reason I'm not going to pay for Apple Music, unless they can tell me how to fix my art problem.

Another free streaming option with minimal advertising is 181.fm which is also available in the TuneIn app.
Re Spotify.....Often when I wake my M1 MBA from sleep I am greeted with a huge error message box saying that Spotify unexpectedly quit. It has not been crashing when playing but after putting the MBA in sleep mode.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Re Spotify.....Often when I wake my M1 MBA from sleep I am greeted with a huge error message box saying that Spotify unexpectedly quit. It has not been crashing when playing but after putting the MBA in sleep mode.
This is the exact problem all M1 users are having with Spotify, there are many threads about it over in the Spotify community forum, but crickets chirping from Spotify. Point is, why can't we get a service like Apple Music, or Spotify that 'Just Works'? The only 'bugs' I get when playing my vinyl collection is the scratches in some records that occasionally cause the needle to jump, but this is only on some LP's I paid peanuts for at a market that are over 50 years old. I would expect a modern subscription streaming service that we're paying good money for to not be so buggy, Apple and Spotify, I'm pointing fingers at both of you. I've given up trying to restore my missing iTunes album art in the Music app. No, I'm not going to do 1000 albums manually one by one, unless I'm really, really bored. At least all the music is still there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Expos of 1969

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015

Maybe a YT music subscription? I don't have any streaming service, but maybe it could be an option if the ither two services are failing so bad.

chinchillas

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
I'm going to be switching from an iPhone 5S (don't laugh - it still works!) to a new iPhone (probably SE) and I'd just like to know how many problems I'm going to encounter with the 40 GB+ music stored in my phone when I transfer the songs to the new phone, via Music app. I also installed the old iTunes in Bug Sur as someone suggested previously, but I don't know if the new phone will be recognized by iTunes. What do you recommend?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
This is the exact problem all M1 users are having with Spotify, there are many threads about it over in the Spotify community forum, but crickets chirping from Spotify. Point is, why can't we get a service like Apple Music, or Spotify that 'Just Works'? The only 'bugs' I get when playing my vinyl collection is the scratches in some records that occasionally cause the needle to jump, but this is only on some LP's I paid peanuts for at a market that are over 50 years old. I would expect a modern subscription streaming service that we're paying good money for to not be so buggy, Apple and Spotify, I'm pointing fingers at both of you. I've given up trying to restore my missing iTunes album art in the Music app. No, I'm not going to do 1000 albums manually one by one, unless I'm really, really bored. At least all the music is still there.
My monthly Spotify Premium subscription ends in three days so I won't renew it for now. Will go back to Apple Music despite it being slow at times on the Mac. I have no interest in most of the current artists it pushes but I am mostly an album listener and I have a large number in my library so will go that route for a while and use the free version of Spotify for discovery of new things.

EuroChilli

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2021
Belgium
Maybe a YT music subscription? I don't have any streaming service, but maybe it could be an option if the ither two services are failing so bad.

My Netflix account is an exception, because my father-in-law is the only one who really uses and pays for it, otherwise I'm still not sold on most of these subscription/music rental services. Firstly, they're buggy as hell, and then, when do you actually find the time to listen to 50+ million songs? If they gave us more hours in a day, maybe, otherwise I'm not really interested in paying for something I'm not going to use. I still prefer to choose my albums carefully and then to buy for life. Think about it, $/€120, per year, and the longer you use it, the more you're inclined to keep paying it, or your carefully curated playlists and downloads will go away. Not so with purchased music.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
My Netflix account is an exception, because my father-in-law is the only one who really uses and pays for it, otherwise I'm still not sold on most of these subscription/music rental services. Firstly, they're buggy as hell, and then, when do you actually find the time to listen to 50+ million songs? If they gave us more hours in a day, maybe, otherwise I'm not really interested in paying for something I'm not going to use. I still prefer to choose my albums carefully and then to buy for life. Think about it, $/€120, per year, and the longer you use it, the more you're inclined to keep paying it, or your carefully curated playlists and downloads will go away. Not so with purchased music.
You can transfer playlists between services using third party tools

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
Just tried the Lord Huron album. After downloading it it won't play.

Some Apple Music albums download now as an HSL file (no idea), and they won´t play. Others still show "AAC apple music file" as their filename and play fine. I you remove the download and just stream it they willl play fine. I assume its related to the inminent launch of lossless audio in AM.

Acxl

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2021
Yes, my Music App Problems getting even worse since the update to 11.3.1 Big Sur (Macbook M1 Air).
When I'm streaming to the HomePods, the music playing bar stops after one or two songs (like in the pic) and the stream stops after the song is fully played (queue is full).
No problems when I stream from the iPhone to the HomePods.

I was in contact with the Apple Support, but they have no clue how to help.

Sign out and unathorize didn't help, MacOS reinstall didn't help. Maybe I have to downgrade to 11.2.3?!
View attachment 1781965
Found a solution for the streaming problem:

Downgrade to MacOS 11.2.3 with Music App 1.1.3.3!

Have to build a new Music Library, because the new version isn't compatible with the "old" Music App. :mad:

Thanks Apple for not fixing bugs and not offering old Big Sur Versions!

B/D

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2016
I assume it's related to Apple's 'ship it today; fix it tomorrow, or not' attitude.

Unfortunately, this is very true. It would seem that the hardware team and the software team do not talk to each other. As a result, Apple software have been in a declining spiral the last few years, with very poor CQ.

Reactions: Lvivske

mscrutchin

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
Anyone else use iTunes Remote on their iPhone to control Music on their computer? Ever since upgrading to Big Sur 11.4, suddenly Remote isn't connecting to my Music library anymore. I even deleted my library from iTunes Remote, re-added it, and even turned on Home Sharing in the System Preferences just in case. But every time Remote tries to connect...

"Connecting to mscrutchin's Library..." forever and ever...

EDIT: Never mind, got it working again. I think it was power cycling my router that did it.

Last edited:

VKondakoff

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
"Connecting to mscrutchin's Library..." forever and ever...
EDIT: Never mind, got it working again. I think it was power cycling my router that did it.

I have exactly the same issue, which started after installing the first MacOS 11.5 beta. Unfortunately, re-adding the library and power cycling the router does not solves the issue: iTunes remote is still unable to connect to my library.

Last edited:

mscrutchin

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
I have exactly the same issue, which started after installing the first MacOS 11.5 beta. Unfortunately, re-adding the library and power cycling the router does not solves the issue: iTunes remote is still unable to connect to my library.

Hmm, well, here's what I did last night when I got it working again...

1. Turned on Home Sharing in System Preferences > Sharing > Media Sharing (this is essential)
  2. Removed my Music library from iTunes Remote
  3. Made sure my phone had the latest version of iOS and iTunes Remote (already did)
  4. Powered off my iPhone and shut down my iMac with the Music library
  5. Power cycled my router while both my iPhone and iMac were shut down (not connected to the network)
  6. After my router was completely power cycled and connected to the internet, turned my iPhone and iMac back on
  7. Fired up Music on my iMac, started playing some Depeche Mode (the Depeche Mode may be what did it!)
  8. Opened Remote on my iPhone, added my Music Library again, entered the code on my iMac...
  9. BAM! It worked. Back in business, baby!

I discovered today that Home Sharing must be checked in System Prefs > Media Sharing for iTunes Remote to work. I think there used to be a Home Sharing setting in the Music app itself, but it's no longer there (or maybe that was just iTunes). In any case, you must have the Home Sharing box checked ("use your library across devices signed into an Apple ID"). I've toggled it on and off and Remote only works when it's on. The funny thing is, I had turned it on before I did all those other steps but it still wasn't working for me. Then I did the rest of the steps above and it was working again!

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

Mr. 123

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
With WWDC just a few days away, what are the changes and features you’re hoping to see the most for the Music app in macOS12?

For me it’s mostly small things like:
- the ability to sort playlists by year when using the album view
- drop down pages for albums instead of separate pages (at least they could make it an option)
- better use of space with more albums showing per row in the grid (without the wasted space on the sides when on a 27 inch screen)

So far, I’m still using Mojave on my main Mac because of iTunes so maybe this will be the year when I finally update it😎

I have Big Sur on my MacBook Air and the Os is good so it would be nice to get it on the iMac as well but music is of course, the first priority!

Reactions: justafew

VKondakoff

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
  1. Turned on Home Sharing in System Preferences > Sharing > Media Sharing (this is essential)
  2. Fired up Music on my iMac, started playing some Depeche Mode (the Depeche Mode may be what did it!)
Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the idea! Turning the Media Sharing on solved the issue and now I can connect iOS Remote to Home Sharing (manual connection still not work). At least iOS remote is usable again...
In my case it was Bombay Bicycle Club which helped me to connect iOS Remote to MacOS music. Should we add this (along with DM) to the known workarounds? ;)

Reactions: mscrutchin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.