Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
This has been fixed in Ventura. In all Library views and Playlists there's now a search icon along with sort options that sits below the Now Playing bar.
Not fixed. The field itself does not stay open. You have to click the icon (or use the keyboard shortcut as before) each time you want to search.

Reactions: vddobrev

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Did you report this to Apple using the Feedback app? If not, then please do so! Whining here does not help anything.
I am not on the beta for Ventura yet, so no. However I have submitted feedback on each OS release since Catalina.

Offer criticism is not the same as whining.

Reactions: gank41

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
I am not on the beta for Ventura yet, so no. However I have submitted feedback on each OS release since Catalina.

Offer criticism is not the same as whining.
So why comment in a Ventura forum then? All you are doing is adding noise.

tomtad

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2015
Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 15.04.45.png

A dot is now shown below Shuffle and Repeat buttons when activated

Reactions: nortonandreev

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
View attachment 2018565

A dot is now shown below Shuffle and Repeat buttons when activated

“Our interface is unclear but instead of changing it, we’ll just highlight that fact with a little dot.”

Honestly, I don’t mind this. I feel like simply having a square highlight around the icon would have been easier, but I am not bothered by the dot because I can, at a glance and despite the accent color used, tell that it’s active. This small detail is such a massive bump up in usability that I hope they implement this outside of Music (at least as part accessibility) if they maintain the current design.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Honestly, I don’t mind this. I feel like simply having a square highlight around the icon would have been easier, but I am not bothered by the dot because I can, at a glance and despite the accent color used, tell that it’s active. This small detail is such a massive bump up in usability that I hope they implement this outside of Music (at least as part accessibility) if they maintain the current design.
Yeah I don't really mind it either - I mean...it's better. My point was more that if your pants keep falling down, the right answer is to get some pants that fit, even though yes, adding suspenders would technically fix the problem.

I think I'm more annoyed/amused that someone fixed their sights on this, rather than the more glaring UI sins in Music, like having a 4" wide unmarked modal button for adding playlist descriptions. Or maybe that airplay interface in iOS that literally moves around as you're trying to tap speakers or adjust the tiny sliders.

mat1696

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2021
I’m so disappointed they didn’t make any effort in fixing Music on Ventura… I can’t believe they don’t know their app is crap (they juste need to use it 5min with Apple Music and they’ll meet at least one bug for sure) and as Apple Music seems to be one of the biggest apple services I don’t see them abandon it…
So is there hope they are maybe completely rewriting it, but want to do it correctly (so it takes years)? I hope so… because people are giving money for this sh*t that is completely broken and unusable on macOS with trackpad and mouse (but when we see the new System Settings I’m afraid Apple forgot how to do an Apple that feels great on macOS 😬…

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
I’m so disappointed they didn’t make any effort in fixing Music on Ventura… I can’t believe they don’t know their app is crap (they juste need to use it 5min with Apple Music and they’ll meet at least one bug for sure) and as Apple Music seems to be one of the biggest apple services I don’t see them abandon it…
So is there hope they are maybe completely rewriting it, but want to do it correctly (so it takes years)? I hope so… because people are giving money for this sh*t that is completely broken and unusable on macOS with trackpad and mouse (but when we see the new System Settings I’m afraid Apple forgot how to do an Apple that feels great on macOS 😬…
If I were a betting man, I'd say the next version of Apple Music is already way underway as a full rewrite across all platforms. If there's nothing new next year I'd be worried.

mat1696

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2021
If I were a betting man, I'd say the next version of Apple Music is already way underway as a full rewrite across all platforms. If there's nothing new next year I'd be worried.
Hop you are right (but a little bit worried as well) as Apple has to make it right to macOS and keep some cool itunes features. Hope we won’t just see a Catalyst app from iPadOS :/

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
View attachment 2019386
Playlists now show their title under the Now Playing bar when you scroll. It also shows this on Songs, Albums etc however it seems to be Library only so far, any Apple Music pages are still blank.

You mean that big bar of nothingness finally disappears? 🤯 Does this also work when the playlist is displayed as titles? (the oldschool table view)

galad

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2022
Can't edit/add "work and movement" for a single track (for example Classical Music Tracks): In the get info window of each track in iTunes you could edits and display woking names and Movement # and toggle from song name to work name details - this no longer works in Monterey / Music. Presumably will be fixed with Apple Music Classic.
This can be modified, just click on "Title" (it's a pop up button).

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Sorry - one additional item I'd like to confirm as it's not presently listed in the wiki post. Can someone confirm whether it is still impossible to move  Music playlists into a folder? Not sure why this is a thing, but it's very frustrating.

Kohji Matsubayashi

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
Music app on Ventura beta1 and beta2, local files only:

(1)
On Library->Songs (aka Columns) view, and with "Show Artwork" enabled, each artwork is fetched from the local music file - in other words, artwork cache is not working. But on other views like "Albums" "Artists" etc. all the artworks are instantly displayed (i.e. cache is working).

(2)
I have nearly 100,000 local files in my library. Also on Columns view, when sorted by "Album by Artist/Year", all the files are listed. But if I sort by other colums like "Songs", "Artist" etc. only about 30,000 files are displayed. In this case, if I switch to other views ("Genres" for example), then coming back to Columns view, all the tracks are displayed again. This started to happen on some version of Monterey.

(3)
When I select a track and press Command-I (Get Info), and with no focus in any editable textarea, pressing Command-N (next track) will create a new Playlist. If I click any textarea (get focused), pressing Command-N will work as expected (display info on the next track). This also started to happen on some version of Monterey.

(4)
... and many more ... :-(

Reactions: Lvivske
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.