Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kola91

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2022
Are you on the Ventura beta? If so, did you recently wake the Mac from sleep when that pop happened?

Ah excuse me, I forgot the software version. I’m on 12.5 right now. But I don’t expect Ventura to be further in that regard anyway.

The coming betas might be interesting though.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Ah excuse me, I forgot the software version. I’m on 12.5 right now. But I don’t expect Ventura to be further in that regard anyway.

The coming betas might be interesting though.
Hmm...I wonder if your pop was a beta bug because I'm on the Ventura beta and there's a bug I found where the sound drivers don't fully load when waking from sleep after a long period which causes the speakers to sound like an old dying CRT. It goes away after three minutes but it's so weird.

bakoven

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2022
UK
Buying third party audio drivers is pretty much mandatory to use MacBook Pros at this point. Apple seriously needs to think about getting a new one for macOS, one with an equalizer. Windows has multiple audio drivers and a sound equalizer built in for a reason.
I am now on 12.5 and the audio popping is much improved but it's still there occasionally.
What third party audio driver would you recommend for a MacBook Pro.?

moonpetal

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021
I was excited to upgrade to 12.5 and hopefully leave all the popping and crackling behind, but I just heard a couple. Bleh. And I'm still using Boom 3D - even though it didn't keep the popping away for long, the sound quality improvement is nice. Guess I'll still be rebooting frequently 🥴 That's the only thing that seems to drive the popping away, at least for a bit.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I was excited to upgrade to 12.5 and hopefully leave all the popping and crackling behind, but I just heard a couple. Bleh. And I'm still using Boom 3D - even though it didn't keep the popping away for long, the sound quality improvement is nice. Guess I'll still be rebooting frequently 🥴 That's the only thing that seems to drive the popping away, at least for a bit.
Have you tried Ventura instead? Because I haven't had any issues on the Ventura beta.

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
What do you consider frequently?

I am not new to using computers or Macs, im in my late 30s, but I reboot just naturally like at least once a day - without even thinking about it. Im surprised to see people keep stuff up for months it seems like lol.

moonpetal

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021

I am not new to using computers or Macs, im in my late 30s, but I reboot just naturally like at least once a day - without even thinking about it. Im surprised to see people keep stuff up for months it seems like lol.
I have to reboot at least once a day to get rid of the popping, or at least I did before the 12.5 update. It might be less frequent now - we will see. This shouldn't be necessary. There's a huge middle ground between necessary daily rebooting to enjoy non-terrible audio and keeping stuff open for months haha.

Reactions: 44sunsets

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
Has anyone tried this? https://rogueamoeba.com/soundsource/

I played around with it a few months back but wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to keep or not. Gave more granular controls and allowed me to use multiple sound outputs at the same time, which was cool.
Thanks for posting this. I haven't tried it, but am downloading now. I love other software from Rogue (Fission and Audio Hijack), so I'm guessing this is good. Will be interesting to compare with Boom.

VivienM

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2022
Toronto, ON

Wow... I haven't had systems that needed daily or near-daily reboot since Windows 98. (I never used classic MacOS 7/8/9 - went to Windows after 6.0.5, came back with a retina MBP in 2015 - but I expect they would have been as bad. Maybe even worse.)

My expectation is that a modern computer running a modern OS should be able to operate without a reboot, period. Reboots should be scheduled maintenance tasks that are done monthly (in Windows' case, because patches are monthly) or when new OS releases are released (Mac). And I am sometimes a bit delinquent about updating my Windows machines - just recently, I think my main Windows machine was up for about 90 days before I rebooted it for a full patch cycle.

And I would go further and tell you that if any Windows machine of mine had the audacity to require a mid-month reboot (e.g. because it blue-screened or otherwise crashed), it would get a date with the screwdriver and the offending component would be promptly replaced. I have absolutely zero tolerance for anything that requires involuntary reboots. Macs... well, you don't fix hardware problems with a screwdriver, you fix them with a trip to the Apple Store, but the same principle again applies.

You seem to be about the same age as me, so I am somewhat shocked that you don't appreciate the stability of a modern OS (really, any version of OS X/macOS or any version of Windows NT) on a plentifully-RAMmed system not requiring the frequent reboots and productivity interruptions of the junk OSes of our childhood years.

badlydrawnboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2003
I just installed SoundSource from Rogue Amoeba. It's only been half a day, but so far no clicks or pops. Granted, I haven't had many of them since upgrading to 12.5, so it's hard to tell if this has anything to do with SoundSource.

I do prefer the UI of SoundSource to Boom so far. I had this irritating issue with Boom where it would automatically connect to a random sound output source when I reconnected my MBP to the Thunderbolt dock I use. That doesn't happen with SoundSource.

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
Wow... I haven't had systems that needed daily or near-daily reboot since Windows 98. (I never used classic MacOS 7/8/9 - went to Windows after 6.0.5, came back with a retina MBP in 2015 - but I expect they would have been as bad. Maybe even worse.)

My expectation is that a modern computer running a modern OS should be able to operate without a reboot, period. Reboots should be scheduled maintenance tasks that are done monthly (in Windows' case, because patches are monthly) or when new OS releases are released (Mac). And I am sometimes a bit delinquent about updating my Windows machines - just recently, I think my main Windows machine was up for about 90 days before I rebooted it for a full patch cycle.

And I would go further and tell you that if any Windows machine of mine had the audacity to require a mid-month reboot (e.g. because it blue-screened or otherwise crashed), it would get a date with the screwdriver and the offending component would be promptly replaced. I have absolutely zero tolerance for anything that requires involuntary reboots. Macs... well, you don't fix hardware problems with a screwdriver, you fix them with a trip to the Apple Store, but the same principle again applies.

You seem to be about the same age as me, so I am somewhat shocked that you don't appreciate the stability of a modern OS (really, any version of OS X/macOS or any version of Windows NT) on a plentifully-RAMmed system not requiring the frequent reboots and productivity interruptions of the junk OSes of our childhood years.
I mean, nothing feels as good as a nice clean reboot. And it takes less time than it took to blow my nose, quite literally. And these reboots are not 'needed' but why not? Not interrupting my workflow - Im not someone who sprawls out 100 windows and leaves them up for a year, my mind doesn't allow me to operate that way, so when im done working on something I just close the window. So a reboot doesn't slow me down any.

If we are talking old computers where a reboot is like 5 minutes, than maybe I might use it more strategically.

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
I just installed SoundSource from Rogue Amoeba. It's only been half a day, but so far no clicks or pops. Granted, I haven't had many of them since upgrading to 12.5, so it's hard to tell if this has anything to do with SoundSource.

I do prefer the UI of SoundSource to Boom so far. I had this irritating issue with Boom where it would automatically connect to a random sound output source when I reconnected my MBP to the Thunderbolt dock I use. That doesn't happen with SoundSource.
How has this been going?

bakoven

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2022
UK
Since installing Boom on 12.5 I haven't had any audio clicks or crackles and well pleased with the improved sound quality. But it's amazing that it should be necessary to install a third party software considering Apple's audio heritage. I wasted over a month chasing the problem initially thinking it was a Parallels problem and dealing with their support.
Thumbs down for Apple especially as they still haven't fixed the problem 100% with 12.5

theSchtickler

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Just chiming in here as another very frustrated M1 MBP user. This is been happening pretty much since I have had the computer, sometimes, like yesterday it was so horrible I had to stop everything and restart. Not much point having great speakers if they sound horrible, its especiually bad when trying to listen to something at low volume and these huge pops are coming in over the top.

As much as I totally oppose spending more of my own money to fix it, at this point I'll do anything, so SoundSource it is. Will report back

Thanks everyone here for actually offering a solution as opposed to what Apple is giving us on our $4000 laptops.

Reactions: ipedro and radoslaw

VivienM

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2022
Toronto, ON
Just chiming in here as another very frustrated M1 MBP user. This is been happening pretty much since I have had the computer, sometimes, like yesterday it was so horrible I had to stop everything and restart. Not much point having great speakers if they sound horrible, its especiually bad when trying to listen to something at low volume and these huge pops are coming in over the top.

As much as I totally oppose spending more of my own money to fix it, at this point I'll do anything, so SoundSource it is. Will report back

Thanks everyone here for actually offering a solution as opposed to what Apple is giving us on our $4000 laptops.
12.5 hasn't helped for you?

Reactions: Kola91

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
Oh no! Happened to me as well. Just during music (Spotify) for now, was fine for Google hangout call as well as Youtube videos.

Hope this is not another one of those annoying bugs, like when my previous MBP would down-clock the iGPU to 200 MHz every now and then. :(

Still on 12.4 though, will upgrade later.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.