Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
That's a nice mix, but any reason you're sticking with the 6xx in the Senns? I had 598s I was upgrading from, and went to a local shop to try out a bunch of cans, including the Beyerdynamic, HIFIMAN, and Audeze. The HD800s have earned their reputation for clear, neutral sound, but the HD700s have been my cans for the past several years now. They were out of my price range at that audition, and I ended up with a pair of Beyerdynamics, which were terrific, but you can get the HD700s for <$500 now, and I think that's really a steal. (That's what I did several months after the fact.)

You got the higher ohm Beyers? I tried the 33s(?) but I liked the 880s in 250 (if I'm remembering right).

Look forward to hearing your further thoughts?
Ok I’m ordering the 700s. I have resisted this brand for so long I guess it’s time to try. They just look so geeky.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Ok the DACportHD got here. I haven't had a chance to run it against the Mojo or Dragonfly RED yet but I just put on some testing materials real quick and the Grado 325e's and I have to say it sounds pretty good! I can't immediately detect any showstoppers like the rest of them. I will need to listen to each one at a time. I have a feeling the Dragonfly is more detailed but this is not a loser at all.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
OK Cambridge DACmagic XS also came. Its worthy but the runt of the winner's circle. It feels kind of like somebody who is just barely juggling a bunch of items without dropping them. Like it gets the job done. I would give it to a family member, but where the cyborg-like efficiency of the Dragonfly RED just gets the job done without a single complaint this thing feels a bit huffing and puffing. Amazon, check please. For $74 bucks tho the best sound for under $80 def goes to this little thing.

Headphones are arriving so Ill be doing those comparisons soon. I have sat down with the DACport HD and the Dragonfly and honestly they sound very similar. I am pretty sure the soundstage and clarity and sweetness of the Mojo cannot be f***ed with by either of these devices. Will do the legwork and report back.
[doublepost=1534198469][/doublepost]Beyerdynamic Amiron - I guess I just don't like closed back headphones. These feel far away and kind weak. I guess I would be able to tell if the detail was there if I wanted to keep them on my head for longer than 3 minutes. Played them on the Dragonfly RED, the DACport HD and the Mojo and couldn't deal. Just felt far and sterile again. Maybe Im just one of those "Grado sound" people who likes it right up in your face. There is something about the intimacy of that open back Grado sound I love. So anyways. Bye bye Amiron.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
OK this guy is brilliant. Fantastic summary and completely confirms what my ears are hearing.

Dragonfly - 100
DACport HD - 130
Mojo - 300

Jump to 3:49 for some interesting technical information that informs exactly why this thing rocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikzn

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Why do you say that?
Not to be a smart ass, but because it is. It presented the emptiest sound stage and least robustness of all the DACs I tried. It felt underpowered and completely outgunned by every other device I used. From the moments after I pressed play I knew this was not gonna cut it. The Echo Audiofire 2 I had for 15 years is just a paired down version of a much much larger series of devices (defunct now, but they had the 4, 8, 10, 12 built on the same platform) but they were huge in the editing world for a while. The Audiofire 2 is the same chipset and design just paired way down. It sounded *phenomenal*. I know what good hifi should sound like and that Meridian Explorer 2, my friend, is a gutless piece of hardware.

The DACport HD from CEntrance, for $20 cheaper is absolutely f****** mind-blowing. It's better than the Dragonfly Red, too.

The video I posted above goes into depth about it but take this into account: mostly every review Ive seen online places the DragonFly Red at the top of the pack for quality and value. Most don't take the Mojo into account. And pretty much none really talk about the DACport HD which is just ridiculous for $20 cheaper than the Dragonfly. Its phenomenal.

Watch that video!

Image-1-4.jpg

Last edited:

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
I still trust my ears and with my earphone, my iPod Touch 6G blows Mojo out of the water with Mojo sounding way too warm and veiled while the iPod Touch sounded the most balanced with more dynamics and details. With headphones, Mojo would win though due to having more power.

Reactions: RumorConsumer

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I still trust my ears and with my earphone, my iPod Touch 6G blows Mojo out of the water with Mojo sounding way too warm and veiled while the iPod Touch sounded the most balanced with more dynamics and details. With headphones, Mojo would win though due to having more power.
With respect I cannot possibly imagine the circumstances by which I or the science of audio frequency measurement could possibly agree with that assessment but that’s I guess what makes this hobby so much fun.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Ok its a headphone kinda morning. The Mojo is fired up and ready. Round one of elimination:

First up is the Sennheiser HD 600

First 10 seconds impression - These are nice. I like these more than any other headphones I have tested besides the Grados. Detailed and open. Spacious. Immediately has me wonder how the 700s are. I gotta move fast this morning. I have another 30 minutes to declare a winner's circle and then hone down. These pass. Head clamp a little tight.

OK the HD 650s are next.

These sound a bit throatier. The bottom end is much heavier. I like it. If the HD 600s are the kinda wirey, fit, fireman these are one step burlier. Sennheiser is gonna make this difficult I think. Enough has been written about these that I don't have to say too much. If I am honest the highs seem to have been sacrificed a bit for the lows on this model. I don't get the reach and extension on the guitars that I had just a second ago. I don't think I would keep these. Totally acceptable but not exciting in any way to me. Also a bit of a tight fit.

Now the 660s

Pronounced, broader range immediately apparent from the start. Seems like the high end is back and the bass is there this time. These sound really good. I think I am a bit used to the high highs on the Grados so I have some bias. These sound great and are def the best Sennheisers Ive tried. There's just enough fun in here. Alicia Keys sounds great on these too, wow. I can't quite trace the walk of the bass line on Beyonce's All Night. I really like that part. Its there but its not quite as distinctive. I can really hear it on the Grados. Ok, either way these sound great.

HIFIMAN Sundara

Build quality less than the Sennheisers but comfy and light. A worthy applicant but the sound is a little hollow and feels just like the plastic - a little light and a little frail. They sound good but Id take the Grados or Sennheisers. No drama on Midnight From the Inside Out which is too bad because the song is dramatic. Not a bad headphone just not a particularly exciting one for me.

Grado PS500e

OK save me. Pressing play and... Maybe its because they'r brand new or maybe the Grado bubble has been pierced but these sound a bit glimmery with the contrast to the Sennheisers. Ill need to compare to the 325e. I am gonna hold on these for now and go to...

Sennheiser HD 700

They are less geeky looking in person than online. Ok upon 10 seconds of listening honestly my least favorite of all the Sennheisers. They feel kind distant and shallow. I am a bit shocked. Not at all what I was expecting. How could anybody think these sounded better than the others... I am confused. Trying it with the DACport HD. Similar. No chance I will own these. The presence and immediacy I heard in the 600 series is completely gone. Not sure what the deal is but these are losers. I need some reality so a quick google search for "HD 700 suck" comes up with

https://headfonics.com/2012/09/sennheiser-hd700-its-a-tough-market/

" Let go straight to the nitty gritty of my split personality when it comes to the HD700. If you scan the net right now you are going to come across a few camps of thought. Those that possess the frequency charts will tell you that the HD700 is a basket case of a frequency curve with a smooth bass, sucked out mids and a jack rabbit of a treble line that doesn’t know the meaning of peace and quiet. Most are not complimentary and to be honest when you look at it you have to agree. It is an ugly line no doubt about it."

I don't know what all the curves and stuff mean exactly but "sucked out mids" is exactly what I just heard. It seems Grado is not the only company with sycophantic fanboys.

Just threw the Grado 325e's back on.

I am not insane. These sound fantastic. Knee slapping ho down fantastic. I go another round with the Sennheisers and the PS500e's it seems. The other Beyerdynamics come today but I am guessing they'll turn around pretty fast.

[doublepost=1534347656][/doublepost]OK direct head to head between the 325e and the PS500e -

They both sound freaking awesome and the PS500e definitely has the increased bass extension reported by most reviews. I find it to be a distinctive step up from the 325e. Beyonce's All Night bass line walk is back and its more filled in on the PS500e. On the 325e it now sounds a bit too high register. I almost said to myself that it didnt sound quite.. bright enough and was almost muddy on the PS500e but thats not it, it just sounds like how bass is supposed to sound. I think I will need to buy it if I end up going the Grado route. I gotta go back to the Sennheisers and see what we got cooking.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Huh. Interesting thoughts. As mentioned, I've been using the HD700s for more than a year now, after upgrading from 598s. I tried out the HD800s and liked them, but they seemed too analytical to me. For me, the 700s hit a sweet spot between detail and warmth. I like their detail and soundstage -- to me, they sound big and open and somewhat light, though I wouldn't call it airy, per se. I like the bass, but I like bass that is articulate moreso than heavy, so that's definitely a personal preference.

That said, I have been eyeing moving over to something from either Beyerdynamic or Grado. Ken Rockwell, whose camera reviews I trust and love, thinks really highly of Beyerdynamic. And Grados were where I started; my 598s were an upgrade from SR80s.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Huh. Interesting thoughts. As mentioned, I've been using the HD700s for more than a year now, after upgrading from 598s. I tried out the HD800s and liked them, but they seemed too analytical to me. For me, the 700s hit a sweet spot between detail and warmth. I like their detail and soundstage -- to me, they sound big and open and somewhat light, though I wouldn't call it airy, per se. I like the bass, but I like bass that is articulate moreso than heavy, so that's definitely a personal preference.

That said, I have been eyeing moving over to something from either Beyerdynamic or Grado. Ken Rockwell, whose camera reviews I trust and love, thinks really highly of Beyerdynamic. And Grados were where I started; my 598s were an upgrade from SR80s.

Yeah I think personal taste is huge in this. I will be honest though I almost thought the HD 700s were defective before I read up a little. I think I just have a different preference and those are way on the other side of things for my taste. Beyerdynamic Amiron's got reviewed above and I wasn't a fan, though if you like the HD 700s I think maybe worth checking out. Here's the thing, Amazing pays shipping both ways so there is literally no penalty to try it out and see for yourself. I have the Beyer 880s and 990s coming too so we'll see what we got. What DAC/amp are you using again?

The Mojo, again, has been the top of the line (I just ordered an open box full warranty one in the serial number range of the brand new one I have been using, that one was $570 but the open box in the same range was $399, no brainer) and I cannot reiterate enough how amazing the DACport HD is. Without the Mojo I would for sure have ended up with it.

Also, watch that audio guy's Youtube channel I posted above. Super interesting content.
[doublepost=1534359561][/doublepost]Beyerdynamic 990 Pros

Sounds good! My favorite Beyerdynamic so far but not better than the Grados or the Sennheiser. They are comfy and lovely in that way and the sound quality is pretty good but not as well rounded as the others. There is an organ line on that track Sting Me which if it doesn't hold its own in clarity and volume with the two guitars wailing at the same time it demonstrates to me that the headphones cant hit that many different sounds at once. Again, they sound GOOD and not my favorite.

Last edited:

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
I'm using the Mojo.

And I think you're right. I also wonder about adjustment periods. I've heard lots of debates about whether headphones need "burn-in periods," and I don't argue one way or the other. But I do think that our ears/brains can sometimes benefit from extended trial periods and acclimate to different sound signatures.

I did watch the YouTube channel. Especially with regard to the Mojo. Very interesting stuff.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Beyerdynamic 880 Pro

A less good version of the 990. Not gonna take too much time here. For the price the 990 is the unit to have if youre into that sound.

HIFIMAN HE400i
A decent sounding pair of cans but sounds a bit like the sound is coming through a pair of cans. A little hollow and a little far. Again, Im all about that Grado presence and right up close sound. No thanks!

It is now down to the PS500e v The Sennheiser Brothers. Final round. I am literally sick of unboxing headphones. No mas.

A side note. Why can't I have a set that sounds as good as the Grados with the comfort of the Beyers. Come on folks.

Last edited:

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Can you talk a bit more about the 880 vs the 990? I've heard somewhat opposite -- that the 990 is more clinical/analytical, while the 880 splits the balance between it and the veiled 770s, for a clear but still warm/fun sound. Which ohms version did you try?

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Can you talk a bit more about the 880 vs the 990? I've heard somewhat opposite -- that the 990 is more clinical/analytical, while the 880 splits the balance between it and the veiled 770s, for a clear but still warm/fun sound. Which ohms version did you try?
I can see the analytical comment I guess. Whats the line between detailed and analytical? The Grados feel really detailed. I wouldn't call the 990's necessarily analytical just like a step back in presence from the Grados and all the ambient sounds (high hats, organs, light horns) were just a little too further set back. After reading a little about analytical the consensus seems to be that it means "lifeless". In that case, a bit. It was on the "natural" side of lifeless, if that makes sense. Like interesting to listen to but not lifeless. The 880s did feel like they had a bit more fun or play, but less detailed. Hope that helps. I am pretty much resigned to the fact that I like that forward in your face Grado sound.

Winners circle is the Chord Mojo for the DAC and the PS500e's with G cups for the headphones. Deep honorable mention and honestly best value of all products tested to the DACport HD and I still have some love for the Dragonfly Red though it went back today, too. The Sennheiser HD 650 was my favorite competitor headphone.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbautis2

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I’ve been persuaded to buy some Phonon SMB-02s and 4000s. A new audiophile friend who used to own a store tells me I’m making a grave mistake by not doing so, so we’ll see. I’m away for a week but will review upon my return.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Ok next batch of headphones reviewed w the Mojo

Phonon SMB-02
These are on ear. Nicely made. They sound good, a little mottled bass. I prefer the Grados to these still. I prefer hearing the precision of the bass notes to the "cloud of bass" sound that these offer. I will say that they sound great in the mids and highs. I can see how somebody else would like these a lot. But I wont be keeping them.

Phonon 4000
These are the more expensive of the 2. They are more precise in pretty much every way, smoother on the corners, too. I feel oddly cared for by these headphones. They are trying their earnest best. For the price really not bad. I see why my friend recommended them.

Audeze LCD2s
They're enormous. And at lower volumes uninteresting to me. They sound decent. Turn them up and you get a broad sound stage that does a good job separating the instruments and vocals. They handled the volume really nicely. Still not as interesting as the Grados to me. Cord is also dramatic and weird woven black thread thing.

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
Based on this thread tried out some Grado 325s, but they reminded me why I switched from 80s -- good lord are they uncomfortable to wear.

On the other hand, also thought I'd try out a the HifiMan Sundara, and I'm debating between them and the HD700s.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
Honestly I'd just like apple to try and take the quality argument off of the table.

All files (even standard AAC 256) are downsampled slightly over bluetooth, in truth it probably does not matter but in 2019 I'd like to see them step up the quality for both apple music and their choice of bluetooth codec. Always the sense that I am getting better quality using a droid.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Honestly I'd just like apple to try and take the quality argument off of the table.

All files (even standard AAC 256) are downsampled slightly over bluetooth, in truth it probably does not matter but in 2019 I'd like to see them step up the quality for both apple music and their choice of bluetooth codec. Always the sense that I am getting better quality using a droid.
interesting. I bet when that new Apple headset debuts it will have some new kind of chip in it that does just this. Lossless still feels a way off for consumer compression.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Apple AirPods Max

They are quite good. Not appreciably better than the AirPods Pro to justify the extra purchase and having a whole other pair of headphones around though of all the closed back headphones I auditioned here these are probably the most neutrally enjoyable and pleasing. Really fine job. But if I am spending $600 including tax to get a real audio experience Ill spend another $400 and get the mojo + Grado PS500 combo any day. And if somebody gave me pair of these I would not complain. Id actually listen to them. There is a way that like to really be able to hear all the instruments no matter what is going on in the music. They are pretty clear. Not as clear as the Grado + Mojo. That combo is just insane. For $300 Id do it. Not for $600. But nice job Apple. And I will keep my AirPods Pro.

Midnight from the inside out does RIP. That song should RIP.

Sting Me. Its ok. Good. Didn't make me smile involuntarily. Thats what I look for.

Beyonce All Night from Lemonade - Side note - I just have to marvel at how pretty this song is. It sounds good. And it can sound better. Id be haunted knowing just how much better if I got these.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.