Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Apple AirPods Max

They are quite good. Not appreciably better than the AirPods Pro to justify the extra purchase and having a whole other pair of headphones around though of all the closed back headphones I auditioned here these are probably the most neutrally enjoyable and pleasing. Really fine job. But if I am spending $600 including tax to get a real audio experience Ill spend another $400 and get the mojo + Grado PS500 combo any day. And if somebody gave me pair of these I would not complain. Id actually listen to them. There is a way that like to really be able to hear all the instruments no matter what is going on in the music. They are pretty clear. Not as clear as the Grado + Mojo. That combo is just insane. For $300 Id do it. Not for $600. But nice job Apple. And I will keep my AirPods Pro.

Midnight from the inside out does RIP. That song should RIP.

Sting Me. Its ok. Good. Didn't make me smile involuntarily. Thats what I look for.

Beyonce All Night from Lemonade - Side note - I just have to marvel at how pretty this song is. It sounds good. And it can sound better. Id be haunted knowing just how much better if I got these.

Hi RC,

Happy new year! 😀

Great you tagged your 25th Dec comments onto your old thread. Awesome to read the old thread from years back! 👍

I’m going back to read it all in slow time again when I get the chance - Great write ups, I loved the descriptoons of how each component sounded to you, and your discussions with your foil, Mr W 😀

Regards
Martin

Reactions: RumorConsumer

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Hi RC,

Happy new year! 😀

Great you tagged your 25th Dec comments onto your old thread. Awesome to read the old thread from years back! 👍

I’m going back to read it all in slow time again when I get the chance - Great write ups, I loved the descriptoons of how each component sounded to you, and your discussions with your foil, Mr W 😀

Regards
Martin
Sweet of you to drop by!

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
A new category - speakers! I have recently gotten a pair of KEF LSX and a KEF Kube 8b subwoofer. Absolutely stupidly good sounding speakers. The LSX alone are great and I thought ok just this once lets really have some candy so I got the sub. LSX fine alone. Sub - whoa baby. Crossover at 70 and 60. Zero gain in LFE mode. Nasty AF. Wall of sound is about 94%. Bigger speakers would get you further but damn I am satisfied.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
A new category - speakers! I have recently gotten a pair of KEF LSX and a KEF Kube 8b subwoofer. Absolutely stupidly good sounding speakers. The LSX alone are great and I thought ok just this once lets really have some candy so I got the sub. LSX fine alone. Sub - whoa baby. Crossover at 70 and 60. Zero gain in LFE mode. Nasty AF. Wall of sound is about 94%. Bigger speakers would get you further but damn I am satisfied.

Is this the wireless version?

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
OK going back in. Trying a set of Focal Clear MGs and Grado GS1000e or x we'll see. Both with the Mojo, which I scored on eBay for $200 used and in perfect condition.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Clear MGs were way too dry sounding for $1500 yick. No thank you. I also tried the Focal Celestee and these I found much more interesting. More articulate and more immediate, but I will likely still go the Grade PS500e route.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
And I picked up a Chord Mojo original for $200 on eBay that has a weird USB dropout issue that happens every 45 min or so the music just goes out and then comes back a few seconds later. They gave me a good refund so I got it for $75, and at the least I deal with the oddity, use it in optical mode which is supposed to sound better, or just keep it around as a reference DAC. I am going to try the Topping line of headphone amps starting with the DX3Pro+ and the DX5. Lets see how we do...

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Update
Bought a pair of Grado PS500e and GS2000e on eBay for $425 and $750 respectively. Great deals I think.

Ok so I got the Topping DX3 Pro+ and its great. For $200 it's really great. I still like the Mojo more because to my ear it has a wider soundstage but the Topping is not far behind. Detail wise its great. Im using Focal Celestee headphones that I am looking forward to chucking back to Amazon once my Grados arrive. Then we will really hit the slopes with these DACs. In the meantime, the DX5 comes along later in the week and my optical adapter comes tomorrow which will give me reasons to waste time in a re-test via optical over USB.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
How have you been getting on with the Kef LSX? I briefly considered these as 'possibles' for my home studio then common sense kicked in when I realised that kind of cost would be better spent elsewhere considering I do it all as a hobby not as a profession. I settled instead for Kali IN-5's at 275 each (now 289 each in the space of a year, but that's inflation for you).

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
How have you been getting on with the Kef LSX? I briefly considered these as 'possibles' for my home studio then common sense kicked in when I realised that kind of cost would be better spent elsewhere considering I do it all as a hobby not as a profession. I settled instead for Kali IN-5's at 275 each (now 289 each in the space of a year, but that's inflation for you).
The LSX have been fantastic. They are a tad finicky here and there in terms of the wireless chips but I found a workaround for that which is to use a TP Link access point in client mode so it's totally transparent to the NIC on the speakers. That works great. Sound quality they are fantastic especially for my relatively small space (20'x25' room or so). If I was in a larger space the LS50W would tempt me greatly but I also dont like the feel of "A DJ lives here" that the larger speakers sometimes can have if theyre inadequately placed in a room that doesn't fit them.

Also, now that LSX II are out, the originals can be had for like $500-$600 used on eBay. That, to me, is an ultra steal price for these things.

Reactions: MajorFubar

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Update
Bought a pair of Grado PS500e and GS2000e on eBay for $425 and $750 respectively. Great deals I think.

Ok so I got the Topping DX3 Pro+ and its great. For $200 it's really great. I still like the Mojo more because to my ear it has a wider soundstage but the Topping is not far behind. Detail wise its great. Im using Focal Celestee headphones that I am looking forward to chucking back to Amazon once my Grados arrive. Then we will really hit the slopes with these DACs. In the meantime, the DX5 comes along later in the week and my optical adapter comes tomorrow which will give me reasons to waste time in a re-test via optical over USB.
Ok so I just trialed the DX3 Pro +. Good sound, "neutral" and true but unexciting to me. Mojo 1 wins. Next up DX5. Wow it has "more" detail, more breadth. Definitely acceptable, really good listening but still not stealing my heart over the Mojo 1. Listen to with Grado PS500e. Next up Grado GS2000e.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Ok so... the Grado PS500e and the GS2000e connected to a Chord Mojo1. In terms of immediacy and presence the PS500e is absolutely the winner. It makes me slap my knee and it just has that infectious grab my consciousness feeling. The GS2000e is a little more distant but the detail... I can hear bright sounds in guitar strums I could not hear on the PS500e. I can hear all the different vocal tones on harmonies I could not hear. It's pretty wild. Theyre both very different beasts doing different jobs. I think I will probably keep the PS500e for half the price and even try the PS1000e to see how much more I get out of it. But man... both pretty amazing.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Ok I have decided to take the plunge and got a set of Grado RS1X - their latest top end of the normal people headphones. They def need a break in period but they already betray a ridiculous amount of detail that I am sure will only get better from here. I also sprung for the Chord Mojo2 which should be here in a few days.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
8 hours in and the RS1X is the best headphone Ive ever heard hands down. I dont even have the Chord Mojo or Mojo2 at this moment so just going off the 2021 MacBook Pro built in which is a bit cold and inflexible. The Mojo 1 is *far* better and this still sounds ridiculous.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Got the Grado Hemp. No no no. Would take a SR325X over these. Muddy and kind of stoned sounding. No thanks. RS1X is $400 better.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Ok since this last post I got a Mojo 2, it's great. Like really great. And I heard a Chord Hugo 2. I had to have one. So I got that too. Now I have both Mojo models and a Hugo 2 and I think Im good for now. I also got my Grado SR225s back from a friend to join the RS1x and they still sound just incredible. The Hugo 2 is another level of depth. My standard audition track, Sting Me, shined. The Hugo 2 reveals more detail in the snare drum... at least thats where I first noticed it. I can a/b it with the Mojo 2 and its obvious.

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Ok since this last post I got a Mojo 2, it's great. Like really great. And I heard a Chord Hugo 2. I had to have one. So I got that too. Now I have both Mojo models and a Hugo 2 and I think Im good for now. I also got my Grado SR225s back from a friend to join the RS1x and they still sound just incredible. The Hugo 2 is another level of depth. My standard audition track, Sting Me, shined. The Hugo 2 reveals more detail in the snare drum... at least thats where I first noticed it. I can a/b it with the Mojo 2 and its obvious.
Hi, I didn't expect DAC/AMP talk here, but I'm glad I did! I have a Mojo 2 on the way, and plan to drive my new Grado Hemp headphones, and probably M&D MW75, as well as B&W P8 and P9.

Query, I've been reading about some reports that using Apple iPhone and iPad with the Mojo 2 is tricky. Reports of white noise, and simply not working are out there. Any advice would be much appreciated. I did read that using Apple AV dongles, and official Apple cables work. But I was hoping for a simple, no dongle and higher end USB cable.

IMG_1066.jpeg

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Got the Grado Hemp. No no no. Would take a SR325X over these. Muddy and kind of stoned sounding. No thanks. RS1X is $400 better.
I had a hard time deciding between the the 325 and the Hemp. Years ago I tried a Grado 500???....The treble, to my ears was piercing. I read the Hemps had tamer treble, and I am enjoying them with my Schiit Asgard 3 and have a Chord Mojo 2 on the way.

But, I have a feeling the the Hemp headphones are just the "door opener" to my newly found love for Grado. So I'm open to even higher end Grado headphones than the Hemp. Any suggestions/recommendations from Grado lovers? PS I'm am an old school, traditional stereo system lover that has been searching for a reasonable facsimile of that sound via headphones.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
I had a hard time deciding between the the 325 and the Hemp. Years ago I tried a Grado 500???....The treble, to my ears was piercing. I read the Hemps had tamer treble, and I am enjoying them with my Schiit Asgard 3 and have a Chord Mojo 2 on the way.

But, I have a feeling the the Hemp headphones are just the "door opener" to my newly found love for Grado. So I'm open to even higher end Grado headphones than the Hemp. Any suggestions/recommendations from Grado lovers? PS I'm am an old school, traditional stereo system lover that has been searching for a reasonable facsimile of that sound via headphones.
Hey! Welcome and nice to have some company. I was shocked to find all these notifications.

So I am in an interesting position.

I ordered the Grado RS1x a while ago and it's just freakishly good. Great pairing with the Mojo 2 but as I think I might have written about here, the sound wasn't quite what I was wanting. I upgraded to a Hugo 2 (can find them for $1300 or so) and it absolutely unquestionably hits the spot. If you like the Mojo 2, do not listen to the Hugo 2 it will mess you up. It does everything the Mojo 2 does but somehow with more spaciousness and more... musicality? It's more natural. I dont know how to explain it but it made me smile in a way the Mojo 1 did but the Mojo 2 never did. It bummed me out but it's true.

The RS1x is amazing and it's the highest you can go using the standard ear cups. Grado makes different varieties

SR - "prestige" series consumer still great
RS - "reference" - like the high end daddy of the SR series
GS - "statement series" - has the big G ear cups that make the sound distant. But these are crazy detailed. Not for those who want to feel like you're sitting on the stage or in the first row. More for those who like being 10 rows back. Not my preference.

So then, the Grado group on Facebook came into view. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2222321420/

Great group to ask questions on and get real info from people who own all the gear. But two things happened.

As I wrote about here earlier, the PS500e were the best pair Id heard before the RS1x except the GS2000e which are incredible detail wise but they are not nearly as intimate with their larger G cups that take the music away from your ears. The L cup is the closer cup and I cannot imagine listening much without it. I loved the PS500e but I wanted something better which is where the RS1x came in.

So on this group, the owner of the Grado company posts that he has cooked up a batch of prototype PS500x headphones for $500 or something. This is significant because they dont make that headphone and they are clear they have discontinued the PS line. I couldn't resist. I bought them. I am currently on a trip and they were shipped home so I havent heard them yet. I cant really understand why Id want two pairs but Im willing to let my senses guide me. If they are that good and that much fun in addition to the RS1x, I'll keep them. If not, I'll sell them.

Then the same dude puts up an ad saying he did the same thing with a PS2000x. For two grand. I bought them too. I have to know how good they sound. We'll see. I will probably end up selling them all. The RS1x will be hard if not impossible to beat and I can't see myself holding on to so many pairs. I'm just not that sophisticated and I find everything I like sounds incredible on the RS1x.

Last edited:
Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Well trying to prepare for the Chord Mojo's delivery I've been digging as deep as I can to prepare for its use. I was happy to find via web search a reminder that the Music app in setting needs to have the lossless mode engaged. So I did adjust my iPhone and iPad's settings for Wifi streaming.

Why this didn't occur to me before I don't know why. I did not turn on the lossless mode for cellular use due to the warning it would eat up a copious amount of cellular. While of do have "limitless" AT&T service I don't believe for a minute that there isn't a catch/slow down after gobbling up so much data.

On my phone I do download a good amount of Apple Music for on the road use. But, now I'm wondering if my settings on my iPhone were not set to lossless are my downloaded previously downloaded music files stuck in a lower resolution?

Sorry to be such a fussbudget, but after spending so much money for the Mojo 2, and accessories I really want to get the most I can out of a portable music system. Fingers crossed I can tell the difference. 😄

RumorConsumer

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2016
Well trying to prepare for the Chord Mojo's delivery I've been digging as deep as I can to prepare for its use. I was happy to find via web search a reminder that the Music app in setting needs to have the lossless mode engaged. So I did adjust my iPhone and iPad's settings for Wifi streaming.

Why this didn't occur to me before I don't know why. I did not turn on the lossless mode for cellular use due to the warning it would eat up a copious amount of cellular. While of do have "limitless" AT&T service I don't believe for a minute that there isn't a catch/slow down after gobbling up so much data.

On my phone I do download a good amount of Apple Music for on the road use. But, now I'm wondering if my settings on my iPhone were not set to lossless are my downloaded previously downloaded music files stuck in a lower resolution?

Sorry to be such a fussbudget, but after spending so much money for the Mojo 2, and accessories I really want to get the most I can out of a portable music system. Fingers crossed I can tell the difference. 😄
I totally get it. Fussbudget to fussbudget. Honestly I would not put it past the app to not download the new version. I don’t use Apple Music for streaming but that’s worth checking into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.