Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakebrosy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
So, now what will I stick on my car window so I feel more intelligent and financially superior to the rest of the rabble?

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Good, because I'm tired of going to our beaches and parks and other nature sites and having them just LITTERED with Apple stickers everywhere! /s

• Haha
Reactions: TVreporter

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
That MacBook with stickers is obsolete now anyway due to the M4 ;). So really do you think Apple’s going to skip M4 for MacBook’s? it looks like they will be skipping M3 for desktops.

ApAx

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
United States
Those stickers were nice maybe 20 years ago to put on your car back window. It just doesn't feel the same to do that anymore.

I remember when the stickers really meant something - it was a way to show that you had a Mac, and good taste. But now that Apple is not the underdog, and one of the biggest companies in the world, they make a lot less sense.

Great. I was literally 2 stickers away from covering my entire house..........

When I bought my first Mac for college, I was so excited to put a sticker on my car window. When I got to my first lecture it was like one of these web photos:

main-qimg-991060d1a134f2c78047b933aa9839b9-lq.jpeg

When I upgraded my MBP years later, I was disappointed that the stickers were not Space Gray like the computer.

The stickers definitely made sense when Apple was trying to brand itself as the "I'm cooler than you" hipster tech company. Now they are the first things I move to the trash pile when unboxing a new device.

Reactions: sdfox7

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
When I bought my first Mac for college, I was so excited to put a sticker on my car window. When I got to my first lecture it was like one of these web photos:

View attachment 2376206

When I upgraded my MBP years later, I was disappointed that the stickers were not Space Gray like the computer.

The stickers definitely made sense when Apple was trying to brand itself as the "I'm cooler than you" hipster tech company. Now they are the first things I move to the trash pile when unboxing a new device.
I remember when all those apples would’ve been upside down…

inuragon

macrumors member
May 10, 2023
"New iPads won’t include stickers in the box due to Apple’s environmental goals"
They could make their devices more repairable to decrease the amount of devices going to landfills, but it's much better for them to do miniscule changes like this that don't have a big impact but still impress idiots.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
This would have never happened during the Jobs era, time for Cook to leave Apple. You know who else didn't have stickers? Compaq, Tim wants Apple to be like Compaq and we all know that ended. Apple is doomed.
In the beginning, there was a difference between Zales and Cartier jewelry stores, but not anymore. Remember, Tim is a died-in-the-wool CFO at heart. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: maxoakland

dlopan

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2008
Albuquerque
More insanity from apple. It does make sense but worrying about something so trivial is trivial. Get rid of the box too. They can put the ipad in a generic amazon box with lousy padding.

FineWoven

Suspended
Sep 18, 2023
Let's do the math... a half gram times millions = millions of grams = thousands of kilograms... so yes, it makes a difference.
Oh well when you put it that way, it would actually be worse for the earth if I DIDN’T buy a new iPad. Sure they have to mine more than 75 rare earth elements to make all the components required to achieve the final product, and then ship those millions of units around the world on giant diesel-guzzling monsters that spew tons of toxic waste into the air. But hey, scrapping those fun little stickers saved a few kilos in weight! Yay! Coral reefs saved 💪

Why do I get the feeling you’re also the type of person who thinks buying two of a thing to get the third one half off is saving them money, and that not taking advantage of such an offer just doesn’t make sense because look at all the money I saved by doing so!

alexanderlindo

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2023
I am an Apple user and fan since day one, owning the Apple II and using Apple products throughout my entire life thus far. I strongly disagree with all this deprivation. First the polishing cloth was removed from the box of the MacBook Pro, then the glowing Apple logo (which signifies life) and along with it the extension cable. Everyone was at aww seeing the room full of glowing white Apple logos in the dark at Steve Jobs's keynote. Then the charger was removed from the box of the iPhone and now the stickers are being removed as well. Whats next? The removal of the charger from the box of the MacBook Air and Pro, just like the iPhone? I don't think so! I am 100% all for the retaining the integrity and sustainability of the environment but enough is enough. All of these accessories and product features that have been removed are part of the premium one-of-a-kind experience that we as Apple customers expect when buying Apple products. I use my stickers and many others do as well. Many look forward to their Apple stickers as part of the unboxing experience. Bit by bit everything is being taken away, soon the product will be of little value. Can you imagine unboxing the latest MacBook Pro or MacBook Air and all that is in the box is the device, no charger, no charging cable, no documents, no stickers, just the device itself. There probably wont be anymore unboxing videos. Customers will have less and less reason to purchase products directly from Apple at full price and on official online retailers like Amazon. Many will just buy used in "Like New" condition products on Ebay that ship generic cardboard boxes and bubble wrap since the entire unboxing experience is gradually being taken away.

Last edited:

revelcos

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
In 2025, Apple will hand only hand the devices (MacBook, iPhone, iPad, everything) directly to the buyers to protect the environment. No box, no charger, no plastic covering, or paper screen protector over the screen. Just the naked device. For the environment.

sleeptodream

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2022
Never had much use for them myself, but I know timmy-tightwad is happy! 🪙
When I was younger I would slap one on the rear passenger window of my car. These days I wanna be more incognito given how many crazy people are running around. Don’t want some blue haired nut job with a horseshoe in their nose yelling out that I’m an elitist. 😜
Blue and pink haired nut job with a septum and lip piercing here :) I love Apple, and so do my friends, we’re actually pretty nice if you get to know us :p

• Love

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
How far back did the tradition of including stickers go? I'm almost certain it predates the return of Jobs.
1977 Apple II was when they started - I thought it was the 84 Mac but fact checked myself and was wrong and surprised.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
Yeah. Anything non-essential can be eliminated. If it saves $00.001, thats $.001 x 200,000,000 to pump the numbers for the shareholder meeting. Old Apple built a value driven market, but they've firmly been in the era of hatchet men since about 2017. Anything not nailed down or on fire gets the chop.
That's the way it looks to me to. I know stickers aren't a big deal as so many people are pointing out -- but that's kind of the point. It was just a nice little bonus. This isn't the first nice little bonus taken away and it won't be the last.

That's the problem. It's symbolic

Also it really irks me when Apple uses "environmentalism" as an excuse to do these things. It's so dishonest and smarmy. It's treating their customers like they're stupid

Additionally, if Apple really cared about environmentalism, they'd make their products easily repairable, upgradeable, and last longer so they need to be replaced less often. That would make a real difference, unlike plastic-free packaging. And it would set the tone for the industry

Why not just keep it as an optional extra?
Looks like you have the option of requesting one at the store

Reactions: ThunderSkunk

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Looks like you have the option of requesting one at the store
So, if you buy online, you can drive to an Apple Store and get a free sticker? So Apple is saving the planet by not producing as many stickers and making the customers drive their fossil-fueled vehicles to their storefront to ask for a sticker?

Way to save the planet, Timmy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.