Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is $1499 a bit much for this display, or am I better off with the 27" Dell 5K?

• Get this 38" 4K LG display, it's worth it.

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Get the 27" 5K Dell display, it's a better value.

Votes: 24 34.8%

• Total voters

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Could you use a hub?
- No, it's not a matter of lacking the physical connection. You can have 4K at 30 Hz as well as USB 3.0 at the same time.
But since 60 Hz requires more bandwidth than 30 Hz, more lanes have to be dedicated to transporting that signal internally in the USB-C socket, in that way encroaching on lanes that would have otherwise been used for USB 3.0 bandwidth. In the end you have 60 Hz for your monitor, but you are left with USB 2.0 speeds for your other peripherals.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
- No, it's not a matter of lacking the physical connection. You can have 4K at 30 Hz as well as USB 3.0 at the same time.
But since 60 Hz requires more bandwidth than 30 Hz, more lanes have to be dedicated to transporting that signal internally in the USB-C socket, in that way encroaching on lanes that would have otherwise been used for USB 3.0 bandwidth. In the end you have 60 Hz for your monitor, but you are left with USB 2.0 speeds for your other peripherals.

Oh ok....I didn't think the display would need to use all 40Gps, leaving you able to use the display at 4K /60hz or perhaps 120hz for other 4K displays with higher frame rates. I did recall reading elsewhere that the 12 can use it without the patch. However, if you were planning on using multiple displays in the first place....I don't think the 12 would have been the best choice for the reason you stated.

Sorry for picking your brain, but you are really giving us all some really good stuff here. Here is one more for you. The MBP has two Thunderbolt ports. Since you only need one port to get one of these displays fired up and working at 60hz....I assume you can use both ports and get two of these monitors going? I'm pretty sure the card should be able to daisy chain the displays? And with that said, I'm pretty sure you can also fire two FULL 4K 60hz....how about120hz displays. And a 5k? I think you can only fire one up via MST? If the current specs are correct, you can only fire up one 5K display....and I believe the Dell has a refresh rate of 60hz.

However, you do have some 34" LG displays that are a bit shy of 4K yet have display rates of 144 and 165hz. I take it these displays with such high frame rates are suited more for those who use the monitors for gaming? Someone like myself who has never really touched a video game before in his life, will really only be using this display for rendering photos and video. I was going to get the 5K display from Dell...but a lot of people have been raving and going nuts over this display. Is it worth $1300...or $1500? I don't know. A 34" from LG with a slightly lower resolution WITH Thunderbolt ports with 165hz rates sell for half....maybe less. I might be able to pick up 2X - 34" displays for the price of a one new 38" displays with a slightly higher resolution....yet slower refresh rate.

TAK! ;)

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Oh ok....I didn't think the display would need to use all 40Gps, leaving you able to use the display at 4K /60hz or perhaps 120hz for other 4K displays with higher frame rates. I did recall reading elsewhere that the 12 can use it without the patch. However, if you were planning on using multiple displays in the first place....I don't think the 12 would have been the best choice for the reason you stated.

Sorry for picking your brain, but you are really giving us all some really good stuff here. Here is one more for you. The MBP has two Thunderbolt ports. Since you only need one port to get one of these displays fired up and working at 60hz....I assume you can use both ports and get two of these monitors going? I'm pretty sure the card should be able to daisy chain the displays? And with that said, I'm pretty sure you can also fire two FULL 4K 60hz....how about120hz displays. And a 5k? I think you can only fire one up via MST? If the current specs are correct, you can only fire up one 5K display....and I believe the Dell has a refresh rate of 60hz.

However, you do have some 34" LG displays that are a bit shy of 4K yet have display rates of 144 and 165hz. I take it these displays with such high frame rates are suited more for those who use the monitors for gaming? Someone like myself who has never really touched a video game before in his life, will really only be using this display for rendering photos and video. I was going to get the 5K display from Dell...but a lot of people have been raving and going nuts over this display. Is it worth $1300...or $1500? I don't know. A 34" from LG with a slightly lower resolution WITH Thunderbolt ports with 165hz rates sell for half....maybe less. I might be able to pick up 2X - 34" displays for the price of a one new 38" displays with a slightly higher resolution....yet slower refresh rate.

TAK! ;)
- Okay. So lots of things here.

The Retina MacBook 12" doesn't have 40 Gbps available. That's Thunderbolt 3 speeds, which the MacBook isn't equipped with. It has DisplayPort 1.2 for displays (which comes in at around 17 Gbps), power, and USB 3.0 in its USB-C port.
No, multiple displays probably isn't ideal on a MacBook; not sure it's even possible.

You can use the two Thunderbolt 2 ports on a recent Retina MacBook Pro to drive two 4K displays at 60 Hz, yes - contingent on GPU support. Only the Late 2013 and never 15" machines with dedicated graphics are capable of it.
5K is only possible on the most recent 15" with dedicated graphics, and it requires both Thunderbolt 2 ports. This is because the DisplayPort 1.2 standard doesn't have enough bandwidth for 5K, so 5K monitors have to utilise two cables and then stitch together those separate signals into one image in the monitor.
Daisy-chaining via DisplayPort 1.2 MST is not yet available in OS X as far as I am aware. It works in Windows on Macs with Thunderbolt 2. But that DisplayPort 1.2 bandwidth has to be shared between whatever number of displays you connect over that one cable. Usually that means a limit of 2 x 2560x1440 or 3 x 1920x1080 in daisy-chaining configurations. Certainly no daisy-chaining of multiple 4K monitors.

Those very high refresh rate monitors are usually for gaming, and they are usually (perhaps always) lower quality TN panels compared with the high quality IPS panels in the monitors we've discussed here. TN is capable of lower latency and higher refresh rates but has inferior colours and worse viewing angles.
For anything but gaming, IPS is far superior.

Not sure how good your Danish is, but: Det var så lidt! ;)

Reactions: DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
- Okay. So lots of things here.

The Retina MacBook 12" doesn't have 40 Gbps available. That's Thunderbolt 3 speeds, which the MacBook isn't equipped with. It has DisplayPort 1.2 for displays (which comes in at around 17 Gbps), power, and USB 3.0 in its USB-C port.
No, multiple displays probably isn't ideal on a MacBook; not sure it's even possible.

You can use the two Thunderbolt 2 ports on a recent Retina MacBook Pro to drive two 4K displays at 60 Hz, yes - contingent on GPU support. Only the Late 2013 and never 15" machines with dedicated graphics are capable of it.
5K is only possible on the most recent 15" with dedicated graphics, and it requires both Thunderbolt 2 ports. This is because the DisplayPort 1.2 standard doesn't have enough bandwidth for 5K, so 5K monitors have to utilise two cables and then stitch together those separate signals into one image in the monitor.
Daisy-chaining via DisplayPort 1.2 MST is not yet available in OS X as far as I am aware. It works in Windows on Macs with Thunderbolt 2. But that DisplayPort 1.2 bandwidth has to be shared between whatever number of displays you connect over that one cable. Usually that means a limit of 2 x 2560x1440 or 3 x 1920x1080 in daisy-chaining configurations. Certainly no daisy-chaining of multiple 4K monitors.

Those very high refresh rate monitors are usually for gaming, and they are usually (perhaps always) lower quality TN panels compared with the high quality IPS panels in the monitors we've discussed here. TN is capable of lower latency and higher refresh rates but has inferior colours and worse viewing angles.
For anything but gaming, IPS is far superior.

Not sure how good your Danish is, but: Det var så lidt! ;)

That's a wealth of info, thanks so much!! Good to know....I'm using the latest 15" MBP so I'm good with both 4&5k. I was aware of the 15" MBP capabilities...but not the 12s. I'm sure that info will come in handy to someone else. I actually did learn a great deal trying to find out all this info. Thanks!! I think the latest LG 34" IPS has a refresh rate of 144hz and those are running for $699...half of what the 3.5" larger 37.5" model runs. Not sure if $700 is worth an extra few inches. And the 38" has a rate of 60hz and the 34" has a rate of 144hz. Not sure why they couldn't get any higher with the 38". And I believe the contrast ration is much higher on the 34" model as well...

Mit dansk er forfærdelig.... :(

Harry

raw1261

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
Ok. I just got my Mdp to Dp CABLE [no adapter] and it DOES WORK at 60 hz... it actually gives you options of
30 hz
60 hz
75 hz
I did use the quartz to verify 60 hz and its correct.
Hope this helps for your decision. Gotta say it is a beautiful picture tho. I'm going to get a 2nd soon now I know it will work.

Reactions: DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Ok. I just got my Mdp to Dp CABLE [no adapter] and it DOES WORK at 60 hz... it actually gives you options of
30 hz
60 hz
75 hz
I did use the quartz to verify 60 hz and its correct.
Hope this helps for your decision. Gotta say it is a beautiful picture tho. I'm going to get a 2nd soon now I know it will work.

That's great news, congratulations!

Is 75hz just on the list or can you actually hit 75fps? I'm jealous....I think I may very well get one. I'm still on the fence debating if I should get 2X 34" instead. Did you get to watch a movie yet?

raw1261

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
That's great news, congratulations!

Is 75hz just on the list or can you actually hit 75fps? I'm jealous....I think I may very well get one. I'm still on the fence debating if I should get 2X 34" instead. Did you get to watch a movie yet?
It actually does do 75 hz. I tested it with quartz thing and yes it does work. Thanks for your help man.
It's a list of those 3 that you can choose from

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
It actually does do 75 hz. I tested it with quartz thing and yes it does work. Thanks for your help man.
It's a list of those 3 that you can choose from
No problem! 74??? That's fantastic!! Hope the B&H $200 gift card is around for a while longer.

Harry

wegster

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2006

That's interesting - looks like TB4 is now needed. ;)
Would the same hold true with a '2k' UW monitor like a 3440x1440 + USB from a single USB-C/TB3 port?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
That's interesting - looks like TB4 is now needed. ;)
Would the same hold true with a '2k' UW monitor like a 3440x1440 + USB from a single USB-C/TB3 port?
- Thunderbolt 3 is vastly different from the simple USB-C port on the Retina MacBook 12" (which is what I'm talking about in what you quoted).
Thunderbolt 3 will be plenty capable of 4K 60 Hz as well as USB 3.0 5 Gbps (and probably USB 3.1 10 Gbps) at the same time.

I'm pretty sure the Retina MacBook 12" can drive 3440 x 1440 at 60 Hz at the same time as offering USB 3.0.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution)

Reactions: wegster

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
From what I was LAST told, in order to get 60hz and the full potential of the monitor, all you need is the Thunderbolt to MDP adapter I posted a link to above. You can still connect using the HDMI port, but you will not get 60fps. This is what LG told me...and this is why I'm going to use the adapter instead. You said, "Just the hdmi - mini display port cable is needed?"....no HDMI. Only the cable to go from Thunderbolt to MDP....if you want 60fps. You can connect via HDMI, but you will only get a max of 40fps.

Harry
[doublepost=1476305107][/doublepost]For MAC I found this...

http://osxdaily.com/2015/04/02/monitor-frames-per-second-fps-live-mac-os-x/

Harry

Don't call it thunderbolt to mdp. That is incorrect. It is a mini display port to mini display port 1.2 cable, which supports 4K at 60hz.

raw1261

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2013
Yes it does have to be a Mini display port to DisplayPort CABLE and it does work @ 30hz...60hz....[ntsc] and 75 hz.... I verified it using a Mac pro2013

azt33

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Switzerland
That's a wealth of info, thanks so much!! Good to know....I'm using the latest 15" MBP so I'm good with both 4&5k. I was aware of the 15" MBP capabilities...but not the 12s. I'm sure that info will come in handy to someone else. I actually did learn a great deal trying to find out all this info. Thanks!! I think the latest LG 34" IPS has a refresh rate of 144hz and those are running for $699...half of what the 3.5" larger 37.5" model runs. Not sure if $700 is worth an extra few inches. And the 38" has a rate of 60hz and the 34" has a rate of 144hz. Not sure why they couldn't get any higher with the 38". And I believe the contrast ration is much higher on the 34" model as well...

Mit dansk er forfærdelig.... :(

Harry

Thank you both for all the info related to the 12" rMB! And Harry, you were right, this information is very useful - I have a 12" rMB and was looking at this screen. I don't really care about USB 3.0 speeds (I barely have any USB peripherals nowadays...), so that's a moot point for me. However, if the 12" rMB can drive this display at 60Hz, I would definitely be game to get this - both at work and at home!

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Don't call it thunderbolt to mdp. That is incorrect. It is a mini display port to mini display port 1.2 cable, which supports 4K at 60hz.

We covered that....I only said it that way to imply you were going from
Thank you both for all the info related to the 12" rMB! And Harry, you were right, this information is very useful - I have a 12" rMB and was looking at this screen. I don't really care about USB 3.0 speeds (I barely have any USB peripherals nowadays...), so that's a moot point for me. However, if the 12" rMB can drive this display at 60Hz, I would definitely be game to get this - both at work and at home!

Glad the info is of use to you my friend!! I have heard nothing but absolute wonders about this display!

Harry

Steveuk82

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
so i guess the new MacBookPros with thunderbolt 3 would change the situation for this monitor? would it now be a plug and play with the one wire?

Steveuk82

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
well i have both ordered so i guess we will see...i went for the 450 card, hope i don't regret that choice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.