Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is $1499 a bit much for this display, or am I better off with the 27" Dell 5K?

• Get this 38" 4K LG display, it's worth it.

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Get the 27" 5K Dell display, it's a better value.

Votes: 24 34.8%

• Total voters

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Yes, somebody mentioned that everything (adapter, cable, monitor) could affect the result.

By the way, I made a 3D model of a bar with square cross section. As I dragged the window that contains the model to the ultra wide screen, the square cross section became a rectangular cross section. Is it because the screen is ultra wide or because I have not been able to set up the external monitor resolution properly?

Resolution is not correct. The computer's graphics card needs to be able to power the pixels of this display... Everything will look distorted if you can't achieve maximum resolution... Graphics card and proper cables will help you achieve that. I've heard of 2012 MBP's working, but haven't read anything about older models.

Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Interestingly, while I often see the boundary of each window curved, When I drew a straight horizontal line across the canvas in Illustrator, the line appeared to be straight. How come?

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Interestingly, while I often see the boundary of each window curved, When I drew a straight horizontal line across the canvas in Illustrator, the line appeared to be straight. How come?

I don't see anything as curved on my display.

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
I've had my LG 38UC99-W for a month now, and I just tried it with my 2017 15" MBP. I used the supplied white ~24" USB-C cable and it powers and drives the monitor flawlessly with one cable. I was surprised as I didn't expect the USB-C port to receive video. One cable. Rocks.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I've had my LG 38UC99-W for a month now, and I just tried it with my 2017 15" MBP. I used the supplied white ~24" USB-C cable and it powers and drives the monitor flawlessly with one cable. I was surprised as I didn't expect the USB-C port to receive video. One cable. Rocks.

Thanks for your experience. It is a nice monitor but sometimes I have strange sensation using that monitor. I am trying to get the 43" version but it is always out of stock.

pleinairvr

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2017
FYI, in case anyone is wondering...

The LG 38UC99 does work on a MBP early 2013, Retina 15", via a Mini Display Port (in MBP's Thunderbolt) to Display Port (in LG's Display Port) cable in full resolution (3840 x 1600 @30 Hertz) on Yosemite.

No upgrade to Sierra was necessary, just the correct cable:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ESYRBB0

Good luck.
[doublepost=1513266003][/doublepost]
The boundaries of an app window are relatively far away from the horizontal line of the display, thus they appear a tiny bit curved. The more the edges come closer to the upper or lower border of the display, the more they appear curved.

When drawing a line in Illustrator you most likely will do it near the vertical and horizontal center, thus it isn't distorted like that. Move the line to the upper or lower edge of the canvas and you should see the same curvature like you have at the apps window.

Reactions: hajime

paterpan

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
Hoping someone can help. I need a longer 6' version of the cable this monitor came with. Apples USB-C to USB-C only charges and doesnt do video. I really only want to use 1 cable, as I bring my macbook to multiple destinations and have the same set up at all of them. 6' Cable would allow me to clear up valuable desk space.

Thanks in advance.

saturnfive

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2018
Hello I have a few questions on this monitor (or any of the ultrawide 38inch 3840x1600 monitors):-

I currently use a mid 2015 15" macbook pro via thunderbolt 2 into a 27" apple thunderbolt display which has keyboard, Wacom tablet and mouse connected to it via USB

This works great - I plug the thunderbolt cable into my macbook and the display switches on and all the USB stuff works as if it was plugged straight into the macbook.

I'd like to add something like the LG 37.5" ultrawide to this setup...
- Can I do this by plugging a mini display port to display port cable from the thunderbolt output of the Apple monitor into the LG?
- Will this get me 60hz at 3840x1600? on the LG?
- Will both monitors have the same nice "switch on when macbook is connected" behaviour I enjoy now?

If 27" Apple display + 38" ultrawide ends up being a bit insanely big, can I just use the LG (or another 38 inch monitor) on it's own to work as a USB hub for mouse etc.? (all these new monitors seem to be built around doing this via USB-C, which I don't have).....there isn't much info on the manufacturers sites as to whether the respective display port inputs on any of these 38" monitors will also carry a return signal for mice etc.

Other option is to buy a 2nd 27" thunderbolt display - not as big and the bezel is pretty chunky but they are a really nice display...

thanks for any advice!

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Hello I have a few questions on this monitor (or any of the ultrawide 38inch 3840x1600 monitors):-

I currently use a mid 2015 15" macbook pro via thunderbolt 2 into a 27" apple thunderbolt display which has keyboard, Wacom tablet and mouse connected to it via USB

This works great - I plug the thunderbolt cable into my macbook and the display switches on and all the USB stuff works as if it was plugged straight into the macbook.

I'd like to add something like the LG 37.5" ultrawide to this setup...
- Can I do this by plugging a mini display port to display port cable from the thunderbolt output of the Apple monitor into the LG?
- Will this get me 60hz at 3840x1600? on the LG?
- Will both monitors have the same nice "switch on when macbook is connected" behaviour I enjoy now?

If 27" Apple display + 38" ultrawide ends up being a bit insanely big, can I just use the LG (or another 38 inch monitor) on it's own to work as a USB hub for mouse etc.? (all these new monitors seem to be built around doing this via USB-C, which I don't have).....there isn't much info on the manufacturers sites as to whether the respective display port inputs on any of these 38" monitors will also carry a return signal for mice etc.

Other option is to buy a 2nd 27" thunderbolt display - not as big and the bezel is pretty chunky but they are a really nice display...

thanks for any advice!

Unless you have the new USB-C connection... You won't be able to use any USB devices connected to it. You can charge things off of it, but it won't be controlled by the Mac. There was a lot to your question... Hopefully I answered it?

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
Heh and I guess with a Thunderbolt 3 MacBook, you could add a Gamebox device, an RX580 costs $370, a 1070 costs $600 and a 1080 costs $690. Those things ship with various graphical outlet ports, including HDMI, and typically three other video output ports of varying flavours. Not sure how they'd improve MacOS, but they are said to sing on Windoze.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.