Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is $1499 a bit much for this display, or am I better off with the 27" Dell 5K?

• Get this 38" 4K LG display, it's worth it.

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Get the 27" 5K Dell display, it's a better value.

Votes: 24 34.8%

• Total voters

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Bigger the screen the less ppi. This has the same ppi as a 40 inch 4k tv.

Yeah, it's not good, but it's not too bad either. Sure wish the LG 5K came out at the same time... I would've purchased two of them.

RivalR

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2017
Great, thanks. I am convinced this is a software issue on the Mac OS/driver side, and not a firmware issue with the screen or something about the nature of the how it is set up to use USB-C. My 'solution' has been working consistently, so I'm assuming that eventually Apple will work it out. I'd think LG would be all over this, since this is really a terrific screen and has allowed me to completely clear up my desk and still have the real estate of two 24" monitors.

btw, I've been putting the machine to work the last couple of days and I've found that even if it manages to wake correctly some apps will immediately crash on wake like e.g. VideoLAN (VLC), Viber, Notes and Android Studio. I saw a thread somewhere where firefox users had the same problem. I've also had the problem occur (once) where the windowserver was becoming unresponsive and slowly locking up. I barely managed to save my edits to a keynote presentation I was working on. First time in a long time where I actually had to reboot a computer because it was crashing. Do you guys recognize this?

The problems are stacking up and I am seriously considering returning the machine, I was willing to take some early adopter problems but this is just crazy.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
btw, I've been putting the machine to work the last couple of days and I've found that even if it manages to wake correctly some apps will immediately crash on wake like e.g. VideoLAN (VLC), Viber, Notes and Android Studio. I saw a thread somewhere where firefox users had the same problem. I've also had the problem occur (once) where the windowserver was becoming unresponsive and slowly locking up. I barely managed to save my edits to a keynote presentation I was working on. First time in a long time where I actually had to reboot a computer because it was crashing. Do you guys recognize this?

The problems are stacking up and I am seriously considering returning the machine, I was willing to take some early adopter problems but this is just crazy.

I think you have a major issue with your computer... Mine has NEVER crashed being connected to this monitor. Sounds like you might have a graphics card issue?

frankbaozhu

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
Hey guys, I just bought a cable Harry suggested but with a different brand. Connected my MBP mid 2014 15 inch to 38uc99 running at 75HZ and the problem is it turns black randomly for less than a sec then goes back normal. Sometimes it turns black after few mins or a few times in like 30 secs.

Any 1 got any idea what caused this?

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Hey guys, I just bought a cable Harry suggested but with a different brand. Connected my MBP mid 2014 15 inch to 38uc99 running at 75HZ and the problem is it turns black randomly for less than a sec then goes back normal. Sometimes it turns black after few mins or a few times in like 30 secs.

Any 1 got any idea what caused this?

Are you sure you're getting 75hz on a Mac?!

frankbaozhu

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
I was using switchresX. There are 3 options, 75HZ, 60HZ NTSC, 30HZ NTSC. I am pretty sure it was set at 75HZ.

Kiddomac

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2017
slight update from me. I used to only be able to get a steady picture, when the macbook was also plugged into the power adapter, but right this moment the picture is fine and my 13" mbptb is also charging. what is going on, was there a sierra update in the last two weeks? why is this working now, when I had so much trouble in the beginning.

still using the lg supplied usb-c cable and still also having the pc connected via displayport cable. what gives… ¯ \_(ツ)_/¯

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I was using switchresX. There are 3 options, 75HZ, 60HZ NTSC, 30HZ NTSC. I am pretty sure it was set at 75HZ.

Never heard of this app. I'll give the 10 day free a try. Doubt I'd notice much difference between 60 & 75 for what I do.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Yeah, it's not good, but it's not too bad either. Sure wish the LG 5K came out at the same time... I would've purchased two of them.

I've realised I hate multi-monitor setups. Two 27" is too big to be useful for me and I'm always moving them around trying to get them setup to be as usable and viewable as possible, and one 27" screen isn't enough for me to be productive. This 38" from LG with its curved design is almost perfect. Like everyone else, I'd love for it to be at least 4k to improve the clarity of text. But if I was offered 2x5k monitors to replace this 38" display I think I'd say no.

I'll wait for a higher PPI 38" version of this display or my dream scenario Apple makes an iMac in the 38UC99 form factor with a 5k screen. :p Until then, I'm going to enjoy using this 38UC99 for a year or two.

Reactions: RyanC1384

samanuel

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Hi,
I am about to purchase this monitor and wonder if it would work connected to my 2013 macbook pro r through thunderbolt 2 -> thunderbolt 3/c cable?
Thank you

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Well, I think I figured out how to get the screen to work after it goes black and enters power saving mode... Power off the monitor, unplug the USB-C cable from your MBP, wait 10 seconds, plug back into MBP, wait 10 seconds, then power on the monitor. Bingo. Sad that it has to be that way, but at least it works.

Charles Lee

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2017
Does "MacBook Pro 15" retina mid 2012" run at 4K 60hz with LG-38UC99-W monitor?

Last edited:

Dustjunky

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Just bought the 38UC99 and attached it to my MBP 2016 13", but have found that I have black bars all the way around the image and it's not filling the screen. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I'm connected via the USB-C supplied cable.

I've made sure MacOS is using 3840x1600 as the resolution and have tried the monitor menu options for aspect ration or Full Wide, Original and 1:1, but they all give the same result.
[doublepost=1487340334][/doublepost]Hmmmm - just tried the USB-C ports on the right hand side of the MBP and it gives full screen - is this to be expected?

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Just bought the 38UC99 and attached it to my MBP 2016 13", but have found that I have black bars all the way around the image and it's not filling the screen. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I'm connected via the USB-C supplied cable.

I've made sure MacOS is using 3840x1600 as the resolution and have tried the monitor menu options for aspect ration or Full Wide, Original and 1:1, but they all give the same result.
[doublepost=1487340334][/doublepost]Hmmmm - just tried the USB-C ports on the right hand side of the MBP and it gives full screen - is this to be expected?

Yes, the 13" MBP's USB-C ports don't all have the same power/capability.

ab8

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2017
Hi,
I am about to purchase this monitor and wonder if it would work connected to my 2013 macbook pro r through thunderbolt 2 -> thunderbolt 3/c cable?
Thank you

Use it with HDMI (or displayport) - my late 2013 13in rMBP seems to work just as well that way as my 2016 15in trMBP does through USB-C/DP. I'm not sure if they all support the same refresh, but it sure looks the same (I don't game).

pgray

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
Hi,
Thank you

I tried the Apple Thunderbolt2 to Thunderbolt 3/c adapter. Then cabled it to my 2013 Retina MacBook Pro and it did not work at all.

What did work is a mini display port to display port cable.

goobot

macrumors 604
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Use it with HDMI (or displayport) - my late 2013 13in rMBP seems to work just as well that way as my 2016 15in trMBP does through USB-C/DP. I'm not sure if they all support the same refresh, but it sure looks the same (I don't game).

I tried the Apple Thunderbolt2 to Thunderbolt 3/c adapter. Then cabled it to my 2013 Retina MacBook Pro and it did not work at all.

What did work is a mini display port to display port cable.
I think the disadvantage to this is lack of working USB on the back of the monitor.

pgray

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2017
I think the disadvantage to this is lack of working USB on the back of the monitor.

Agreed. The reason I tried the Apple TB2 to TB3/c adapter is I wanted to be able to use that USB on the back of the monitor. Unfortunately it did not work and I had to go back to mini dp to dp which works but is not ideal.

andrewket

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2012
I just purchased the 34uc99-w, which is the "smaller" version of the 38uc99. Same features.

It works great on my Hackintosh using DP. On my Macbook Pro (15", Late 2016) connected via USB-C it doesn't work. The laptop charges, but no display. Is it possible that the MacBook Pro only supports TB2/TB3 video over TB3 combo port, and the display only supports video over USB? If that's the case what a fail, and the display will be going back.

Edit: Ok, apparently not all UBC-C cables are created equal. I took the USB-C cable from the monitor out of the box and tried that one, and it works! It's unfortunately very short, so I'll have to buy a replacement. So, in case someone else gets bit by this: Try the cable that came with the monitor first.

Last edited:

Chrolm

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2016
SoCal
Also be careful that the cable is properly inserted in the 38uc99 - on mine if it's not very firmly inserted, there's no signal.

glux

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
I just purchased the 34uc99-w, which is the "smaller" version of the 38uc99. Same features.

It works great on my Hackintosh using DP. On my Macbook Pro (15", Late 2016) connected via USB-C it doesn't work. The laptop charges, but no display. Is it possible that the MacBook Pro only supports TB2/TB3 video over TB3 combo port, and the display only supports video over USB? If that's the case what a fail, and the display will be going back.

Edit: Ok, apparently not all UBC-C cables are created equal. I took the USB-C cable from the monitor out of the box and tried that one, and it works! It's unfortunately very short, so I'll have to buy a replacement. So, in case someone else gets bit by this: Try the cable that came with the monitor first.

Where did you purchase the 34uc99-w? I'm trying to find a place that has it in stock

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, just bought this monitor. I am connecting it to my MacBook Pro 2010 17". My laptop is supposed to support an external display of resolutions 2560x1600 but I cannot find such option under Displaying setting. Know how to go about it? Right now, the images and fonts are not clear and distorted (fatter).

I am connecting my computer to the display using Belkin mini display port to hdmi adapter bought from Apple. Then, I use a hdmi cable from previous TV to connect the adapter to the monitor. Thanks.

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Hello, just bought this monitor. I am connecting it to my MacBook Pro 2010 17". My laptop is supposed to support an external display of resolutions 2560x1600 but I cannot find such option under Displaying setting. Know how to go about it? Right now, the images and fonts are not clear and distorted (fatter).

I am connecting my computer to the display using Belkin mini display port to hdmi adapter bought from Apple. Then, I use a hdmi cable from previous TV to connect the adapter to the monitor. Thanks.

Not sure exactly how'd you'd get that to work... Especially with such an old machine. Might have something to do with your cabling as to why the settings won't pick it up...?

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
Not sure exactly how'd you'd get that to work... Especially with such an old machine. Might have something to do with your cabling as to why the settings won't pick it up...?

Yes, somebody mentioned that everything (adapter, cable, monitor) could affect the result.

By the way, I made a 3D model of a bar with square cross section. As I dragged the window that contains the model to the ultra wide screen, the square cross section became a rectangular cross section. Is it because the screen is ultra wide or because I have not been able to set up the external monitor resolution properly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.