Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is $1499 a bit much for this display, or am I better off with the 27" Dell 5K?

• Get this 38" 4K LG display, it's worth it.

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Get the 27" 5K Dell display, it's a better value.

Votes: 24 34.8%

• Total voters

RyanC1384

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
Well, now I'm having a change of heart here folks... I'm looking at picking up a BizonBOX for Windows gaming, etc... Apparently this box will never work with the LG 5K monitor... Might be a deal breaker for me... I'd love sharper text and photos, but... We also have no clue as to when LG will release the 5K, could be last next month. I also don't like the idea of two separate monitors vs this one big 38".

Today I confirmed via http://www.testufo.com/#test=mprt that through the included LG USB-C cable I'm getting 60hz, 60 fps, 12 PPF, and 720 PPS... I'm also getting 3840 x 1600. Not sure if/how I can get the 75hz on this monitor via my 2016 MBP 15". Like I said, the three things I dislike about the 38UC99 are the PPI is low, the brightness isn't that great, and it doesn't charge the 15" MBP.

I got my monitor yesterday and it's set up. Don't have my new Macbook yet, will probably order it next year...but the monitor is great.

I'm running a windows machine on it via the display port and it's reaching 60 hz @ 3840x1600.

Not sure what the PPI, but the text looks fine for me. Brightness is amazing for me. I'll be getting the 13" Macbook Pro with TB, so charging should also be okay.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I got my monitor yesterday and it's set up. Don't have my new Macbook yet, will probably order it next year...but the monitor is great.

I'm running a windows machine on it via the display port and it's reaching 60 hz @ 3840x1600.

Not sure what the PPI, but the text looks fine for me. Brightness is amazing for me. I'll be getting the 13" Macbook Pro with TB, so charging should also be okay.

Yeah, it is a good monitor... But when you're looking at this screen along side the MBP's 15" screen... It's night/day difference as far as brightness and PPI goes. The LG 5K would just about match the MBP's screen in those areas. However, the 5K only has TB/USB-C, which may be a deal breaker to most users.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
LG mentions this will do 75hz... How would that be possible using a MBP if at all? BizonBOX?

RyanC1384

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
I'm currently connected to my new LG38UC99 with a Dell Windows laptop via HDMI (on the monitor) to Display Port Adapter (Connected to the laptop). It's running at 75hz and is amazing.

I plan on getting my Macbook Pro with TB 13" after Xmas and will connect it via the USB-C port. I see no reason why it won't also run at the 75hz.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I'm currently connected to my new LG38UC99 with a Dell Windows laptop via HDMI (on the monitor) to Display Port Adapter (Connected to the laptop). It's running at 75hz and is amazing.

I plan on getting my Macbook Pro with TB 13" after Xmas and will connect it via the USB-C port. I see no reason why it won't also run at the 75hz.

Nope. I can only get 60hz via USC-C.

krammman50

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2016
connecticut
I ordered MacBook pro 15inch 2.9GHz | 512GB | Pro 460 | Space Gray from B&H Photo on Nov 1st.
did anyone else order from B&H Photo????
And I have this monitor.....
SO......will the monitor work with my new computer?????
( what the F*#@K do I need to make it work?.......LOL)

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I ordered MacBook pro 15inch 2.9GHz | 512GB | Pro 460 | Space Gray from B&H Photo on Nov 1st.
did anyone else order from B&H Photo????
And I have this monitor.....
SO......will the monitor work with my new computer?????
( what the F*#@K do I need to make it work?.......LOL)

I have the same exact setup... USB-C from computer to monitor (Use the included USB-C cable that comes with the monitor)... You'll still need Apple's USB-C charger to charge the computer, as this monitor only supports 60w and this computer needs 85w. You're all set! You'll love it. B&H is awesome to deal with... Apple is better ;)

kitkat99333

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
I know this only supplies 60w but is that enough to sustain the MacBooks current charge level (perhaps even charge slightly)?

Also if using USB-C, do the USB ports run at gen 2 or gen 3 speeds ?

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I know this only supplies 60w but is that enough to sustain the MacBooks current charge level (perhaps even charge slightly)?

Also if using USB-C, do the USB ports run at gen 2 or gen 3 speeds ?

When you're using this gigantic monitor, there is no sustaining the charge at 60w bud... Gotta keep the Apple charger plugged in or you're doomed! I found out the hard way... Trying to backup a large drive, kept failing... Soon learned that the MBP was dying... Sucked. A monitor this nice should be 85w USB-C charging, but it's not.

Hoondy

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
I too am having challenges with the charging issue. The main problem is opening the MBP from wake because that is when the monitor is not charging it, the solution I have found is to unplug the USB-C cable and wait a few seconds and then plug it back in...

I'm currently waiting for a call back from LG to see if this is there error, a cable error or apple error!

Maybe I need to return and swap

It could be an issue with the MBP (because it didn't even warn that the battery was drained, but just 'died' suddenly)

I agree with you about the lack of 'retina' text, but I've fallen in love with the ultra-wide format, so I'm waiting to see the resolution of the charging issue - before making a decision to get the new LG 5K which should ship end Dec.

I think I know the answer to your problem.. Have you turned on USB-C charging option from monitor menu? Mine came disabled, so you have to turn this option on.
[doublepost=1481864170][/doublepost]
So, how does one get this monitor to go from 60hz to 75hz then?
AMD freesync?
[doublepost=1481864420][/doublepost]
Thanks for posting this question, I've scoured the internets for an answer to this as well as reached out to LG...

So here's my dilemma... I have a client who would like to purchase 15 of these monitors to compliment his new 13" Touchbar MacBook Pros. I've reached out to LG letting them know I cannot purchase these monitors without confirmation that they will work at the advertised 60 Hz, as well as plug in using the new USB-C/TB 3 ports (not the end of the world if it has to be HDMI as long as they can confirm the refresh rate etc). Apparently a $20,000+ opportunity was not enough to get someone to answer my question... Also, they would not confirm my request email or writing which makes me nervous about purchasing these displays for this deployment.

LG.com removed a (at that point the only, which I have a screenshot of) 1 star review from it's site which was a customer who was in the same boat and claimed it was not working with their new Touchbar MBP. Instead of answering the q, they just deleted the review. Not Cool.

My hope is that this cable (which is not available yet of course) will be the silver bullet. We've ordered a separate single unit for testing and as soon as it arrive's I'll post my experience.

You would think they would want to ride the wave of the new MBPro's right? Why not just come out and confirm this will work?
It will work 60hz over usc-c/tb3 fine

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I think I know the answer to your problem.. Have you turned on USB-C charging option from monitor menu? Mine came disabled, so you have to turn this option on.
AMD freesync?
AMD freesync?

I'm not seeing the USB-C charge option anywhere in the menu settings...

AMD Freesync... Is that an app? How do you enable that with this monitor?

Yes, USB-C pushes 60hz, but what about 75hz?

Thanks.

lockhartmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2016
This thread was helpful to me, so I'll add: I have
  • This LG 38UC99-W monitor
  • New Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro w/Touchpad
I began using the supplied USB-C to USB-C cable, and got full resolution but only 30hz. I have tried both USB-C to HDMI and a 3' USB-C to DisplayPort cord. On the Mac side, the HDMI connection is buggy and causes any number of black screen/reset problems. The USB-C to DisplayPort cord I purchased said it would work at 60hz but system preferences show it at 30hz, and I do not see an option to change it. I have not tried any of the various scripts that have been suggested, I expect that Apple will fix whatever software is the issue....

...because, it is software. I've loaded Windows 10 using bootcamp on this machine and Windows allows me to set the settings to 60hz for this monitor using the USB-C to DisplayPort cord. So, for now, I think this is a software issue (and not solely a cord issue) on the Mac side and I'm not sure if/whether Apple will fix it.

Also, I also have my USB-C to USB-C connected at the same time as the USB-C to DisplayPort, and I can confirm that the screen is charging my laptop. It is also managing to use both a USB dongle for my Microsoft Sculpt keyboard and Logitech cam.

I did want to add one other thing: I do not understand the comments in this thread on either brightness or PPI. Regarding brightness, I had to turn it down because it was so bright. I find the colors excellent. As for any relative PPI, the fact is, this PPI becomes 'retina' quality if your eyes are about 32" from the screen. I enjoy isthisretina[dot]com for these kinds of calculations. So, any greater PPI for this screen would be sort of wasted unless I positioned it closer to my face...which I don't wish to do.

Thanks to everyone who posted earlier than me on this thread, it has been useful to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
This thread was helpful to me, so I'll add: I have
  • This LG 38UC99-W monitor
  • New Late 2016 13" MacBook Pro w/Touchpad
I have tried both HDMI and a 3' USB-C to DisplayPort cord. On the Mac side, the HDMI connection is buggy and causes any number of black screen/reset problems. The USB-C to DisplayPort cord I purchased said it would work at 60hz but system preferences show it at 30hz, and I do not see an option to change it. I have not tried any of the various scripts that have been suggested, I expect that Apple will fix whatever software is the issue....

...because, it is software. I've loaded Windows 10 using bootcamp on this machine and Windows allows me to set the settings to 60hz for this monitor using the USB-C to DisplayPort cord. So, for now, I think this is a software issue (and not solely a cord issue) on the Mac side and I'm not sure if/whether Apple will fix it.

I did want to add one other thing: I do not understand the comments in this thread on either brightness or PPI. Regarding brightness, I had to turn it down because it was so bright. I find the colors excellent. As for any relative PPI, the fact is, this PPI becomes 'retina' quality if your eyes are about 32" from the screen. I enjoy isthisretina[dot]com for these kinds of calculations. So, any greater PPI for this screen would be sort of wasted unless I positioned it closer to my face...which I don't wish to do.

Thanks to everyone who posted earlier than me on this thread, it has been useful to follow.

Why aren't you using the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with this monitor? I'm getting 60hz and full resolution on my 2016 15".

PPI will always be easier on the eyes for me... I've never heard of anyone not wanting more PPI ;)

lockhartmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2016
Why aren't you using the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with this monitor? I'm getting 60hz and full resolution on my 2016 15".

PPI will always be easier on the eyes for me... I've never heard of anyone not wanting more PPI ;)
(Just revised my post to include that I had in fact started with the supplied USB-C to USB-C cord, and it doesn't given 60hz, just 30hz. Your 2016 15" is this new, late 2016 MacBook Pro model with the touch-bar?

lockhartmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2016
Ihave the 2016 MBP with TouchBar... I'm using the supplied USB-C cable. This will test the speed: http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

a. That's a great utility for this.
b. Nope, shows 30fps. If I move the browser (both Chrome and Safari) between the LG and my MBP's monitor, it shifts from 30hz (LG) to 60hz (MBP), and back again. This is using the USB-C to USB-C cord, and I have tested both the back-left and back-right USB-C connections on my MBP.

Could it be that the USB-C connections on a 13" are somehow different than on the 15"? That'd suck, and make me want to return this and swap up...

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
a. That's a great utility for this.
b. Nope, shows 30fps. If I move the browser (both Chrome and Safari) between the LG and my MBP's monitor, it shifts from 30hz (LG) to 60hz (MBP), and back again. This is using the USB-C to USB-C cord, and I have tested both the back-left and back-right USB-C connections on my MBP.

Could it be that the USB-C connections on a 13" are somehow different than on the 15"? That'd suck, and make me want to return this and swap up...

Are you using the supplied LG cable?

lockhartmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2016
Are you using the supplied LG cable?

Yes. Also, I just swapped to the Windows side, went to that site... and it registers 60hz on the LG monitor. So, in Windows, it shows 60hz. On the Mac OS side, exact same hardware and ports, shows 30hz. You, however, are not having this issue. Frustrating. Wonder if anyone else with a 13" can comment?

Follow-on: With your LG supplied USB-C cable, does it still occasionally remind you when the monitor turns on to use only LG-supplied cables? I never turned that off, and it does still request that of me, even with it's own cable...

Last edited:

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Yes. Also, I just swapped to the Windows side, went to that site... and it registers 60hz on the LG monitor. So, in Windows, it shows 60hz. On the Mac OS side, exact same hardware and ports, shows 30hz. You, however, are not having this issue. Frustrating. Wonder if anyone else with a 13" can comment?

Follow-on: With your LG supplied USB-C cable, does it still occasionally remind you when the monitor turns on to use only LG-supplied cables? I never turned that off, and it does still request that of me, even with it's own cable...

It did that and then I realized the cable wasn't inserted all the way. Make sure both ends are pushed in all the way. That message then went away for me. Make sure USBC is selected within the LG menu.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
I don't think anybody has pointed out the obvious yet. This is NOT a 4k (3840 x 2160) display. It lacks vertical pixels.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I don't think anybody has pointed out the obvious yet. This is NOT a 4k (3840 x 2160) display. It lacks vertical pixels.

It's been pointed out. Low PPI. Still has plenty of room to work, I just wish it was 5K!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008

Did you figure it out yet?

lockhartmacrumors

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2016
Did you figure it out yet?

Further down the rabbit hole. Woke machine from sleep this morning, restarted Mac side (again), saw this question, tried UFO test site...now showing 60hz using the USB-C to USB-C cord. How very strange and random, but this is the first time I've gotten the USB-C cord to work properly. Will report if it reverts, but there's nothing different in the setup this morning than there was yesterday...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.