Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is $1499 a bit much for this display, or am I better off with the 27" Dell 5K?

• Get this 38" 4K LG display, it's worth it.

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • Get the 27" 5K Dell display, it's a better value.

Votes: 24 34.8%

• Total voters

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Congratulations with the new monitor! I'm curious to see how much brighter the MBP is as well. They say 67% brighter? I just got my MBP....I probably should have waited an extra month or so....not crazy about that display on the keyboard....but 67% brighter, being a good deal faster and louder, 2TB all sound sweet!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Well, I purchased the new MacBook Pro 15"... Can't wait. Would the LG 5K (Apple) be better than the 38UC99? I really want the 38UC99!
[doublepost=1477945822][/doublepost]
I just got the LG 38UC99 AND to my surprise it didn't work with cables in box. Got run around with apple also heck apple guy said I'd probably need to go get a PC and sell my MAC PRO [2013] WOW .... gonna try LG tomorrow if can't get an answer gonna send it back. Hell with it

Did you keep it? Thoughts on the 38UC99? I'm in the market for it... Either that or the new LG 5K...

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Well, I purchased the new MacBook Pro 15"... Can't wait. Would the LG 5K (Apple) be better than the 38UC99? I really want the 38UC99!
[doublepost=1477945822][/doublepost]

Did you keep it? Thoughts on the 38UC99? I'm in the market for it... Either that or the new LG 5K...
IMHO..... It really depends what you are using it for and if you will benefit more with the real estate of the 21:9 display or not. What are you using it for? Photography, gaming, etc.?

Harry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
IMHO..... It really depends what you are using it for and if you will benefit more with the real estate of the 21:9 display or not. What are you using it for? Photography, gaming, etc.?

Harry

Well, I'm currently selling my iMac 27" 5K, because I find that I'm running out of screen real-estate. The most that I do is web design, but I do a lot of multitasking and like many windows open at once... I just like seeing everything at once. Are these two screens noticeably different when it comes to the quality of text?

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Text IMHO would hardly be noticeable. If it's real estate you are after.....I would stick with the 21:9 IMHO. I think the extra size is also great if you are rendering video in FCP for example and get the luxury of using a very long time line. No doubt though, the 5K will show images a bit more vibrant. For me....I would rather the extra size...

Harry

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I always feel that the bigger the screen, and still the normal resolution .. that people tend to forget a computer monitor isn't a tv set. While the screen is still great, it's in my eyes so big for that resolution that you can hide a brick in between the pixels.

I would really want to see it before I buy it.
Well, I'm currently selling my iMac 27" 5K, because I find that I'm running out of screen real-estate. The most that I do is web design, but I do a lot of multitasking and like many windows open at once... I just like seeing everything at once. Are these two screens noticeably different when it comes to the quality of text?

How could you consider (if that's why you post here?) that a 5000x resolution is not enough, and you rather go for a bigger screen (with less pixels?). The physical size of the monitor doesn't mean it has more pixels.

Bit confused about that (not trying to be mean ~ serious questioning it).

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I always feel that the bigger the screen, and still the normal resolution .. that people tend to forget a computer monitor isn't a tv set. While the screen is still great, it's in my eyes so big for that resolution that you can hide a brick in between the pixels.

I would really want to see it before I buy it.

How could you consider (if that's why you post here?) that a 5000x resolution is not enough, and you rather go for a bigger screen (with less pixels?). The physical size of the monitor doesn't mean it has more pixels.

Bit confused about that (not trying to be mean ~ serious questioning it).

I guess I don't know... The 27" iMac I have right now seems very tall... So I can't put windows side by side, which is what I'd like. I can fit about two Pages documents side by side on this 27"... On my old 34" widescreen, it seemed like I could fit more... Are my eyes not seeing what they should? Is a 27" not smaller than a 38"?
[doublepost=1477948069][/doublepost]
Text IMHO would hardly be noticeable. If it's real estate you are after.....I would stick with the 21:9 IMHO. I think the extra size is also great if you are rendering video in FCP for example and get the luxury of using a very long time line. No doubt though, the 5K will show images a bit more vibrant. For me....I would rather the extra size...

Harry

I wish I could see this before I bought it. I would image that you can fit a lot more windows side by side over a 27"?

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I would think you can run ONE LG 5K display on a 2015 MBP??

Easily.
[doublepost=1477948344][/doublepost]

Harry

I wish BestBuy or Microcenter carried this so I could see for myself. LG has no clue when they'll be available in stores.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Easily.
[doublepost=1477948344][/doublepost]

I wish BestBuy or Microcenter carried this so I could see for myself. LG has no clue when they'll be available in stores.

My BestBuy never had any of the older 4K displays or the 5K Dell for me to look at. But I know what you are talking about and looking for. With the 21:9 I can work with a full spread newspaper open and have open more than enough palettes than I need to work with. I use InDesign a lot and the 21:9 is much friendlier for me to work with. The 5K does show images a lot nicer.....but there really isn't much to take full advantage with the 5K yet. I was able to see the Dell and the 21:9.....Going with the 21:9. It would nice to see a 5K in a 21:9. And the 21:9 makes working in FCP sooooooooo much easier. For me anyhow....

Harry

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Is a 27" not smaller than a 38"?
- Naturally. But inches don't matter for screen real estate; effective resolution does. On your 5K iMac the default setting would be pixel doubling, so an effective resolution of 2560x1440 (which can be changed). This 3840x1600 LG would provide lots more effective space, but you'd be giving up the Retina sharpness.

I would think you can run ONE LG 5K display on a 2015 MBP?? (dual cable solution)
- Depends which display. Not possible at 5K resolution with the newly announced UltraFine LG since it only has one Thunderbolt 3 input.

Last edited:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I guess I don't know... The 27" iMac I have right now seems very tall... So I can't put windows side by side, which is what I'd like. I can fit about two Pages documents side by side on this 27"... On my old 34" widescreen, it seemed like I could fit more... Are my eyes not seeing what they should? Is a 27" not smaller than a 38"?
[doublepost=1477948069][/doublepost]

I wish I could see this before I bought it. I would image that you can fit a lot more windows side by side over a 27"?

A 10 inch monitor that is say 3000 pixels wide, and 2000 pixels high
vs
A 40 inch monitor that is say 1000 pixels wide, and 500 pixels high

You can fit more on the 10" than the 40"

The size of the monitor is only how it physically looks to yiou, the amount of pixels is the real estate you can work with.

But of course, if the width of a widescreen monitor is more than the over 5000 pixels the 27" offers, it is literally wider.

Just having it appear wider, because they cut the bottom off and its say 4000 x 1000, .. then then 27" with over 5000 by over 2000 is just as wide, if not more, and higher.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
- Depends which display. Not possible at 5K resolution with the newly announced UltraFine LG since it only has one Thunderbolt 3 input.

Is there no way to go from two TB2 ports to one TB3 port? I know LG and Apple worked together making these displays....I would think they made a horrible marketing mistake if a 2015 MBP could fire up these new LG 5k UltraFine displays...
[doublepost=1477950085][/doublepost]On the Apple website, the same question was asked and someone said....

"Maybe with an adapter, but not natively, since this display uses Thunderbolt 3. "

Looks like the same question was asked a few times.....bad move IMHO if they can't work. If the Dell can....those wanting 5K will obviously pass on LG....and it was also a bad move not including TB2 on the 21:9 display....instead, you need to get another cable that's not included.

Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Is there no way to go from two TB2 ports to one TB3 port?
- At least not right now there isn't. I have no idea if it's even technically possible.
I've never heard of the equivalent thing with previous versions, adapting two Thunderbolt 1 ports to 1 Thunderbolt 2 port.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Yeah.....Mac rep said no way (as of now) to connect the new 27" 5K LG display to the 2015 MBP. I had to ask what he thought about the fact that the display will only work with the new MBP. He said he was shocked.

The display could work if it had the proper ports (like the 5K Dell). I can't for the life of me understand why Apple and LG got together and made a 5K display that will not work with the 2015 MBP. Is it just me or is Apple dropping the ball over and over again? I had seriously hoped the new MBP would have a touch screen display....this touch bar doesn't really do it for me. This really isn't new tech.....

Well.....if I do decide to go with a 5K display instead of the LG 21:9 38".....I guess I have to go with Dell.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
How about 2 of the new LG 4K's vs 1 LG 5K? That would offer more screen real estate than the 38UC99 with better picture, no?

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
How about 2 of the new LG 4K's vs 1 LG 5K? That would offer more screen real estate than the 38UC99 with better picture, no?
I think that can be done on the 2015 MBP...each display would use one TB port. Or at least that's what I was told.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I think that can be done on the 2015 MBP...each display would use one TB port. Or at least that's what I was told.

Waiting for my 2016 MBP to ship. I just need a monitor or two to connect it to. Three options I have, can't decide.

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
Waiting for my 2016 MBP to ship. I just need a monitor or two to connect it to. Three options I have, can't decide.

If I had the 2016....I would still get the 38" LG first discussed. I was most impressed with that. IMHO.

Harry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
If I had the 2016....I would still get the 38" LG first discussed. I was most impressed with that. IMHO.

Harry

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. The more YouTube videos I watch on it, the more I want it.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
Yeah.....Mac rep said no way (as of now) to connect the new 27" 5K LG display to the 2015 MBP. I had to ask what he thought about the fact that the display will only work with the new MBP. He said he was shocked.

The display could work if it had the proper ports (like the 5K Dell). I can't for the life of me understand why Apple and LG got together and made a 5K display that will not work with the 2015 MBP. Is it just me or is Apple dropping the ball over and over again? I had seriously hoped the new MBP would have a touch screen display....this touch bar doesn't really do it for me. This really isn't new tech.....

Well.....if I do decide to go with a 5K display instead of the LG 21:9 38".....I guess I have to go with Dell.
USB-C (TB3) to Thunderbolt (mDP) would work at proper res, 60hz

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
I wonder why there isn't a 5K 21:9 display that will work like the Dell 5k on the 2015 MBP...

But yeah....I think I'm going to do the same and stick with the original plan.
[doublepost=1477967448][/doublepost]
USB-C (TB3) to Thunderbolt (mDP) would work at proper res, 60hz

5k??

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
Yeah, I'll probably get the 38". I wish I could use it more like a hub. Needs a few more USB-C ports and an Ethernet port.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
I wonder why there isn't a 5K 21:9 display that will work like the Dell 5k on the 2015 MBP...

But yeah....I think I'm going to do the same and stick with the original plan.
[doublepost=1477967448][/doublepost]

5k??
4K only I'm afraid, max res for DP 1.2 (single steam)

DrtyHarry

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2012
Drty Jrz
4K only I'm afraid, max res for DP 1.2 (single steam)

Yeah....if I want 5K, I guess I'll have to go with Dell like I said and use 2 ports. Silly Apple and LG didn't think of this so they could market this display to older MBPs. IMHO....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.