Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tpivette89

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2018
Middletown, DE
Oddly enough, I suspect it isn't 5x speed gains over the 2012 quad model.

Sigh... for all you doubters, there is always... I repeat, ALWAYS, going to be an Apple tax. There was when the 2012 released, and the upgrades when new to i7 2.6ghz and 16GB RAM were available. No one was gonna pay Apple's storage and RAM prices then, and no one is going to pay them now.

Today, we can still upgrade RAM with other solutions... and storage this day and age just happens to be via TB3 or USB 3.0. This is the Mac mini we were all wishing for... and now 50% of forum members complain about the price. Keep in mind, this may NOT have happened at all... but Apple delivered anyway.

... just think about it for a minute... they made it with a 6 core processor, and a multitude of ports. You can expand indefinitely. This is essentially the 2013 Mac Pro at nearly 1/4 of the cost... can you really complain just because of the Apple tax (which always existed)?

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Sigh... for all you doubters, there is always... I repeat, ALWAYS, going to be an Apple tax. There was when the 2012 released, and the upgrades when new to i7 2.6ghz and 16GB RAM were available. No one was gonna pay Apple's storage and RAM prices then, and no one is going to pay them now.

Today, we can still upgrade RAM with other solutions... and storage this day and age just happens to be via TB3 or USB 3.0. This is the Mac mini we were all wishing for... and now 50% of forum members complain about the price. Keep in mind, this may NOT have happened at all... but Apple delivered anyway.

... just think about it for a minute... they made it with a 6 core processor, and a multitude of ports. You can expand indefinitely. This is essentially the 2013 Mac Pro at nearly 1/4 of the cost... can you really complain just because of the Apple tax (which always existed)?

What are you on about? I didn't mention the price or "Apple tax" in my post. o_O

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This is the Mac mini we were all wishing for... and now 50% of forum members complain about the price. Keep in mind, this may NOT have happened at all... but Apple delivered anyway.
Pricing the Mac mini at $799 to start gave Apple an opportunity to offer a decent hex-core i5 + 8 GB RAM + 128 GB SSD base model, but instead we get a soldered low-end i3 and integrated graphics that can be found in other manufacturers' $400-500 desktops.

Not that this was a terrible refresh, especially compared to the one we got in 2014 (a lot of people here were worried it would be limited to quad-core even at $1,099); but it should've been slightly better after the Mac mini was neglected for no less than five years, and after a switch to less-efficient desktop processors with worse integrated graphics than the mobile processors most of us were expecting. The result is better performance for the high-end i7 model with an additional eGPU attached, but the opposite when Apple is shipping a low-end Core i3 with integrated graphics as the less-expensive model.

Last edited:
Reactions: StoneyG

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Positives:

CPU
User-upgradable RAM (apparently)
Good port mix

Negatives:

Cost
Non-upgradable internal storage ( in a DESKTOP)
Embarassing GPU

Overall a mixed bag, which precludes recommendation, particularly given the cost.

Reactions: tedson and Miat

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
We should all get T-shirts saying “I am lemon“
↑ I am with lemon ↑

Speak for yourself, I can easily squeeze a few more years out of my 2012 mini.
[doublepost=1541165367][/doublepost]
For the average user (a category I place myself into) this could realistically be a computer that lasts me over 10 years (comfortably) before needing an upgrade. I have absolutely no complaints.
The 10 years from 2012 on are not over yet. So this update comes too early for me.

Last edited:

georose

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2018
The usual memory and SSD upgrades that are needed put it in the astronomical price range compared to similar Intel hardware. Apple has always had a "surcharge" for extra memory and storage capacity. Every other vendor has rational pricing when it comes to memory/ssd upgrades. It's out of my price range for what I would need in upgrades to make it work for me and there is likely no upgrade path for the user. I suppose one could order the 125GB SSD and use an external T3 SSD as an upgrade for additional storage if you go light on the apps.
$800 for lowest cost Mini plus $400 for upgrade to 512 GB drive - No Way!

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Embarassing GPU

Given that Apple are embracing TB3 expansion (i.e eGPU in this case), I think this is actually a good move.

There is no better integrated GPU option for desktop Intel's, and it's unlikely they could cool anything 'pro' enough to suit the high end market anyway. A low level dedicated card is just going to raise more "why is it only X", while increasing the price, and increasing the cooling requirements.

This way, I get to spend my (compay's) money on CPU and Memory which I care about, and not on GPU, which I don't really care about (a headless linux VM has zero gpu requirements. 20 of them has 20xzero requirements).

This way, someone with high end video requirements can get exactly what they want in an eGPU case, without having to worry about whether it will overheat the CPU and cause it to throttle, or cause the fans imitate a jet turbine.

Apple highlighted a lot of use cases that have very little if any need for more than integrated graphics.

From my position, 2 4K monitors full of terminal IDE and the occasional browser windows shouldn't really demand much in the way of graphics.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
WAY more $$$ than I expected. I blew 4800 on a i9 MBP (awesome) and 6900 on a iMac Pro. The totally pimped out Mac mini is really expensive. But my current 2014 is my only Mac without a T2. Damn you Tim, Damn you to hell!

Holy Hell that's a lot of money for two computers (you're getting close to the cost of my entire home theater with 9.1.6 (15.1) sound and a 92" screen with a 3D/2K projector.... OUCH). I paid $1100 for my 2012 Mac Mini SERVER (topped out back then) and $1650 for my Macbook Pro back in 2008 which was a higher end model. You can just see how much Macs have gone up in price since then while it seems like most full size desktop PCs just kept dropping in price. I'd love to replace my Mini with the new one plus an external graphics card that I can use in OS X and Windows 8 or 10 (just for gaming there), but that's some serious dough with even a halfway decent sized internal drive plus the graphics card is at least $600.

I could easily just get a closer to base model (maybe spring for the 6-core i7 since that would speed movie encodes with Handbrake, etc.) for use as my replacement media streaming server (using mostly external drives) and buy a separate gaming PC for less. Disappointing, really. It's the SSD drives that are just BONKERS expensive. Samsung has 2TB SSD for sale now for only $347 WTF crApple!?!? $1400!???! REALLY??? If they weren't using those damn soldered connections, etc. you can just change the damn thing out and be done with it (who needs the highest possible speed when the price is so insane?) You could get a 4TB SSD for $799!!!! Geebus....

I know you could just deal with the crap internal drive and go external, but it's such a waste of space to have to do EVERYTHING external all over the desk. I've got TWO drives inside my current Mac Mini! In fact, I'm starting to think maybe I should just throw a 2TB replacement SSD in that one (it has actual SATA connectors!) and that would probably more than acceptable for some time still (other than gaming).

Reactions: Snappers

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Count me as another long-time Apple fan who is thrilled that they decided to update the Mac mini (I'd all but given up hope) but who is disappointed (but not surprised) by the upgrade prices. I've used Apple computers at home since 1991 and PCs at work since the MS-DOS days. I currently use a Windows 10 PC at work, and I have no complaints about Windows 10. I'm invested in the Apple ecosystem, though, but I've become increasingly unhappy with Apple's price increases and removal of legacy ports in the eternal pursuit of "thinner."

I have a late 2012 Mac mini (which I purchased refurbished in early 2013, and which I've upgraded with a DIY Fusion drive and 16 GB of RAM) and a 2015 13" MacBook Pro. They're still good enough for my needs, but I've seriously been considering switching to the Windows world when I next feel the need to upgrade.

The 2018 mini, though, while more expensive than I would have liked, offers enough value to keep me in the Apple fold. My 2012 mini will be supported through Mojave. After that, I'll likely buy a refurbished 2019 mini in 2020. Looked at from that point of view, it's hard to complain; I'll have gotten 7 years from a computer that cost me about $900, including RAM and Fusion drive upgrades. I won't quibble about spending a few hundred more for a mini that lasts at least that long.

michael.richard1982

macrumors member
May 18, 2018
For my needs I'm satisfied with everything except the iGPU

A dGPU would have been ideal, but if they insisted on integrated there were better options available. The 630 is going to suck hard.

Also the Apple tax went up a bit, but this is the life we chose.

I plan to buy, it will replace my Windows stopgap and serve as another stopgap until the new Mac Pro in "2019".

I rate it 3 happy faces out of 5.

Reactions: Naimfan

ShizPadoo

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2018
This thing is expensive without the monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
Indeed. I'm fairly OK with the charges for the tech upgrades because with some research I can make an informed decision on which to choose, but £180 for a keyboard and mouse that are essential to operate it - more if you want them in Space Grey to match the chassis. That's insane.

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
Agreed! For music production using Logic, Cubase etc these machines are great. Especially the hex i7. No dedicated GPU needed, just as much CPU as possible for VST and Audio Unit plug-ins. Expand storage for files over TB to external drive ftw

Given that Apple are embracing TB3 expansion (i.e eGPU in this case), I think this is actually a good move.

There is no better integrated GPU option for desktop Intel's, and it's unlikely they could cool anything 'pro' enough to suit the high end market anyway. A low level dedicated card is just going to raise more "why is it only X", while increasing the price, and increasing the cooling requirements.

This way, I get to spend my (compay's) money on CPU and Memory which I care about, and not on GPU, which I don't really care about (a headless linux VM has zero gpu requirements. 20 of them has 20xzero requirements).

This way, someone with high end video requirements can get exactly what they want in an eGPU case, without having to worry about whether it will overheat the CPU and cause it to throttle, or cause the fans imitate a jet turbine.

Apple highlighted a lot of use cases that have very little if any need for more than integrated graphics.

From my position, 2 4K monitors full of terminal IDE and the occasional browser windows shouldn't really demand much in the way of graphics.

Reactions: Miat

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Indeed. I'm fairly OK with the charges for the tech upgrades because with some research I can make an informed decision on which to choose, but £180 for a keyboard and mouse that are essential to operate it - more if you want them in Space Grey to match the chassis. That's insane.

So don't buy them. I bought a Logitech illuminated keyboard that has excellent typing quality for $60 and I'm on my 3rd Microsoft Intellimouse 5-button optical mouse (great for gaming and extra buttons that can be assigned to bring up mission control, etc. I've never liked Apple's keyboards or mice to begin with. I'd just move these over if I got a new Mini.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I wish it came in silver.

So, it seems, do a few others here.

The lack of silver doesn’t bother me (I find it’s quite refreshing after a decade of silver) but it’s curious to me that they didn’t offer it in both, as they do with the MacBook/MacBook Pro

there were better options available

Are there though? My understanding is that there’s nothing better available for desktop CPU’s

TVreporter

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
Originally the mini was positioned as a low-cost computer for switchers (people switching to the Mac from Windows), and the idea was that they would already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse from their old computer, so they could use those, and it would lower the price and barrier to entry. And assuming we actually see some price savings from their exclusion, I'm perfectly happy not getting them since I already have nice peripherals that I would be using with it.

Is it compatible with the blue tooth iMac keyboard and mouse?

Snappers

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2016
[QUOTE="I know you could just deal with the crap internal drive and go external, but it's such a waste of space to have to do EVERYTHING external all over the desk. I've got TWO drives inside my current Mac Mini! In fact, I'm starting to think maybe I should just throw a 2TB replacement SSD in that one (it has actual SATA connectors!) and that would probably more than acceptable for some time still (other than gaming).[/QUOTE]

Do you know if the 2018 mini will have the option to install any type of extra internal storage?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.