Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
An update came through for me to upgrade the 4.3 software on the N7. I uninstalled NF first, did the upgrade, and reinstalled NF. It works fine now. I did not see the requirement on the Play Store that one needed to have the latest software for 4.3 for the app to work on the N7. I need to be more observant. :)

No luck for me I'm afraid. I even tried factory resetting but still no avail.

Hopefully they sort it soon. I'll just have to make do with AppleTV, PS3, Wii U, S4, SmartTV app for my netflix fun.... :D

I bought the official Nexus 7 2013 carry case from Asus today .... It feels really horribly cheap and nasty. Really it's quite the most tacky feeling case and they are charging €39.99 :eek: Looks like I'll be getting a third party one to replace this as it's so bad.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah I quit using Flipboard altogether. I now just use Currents on the S4 & N7 and Pulse on the N7 & iPad mini.

I'm very impressed with currents. It's my first time using it. Everything is smooth and fast and the aesthetics of it look great.

I really dig Google's whole card look. If this is an indication of where android is headed in the next ui refresh I'm excited.

So long flipboard.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Can someone explain to me why chrome beta runs so poorly on the nexus 7 but runs perfectly fine on my HTC one?

And yet regular chrome runs fine on my nexus 7 (and the HTC one).

What the hell?

Edit: maybe it's just Mac rumors. Because I don't see chrome beta going crazy with any other sites. Don't know what's up. Mac rumors totally sucks on chrome and chrome beta.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
You know what else drives me up the walls? The fact that you can't permanently put chrome in desktop mode. What the heck is that about?

----------

And is it me or does the bubble thing that pops up for when you hit links that are close together pop up a little too often? There are times where I've clearly touched a link and the bubble will still pop up asking for clarification. What's up with that?

I have to ask again, why is chrome beta on the nexus 7 so damn weird?

WxMX4mZ.png

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
You know what else drives me up the walls? The fact that you can't permanently put chrome in desktop mode. What the heck is that about?

----------

And is it me or does the bubble thing that pops up for when you hit links that are close together pop up a little too often? There are times where I've clearly touched a link and the bubble will still pop up asking for clarification. What's up with that?

Use Tapatalk HD

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

----------

I actually really like the bubble. I can just tap without having to be precise or zoom in

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I actually really like the bubble. I can just tap without having to be precise or zoom in

Me too but it seems to pop up way too often on the Nexus 7. Sometimes even when I'm clearly hitting the only link that's there, with no other link nearby. It's particularly troubling with MacRumors.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

This happens unreasonably often on the Note 2 as well. Exactly that thing - the bubble pops up even though it's 100% clear that I did hit the link. I was about to say "maybe that's just the 'beta' part of it", but then I realised what I use on the Note 2 is not a beta version.

This is one point where I had less trouble on Chrome on my iPhone 4S. I would hit the right links to an unlikely degree, especially given that small screen. It seemed almost like magic sometimes.

Other browsers on Android may be better in this regard, but I'm just too fond of the side swipe between tabs to use anything but Chrome. Come one Google, get polishing.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This happens unreasonably often on the Note 2 as well. Exactly that thing - the bubble pops up even though it's 100% clear that I did hit the link. I was about to say "maybe that's just the 'beta' part of it", but then I realised what I use on the Note 2 is not a beta version.

This is one point where I had less trouble on Chrome on my iPhone 4S. I would hit the right links to an unlikely degree, especially given that small screen. It seemed almost like magic sometimes.

Other browsers on Android may be better in this regard, but I'm just too fond of the side swipe between tabs to use anything but Chrome. Come one Google, get polishing.

For serious. What is up with Chrome on Android devices. Makes no sense.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Looks like the LTE version is now available in the US via Google Play Store, shipping in 1-2 business days.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Over 2 days and 10 hours off battery. I'm loving my nexus 7 battery life.

It really went skyward when I turned off Wi-Fi during sleep (under Wi-Fi advanced settings). All my important alerts go to my phone anyway.

kFfbzPB.png

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
For those with Netflix issues and getting 15001 error, I cleared my data and cache for the app. You will have to log back in after but it fixed it for me.

Hope that helps.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Netflix inexplicably decided to work finally on my Nexus 7. Though I have yet to find any HD content that makes it Netflix HD?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Netflix inexplicably decided to work finally on my Nexus 7. Though I have yet to find any HD content that makes it Netflix HD?

I don't know if it is HD but I just started watching "Hell On Wheels" on my N7 and Ipad Mini via Netflix and it looks astounding. I might just go grab the Blu Ray since I was so pleased with the quality I saw on my mobile devices. :D

I am pretty sure you can do a search on Netflix for movies and TV shows in HD.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Most everything is HD on Netflix. Especially the newer stuff

Might just be the programmes I'm watching, or it might be regionalised so that here there isn't as much. I tried even The Hobbit and it was clearly SD so perhaps they haven't rolled out HD to Ireland.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Today I saw and tried the new Nexus 7. Really liked it. Screen is awesome and not that small. With the original I had the impression it was too small but not with this one, maybe due to the Full HD screen. Web browsing was good.

Really nice to hold and all.

Overall Im considering buying a 32GB model to replace my Nexus 10. I would like to play some games but the Nexus 10 is too big and awkward to hold.

Will decide in the next week or two. If I buy it then no Nexus 5 for me. I'll stick with my SGS3 one more year until Nexus 6 or something much improved over my SGS3.

I actually would enjoy more using the Nexus 7 than a Nexus phone. I really dont need stock Android or updates in my phone, but I do on a tablet.

One problem might be that the Nexus 7 battery will definitely be worse than on my Nexus 10.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Today I saw and tried the new Nexus 7. Really liked it. Screen is awesome and not that small. With the original I had the impression it was too small but not with this one, maybe due to the Full HD screen. Web browsing was good.

Really nice to hold and all.

Overall Im considering buying a 32GB model to replace my Nexus 10. I would like to play some games but the Nexus 10 is too big and awkward to hold.

Will decide in the next week or two. If I buy it then no Nexus 5 for me. I'll stick with my SGS3 one more year until Nexus 6 or something much improved over my SGS3.

I actually would enjoy more using the Nexus 7 than a Nexus phone. I really dont need stock Android or updates in my phone, but I do on a tablet.

One problem might be that the Nexus 7 battery will definitely be worse than on my Nexus 10.

I have a Nex 7 and Nex 10 and wanted to comment...(My opinions)

-The Nexus 7 seems more stable than my 10 and has a better build quality.
-The Nexus 7 actually has a longer battery life than my 10, but I don't use either heavily, so it has never been a real issue for me either way
-Gaming is much better and actually more "fluid" on my 7 vs. 10 (best examples are Asphalt 8 and Riptide 2, much better framerate on the 7)

-Not dissing my 10, I actually think (contrast aside) the Nex 10 has a better screen than my 7. I've compared 4 Nexus 7 screens at one time and two had identical white balance, one was slightly warmer and one was much cooler (more bluish/white). The problem was two of those 4 had screen tap ghosting issues even after google's update to 4.3. Hence, two of those four tablets have been returned!

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
Tried to play with the Nexus 7 at Best Buy and it was in this crappy demo mode that wouldn't turn off. Guy in my differentials class has one and told me he loves it.

Would you recommend it? The last few pages of this thread have been on updates and complaints. Thanks in advance. Been willing to try Android for quite some time now.

steviewhy

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
I'm just bumping this thread to mention that the LTE model is now available from the play store in the following countries: Australia, Canada, Germany, Spain, France, the UK, Japan, Korea and Italy.

I should get mine next week some time. I'm looking forward to it.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
My Nexus 7 has arrived. Some remarks:

- I can't find out how Chrome can be made full-screen. It should already support it as full screen support was added this July. Delphin, on the other hand, works just fine in full screen - except for video playback, when it switches back (very annoyingly) between true full screen (without the three soft buttons) and normal mode.

- of the f.lux-alikes, I've tested Good Sleep and EasyEyez. Only the former seems to work.

- stereo speakers are indeed great. Does anyone know whether there's a way of extending their stereo, as could be done on the Nokia N95?

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
I need advice, should I get the new nexus 7 (LTE) or wait to see the ipad mini refresh. I think that having iphone with ios and tablet with the same operating system is kind of boring, thats why I'm looking for android tablet. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.