Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
The iPad Mini is less spec-ed already, costs more, and will cost an additional $100 dollars per storage upgrade. Apple's "premium" markups can sometimes be ridiculous.

But people keep throwing their hard-earned cash at Apple. I guess, as long as millions of people pay the premium, why should Apple upgrade the specs or lower their prices?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Still no damn update.

Not entirely sure I see any logic to Google's update rollouts.

Mine installed a mandatory update when I first connected it to my WiFi and then another one (the touch GPS fix) shortly after it was set up.

How yours can still be waiting makes no sense.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Still no damn update.

Couch, try the steps in the first post of this thread. Doesn't modify your Nexus in any way, just i think basically tricking Google's servers into think your due for the update.

Yes, should have to do things like this but, might as well use it if it works. I done this trick a few times in the past on my Nexus devices to force an update I hadn't received yet.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Mine's arrived - not too impressed

Maybe it's because my phone is a Galaxy S4 so I'm used to a slightly different Android experience, but so far my Nexus 7 experience has been rather underwhelming and a bit like going back to the bad days of iOS.

- Why must I go deep into menus just to change the brightness?

- Where are the quick wifi/bluetooth/GPS toggles?

- Why is the screen so small when the unit is so big? In Chrome, only about 50% of the front of the unit actually displays the web page (the rest taken up by the epic bezel, the tabs, the address bar and the home/back/menu soft keys).

- The camera is pretty awful

- No home button make unlocking quite an awkward affair - even more so when it's laying flat on a desk, you need two hands to unlock it.

- I can't hide/uninstall all the pointless apps like ChatON and Hangouts (whatever they are)

- Where's the battery percentage display?

- How do I lock the screen rotation?

So far, really not very impressed at all.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Maybe it's because my phone is a Galaxy S4 so I'm used to a slightly different Android experience, but so far my Nexus 7 experience has been rather underwhelming and a bit like going back to the bad days of iOS.

- Why is the screen so small when the unit is so big? In Chrome, only about 50% of the front of the unit actually displays the web page.

- No home button make unlocking quite an awkward affair.

- I can't hide/uninstall all the pointless apps like ChatON and Hangouts (whatever they are)

Someone tell this guy about widgets.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

- Why must I go deep into menus just to change the brightness? -> pull down right side of the screen

- Where are the quick wifi/bluetooth/GPS toggles? -> pull down right side of the screen

- Why is the screen so small when the unit is so big? In Chrome, only about 50% of the front of the unit actually displays the web page (the rest taken up by the epic bezel, the tabs, the address bar and the home/back/menu soft keys). -> bezel is not part of the screen and the tabs hide themselves

- The camera is pretty awful -> it is a tablet

- No home button make unlocking quite an awkward affair - even more so when it's laying flat on a desk, you need two hands to unlock it.

- I can't hide/uninstall all the pointless apps like ChatON and Hangouts (whatever they are) -> yes, you can

- Where's the battery percentage display? -> pull down right side of the screen

- How do I lock the screen rotation?-> pull down right side of the screen

Are you sure that you have a Nexus 7?

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Quick settings. Swipe down on the notification tray at the upper right hand side.

screenbcb.png

Long press on the toggles shown above or add the included power toggle widget.
screenifi.png

- Why is the screen so small when the unit is so big? In Chrome, only about 50% of the front of the unit actually displays the web page (the rest taken up by the epic bezel, the tabs, the address bar and the home/back/menu soft keys).

Use your phone?

Settings > apps > tap on app > disable.
screenutu.png

Use the quick toggles or install a third party app to show percentage in the notifications

Toggles shown above.

Should fix some of the issues! :D

----------

Battery widget reborn is my suggested percentage app by the way.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.hubalek.android.apps.reborn.pro

Also adds quick toggles to the notification tray.
screenhth.png

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Should fix some of the issues!

Thank you - that does. I sat and played for about half an hour and couldn't work these things out. Never tried swiping the right side, for example, just the middle.

What happened to a good old instruction manual?

Thanks again for being helpful.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Thank you - that does. I sat and played for about half an hour and couldn't work these things out. Never tried swiping the right side, for example, just the middle.

What happened to a good old instruction manual?

Thanks again for being helpful.

No probs! Touchwiz is quite different from the stock experience.

You've likely got ChatOn and some of the Samsung apps installed because I'm thinking you chose to restore all app data from your account (unfortunately, this will install all pre-installed apps on other phones that are updated via the Play Store).

Those should be uninstallable from the apps settings fine and be completely removed.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Update chrome. The latest updates hide the address bar and tab bar once you scroll down. The orientation lock is on the quick settings pull down on the right side of the status bar.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Should fix some of the issues!

One to add to the list:

- Does not play videos. MPEG4 videos that my computer, phone, TV and Playstation all play happily are apparently an "Unsupported file format" on the Nexus 7.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
One to add to the list:

- Does not play videos. MPEG4 videos that my computer, phone, TV and Playstation all play happily are apparently an "Unsupported file format" on the Nexus 7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad

I recommend this over vlc at the moment. The nexus 7 2013 supports the hw+ decoder by the way so enable that. It will tell you about it when you launch the application the first time. It saves a ton of battery over software decoding.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.