Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Ya I have no idea what was happening. As you can see in the charts, when it was red idle power drain was much better. But I didn't change anything, it just started sipping less power. And I didn't reboot the device so that doesn't explain it. My Nexus 7 just randomly decided to use less power mid way through.

I didn't have any weird apps going either. Most of the time I get pretty decent battery life, but this is the second time something like this has happened. And I never got anything quite like in that XDA thread. Sometimes when watching movies on Plex I can get about 7 hours, but that is just watching movies and the guy on XDA seemed to push his device a little further. I am definitely not seeing anyone get the 9-10 hours that is marketed on Google Play.

Also, battery life is much more consistent on my iPad.

Today, I'm already passed your 2H 22M screen on time. I'm clocked at 2H 36M screen on time and 13H 11M off battery. Still at 62%.

Something's amiss with your N7 or app(s).

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Today, I'm already passed your 2H 22M screen on time. I'm clocked at 2H 36M screen on time and 13H 11M off battery. Still at 62%.

Something's amiss with your N7 or app(s).

Something was mainly amiss with "Android OS." Really the apps don't seem to be the problem.

Things are doing better today. 6.5 hours off battery, 72% left, 1.5 hours SOT. Again, it just looks like my Nexus 7 randomly wanted to start sipping less power. Looking back at the chart, idle power drain dropped midway through the cycle for no reason.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
You know this how? Quite a claim considering you don't know the source of problem. We're all running android on our nexus 7s too.

I think strausd was being literal regarding Android OS. I don't have a Nexus any longer but I believe one of the line items under usage is Android OS. I know it's not exactly the same but when I look on my One, there's a line under my usage listed as Android System.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think strausd was being literal regarding Android OS. I don't have a Nexus any longer but I believe one of the line items under usage is Android OS. I know it's not exactly the same but when I look on my One, there's a line under my usage listed as Android System.

Ah.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
You know this how? Quite a claim considering you don't know the source of problem. We're all running android on our nexus 7s too.

Haha ya. "Android OS" was the number one listed thing in my battery stats. Hence the quote marks ;)

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
So I finally joined the ranks of tablet owners with the new Nexus 7. So far, i.e. today, I'm only half impressed.

Lets start with the bad:
"Package file is invalid" - I know it is just a temporary bug, but it kinda sucks when you can't install half of the stuff that you wanted to use the tablet for...
Wifi-connectivity: In particular the play store often thinks that I am offline, forcing me to tap the "retry" multiple times until it works. I've noticed the same behavior on my Nexus 4, not sure if it is due to my home wifi (pretty fast usually), or due to some energy saver settings
Lag: is evident here and there, more than on my phone. Surprised to see the Movies play store lag so bad... you would think they would optimize there. Some of the lag might be related to loading stuff from the web though.

Ok, the good:
The photo gallery from my phone, that is mirrored in Google+, is readily available on the phone.
It is convenient to show someone a webpage or email or anything... easier than carrying the laptop over
Don't have to steal my wife's kindle paperwhite anymore
Watching movies is... well I don't know, Netflix wouldn't install

Well, I hope that over time the good stuff grows and some of the bad stuff is fixed. I will most likely keep it, even if it just ends up being a fancy e-reader. Going on a long flight soon, will see if it is useful there.

Oh finally... where do I put it? Usually the phone charges over night... do I charge the tablet during the day? Do I have to buy two wireless orbs? Too much e-stuff.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
So with the reoccurring gossip of the retina ipad mini, is anyone thinking of ditching their Nexus 7 for it?

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
So with the reoccurring gossip of the retina ipad mini, is anyone thinking of ditching their Nexus 7 for it?

I plan to pick up a retina mini with LTE - probably the 32 or 64 as I think it would last me a couple of years and be worth the price.

I wish the wifi-only mini's would come with a GPS, but such is life.

I am also very interested in what Samsung does with their next 8" Note.

I wont be ditching my Nexus 7 though. Still holding back from buying a new one since my usage wouldn't be tremendously improved by the upgrades over the first gen. Until the Nexus phone comes out, the 7 will be my Android device.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

Nah. I'm enjoying my Nexus 7. And with iOS devices, I get bored quickly because there's nothing you can do to change the feel of it.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Nah. I'm enjoying my Nexus 7. And with iOS devices, I get bored quickly because there's nothing you can do to change the feel of it.

I'm more bored with Android (Have a Nexus 4 & 7) then I am with iOS. I am loving using my iPad Mini each and every day. I keep going back to my 4S as my main phone. Apps rule on iOS.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I'm more bored with Android (Have a Nexus 4 & 7) then I am with iOS. I am loving using my iPad Mini each and every day. I keep going back to my 4S as my main phone. Apps rule on iOS.

Apps are too limiting on iOS. I love being able to download an ad blocker for my browser, or download an app to bring up toggles in my notification drop down area, or an app to control the LED lighting on my phone. Or be able to completely revamp my launcher. You can't do anything like that on a stock iOS device.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Apps are too limiting on iOS. I love being able to download an ad blocker for my browser, or download an app to bring up toggles in my notification drop down area, or an app to control the LED lighting on my phone. Or be able to completely revamp my launcher. You can't do anything like that on a stock iOS device.

I'm talking about how too many apps on Android don't have tablet versions. Too man of them are scaled up phone apps. I don't care what color the notification light is. I can block ads on my 4S with a mod installed through Cydia.

The apps on iOS are much better on my 4S and my iPad.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Variety is the spice of life as they say and I've come to see that it's good to have both OS's. At first I only had ios, then when my iphone was stolen I used an android fan and found it interesting. At that point ios became boring. I used Android for about 8 months and then it became boring so I bought some ios devices. I've been using mainly iOS devices for the past 8 months. Now I feel bored with iOS again so I've turned to android again. Having both means that when I get bored I can switch to something else. Having both means you get the best of both worlds.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I don't care what color the notification light is. I can block ads on my 4S with a mod installed through Cydia.

The apps on iOS are much better on my 4S and my iPad.

Just the existence of a notification LED makes a huge difference. I can see if I have a text message or a missed call without ever turning my screen on.

You can't do anything like that on a stock iOS device.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I bought the 32GB new Nexus 7 on release day. It's really a great tablet for the money, hardware wise. Everything is fast and smooth, except that damned Chrome browser :mad: When in Chrome, 25% the time it doesn't register my touch on links, another 25% it clicks the wrong thing, the other 25% it zooms in on what I tried to click when there's an adjacent link and then it doesn't register my touch when I try to click on the zoomed in link :mad: Touchscreen response and accuracy is not a problem doing anything else on it.

While I'm at it, even with its 2GB of RAM, it's constantly purging tabs I have open in the browser. Turn it off walk away for a little while, when I turn it back on it has to refresh each and every single tab. Meanwhile I can leave tabs open on my Mini with its measly 512MB of RAM and it keeps the tabs indefinitely as long as I don't open too many other apps. Want to browse my bookmarks in Chrome? Yeah it purges the contents in your current tab :rolleyes: Google wants new ads served to you every chance it gets.

I really enjoy using it, until it gets on my nerve all over again when I use the browser. I really want to use the AOSP browser but the only way to get it is to get the .apk from some unknown source. Tried Dolphin and Firefox too. While they handle touchscreen better there are other compromises.

For this reason I still enjoy using my iPads better. Sorry for the rant, boring Friday night :p

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Loving it. No problems except random freezes for a few seconds while typing. It freezes for about 5 or 6 seconds than becomes responsive again. Anyone else seeing this. It's very random.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Loving it. No problems except random freezes for a few seconds while typing. It freezes for about 5 or 6 seconds than becomes responsive again. Anyone else seeing this. It's very random.

Strange. Try Kii key board. It's basically android keyboard plus. And it's free.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Strange. Try Kii key board. It's basically android keyboard plus. And it's free.

I've actually started to have random freezes of my keyboard too. The culprit for me seems to be kii keyboard. I switched to the stock keyboard and everything is fine for now. I don't have this problem on my optimus g pro.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I've actually started to have random freezes of my keyboard too. The culprit for me seems to be kii keyboard. I switched to the stock keyboard and everything is fine for now. I don't have this problem on my optimus g pro.

Very weird. I use Kii keyboard exclusively both on my one and my n7. No issues. Definitely no freezing up.

I'm stumped.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
ever since upgrading to 4.3 on my n4....android OS eats 45%+ each day
I might suggest you try a clean install.

After upgrading my Nexus 4 to Android 4.3 I'm getting increased battery life. While it's modest, it's noticeable enough to afford me an additional two hours of use each day. I'm thinking that perhaps you got a bad download, or something impacted your upgrade.

At the office six of us are close friends who enjoy both platforms, our iPhones and Nexus phones. We've all got 4.3 installed on our N4's and they are performing very well.

Beyond that, on the Android forums I frequent, I haven't noticed any battery life reduction with 4.3, only increases similar to what I and my friends are enjoying.

----------

I've been alternating between the new Google keyboard, SWYPE and SwiftKey, so far mine has been very responsive and smooth.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I might suggest you try a clean install.

After upgrading my Nexus 4 to Android 4.3 I'm getting increased battery life. While it's modest, it's noticeable enough to afford me an additional two hours of use each day. I'm thinking that perhaps you got a bad download, or something impacted your upgrade.

At the office six of us are close friends who enjoy both platforms, our iPhones and Nexus phones. We've all got 4.3 installed on our N4's and they are performing very well.

Beyond that, on the Android forums I frequent, I haven't noticed any battery life reduction with 4.3, only increases similar to what I and my friends are enjoying.

----------

I've been alternating between the new Google keyboard, SWYPE and SwiftKey, so far mine has been very responsive and smooth.

There is a big thread on android central forums about wake lock issues found in 4.2.1 returning. People are fixing the issue by disabling location services. I don't want to do that though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.