Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Oh yesssss, Android feels right now. The defective screen really was the culprit.

Android tablet experience warming up.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Oh yesssss, Android feels right now. The defective screen really was the culprit.

Congrats and enjoy!

Also, try not to notice the absurdly grotesque bezels, the inexcusable lag and jitteriness of Chrome, the inability to back up anything without treating your device like a pile of floppy disks, and the ugly UI.

If you can possibly figure out how to get a movie on it, it might be not terrible at playing it, but otherwise try somehow to use the browser on it to order an iPad mini. Supposedly the keyboard is maybe not terrible to use, so, if you can manage to type in the URL (store.apple.com), you might, with a lot of pain, be able to press the buttons to get to where you can enter your info and complete the order - hopefully before the battery dies.

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
I just updated my 1st gen. N7 and it still is very hard to correct something in the address bar.
I do not see any difference yet in the OS update.
What am I missing?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I just updated my 1st gen. N7 and it still is very hard to correct something in the address bar.
I do not see any difference yet in the OS update.
What am I missing?
Other than the app restrictions, which no one without kids and few people with them will likely use, about the only change is the under-the-covers bit to free up space and speed things up, but you need to have the N7 asleep and charging for a fairly long time before that will happen (like, overnight).

Besides that, I really don't see a lot of change. Most of the changes I see are in the Play apps and such, which are not part of the OS update.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I really wish I could remove one or two of the home screens. Why doesn't Google allow you to customize the number of home screens? There's just no need for so many screens! I can't fill them up!

----------

Congrats and enjoy!

Also, try not to notice the absurdly grotesque bezels, the inexcusable lag and jitteriness of Chrome, the inability to back up anything without treating your device like a pile of floppy disks, and the ugly UI.

If you can possibly figure out how to get a movie on it, it might be not terrible at playing it, but otherwise try somehow to use the browser on it to order an iPad mini. Supposedly the keyboard is maybe not terrible to use, so, if you can manage to type in the URL (store.apple.com), you might, with a lot of pain, be able to press the buttons to get to where you can enter your info and complete the order - hopefully before the battery dies.

: slow clap :

SlowClap2.jpg

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I really wish I could remove one or two of the home screens. Why doesn't Google allow you to customize the number of home screens? There's just no need for so many screens! I can't fill them up!
Get yourself a nice live wallpaper, like Ocean HD, WeatherBug, or the like, and you'll be happier. ;)

Last edited:

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
What is an example of a page that loads poorly in Chrome? I'm not seeing the issue in Chrome, Chrome beta, or Dolphin.

The Verge, Engadget, and pretty much any tech blog site with lots of pictures brings out the worst in Google Chrome for Android.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The Verge, Engadget, and pretty much any tech blog site with lots of pictures brings out the worst in Google Chrome for Android.

Google should just revert back to the stock android browser. Its still updated with every new android version. You can install it without root too.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2385928

----------

----------

: slow clap :

Install nova launcher or apex launcher. Both are based on the stock android launcher.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

I have no idea why Google hasn't allowed this one simple option with the stock browser? Makes no sense. Thankfully we have a plethora of 3rd party launchers.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

I'd use Apex or Nova because of this very issue (Nova is my choice).

Stock launcher with the three screens I need, not two further wasted ones.

Funny thing is, I remember when people got excited over stock Android getting 5 home screens, up from three.

Now we have high DPI displays, I find that there is little need for so much desktop space. :p

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'd use Apex or Nova because of this very issue (Nova is my choice).

Stock launcher with the three screens I need, not two further wasted ones.

Funny thing is, I remember when people got excited over stock Android getting 5 home screens, up from three.

Now we have high DPI displays, I find that there is little need for so much desktop space. :p

I think it is weird that you cannot delete screens in stock. That and that icons are gigantic. I use nova with 70% icon size.

Slyth66

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2013
I would read through the 22 pages, but I'm lazy so I appologize if this has already been addressed....

I just got my new Nexus 7 yesterday and right out of the box I noticed the speakers got distorted and "buzzy", especially when using Google Voice search (when I click the button, the noise it makes is loud and crackles, then when I finish speaking that noise is also bad quality). If I lower the volume way below 50% it sounds fine, and music actually sounds fine as well (but slightly suffer from the same effect if you listen closely).

Just curious if this was normal for the speakers to act up with the notification noises and not music, or if my device is faulty?

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

I bought the Nexus 7 today and I think I have the same problem as you. The screen is so sensitive that just scrolling a web page results in links being clicked while scrolling. Also, sometimes web pages zoom while scrolling as if I had double tapped it to zoom. When I'm scrolling through the Play Store it select apps while I'm scrolling as if I had selected one.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I've read that the 2nd gen N7 is having GPS issues. Do you still need Wifi or a data plan to use Maps along with the built in GPS? :confused:

From everything i've read it sounds like you don't need Wifi or a data carrier to use Maps if you are travelling.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Google and good battery life just don't mix.

Attachments

• 2013-08-10 19.07.09.png
    2013-08-10 19.07.09.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 2013-08-10 19.07.15.png
    2013-08-10 19.07.15.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 133

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
??

The battery life on the first gen N7 was decent (until 4.2, at least), what happened?

Great question. As you can tell from screen on time and in the graph, I didn't have it on all that much. Random processes were taking up all my battery when they shouldn't have.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Google and good battery life just don't mix.

This is in contrast to the below thread where most people have reported very good battery life. Battery experience for android users is so varied , it really is hard to pinpoint what should be the ideal battery life for a device. Ipads are much better in this regard as most people experience stellar battery life.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2381370

Last edited:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
YouTube has been freezing on me several times. Also modern combat 4. And the system ui as well. I am rooted. Any one else having this or am I alone?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Something's definitely wrong there, Straus.

I'm not sure why your chart is dropping so steeply during times of having the screen off. You sure you don't got something running amok there?

When my N7 is in idle, the bar is nearly flat across the chart.

I've been experiencing amazing battery life so far. Since my last fully charge, I'm at 87% with 10H 20M on battery with 1H 9M of screen on usage.

And previous to that, I forgot what it was exactly, but it was something really amazing too, like 3+ hours of screen on time, 2 days off charge, and it was still something in the range of 50%. Again, this is just from memory, but so far the battery life is great.

Don't forget, folks, in your WiFi settings menu, you can hit "Advanced" setting you can toggle whether to keep WiFi on or not during sleep.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
This is in contrast to the below thread where most people have reported very good battery life. Battery experience for android users is so varied , it really is hard to pinpoint what should be the ideal battery life for a device. Ipads are much better in this regard as most people experience stellar battery life.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2381370

Something's definitely wrong there, Straus.

I'm not sure why your chart is dropping so steeply during times of having the screen off. You sure you don't got something running amok there?

When my N7 is in idle, the bar is nearly flat across the chart.

I've been experiencing amazing battery life so far. Since my last fully charge, I'm at 87% with 10H 20M on battery with 1H 9M of screen on usage.

And previous to that, I forgot what it was exactly, but it was something really amazing too, like 3+ hours of screen on time, 2 days off charge, and it was still something in the range of 50%. Again, this is just from memory, but so far the battery life is great.

Don't forget, folks, in your WiFi settings menu, you can hit "Advanced" setting you can toggle whether to keep WiFi on or not during sleep.

Ya I have no idea what was happening. As you can see in the charts, when it was red idle power drain was much better. But I didn't change anything, it just started sipping less power. And I didn't reboot the device so that doesn't explain it. My Nexus 7 just randomly decided to use less power mid way through.

I didn't have any weird apps going either. Most of the time I get pretty decent battery life, but this is the second time something like this has happened. And I never got anything quite like in that XDA thread. Sometimes when watching movies on Plex I can get about 7 hours, but that is just watching movies and the guy on XDA seemed to push his device a little further. I am definitely not seeing anyone get the 9-10 hours that is marketed on Google Play.

Also, battery life is much more consistent on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.