Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Does anyone else notice rather low volume levels when you have headphones plugged in, or have it plugged into aux? It's much lower than my iPhone.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
If I were to go to Android full time for my tablet it would have to be an 8inch screen. I couldn't do a narrow 7 inch screen for my main tablet.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If I were to go to Android full time for my tablet it would have to be an 8inch screen. I couldn't do a narrow 7 inch screen for my main tablet.

Thinking the same to be honest...

Whats putting me off more than anything is seeing the on screen buttons take up what is already precious space on a wider / narrower device in landscape mode whilst in the browser and such; it just acts as a major deterrent for me. Even Real Racing has the menu on screen in landscape. I thought it was meant to hide?

I must admit though, I found one (16gb) in eBay for €188 and €25 postage, had seriously considered ordering, but just watching youtube videos of it in operation - I know that menu would drive me nuts. I use my mini in landscape 95% of the time.

Sod it... Ordered!!!! Curses to my impulse!!!! Even if I don't like it, I can likely resell it here for same price as its not available for another 6-8 weeks here.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thinking the same to be honest...

Whats putting me off more than anything is seeing the on screen buttons take up what is already precious space on a wider / narrower device in landscape mode whilst in the browser and such; it just acts as a major deterrent for me. Even Real Racing has the menu on screen in landscape. I thought it was meant to hide?

I must admit though, I found one (16gb) in eBay for €188 and €25 postage, had seriously considered ordering, but just watching youtube videos of it in operation - I know that menu would drive me nuts. I use my mini in landscape 95% of the time.

Sod it... Ordered!!!! Curses to my impulse!!!! Even if I don't like it, I can likely resell it here for same price as its not available for another 6-8 weeks here.
You'll like it and the menu screen buttons you'll get used to as well. I first started out with Android tablets and later moved onto iPads. iPads have become my favorite but the Nexus 7 tablets are really nice, really good value. I have the first gen Nexus 7.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You'll like it and the menu screen buttons you'll get used to as well. I first started out with Android tablets and later moved onto iPads. iPads have become my favorite but the Nexus 7 tablets are really nice, really good value. I have the first gen Nexus 7.

Thanks...

I settled for the 16gb simply because I realise I don't tend to game on tablets or mobiles anymore, and only keep around 5gb of music on my device because a lot of it is already uploaded to Google Play Music... So really its just the few apps and I reckon that's only about 2-3GB worth at the most - so 16gb even if only 11 is user accessible, it should be more than enough.

My 64gb iPad mini has 38gb free and I realise this is just a waste....

If I like it my iPad mini will be given to a relative, if I don't I'll sell it and later buy a retina iPad mini.

Anyone recommend an eBook reader on Android (other than Kindle) to replace iBooks for my ePub books.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Ultimately this is the predominant reason why mine is going back. I've used it for a week and while the high resolution display is bright and crisp, it doesn't make up for the significant loss of on screen real estate--add in the on screen menu buttons and I just find it too small and narrow.

There a few other issues that are contributing to my decision to stay with the Mini but this is by far the deal breaker for me.

Attachments

• 2013-08-03 15.12.41.jpg
    2013-08-03 15.12.41.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 2013-08-03 15.14.50.jpg
    2013-08-03 15.14.50.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 142

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thanks...

I settled for the 16gb simply because I realise I don't tend to game on tablets or mobiles anymore, and only keep around 5gb of music on my device because a lot of it is already uploaded to Google Play Music... So really its just the few apps and I reckon that's only about 2-3GB worth at the most - so 16gb even if only 11 is user accessible, it should be more than enough.

My 64gb iPad mini has 38gb free and I realise this is just a waste....

If I like it my iPad mini will be given to a relative, if I don't I'll sell it and later buy a retina iPad mini.

Anyone recommend an eBook reader on Android (other than Kindle) to replace iBooks for my ePub books.
Try Aldiko, it's free btw and you can download it from the Google Play Store. :)

----------

Ultimately this is the predominant reason why mine is going back. I've used it for a week and while the high resolution display is bright and crisp, it doesn't make up for the significant loss of on screen real estate--add in the on screen menu buttons and I just find it too small and narrow.

There a few other issues that are contributing to my decision to stay with the Mini but this is by far the deal breaker for me.

That's why Apple's 4:3 format is still the best choice. Now the 16:10 format that the Nexus 7 uses does have it's advantages. One of them is that you can easily hold it in one hand just like an oversized cell-phone. But you sacrifice that for on-screen real estate.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That's why Apple's 4:3 format is still the best choice. Now the 16:10 format that the Nexus 7 uses does have it's advantages. One of them is that you can easily hold it in one hand just like an oversized cell-phone. But you sacrifice that for on-screen real estate.

I think you've hit on it exactly--it's basically like using an oversize cell phone. I have very specific uses for my phone vs. my tablet. I prefer browsing the web, reading, making notes, reading email on my tablet primarily because of the extra screen real estate offered by the 4:3 ratio. The skinnier profile works better on cell phones--I'd imagine I'd like my HTC One a lot less if it had the same 4:3 screen ratio has it hinders one hand use.

If the Nexus had grown to 8", I might have been able to make do but as it stands now, it just isn't the tablet for me. :(

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Update your chrome. The address and tab bar hide in the latest version.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Update your chrome. The address and tab bar hide in the latest version.

That's Chrome Beta--and yes, I'm aware it hides (most of the time but not always) once you start scrolling down. Scroll up and it appears once again. And even once it hides, it still doesn't match the Mini because of the screen size and the on screen buttons.

It also doesn't solve the same problem as it exists in other apps. For example, Zinio has black bars on the Nexus because it's formatted as a magazine would be--4:3. The result is a much smaller page.

I'm not claiming the Nexus 7 is inferior to the Mini--it's clearly not. My problem with the Nexus stems from my own personal preference in a tablet. I am truly bummed though as I really wanted to love it, just isn't the case.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What's everyone's battery life like so far?

For today I'm at 77% with device off charger for 8 hours 20+ minutes. 2 hours 3 minutes screen on time.

Does that sound right to anyone? Why do I get a bad feeling I have a bad battery?

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I've been having some random reboot problems. Looks like I'm not the only one:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2380866
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/mG4JXaT-SHs/ZlUXmqxy7LMJ

----------

What's everyone's battery life like so far?

For today I'm at 77% with device off charger for 8 hours 20+ minutes. 2 hours 3 minutes screen on time.

Does that sound right to anyone? Why do I get a bad feeling I have a bad battery?

Thats fantastic battery compared to what I normally get.

My battery typically gets 5 hours screen on time with mainly Chrome, K9, mySMS, tapatalk, feedly, pocket, and maybe 30-45 minutes of gaming. And brightness at roughly 25%.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I just get this weird sinking feeling something is defective with my N7.

Something about the touch screen seems off to me. Like it'll register two touches instead of one. For example, when I'm typing sometimes i'll get two letters that are near each other even if I've only tapped that area once.

For example, I'll get "Hey there hjow are you?" (the h and j being right next to each other on the keyboard, as if the screen registered both keys even if it was clearly just one touch).

Ditto for when I sometimes get the same letters repeated. Like "Hey there hoow are you" or "Hey there hhow are you".

It's maddeningly frustrating.

Am I the only one? Cause if so, maybe it's a faulty N7 screen.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

Something about the touch screen seems off to me. Like it'll register two touches instead of one. For example, when I'm typing sometimes i'll get two letters that are near each other even if I've only tapped that area once.

For example, I'll get "Hey there hjow are you?" (the h and j being right next to each other on the keyboard, as if the screen registered both keys even if it was clearly just one touch).

Ditto for when I sometimes get the same letters repeated. Like "Hey there hoow are you" or "Hey there hhow are you".

Definitely defective. Probably a row on the digitizer is broken. I have seen the same thing on a note 10.1 and an iPad 3.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

If I tap the recent apps button just right it does the same thing. And since I have screen tap sounds on, I can hear it too.

I am actually returning mine to Best Buy for a full refund. Past the 14 days from Best Buy, all warranty stuff and replacements have to go through Asus. I called them and they told me it could take 2-3 weeks to get a replacement device. And they won't send you one until they receive your defective one. No way am I going through that.

However, if you ordered it through Google Play, they will send you a replacement and you don't have to send in yours until after you get the new one. So you won't be going 3 weeks without your device.

So like I said, I am doing a full refund from Best Buy and I already have one from Google Play on its way. No way am I dealing with Asus's crap service department.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If I tap the recent apps button just right it does the same thing. And since I have screen tap sounds on, I can hear it too.

I am actually returning mine to Best Buy for a full refund. Past the 14 days from Best Buy, all warranty stuff and replacements have to go through Asus. I called them and they told me it could take 2-3 weeks to get a replacement device. And they won't send you one until they receive your defective one. No way am I going through that.

However, if you ordered it through Google Play, they will send you a replacement and you don't have to send in yours until after you get the new one. So you won't be going 3 weeks without your device.

So like I said, I am doing a full refund from Best Buy and I already have one from Google Play on its way. No way am I dealing with Asus's crap service department.

I called my Best Buy and they said they'll do an exchange. Return mine, and order me a new one. That's what I'm doing.

I'm not going anywhere near ASUS.

I really hope the defective unit is the reason why I've been having such a poor Android tablet experience.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009

if you root, you can hide the soft buttons with gmd auto hide

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
if you root, you can hide the soft buttons with gmd auto hide

Thanks but still doesn't solve the problem. No software is going to change the size/shape of the display--I like the 4:3 ratio on iPads, enough to deal with the Mini's shortcomings vs. the Nexus.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Welp, waiting for my replacement to ship to my house. ETA mid-next week.

I really think the defective touch screen was what made the Android tablet experience so poor for me. At least I hope that's what it was.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Welp, waiting for my replacement to ship to my house. ETA mid-next week.

I really think the defective touch screen was what made the Android tablet experience so poor for me. At least I hope that's what it was.

Just go to Best Buy or Walmart and try the one on display.

Coming from an Ipad3, you have an adjustment period especially with the screen size and aspect ratio.

Obviously the new Nexus has to work and I do not see many negative posts about that AND you have to like it. The latter I am not sure how it is going to work out for you. Time will tell.

----------

That's Chrome Beta--and yes, I'm aware it hides (most of the time but not always) once you start scrolling down. Scroll up and it appears once again. And even once it hides, it still doesn't match the Mini because of the screen size and the on screen buttons.

It also doesn't solve the same problem as it exists in other apps. For example, Zinio has black bars on the Nexus because it's formatted as a magazine would be--4:3. The result is a much smaller page.

I'm not claiming the Nexus 7 is inferior to the Mini--it's clearly not. My problem with the Nexus stems from my own personal preference in a tablet. I am truly bummed though as I really wanted to love it, just isn't the case.

I think Archos tablets are 4:3 aspect ratio but I am not sure of any other android tablets having that.

I would like an 8 inch android but my last experience with the SGT3 has me staying far away from it considering its specs and price versus the new Nexus.

I can not see me watching much video on the Nexus, the screen is great but the picture size is too small. For gaming and web browsing though, I like it alot.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I feel the exact same way. 4:3 on a tablet just works better since I use it mostly as a web browser.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I feel the exact same way. 4:3 on a tablet just works better since I use it mostly as a web browser.

Count me in with my Nexus 10.

I dislike the aspect ratio of Android tablets. Even 4:3 Android tablets are worse because they have the virtual buttons.

I don't want to go back to iOS, but the iPad seems the best tablet still just because of the 4:3 format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.