Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
The N7 is really growing on me. Still a few quirks though (like it really sucks in landscape mode. I've just turned off rotating entirely except for games).

Gotta say, the display is amazing. It's just a pleasure to read stuff off this display.

I have mine locked in landscape mode. :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
BTW, got to give Google credit here for finally pulling off a launch correctly. Even places that are selling out seem to be restocking very quickly. And the Play Store is -- gasp -- still up and running. I haven't heard of any crashes or foul ups with orders.

Good for Google. It's about time they got a launch right. Hopefully sign of things to come for future Nexus launches.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
First impression of the Nexus 7 is very good.

The bezels are really not that big of a deal in person. I love the way the device feels in the hand.

Power button is sort of hard to push though. Am I the only one? It's like the device curves too soon so it's hard to get a feel for the button... or something.

Nope not the only one. I found the power and volume buttons hard to press when I had it.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
BTW, got to give Google credit here for finally pulling off a launch correctly. Even places that are selling out seem to be restocking very quickly. And the Play Store is -- gasp -- still up and running. I haven't heard of any crashes or foul ups with orders.

Good for Google. It's about time they got a launch right. Hopefully sign of things to come for future Nexus launches.

And then they follow it up with the Moto X. They've still go a ways to go before I'll consider them successful on the hardware front.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

Well, I will start to give them credit when they can release a product not just in USA.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
And then they follow it up with the Moto X. They've still go a ways to go before I'll consider them successful on the hardware front.

Yup. Like I said before, this could've been Google's big one-two punch. Instead, it's only a one hit one jab round. It's a darn shame.

But in terms of successfully launching one of their Nexus devices, this is the first one that has gone smoothly.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yup. Like I said before, this could've been Google's big one-two punch. Instead, it's only a one hit one jab round. It's a darn shame.

But in terms of successfully launching one of their Nexus devices, this is the first one that has gone smoothly.

Yes, and considering the similarities, it does bode well for the Nexus phone (I hope).

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
So I finally tried the new nexus 7 in person at my local staples. Before this I was lukewarm about the device. Worried about the bezels, app ecosystem etc.

And then I picked it up...immediately I wanted to walk out of the store with this device. The ergonomics and performance were that nice. I could browse on chrome for android without gritting my teeth. Web browsing experience in chrome was a night and day difference compared to the original! And the size was perfect, so small and light! I have to wait until I have money saved but I am confident that even if I do eventually get an iPad I still want to have the new nexus 7.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Are you guys using the provided ASUS charger? Or are you guys just using your reg. ol' charger that goes with your Android devices? Being they're all USB...

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
After a few days with the N7, I'm actually still not convinced Android is what I want for my tablet experience. Something about Android on a tablet just feels messier and clunkier (whereas, as most of already you know, I find Android superior to any other OS in nearly every aspect on a smartphone).

I don't know. Something about Android rubs me the wrong way on a tablet.

The only alternative I'd consider is going back to iOS (on the iPad Mini), but the dilemmas there are ridiculous prices, guaranteed "old" hardware, potentially no Retina display until 2014 (be it early or late), and then the biggest issue: the various limitations of iOS itself.

Yet iOS on the tablet makes far more sense to me than iOS on a smartphone or Android on a tablet. Ironic, isn't it?

For now, I think keeping the N7 has a slight edge over returning it, and I'm still giving it a good chance and there are certainly things I like about the device and the overall experience (Emulators and ROMs = way better gaming experience, for one!), but ya... Android feels weird and foreign to me on a tablet.

Weird, huh?

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
After a few days with the N7, I'm actually still not convinced Android is what I want for my tablet experience. Something about Android on a tablet just feels messier and clunkier (whereas, as most of already you know, I find Android superior to any other OS in nearly every aspect on a smartphone).

I don't know. Something about Android rubs me the wrong way on a tablet.

The only alternative I'd consider is going back to iOS (on the iPad Mini), but the dilemmas there are ridiculous prices, guaranteed "old" hardware, potentially no Retina display until 2014 (be it early or late), and then the biggest issue: the various limitations of iOS itself.

Yet iOS on the tablet makes far more sense to me than iOS on a smartphone or Android on a tablet. Ironic, isn't it?

For now, I think keeping the N7 has a slight edge over returning it, and I'm still giving it a good chance and there are certainly things I like about the device and the overall experience (Emulators and ROMs = way better gaming experience, for one!), but ya... Android feels weird and foreign to me on a tablet.

Weird, huh?

Maybe give it a little bit more time? It can take a bit to get used to using a new device all the time opposed to what you had been using for months. Otherwise, the next iPad Mini is always right around the corner.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Okay, there are some serious problems with Android on the a Nexus 7.

The OS just isn't right.

There are definitely moments of "lag" or what I would call stutter. When you swipe between screens, there's the slightest stutter sometimes -- like a frame rate skipping or something.

When you type, sometimes the keyboard falls behind the slightest bit and there's this crazy "catching up" where the click sounds double up on each other, and the letters sort of go crazy a little bit trying to catch up. It's not so bad if it didn't sometimes suddenly add double letters. So you'll get a sentence that looks like this: "Hey how aare you dooing?" What gives?

Also, there's the slightest bit of lag when launching apps too. The glow surrounds your app icon, but it doesn't really launch right away. It just hangs there for the slightest second, and then finally goes (for what it's worth, I've noticed my iPad do this all the time too -- the icon gets grayed out which means it acknowledges your press, but it doesn't launch right away).

Then there are the miscellaneous stuff:

Once, I was typing on my device, and it suddenly went beserk and quit the app I was in (Chrome Beta) and went into my DropBox app for no reason. I had no idea what happened.

Anyone else for any of these issues?

This does not happen with Android on the smartphone. So I really don't know what's going on here.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Okay, there are some serious problems with Android on the a Nexus 7.

The OS just isn't right.

There are definitely moments of "lag" or what I would call stutter. When you swipe between screens, there's the slightest stutter sometimes -- like a frame rate skipping or something.

When you type, sometimes the keyboard falls behind the slightest bit and there's this crazy "catching up" where the click sounds double up on each other, and the letters sort of go crazy a little bit trying to catch up. It's not so bad if it didn't sometimes suddenly add double letters. So you'll get a sentence that looks like this: "Hey how aare you dooing?" What gives?

Also, there's the slightest bit of lag when launching apps too. The glow surrounds your app icon, but it doesn't really launch right away. It just hangs there for the slightest second, and then finally goes (for what it's worth, I've noticed my iPad do this all the time too -- the icon gets grayed out which means it acknowledges your press, but it doesn't launch right away).

Then there are the miscellaneous stuff:

Once, I was typing on my device, and it suddenly went beserk and quit the app I was in (Chrome Beta) and went into my DropBox app for no reason. I had no idea what happened.

Anyone else for any of these issues?

This does not happen with Android on the smartphone. So I really don't know what's going on here.

In the end, what do you prefer? Slight lag and stutter on some parts of the OS but having much more features and freedom or an almost perfectly smooth OS but years behind in terms of features (you won't get that Swype keyboard for example)?

I prefer having some lag and being able to do more.

I also prefer Android apps a thousand times more than iOS apps. Dropbox, my NAS app, torrent apps, emulators, YouTube downloading apps, MxPlayer, etc.

EDIT: by the way, I don't get that lag issues when opening apps in my Nexus 10. Maybe it's because I use other apps better developed. Only issue I get is slight lag, very slight. No other issues with apps.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
In the end, what do you prefer? Slight lag and stutter on some parts of the OS but having much more features and freedom or an almost perfectly smooth OS but years behind in terms of features (you won't get that Swype keyboard for example)?

I prefer having some lag and being able to do more.

100% valid and agreeable.

Just sucks that the Android tablet experience isn't as buttoned up as the Android smartphone experience. I really don't get why.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The N7 is really growing on me. Still a few quirks though (like it really sucks in landscape mode. I've just turned off rotating entirely except for games).

Gotta say, the display is amazing. It's just a pleasure to read stuff off this display.

What sucks about it in landscape mode?

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I think the lag to open with some apps is the apps problem, not the OS. I have noticed it especially on PocketCasts. It takes a couple seconds to launch. It's even worse of you are watching a video podcast (TWiT for example). Launch the video, then go to your home screen, and then open PocketCasts back up. It takes a good 3-5 seconds to reopen the video player.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Everything about this tablet I feel is reversed for me versus on a smartphone. For example I wish the power button was on top.

And to continue my rant, regular chrome sometimes bugs out and crashes also randomly sending me to the home screen. I was hoping this was just a quirk with chrome beta but just happened to me on regular chrome too. What the hell.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Everything about this tablet I feel is reversed for me versus on a smartphone. For example I wish the power button was on top.

And to continue my rant, regular chrome sometimes bugs out and crashes also randomly sending me to the home screen. I was hoping this was just a quirk with chrome beta but just happened to me on regular chrome too. What the hell.
Try Dolphin ! It's a really slick browser and it accepts search voice commands.

Explicitic

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Undecided

That would be the app loading...not lag.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

Chrome is probably the worst app in Android.

Root and install AOSP browser (it's in the Google Play Store). It's as smooth as the iPad browser. Really. All other browsers aren't that smooth.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Chrome is probably the worst app in Android.

Root and install AOSP browser (it's in the Google Play Store). It's as smooth as the iPad browser. Really. All other browsers aren't that smooth.

Root is no longer needed for the aosp browser. I developed a method to install it completely without root and its pretty simple.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2385928

----------

Any way to get it without rooting?

Yes there is.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Any truth to the rumor regarding Google releasing a Nexus 8 tablet?

Nope...

We've seen the rumors circulating, and we've received a number of tips from readers on the topic, so we wanted to address it directly, because the first thing you read on a topic is likely to stick. We'd rather that first thing be some healthy skepticism, rather than blind hope, because we feel we have just as much responsibility to kill bad information as to provide you with good info. That said, yes there are rumors that Google will add a Nexus 8 to the lineup in the fall, but as yet we see absolutely no reason to put any faith in the claims.

The big red flag with the rumor (and the reason we're surprised the rumor continues to stick around) is that it is based on concept renderings. More accurately, the rumor spurs from concept renders that first surfaced in May of a Nexus 5, Nexus 8, and Nexus 11; and, they weren't even all that impressive renders at the time (which is why we didn't report them). The images of the renders were just plain black rectangles with specs calling for a Nexus 8 with a 1200x1920 display and Snapdragon 600 processor, which is very realistic for a concept render.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Rumo...-in-the-fall-seem-too-baseless-for-us_id45280

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.