Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I was hoping it didn't have a back cover. I just want the front smart cover. Not finding anything like that. :T

Also, are you gents using screen protectors?

EDIT: Hm, maybe I want a pouch instead. Like the Kindle Fire pouches.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I am very interested in your opinion on the benefits of going from a gen 1 Nexus 7 to the new generation. I have a gen 1 32Gb that I like but I am on the fence about upgrading to the new gen or wait for an iPad mini with Retina.

I use it as a reader mostly but do watch the occasional movie and listen to the radio or music on it with a bluetooth speaker.

I don't watch a ton of movies on it so the screen upgrade doesn't scream to me to upgrade.

Please post your impressions and comparisons if you get a chance!

Thanks

Yep will do. It shipped yesterday so ill have it friday and report.

----------

I was hoping it didn't have a back cover. I just want the front smart cover. Not finding anything like that. :T

I didnt on tge first gen and had zero issues. For my new one I just ordred a case logic sleeve for throwing it in my bag. I like the feel of tablets without bulky cases.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The side bezel (not top, bottom) are so thin that it makes it impossible to use in portrait mode in any other way than holding it from behind (like picture below for example).

It's kind of annoying.

This is my first "small" tablet, so I'm getting accustomed to it. Is the iPad Mini like this, too? I would imagine it's even harder to hold cause it's wider?

nexus-7-1-15.jpg

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

I used to have a screen protector for my Nexus 4, but all it did was attract more finger prints and make a less smooth surface. So I think I'll go without one on my Nexus 7 as well.

Haven't decided on a case yet.

----------

The side bezel (not top, bottom) are so thin that it makes it impossible to use in portrait mode in any other way than holding it from behind (like picture below for example).

It's kind of annoying.

This is my first "small" tablet, so I'm getting accustomed to it. Is the iPad Mini like this, too? I would imagine it's even harder to hold cause it's wider?

nexus-7-1-15.jpg

I'm not having a problem with it in portrait. The side bezels are just enough for me to hold on to easily. And it feels extremely light.

Also, I'm 6'4 and have rather large hands, if that makes any difference.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA

It's kind of annoying.

I'm confused as to how you'd hold it otherwise - to me, it seems perfectly normal to hold it like that in one hand and use the other to operate it.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I like that its thinner. It makes it easy and comfortable to grab with one hand and use with the other. When I had the iPad Mini I couldn't do that because it was wider. I had to still hold it with two hands or uncomfortable hold it with one.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
I agree. I feel having both an Android phone and a 7 inch tablet is a bit redundant. But I love having the mini along with an Android phone. The screen on the mini could be better and the 512mb of RAM just plain sucks but other than that it's a pretty solid tablet. If the Nexus 7 was actually 7.9 or 8 inches I would be much more enthused and probably wouldn't have the Mini or it wouldn't get used much.

If Samsung put the new Nexus 7 screen in the Note 8 it would be a great device in my opinion. I dont have experience with Touchwiz so I can't factor that in as compared to plain Android.

8"great screen - hell, Samsung pumps out so many electronics maybe they can beat Apple to the punch!

I am holding out to see what the Retina-mini offers when or IF it is released. If Samsung came out with the tablet described above, I'd probably scrap my wait for the mini.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

It's kind of annoying.

nexus-7-1-15.jpg

I find the Nexus very comfortable to hold in one hand but I also don't have any problems holding the Mini one-handed (I'm only 5'11" but have decent sized hands--can sometimes palm a basketball).

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

It's kind of annoying.

nexus-7-1-15.jpg

In post #378, you said you did not mind the bezel and the way it felt in your hand. Are you holding it differently now?

You are in for a great ride. Of course the tablet needs to meet your approval before you can really have fun with Android which would be secondary.. I do not root but you can have another launcher, themes, create gestures for actions, use dash clock, etc. etc.

I do not know how much you read or play games. Try doing some of that and see how you feel about the bezel and holding it.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California

It's kind of annoying.

nexus-7-1-15.jpg
Yes, it's a characteristic of small tablets.

You may have noticed in my prior posts, one of the biggest complaints I have with my iPad mini is the poor ergonomics. It's 130mm wide which is very uncomfortable to hold one handed. And I have large hands. It's also got a sharp angle to the aluminum sides that require a case to avoid them.

My original Nexus 7 at 120mm wide, thicker and with nicely rounded edges was the best. My new Nexus 7.2 is 114mm wide, but has an annoying sharp angle edge around the perimeter instead of the nicely rounded sides of its predecessor.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
First impression of the Nexus 7 is very good.

The bezels are really not that big of a deal in person. I love the way the device feels in the hand.

Power button is sort of hard to push though. Am I the only one? It's like the device curves too soon so it's hard to get a feel for the button... or something.

Agree with everything you say. The bezels aren't a huge deal, but it's still just a small annoyance.

Also, the power button is definitely annoying to push.

Have you had any issues with a weak Wi-Fi signal?

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Anybody else have their Nexus 7 randomly reboot on them? Mine does a force restart at least once a day.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
More rumors that the next iPad Mini will be a spec bump and lack retina display: http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/31/apple-has-a6-based-ipad-mini-without-retina-display-in-the-works/

Maybe there's a slim chance that this is outdated information? Maybe there's an even slimmer chance that this will launch alongside an iPad Mini w/ Retina Display (how much will that be, then)?

I don't know. But once again, "ugh, Apple." Apple doesn't make it easy.

Makes me feel better about my N7 purchase.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Here's another issue, and I'm fairly certain this is a Chrome app issue but as I'm using it on my N7 I'll ask here. When viewing threads here in MR, text is showing up in varying sizes within posts in the same thread. I'm sure I'm not explaining it well so I'll include a screenshot. Any idea why it's doing this?

This is a known bug in chrome which annoyingly didn't used to be there. (I have the 2012 Nexus 7)

It drives me crazy. I've reported it to the chromium issues site and they claim they are working on it but every time I check a chrome update the stupid resizing issue is still there. My suggestion is to switch to mobile view for macrumors forums. Or you can use another browser for forums (all the others are based on the old aosp browser and render text differently than chrome).

In settings there is an option to report an issue for chrome for android. Please report this as google is probably really tired of hearing from me :eek:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

It's kind of annoying.

nexus-7-1-15.jpg

Thanks for mentioning that. It was one of my concerns with smaller tablets like this one and the Mini. For me it's enough to forget about both of them if I can't hold them comfortably in portrait.

I hope the new iPad 5 doesn't make the side bezels too thin also.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
The one complaint I have with my Nexus 7 is the aux out is super low. It was the same with my N4. It's annoying. My iPhone is like 2x louder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.