Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Exactly! I mean, it's not like the iPad mini has a huge top and bottom bezel when compared to the ones on its sides.

Oh, wait.

Yes, but they are still too big. I haven't seen any complaints about the Mini's top and bottom bezels being too small yet they are about 3 mm larger on the Nexus 7, with a significantly smaller display.

It certainly not a deal breaker (unless you have very specific purse/pocket size limitations ;)), but it does IMO, make the device feel tall and skinny and a bit larger than it should be. Again, just my opinion though.

Otherwise, I'm really impressed with the improvements made over last years model. Can't wait for an LTE model.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
A few tidbits.

Some folks try to compare it to a larger retina iPad. C'mon man! If you want the larger size and added weight and the added cost, well ...

I guess for the form factor and closer cost then look at the SGT3 but look at those specs. You get some bloatware added and touchwiz which you can bypass easy enough I guess.

Compare it to the 1st gen Nexus is my recommendation.

I swear this 2nd gen is even getting faster. Maybe the processor needed to warm up? :)

Glad those wanting one are finding it. Remember that tomorrow was the release date and I am sure store stock in areas will catch up.

Issues so far? Not yet for what I tried and I see more very high ratings by users than lower ones. Always a chance for a bad one or a batch but since everywhere I checked user reviews it looks mostly like smooth sailing.

I am using Dolphin browser in full screen mode dropping the address bar for more screen real estate.

Latest version of chrome hides the address/tab bar as well now. Update it in the play store. My favorite browser is still the old android stock browser though.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
It certainly not a deal breaker (unless you have very specific purse/pocket size limitations ;)), but it does IMO, make the device feel tall and skinny and a bit larger than it should be. Again, just my opinion though.
I absolutely agree that it would have been better to trim the top and bottom bezels - I'd have been happy to have a slightly thicker N7 if it meant a shorter one.

I just think the "ZOMG THE BEZEL!!!!" comments are a bit excessive. Yes, it's bigger than the iPad's. But it's not like you can't see the display because of the bezels. And in landscape mode, they actually do help. Not that I prefer them that large, but there are benefits.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I am use to the iPad Mini and the new Nexus is the same height so no problem with its form factor. The screen on the Mini yes is larger prompting why the Nexus needs to be this height and why the large bezel but I am over the latter already.

Like I said, grab it if you are on the fence and decide later. So much to like, very little to dislike and I guess the slot card would be an issue for some more than the bezel.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
It may be larger to make room for electronics and sufficient battery storage. Making it smaller may take away from some of its capabilities. All assumptions, of course, but safe to assume all internal real estate was used.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Sold my iPad mini 64gug and picked up two nexus 7s and love it! Screen so much better and the amount I can do with it is unreal. Well worth the price.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I for one like the large bezels. Makes for easy holding while watching video or doing anything in landscape.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I absolutely agree that it would have been better to trim the top and bottom bezels - I'd have been happy to have a slightly thicker N7 if it meant a shorter one.

I just think the "ZOMG THE BEZEL!!!!" comments are a bit excessive. Yes, it's bigger than the iPad's. But it's not like you can't see the display because of the bezels. And in landscape mode, they actually do help. Not that I prefer them that large, but there are benefits.

There is a very good explanation for the large bezels. The very loud stereo speakers.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
There is a very good explanation for the large bezels. The very loud stereo speakers.

Large upper and lower bezels are for holding the tablet in landscape mode without dealing with accidental input via palm or thumbs. Nothing more.

From Google and Asus:
On the front, the bezels surrounding the display are noticeably narrower -- ASUS shaved off about 2.75mm on each side -- but on the top and bottom they're as wide as they ever were. According to the two companies, the idea is to ensure most users will have a place to hold the Nexus while using it in landscape mode (this is especially handy for games, we've noticed). Since those bezels have remained the same size even as the tablet has gotten narrower, the front looks a little awkward proportionally speaking, given the screen's 16:10 aspect ratio.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
I posted this is another thread in response to another forums members review:

I just picked up a 32GB N7 today as well. My son has completely taken over the Imini so I decided to give it a shot... the N7 solidifies how much I enjoy android as a platform over iOS.

I have to agree with you on the screen size. My main purpose for a tablet is web surfing and movie watching during travels. While I enjoy the portability of the N7, the experience is not the same for my intended purposes. Like you, the placement of the stereo speakers make it, truly stereo.

The build quality feels great, aside from the light bleed that I have on the screen. I don't have this issue on my mini. I also find it incredibly slippery as I have to grip it tightly if want to hold it without supporting the bottom with my pinkies.

I know this is just a matter of familiarity, but I've gotten used to the menu button on my S4, I find myself missing it on the N7.

I have 15 days to decide if I want to keep it. Hopefully we'll get some more leaks on the Galaxy note 8 v3, as the Tab 3.0 was a huge disappointment in the performance category.

Edit: One thing I noticed is that N7 does not have the amplitude to drive my Sennheisers to the same level as my S4 or Mini (I can push the volume on the mini without distortion).

I did some side by side comparisons using streaming services such as netflix and Vudu. It seems the N7 exposes more detail, but I am not sure if this is due to lack of contrast as color saturation is definitely better on the mini. The N7 also has serious posterization in high contrast scenes.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I'm really happy about this. For gaming and videos and whatnot, it should be loud. Dual speakers for the win.

Mine is coming tomorrow. I cannot wait.

I believe you'll be very impressed with your new Nexus 7.2, ASUS has created a very good tablet with excellent build quality and outstanding performance.

The pure Android experience with version 4.3 is a significant improvement over 4.1.x. Of the various iPads & tablets I have, this Nexus 7.2 is most definitely my favorite.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
My 32gb shipped from the Google Play Store last night. Should be here Thursday. Loved my original 16gb Nexus 7, can't wait to get the new one.

jamojamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2010
My 32gb shipped from the Google Play Store last night. Should be here Thursday. Loved my original 16gb Nexus 7, can't wait to get the new one.

I am very interested in your opinion on the benefits of going from a gen 1 Nexus 7 to the new generation. I have a gen 1 32Gb that I like but I am on the fence about upgrading to the new gen or wait for an iPad mini with Retina.

I use it as a reader mostly but do watch the occasional movie and listen to the radio or music on it with a bluetooth speaker.

I don't watch a ton of movies on it so the screen upgrade doesn't scream to me to upgrade.

Please post your impressions and comparisons if you get a chance!

Thanks

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I am very interested in your opinion on the benefits of going from a gen 1 Nexus 7 to the new generation. I have a gen 1 32Gb that I like but I am on the fence about upgrading to the new gen or wait for an iPad mini with Retina.

I use it as a reader mostly but do watch the occasional movie and listen to the radio or music on it with a bluetooth speaker.

I don't watch a ton of movies on it so the screen upgrade doesn't scream to me to upgrade.

Please post your impressions and comparisons if you get a chance!

Thanks

If you're fine with the 1st gen there really isn't much of a reason to upgrade. 4.3 brings some much needed performance improvements to the 1st gen as well so you might be able to stick with it a while longer.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
The larger bezel of the new N7 may be responsible for the better sound. I have a couple Bose Wave radios and they use a long tuned port to improve sound quality and volume. Asus could have placed larger speaker assemblies in the bezel for just that reason. We'll see when the first tear downs are released.

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I believe you'll be very impressed with your new Nexus 7.2, ASUS has created a very good tablet with excellent build quality and outstanding performance.

The pure Android experience with version 4.3 is a significant improvement over 4.1.x. Of the various iPads & tablets I have, this Nexus 7.2 is most definitely my favorite.

I'll be coming from an iPad 3 -- there were things I loved and hated about owning it. I'm excited to finally give the Android-tablet experience a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.