Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Man does Riptide GP2 totally rip on this new Nexus.

It is so easy and comfortable to hold it in landscape and just let it fly. Well that is another $2.99 I spent last night. Let's see how I feel down the road using this to play games versus the iPad Mini.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Sorry, just replying to this to try out my pc usb keyboard with the OTG cable I got with the Original Nexus 7.

It seems to be working well.

It was a keyboard post, so I don't feel too bad. :)

Lol I won't hold it against you because maybe it can bring my question back to light. Why aren't these keys popping up?

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

Semi glad to hear, now I don't feel bad for not rushing out to grab one. I always buy the LTE enabled iPads, and decide later if I want to use the LTE or not. It's better than not having the option at all. Any idea when they will hit store shelves?

On a side note, Apple desperately needs to produce a retina Mini. I understand their margins are lower, and they would rather sell the full sized iPad. But I want a more portable iPad that is just as powerful as the full sized version.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
Man does Riptide GP2 totally rip on this new Nexus.

It is so easy and comfortable to hold it in landscape and just let it fly. Well that is another $2.99 I spent last night. Let's see how I feel down the road using this to play games versus the iPad Mini.

Waiting for your feedback. I bought mini mainly for gaming and love it. However, if gaming is great on the new nexus 7, i will gladly buy it. Plus the high resolution screen will be great for reading/browsing.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Semi glad to hear, now I don't feel bad for not rushing out to grab one. I always buy the LTE enabled iPads, and decide later if I want to use the LTE or not. It's better than not having the option at all. Any idea when they will hit store shelves?

No specific date yet but I believe they stated a few weeks out at the launch announcement.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I have the N7 and it sounds horrible along with a screen that broke far to easy from a drop of about 3-4 feet while in its case.
How about the colors and display? In my opinion the iPad is a more beautiful display as far as colors.
Did the new software and hardware make it leap ahead in performance/smoothness?
I do not have the iPad but I have played with them numerous times as we all have friends that own them and Apple stores to demo them.
The bottom line is price and availability for some people.

I compare the Nexus 7 as if it is the Kia and the Apple iPad is the German made car. Yes the Kia/Hyundai or even the Toyota and Honda will get you to work... but the German car is a joy to drive... the others are slow, boring, and do not want to stop when needed.
I have had top non German cars and trucks, and yes some were ok. The Subaru and Honda I owned were crap.
I now have a car actually made in Germany and it has been just as reliable as the others but FAR more enjoyable to drive.
It seems to me that Ford is trying to provide both performance, economy and feel to us.

It is different in that the Apple products VS others are closed= stability, SAFER and less problematic. Of course price charged for the full size iPad seems unreasonable to me, along with the monthly cellular fees.

The N7 is not horrible like the Kindle Fire HD and others, but it is not nearly as good as the Apple product.
Apple in my opinion does need a kick in the as* though to get some focus and move forward though, they seem to be sitting back instead of moving forward.
I do not understand why Apple does not offer choices in phone size, STILL. How long have other companies given us a choice in screen size?
There are good and bad of both Apple and Android.
We choose at the time of purchase.
If the iPad where less costly to buy I do not think the other companies would even be talked about.
They are all made in China, it seems that the USA headquartered companies just are greedy, which is their right. What I mean is the chinese labor cost nothing compared to making them in the USA but we still pay made in the USA prices seemingly.
For those that know of Assos cycling kit they charge a outrageous price for bibs, jerseys etc. when they were made in Switzerland the price seemed logical and reasonable but the product is not made there now...so why has the price not dropped in unison with the switch in manufacturing and all that goes with it?

Should Apple really be so concerned about how thick, or light the phone is?
To some people maybe, but I would rather have a larger screen with a little more thickness and weight to make it perform longer and be more durable vs degrading the end product in the name of weight and aesthetics.

What did we do before cell phones and tablets?
Who is John Galt?

Sorry I could not help the attempt to enlighten.

So to sum it up I think the Google Nexus 7 is a ok purchase for the price, I see it continuing to improve. But I am disappointed that Apple is not moving forward with R&D and production like I hope they would. The iPad Wi-Fi and over all performance is far better, faster and smoother, although the iPad Mini should have a higher resolution screen considering the price and where it is manufactured, in my opinion.
These are my thoughts which do not jibe with all of you.

The new nexus 7 has a much better display with both better colors, view angles, and contrast than both the first nexus 7 and the iPad. There new nexus 7 is far ahead of the iPad mini in just about every aspect. The DAC is much better on the new one as well. Better than the cirrus logic one in the host and much better than the first generation nexus 7.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Actually, yes it does. It is nothing more than a white led, but it does have one. Developers will have fun with it. Why Asus couldn't bother with a 1 cent multicolor led, I don't know?

It does have multi colors. Just use light flow.

Edit: there's a slight possibility that I lied lol I only see white when using the testing tool in light flow. There is a benefit to using light flow though. It makes the led flash much faster.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
My local Walmart has about 10, I cannot speak about which GB though.

So these are showing up so far at Amazon, Google, Best Buy, and Staples as well that I know of but probably sell quickly at retail stores. I know Gamestop is awaiting a Monday shipment by me and Office Max I think will be carrying them as well. And the Chromecast was gone in an hour at my Best Buy.

Just keep your eyes peeled since many folks that do not browse forums think availability is suppose to be Tuesday for the Nexus so you can jump over them perhaps.

Back to mine now during prime time. TTY tomorrow! :)

mtnbikerva1

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2007
The new nexus 7 has a much better display with both better colors, view angles, and contrast than both the first nexus 7 and the iPad. There new nexus 7 is far ahead of the iPad mini in just about every aspect. The DAC is much better on the new one as well. Better than the cirrus logic one in the host and much better than the first generation nexus 7.
Do you remember where you got the info. on the:
DAC?
How about the quality of colors the screen allows?

Do you know if the screen is a lot less easy to break?
Sound Quality and level?
Thank you.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Waiting for your feedback. I bought mini mainly for gaming and love it. However, if gaming is great on the new nexus 7, i will gladly buy it. Plus the high resolution screen will be great for reading/browsing.

Here is where I got the inclination to try Riptide GP2:

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/google-nexus-7-16gb/4505-3126_7-35760689-2.html

So far I tried Temple Run, Subway Surfers, and Jetpack Joyride as well. Smooth as silk and the icing is the size and weight of this device for gaming. Move over iPad Mini, you got competition.

Anonemous

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
I have the N7 and it sounds horrible along with a screen that broke far to easy from a drop of about 3-4 feet while in its case.
How about the colors and display? In my opinion the iPad is a more beautiful display as far as colors.
Did the new software and hardware make it leap ahead in performance/smoothness?
I do not have the iPad but I have played with them numerous times as we all have friends that own them and Apple stores to demo them.
The bottom line is price and availability for some people.

I compare the Nexus 7 as if it is the Kia and the Apple iPad is the German made car. Yes the Kia/Hyundai or even the Toyota and Honda will get you to work... but the German car is a joy to drive... the others are slow, boring, and do not want to stop when needed.
I have had top non German cars and trucks, and yes some were ok. The Subaru and Honda I owned were crap.
I now have a car actually made in Germany and it has been just as reliable as the others but FAR more enjoyable to drive.
It seems to me that Ford is trying to provide both performance, economy and feel to us.

It is different in that the Apple products VS others are closed= stability, SAFER and less problematic. Of course price charged for the full size iPad seems unreasonable to me, along with the monthly cellular fees.

The N7 is not horrible like the Kindle Fire HD and others, but it is not nearly as good as the Apple product.
Apple in my opinion does need a kick in the as* though to get some focus and move forward though, they seem to be sitting back instead of moving forward.
I do not understand why Apple does not offer choices in phone size, STILL. How long have other companies given us a choice in screen size?
There are good and bad of both Apple and Android.
We choose at the time of purchase.
If the iPad where less costly to buy I do not think the other companies would even be talked about.
They are all made in China, it seems that the USA headquartered companies just are greedy, which is their right. What I mean is the chinese labor cost nothing compared to making them in the USA but we still pay made in the USA prices seemingly.
For those that know of Assos cycling kit they charge a outrageous price for bibs, jerseys etc. when they were made in Switzerland the price seemed logical and reasonable but the product is not made there now...so why has the price not dropped in unison with the switch in manufacturing and all that goes with it?
I think that comparison is a little off.
Nexus 7 2012 release date was in July. iPad mini was in October. Apple devs had 3-4 months to review the Nexus product and determine what they could improve from Google / Asus.

The Nexus 7 2013 is nowhere near a cheap car example comparison of Kia vs German, it out classes the iPad mini by specs alone.. While the N7 2012 seems like a slow car, benchmark wise, the N7 2013 makes your comparison of a fast "German" car iPad being compared with an exotic like a Lotus or something in the $100k ranges. Again, Google had 1 year to improve it and 9 months to look at the mini.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
This sounds very suspicious, as though you've only dreamed you had a Nexus 7, and dropped it…

I do not have the iPad but I have played with them
Played with them, hardly makes one an expert …

Sorry I could not help the attempt to enlighten.
Enlighten? You've got to be kidding…

These are my thoughts which do not jibe with all of you.
Random negative thoughts which seem quite misplaced. It appears the intent was to spread baseless FUD.

----------

How about the quality of colors the screen allows?
Do you know if the screen is a lot less easy to break?
Sound Quality and level?
Thank you.

The display is quite beautiful on the new Nexus 7 I just picked up Friday.
Gorilla Glass is what it's equipped with, which is very strong and durable.
Sound quality with the new stereo speakers is excellent.

Here are the detailed specs:
http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_google_nexus_7_2-5600.php

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I was going to wait for the LTE version but I caved and bought a 32 gig version at Best Buy. Everything about the nexus 7 is superior to the ipad mini that I bought on day one( and later sold). My only niggle so far is the power button placement, I HATE it.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Reports of various screen issues in xda-devs forums. They include dead pixels, dust under screen and touch sensitivity. The last one involves the screen failing to register touches, often when dragging. To test, try dragging icons or files across the screen. Or use the drag-to-type feature.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
Reports of various screen issues in xda-devs forums. They include dead pixels, dust under screen and touch sensitivity. The last one involves the screen failing to register touches, often when dragging. To test, try dragging icons or files across the screen. Or use the drag-to-type feature.

I'm glad that I (as with every device so far) got a perfect screen. I always feel bad for those that don't. :(

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
I'm glad that I (as with every device so far) got a perfect screen. I always feel bad for those that don't. :(

Too early to tell how widespread the issues are. Also, the touch sensitivity problems might be software related.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint

Bought a 32gb at BB yesterday and mine is perfect. Not a single issue.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Bought my 32GB Nexus 7 yesterday at Best Buy. I haven't owned an Android device since my T-Mobile G1, couldn't wait on a retina iPad mini any longer so took the plunge. I'm VERY impressed so far for the price that I paid. The device's display is just gorgeous, and a joy to enjoy all my content on. Performance so far is very smooth, and multitasks like a champ. I may be missing some of the iOS exclusive tablet apps at the moment and whatnot, but hopefully I can take advantage of Android's ecosystem to get the idea of wanting an iPad mini out of my head.

Bottom line: This device is a real winner, at a solid price.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So Best Buy seems to be regularly in stock, huh?

This is good. Might swing by one next week and cave as well.

Yeah, even I picked one up yesterday to give it a try and I'll eat crow--it's a huge step forward from the original Nexus 7. This is the first Android tablet I've used that's in the same league as iPads and save for the display size (and that's based purely on my preference), puts the iPad Mini in its rear view. The display is crisp, clear and bright, the rear panel feels great to the touch, and overall the device feels far more premium vs. last years model.

I still don't like the screen ratio and 7" display size--the iPad Mini's dimensions still reign in my preferences. And the quality of apps for tablets, while getting better, still lags iOS. But because everything else is so well done, I'm fairly certain I'll be handing my Mini off to my son at Christmas and going with an LTE model when they are available.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I got a 32GB from my local best buy on Friday and it has no issues. I have found that XDA is usually the place you go to if you want to hear about every rare problem one guy is having with a device. Any problem with any device you can think of, someone has posted it on XDA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.