Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If any of the below story is true, it looks like I'm going to just pull the trigger on the Nexus 7.

A small part of me wants to stay with iOS in the tablet world, but when you consider things like the rumor below, and you remind yourself Apple cares so much more about profit than the consumer (I understand all companies are a busines and need to make money, but Apple takes it to another level; often intentionally withholding updates/upgrades to "save" for the next generation of upgraders) it just turns me off. Not to mention the shortcomings of iOS.

"An interesting whisper on the grapevine mentions that there has been internal debate in Apple on whether the company should bring Retina displays on the iPad mini as that would allegedly eat into regular iPad sales."

http://www.phonearena.com/news/New-...debating-Retina-display-for-iPad-mini_id45664

I'm happy to see Nexus 7 reviews say that there are more and more tablet-optimized apps for Android now that their tablet arena is growing. It's also relieving to read that even blown up apps don't look or feel bad on a 7" screen.

I think the next chance I get to purchase a Nexus 7, I'm going for it. C'mon Best Buy...

EDIT: Also just read this: "Apple iPad Market Share at all time low" http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPad-market-share-at-all-time-low_id45778 Interesting.

Didn't apple release the iPod mini which cannibalized iPods and then the nano which replaced the mini (which was the most popular iPod at the time)? I'm sure Apple would rather have the mini cannibalizing the full-size iPad versus people buying a competitor's product. And anyway the mini is already eating into full size iPad sales so that train has left the station.

Anonemous

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Didn't apple release the iPod mini which cannibalized iPods and then the nano which replaced the mini (which was the most popular iPod at the time)? I'm sure Apple would rather have the mini cannibalizing the full-size iPad versus people buying a competitor's product. And anyway the mini is already eating into full size iPad sales so that train has left the station.

In Apple's perfect world, they want the prices to stay the same each year and don't fluctuate. The same range for each new iPhone and iPad each year, followed by the iPods and more. It's come to the point that their overcharging on devices is starting to catch up on them, people are catching on, the "attractiveness" of iOS is losing its polish, their main base now remains to loyal supporters of the company.

A buyer with a budget could easily choose a N7 over an iPad mini after making an informed decision. Google isn't making much of a profit from hardware sales, which seems to indicate they are more interested in getting a product out there than solely making profits on them alone (which apple is doing).

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
I had an iPad Mini but returned it within the 14 day window; just got my hands on the new Nexus 7 from Best Buy so I'll post an update on whether or not I end up keeping it! So far, so good though. The price point is definitely appealing (a reason why I returned the iPad Mini was due to the price).

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Looks like the demand for the Nexus 7.2 is very strong. They're already selling out at some of the retailers.

Now I'm really glad I made time to buy mine from Best Buy on Friday.

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7-2013-out-of-stock-staples-amazon-249742/

Well considering we don't know how many each retailer had yet, its hard to say demand is strong.

The Nexus 4 sold out in minutes and had all sorts of ordering problems. Yet it took over half a year to get just 3 million total sales. I'm not saying there isn't strong demand for the Nexus 7, I am saying we don't have enough information yet to say there is.

TheRealCBONE

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
I got a 32GB from my local best buy on Friday and it has no issues. I have found that XDA is usually the place you go to if you want to hear about every rare problem one guy is having with a device. Any problem with any device you can think of, someone has posted it on XDA.

Pretty much. That dude that's had to return every gadget he's ever bought 7 or 8 times (backlight bleed on everything, the only 5 iPads on the Eastern seaboard with defective ports, benches 80% of everyone elses, etc.) always posts there.

Oddly so does that dude who dunked his phone in bleach for a week with no issues and the guy who didn't have any problems after flashing the jankiest, untested ROM ever.

pbateman

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
I should be getting my N7 today form Amazon, I will be selling my 1st Gen N7 once I do, and if it is anything like the first gen It should be great, can't wait!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I should be getting my N7 today form Amazon, I will be selling my 1st Gen N7 once I do, and if it is anything like the first gen It should be great, can't wait!

Are you talking about the 16 or 32 GB version?

Mine is coming tomorrow, also from Amazon. 32GB version.

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Demand is pretty good. Retailers (particularly Best Buy) are falling over themselves to sell them so much that they broke the street date and started selling them on Friday Saturday.

I picked mine up on Sunday at a Best Buy. The closest Staples did not have any 32GB models left and the closest Best Buy that was selling them were down to 5 32GB models.

I also own the previous 32GB Nexus 7 (I cracked the screen on it 3 weeks ago). The current one is an improvement in terms of looks and feel, IMO.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Demand is pretty good. Retailers (particularly Best Buy) are falling over themselves to sell them so much that they broke the street date and started selling them on Friday Saturday.

I picked mine up on Sunday at a Best Buy. The closest Staples did not have any 32GB models left and the closest Best Buy that was selling them were down to 5 32GB models.

I also own the previous 32GB Nexus 7 (I cracked the screen on it 3 weeks ago). The current one is an improvement in terms of looks and feel, IMO.

which is crazy b.c my local best buys all have them in stock

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Pretty much. That dude that's had to return every gadget he's ever bought 7 or 8 times (backlight bleed on everything, the only 5 iPads on the Eastern seaboard with defective ports, benches 80% of everyone elses, etc.) always posts there.

That sounds just like that "Couch" guy. lol :D Basically, there are some people who make it their goal to try their hardest to find problems even in the absence of any. No matter what device it is, no matter how good it is, they will find an issue with it, and they will make sure the world knows they found one.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
A few tidbits.

Some folks try to compare it to a larger retina iPad. C'mon man! If you want the larger size and added weight and the added cost, well ...

I guess for the form factor and closer cost then look at the SGT3 but look at those specs. You get some bloatware added and touchwiz which you can bypass easy enough I guess.

Compare it to the 1st gen Nexus is my recommendation.

I swear this 2nd gen is even getting faster. Maybe the processor needed to warm up? :)

Glad those wanting one are finding it. Remember that tomorrow was the release date and I am sure store stock in areas will catch up.

Issues so far? Not yet for what I tried and I see more very high ratings by users than lower ones. Always a chance for a bad one or a batch but since everywhere I checked user reviews it looks mostly like smooth sailing.

I am using Dolphin browser in full screen mode dropping the address bar for more screen real estate.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/29/nexus-7-review-2013/
Since ASUS has made a considerable effort to slim down the new Nexus, we suppose it shouldn't come as much of a surprise to find that the battery is also smaller: it's been shrunk from 4,325mAh to 3,950. This was worrying at first, especially given the extra pixels that need to be lit up. In normal use, we discovered that the device could easily last us at least a day and a half, and we could certainly push it longer by being more conscious about preserving battery life. Gaming and multimedia were unfortunately different stories: we drained the battery nearly 30 percent in just one hour of playing graphically intense games like Riptide. Our video rundown test, which consists of a 1080p movie playing back on an endless loop with the display on 50 percent brightness, yielded a life of seven hours and 15 minutes, which was much poorer than last year's Nexus 7. That tablet lasted nine hours and 49 minutes in the same test.

(Update: many of our commenters have rightly pointed out that the new Nexus 7 has a much brighter display, which may lead to faster battery drain when it's set at the same percentage instead of a nit-for-nit comparison.)

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
Hopefully posters here can weigh in on the battery - fingers crossed it just was the brightness being set too high.

I do have a question about Flipboard. It's very slow to load on my original N7 and will lag on flipping after a bit of use, which leads me to not want to use the app much. :( How does the performance on the new N7 compare? I'm hoping it's more iPad-like...

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007

You don't understand marketing very well. If there was a true "street date" like an Apple product, it would not be broken. As others have said without numbers, it's only marketing. The two Best Buys close to me only got 10 32gb models each. I'm waiting for a LTE model. Did play with one at BB, the screen is very nice, details in watching 1080P video on Youtube is amazing,speakers sound pretty good too.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Hopefully posters here can weigh in on the battery - fingers crossed it just was the brightness being set too high.

I do have a question about Flipboard. It's very slow to load on my original N7 and will lag on flipping after a bit of use, which leads me to not want to use the app much. :( How does the performance on the new N7 compare? I'm hoping it's more iPad-like...

I've been using flip board for a few days on the new nexus 7 and its working great. No lag on this app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.