Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I preordered mine on Best Buy's website last night and it says "Preparing Order" now. My local Best Buy has them in stock and I cannot cancel the online order anymore. Dang it! I could have had it today. Now I have to wait till next week. Ugh!

You want it today? No problem, just return the one you preordered when you get it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Put it side by side with the original and the new one is taller but not as wide. The weight difference is pretty neglible it is there obviously but I do notice a difference in thickness when held. I can understand the bezel getting its share of comments though which is understandable. Point taken with regard to the other smallish tablets on the market so folks need to consider that.

I need to go through my normal procedures when I get a new device. So far so good. I want to watch some video, do some reading, play some quick games, etc.

When I checked Best Buy and saw them in stock, it took less than a half hour to get there and buy it and get home. What a nice surprise for my day off from work.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Went to the Play Store and check apps on the device and many needed to be updated so put that on your to do list if you have not gotten to it.

Browsed some of my books and briefly reading pages was great. I do not see any problem with that. PDF's might be a different story but I personally have little need.
I want to check out some magazines next.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
OMG, UPS just brought my chromecast!!!

I saw your location. I will be right over if you give me directions. :)

Enjoy. I have an Xbox and a bluray player so I did not order it but I will probably cave down the road considering the price.

Here are some reviews:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Chromec...=9071056&st=Chrome cast&cp=1&lp=1#tab=reviews
----------

Don't know if y'all heard, but some Best Buys are selling it early. Happy hunting. Post impressions!

That's where I got it. Staples and Amazon has it as well.

Last edited:

firstapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
I will be putting mine through its paces tonight. Got it charging now, but while setting it up I definitely was able to get a good glimpse of how gorgeous the screen is. I think this is just the competition Apple needs in order to get their butts in gear to offer a retina iPad mini as soon as possible.

Love the form factor (except I wouldn't hate if it was just an inch shorter, but the width is right on)
Love the screen
Have noticed 0 lag so far

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I really don't mind the slightly increased height for a slightly decreased width to help with one handed holding.

Also don't mind the bezel as much if it means the device got thinner and lighter (again, all good for holding) while still gaining 10 hours of browsing.

Suddenly, I'm okay with the bezel. Could they have increased the screen size, then? Eh, I suppose so, but would we still get 10 hours of batt life? Don't forget, it's pushing a lot of pixels now.

Also, I've been reading and hearing that in person, you really forget about the bezel because the screen is so gorgeous and the device is so sleek and nice to hold.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
So for those still on the fence, Staples.com currently has a $30 off ALL tablets (including the new Nexus 7)! I already did an online purchase with store pickup at Best Buy and will be asking for a price match on my 32GB Nex7. If not, I will be walking next door to Staples and buying it.

That means after taxes, the 32gb will only cost me $265. Buy the 16GB version and you are at the magic $199 price point.

Offer valid until 28 July. Enjoy. :D

Link: http://www.staples.com/coupons#c4

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I already have an iPad Mini but I couldn't resist trying one out so I ordered one online from Best Buy. I'm going to get it after work if it's ready for pickup by then. I've never really hated the screen on the Mini. Will the new Nexus 7 screen make me hate my Mini?

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
My Nexus 7 that I pre-ordered from best buy just shipped today. I'm currently out of town so it works out great.

tom29786

macrumors member
I most generally do not get involved in these discussions of Nexus vs Apple, but after reading these posts I felt compelled to do so. I have the first Nexus 32 gb that came out last year and it has been a solid performer, and I knew nothing about android, but was able to learn. It did everything I wanted it to do and never broke down. My biggest complaint was the speakers, they did not seem loud enough, so I used ear buds or small portable speakers and all was well. The bezel that everyone is hammering on is larger than maybe you would like it to be, but it does give you a good grip and it also houses the antenna. Did I mention that I am 69 years old and wear hearing aids?

Today I went to Best Buy and purchased the next generation Nexus, bought it home and charged it. Turned it on later, answered a few questions, put in the password for wifi it updated, entered my account, it transferred everything over from my old one to the new one, a home run from Google. The screen is simply awesome!! So far no complaints, it is as fast as any Ipad that I have used.

I would suspect some who are hammering this tablet have never had one in their hands or used one, I have used both and have purchased both.

Presently I own 2, 4s iphones, one for me and one for my wife, 2 mac mini's a 2011 and a 2012, a 13 inch Mac Book Pro, 4th generation ipod touch, 5th generation ipod touch and 2 airport extremes. I do like Apple products, I left Pc's about 8 years ago.

So maybe have an open mind, that is why there are many brands of cars sold.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
So for those still on the fence, Staples.com currently has a $30 off ALL tablets (including the new Nexus 7)! I already did an online purchase with store pickup at Best Buy and will be asking for a price match on my 32GB Nex7. If not, I will be walking next door to Staples and buying it.

That means after taxes, the 32gb will only cost me $265. Buy the 16GB version and you are at the magic $199 price point.

Offer valid until 28 July. Enjoy. :D

Link: http://www.staples.com/coupons#c4

"Out of stock" on their website when you try to add to cart.

Are Staples stores selling early like some BB's? Cause if not, this offer doesn't help those that want the new Nexus 7. :(

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Dang it. All of my local BBY's are saying they haven't been stocked yet. One store said they'll be out tomorrow. Gonna try Staples.

Has anyone checked Walmart?

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Just picked up a 32gb one. One of the BBY store's I called showed they had stock online. Went into the store and they had them. Apparently today is the "street date". That's what the associate told me.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I really don't mind the slightly increased height for a slightly decreased width to help with one handed holding.

Also don't mind the bezel as much if it means the device got thinner and lighter (again, all good for holding) while still gaining 10 hours of browsing.

Suddenly, I'm okay with the bezel. Could they have increased the screen size, then? Eh, I suppose so, but would we still get 10 hours of batt life? Don't forget, it's pushing a lot of pixels now.

Also, I've been reading and hearing that in person, you really forget about the bezel because the screen is so gorgeous and the device is so sleek and nice to hold.

I will attest to it being sleek and nice to hold.

Pictured here in the review shows the difference between the two to some extent:

http://reviews.cnet.com/google-nexus-7/

I do not have large hands, I can palm a basketball but barely.

Best Buy expected a shipment of the chromecast today and said to try tonight. I could not order it on the website though. Since the store is so close, I will drop by later.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
Well got both the Chrome cast and the new Nex7. Chrome cast is easy to set up, no cords hanging out the back since my TVs use both HDMI and USB ports. Very tidy arrangement. You can play movies from the Play Store, YouTube and Netflix without issue (even with your phone or tablet off-sleep mode, which is nice for battery saving purposes.) Appears to be limited to 720p though.

The new Nex7 is better than the original. The whole NAND memory issue has been fixed for a while. There is no slight screen separation like first gen models that first came out had. Asus has taken their time with this model and it shows. Very pleased with it so far. Def speed increase and screen is beautiful!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well got both the Chrome cast and the new Nex7. Chrome cast is easy to set up, no cords hanging out the back since my TVs use both HDMI and USB ports. Very tidy arrangement. You can play movies from the Play Store, YouTube and Netflix without issue (even with your phone or tablet off-sleep mode, which is nice for battery saving purposes.) Appears to be limited to 720p though.

The new Nex7 is better than the original. The whole NAND memory issue has been fixed for a while. There is no slight screen separation like first gen models that first came out had. Asus has taken their time with this model and it shows. Very pleased with it so far. Def speed increase and screen is beautiful!

I know this is the Nexus 7 thread but would you mind testing something out that's being debated in the Chromecast vs. Apple TV poll/thread?

Can you test if the Chromecast can be controlled by a device NOT on the same wifi network as the Chromecast, say your Android phone over cellular?

supahsain

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
I know this is the Nexus 7 thread but would you mind testing something out that's being debated in the Chromecast vs. Apple TV poll/thread?

Can you test if the Chromecast can be controlled by a device NOT on the same wifi network as the Chromecast, say your Android phone over cellular?
No you can not. Needs to be on the same network.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
No you can not. Needs to be on the same network.

You've tried this yourself?

I only ask because a few members here have insisted that this in fact possible before actually handling the device--I personally didn't think it was and couldn't see how it would be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.