Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
I've used it for a week and while the high resolution display is bright and crisp, it doesn't make up for the significant loss of on screen real estate--add in the on screen menu buttons and I just find it too small and narrow.

There a few other issues that are contributing to my decision to stay with the Mini but this is by far the deal breaker for me.

It's ironic that fans of the mini say this, because fans of Android flagship phones like the One and S3, S4, and Note2 give this exact reason regarding why they dislike the iPhone. ;)

By the way, I prefer the size of the Mini as well over the Nexus 7, but the OS and screen resolution are deal breakers for me.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
It's ironic that fans of the mini say this, because fans of Android flagship phones like the One and S3, S4, and Note2 give this exact reason regarding why they dislike the iPhone. ;)

By the way, I prefer the size of the Mini as well over the Nexus 7, but the OS and screen resolution are deal breakers for me.
I agree that it's funny that people use the same reason in a different form factor. I also think it heavily has to do with usage patterns for the device. For myself I use my phone mainly for music and texting. So I don't mind the smaller 4S. If I didn't have a tablet and also used my phone for web browsing I would probably need one of the larger screened phones.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

I've pointed this out numerous times in the past. Certain Apple fanatics (not saying tbargys is one) know exactly what benefits are had with larger screen devices. They recognize the advantages all the time with the iPad and now with the iPad Mini.

Heck, even Apple recognizes. And, even they argue that the iPad Mini is usable with one hand (a constant talking point against larger screens). Usable, mind you. Not just holdable:

In the official iPad Mini video, Ive explicitly says "...you can still pick it up and easily use it with one hand..." Easily. Earlier in the video, they make the distinction that you can hold it with one hand, but at the 2:10 mark, they're clearly talking about using it with one hand.

Video is here: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/overview/#video-ipad-mini-features)

Going by that reasoning, any device can be used one handed, yet according to their iPhone 5 campaign, one of the main talking points is that anything larger than a 4" smartphone is unusable with one hand.

So either the iPad Mini can be used one handed (like it says in the video) and therefore so can other smaller smartphones, or nothing above the iPhone 5 screen size (like it says in the iPhone campaigns) can be used one handed in which case the iPad Mini video is a lie.

Apple marketing for the win. :rolleyes:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Well, it would be ironic if you heard me complain that Android flagship devices were too large, but as a present user of an HTC One and previously a Note II, you won't hear me saying such a thing. ;)

For me personally, it all relates to how I prefer to use each device. In a phone, I like the 16:9 or 16:10 size ratio as it's more conducive to one handed use. I don't generally browse the web or read books/documents on my phone so I like the narrow profile. Conversely, on a tablet, I prefer browsing the web or reading and considering much of the reading I do would otherwise be on traditional sized paper (books/documents), the added width of a 4:3 ratio display is more important. There is no doubt that the Nexus 7's display provides sharper detail--the problem is that benefit is lost when either the image is now significantly smaller or all together missing from the screen.

I also like having access to both ecosystems--feel like I'm duplicating what's available to me by using only one or the other. The fact that my entire family uses iOS also provides some incentive to keep one iOS device--just traded Messages with my daughter before having a Facetime chat with my wife and kids who are visiting family.

Regardless of my personal choice, the new Nexus 7 is a terrific device and would recommend anyone in the market for a small tablet give a it test drive. If anything I'm happy that it should light a fire under Apple's a$$ to step up their game with the next iteration of the Mini.

superstarmc

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
I just bought one for my daughter and was very impressed. Fast, great screen and much better than her kindle fire HD and it was only 229.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I turned some heads in my local Verizon store yesterday with the new Nexus 7. :)

I decided to pick up the Nokia QI charger they have trying it and working with the Nexus. I charged last night from 20% and it took 3 1/2 hours.

There may be cheaper alternatives on Amazon for QI charging and I will monitor since I have 14 days to return it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I turned some heads in my local Verizon store yesterday with the new Nexus 7. :)

I decided to pick up the Nokia QI charger they have trying it and working with the Nexus. I charged last night from 20% and it took 3 1/2 hours.

There may be cheaper alternatives on Amazon for QI charging and I will monitor since I have 14 days to return it.

verizon use to carry this one http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...UTF8&colid=I0B9MXPUPO0P&coliid=I1Z8EMSIGQD709
for $39.99 in store. Not sure if they still do though.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Can't wait for my replacement N7 to arrive. That way I can give the Android tablet experience a proper chance.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA

Memo:
Anything is better than the Kindle Fire HD. I should know I own one. :p
I bought it an the Nexus 7 at the same time last year, and opted to return the Fire HD after some consideration because I was looking to learn Android and felt the Kindle hid it completely.

That said, I thought the Fire HD was a fantastic media device - great sound, excellent screen, decent price, good media selection. The app availability was limited unless you wanted to jump through a few hoops, and there was almost no customization, but it was a good little tablet.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Due to the OS, useability (lagging), weight, bezel? Or all of the above? :)

OS, useability (lag) due to the OS. The Silk browser is a BAD joke. If you are lucky you will get the message."silk has stopped responding, please restart the application". That's their built in browser, LOL. Oh and on the 7" tablet the screen auto brightness is NOT supported. :p

----------

I bought it an the Nexus 7 at the same time last year, and opted to return the Fire HD after some consideration because I was looking to learn Android and felt the Kindle hid it completely.

That said, I thought the Fire HD was a fantastic media device - great sound, excellent screen, decent price, good media selection. The app availability was limited unless you wanted to jump through a few hoops, and there was almost no customization, but it was a good little tablet.

Yes if you are an Amazon whore like me (Prime) it's decent which is why I kept it. Needless to say I won't consider another Kindle Fire device unless Amazon does something radical with the device i.e. removes their disastrous OS and goes more mainstream. I also have a 1st gen Nexus 7 and it's a nice device but i'm totally hooked on the iPad. I'm planning on buying the iPad 5 and the iPad mini when it goes retina.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I went through 2 units, both had screen flicker issue. Ended up returning and will wait for the new Nsxus 10. I think N7 is a great tablet, but Asus has major QC issues with pretty much all of their Android tabs.

Assault

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2013
in the taint
I went through 2 units, both had screen flicker issue. Ended up returning and will wait for the new Nsxus 10. I think N7 is a great tablet, but Asus has major QC issues with pretty much all of their Android tabs.

Don't really think this is fair to say about just Asus. My N7 (2012 and 2013, both 32gb versions) were/are perfect. Every single iPhone and iPad I have owned had light bleed issues and my iPhone 4 had a volume button failure, while my iPhone 5 had "pre-installed" scratches, stains and software issues. By your criteria, I should say Apple has a QC issue and has for years. But, when you manufacture millions of devices, there are bound to be issues from time to time. This is why we have the right to return defective items.

Could Asus do better. Sure. So could Apple, Samsung, HTC, Motorola... you get the drift. ;)

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Don't really think this is fair to say about just Asus. My N7 (2012 and 2013, both 32gb versions) were/are perfect. Every single iPhone and iPad I have owned had light bleed issues and my iPhone 4 had a volume button failure, while my iPhone 5 had "pre-installed" scratches, stains and software issues. By your criteria, I should say Apple has a QC issue and has for years. But, when you manufacture millions of devices, there are bound to be issues from time to time. This is why we have the right to return defective items.

Could Asus do better. Sure. So could Apple, Samsung, HTC, Motorola... you get the drift. ;)

I'm an Android guy, love my Note 2, but I've never had issues with any ipads that I've previously owned. If my N7 had a light bleed issue I probably wouldn't care, it's not a deal breaker, but the flicker made it useless for reading books.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

That's a common problem with the N7 line. In most cases it turns out to be the display auto brightness is enabled and so the screen brightness changes intensity. I have seen that on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and N7. I manually set the brightness level and problem solved.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
That's a common problem with the N7 line. In most cases it turns out to be the display auto brightness is enabled and so the screen brightness changes intensity. I have seen that on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and N7. I manually set the brightness level and problem solved.

I tried that, but it didn't help.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
OS, useability (lag) due to the OS. The Silk browser is a BAD joke. If you are lucky you will get the message."silk has stopped responding, please restart the application". That's their built in browser, LOL. Oh and on the 7" tablet the screen auto brightness is NOT supported. :p

----------

Yes if you are an Amazon whore like me (Prime) it's decent which is why I kept it. Needless to say I won't consider another Kindle Fire device unless Amazon does something radical with the device i.e. removes their disastrous OS and goes more mainstream. I also have a 1st gen Nexus 7 and it's a nice device but i'm totally hooked on the iPad. I'm planning on buying the iPad 5 and the iPad mini when it goes retina.

I have the KFHD as well as the original and new Nexus 7. I am an Amazon whore as well and I like free shipping and viewing some of their catalog of TV and Movies for free as well.

I was able to install adw launcher without rooting so that makes the use of the KFHD that much better for me.

The Mini suffices for me as far as Apple goes. No new ipad5 or Mini for me.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have the KFHD as well as the original and new Nexus 7. I am an Amazon whore as well and I like free shipping and viewing some of their catalog of TV and Movies for free as well.

I was able to install adw launcher without rooting so that makes the use of the KFHD that much better for me.

The Mini suffices for me as far as Apple goes. No new ipad5 or Mini for me.

Yeah I did the same and I sideloaded the Dolphin web browser but the other niggles aside I just use my real android devices instead of the KF-HD. I use that just as a dedicated Amazon device and to watch movies and TV shows and of course the FAOTD. :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Nexus 7 replacement arriving tonight. Android-tablet experience round 2!

With the first [defective] Nexus 7, I said "the Android tablet experience just doesn't feel as buttoned up as the Android smartphone experience." It turns out, a lot of that was due to touchscreen issues.

Let's see how it goes this time.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I was considering this tablet top replace my Nexus 10 but news today suggest there will be no factory images available, so that breaks my interest.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Nexus 7 replacement arriving tonight. Android-tablet experience round 2!

With the first [defective] Nexus 7, I said "the Android tablet experience just doesn't feel as buttoned up as the Android smartphone experience." It turns out, a lot of that was due to touchscreen issues.

Let's see how it goes this time.

I think you will like it. The more I use mine the more I love it.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
I tried out the new Nexus 7 at Best Buy and just could not get over how bad the scrolling was in Google Chrome. It just stutters and lags like crazy. Even compared to my Nexus 4, which lags less but still stutters while images load - the Nexus 7 is much worse.

The huge bezels were still ugly in person too. Just don't understand why they have to be THAT big. Even other Android tablets get away with them being smaller in landscape mode just fine.

If it weren't for that horrible scrolling and the unsightly bezels, this thing could have been almost perfect. For now, I'd still take my iPad mini over this.

lshirase

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
I tried out the new Nexus 7 at Best Buy and just could not get over how bad the scrolling was in Google Chrome. It just stutters and lags like crazy. Even compared to my Nexus 4, which lags less but still stutters while images load - the Nexus 7 is much worse.

The huge bezels were still ugly in person too. Just don't understand why they have to be THAT big. Even other Android tablets get away with them being smaller in landscape mode just fine.

If it weren't for that horrible scrolling and the unsightly bezels, this thing could have been almost perfect. For now, I'd still take my iPad mini over this.

Chrome was quite a disappointment for me as well. I replaced it with dolphin browser and wow, what a difference! Buttery smooth scrolling.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Chrome was quite a disappointment for me as well. I replaced it with dolphin browser and wow, what a difference! Buttery smooth scrolling.

What is an example of a page that loads poorly in Chrome? I'm not seeing the issue in Chrome, Chrome beta, or Dolphin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.