Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.ad

I recommend this over vlc at the moment. The nexus 7 2013 supports the hw+ decoder by the way so enable that. It will tell you about it when you launch the application the first time. It saves a ton of battery over software decoding.

I'm not sure that downloading an app excuses the fact that, out of the box, it won't play MPEG4 videos. Poor show.

Plus there's no file system like the S4. This Nexus 7 could be tonnes better but it seems Google are doing Apple's trick of making it a little bit useless and rather frustrating to use.

I didn't have these 'teething problems' with my S4, it all seemed to sort of make sense. I actually started to believe all the rubbish I read about Samsung, but I'm now realising Samsung have actually done quite a good job with Touch Wizz.

Hawkeye16

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2009
Iowa
Maybe it's because my phone is a Galaxy S4 so I'm used to a slightly different Android experience, but so far my Nexus 7 experience has been rather underwhelming and a bit like going back to the bad days of iOS.

- Why must I go deep into menus just to change the brightness?

- Where are the quick wifi/bluetooth/GPS toggles?

- Why is the screen so small when the unit is so big? In Chrome, only about 50% of the front of the unit actually displays the web page (the rest taken up by the epic bezel, the tabs, the address bar and the home/back/menu soft keys).

- The camera is pretty awful

- No home button make unlocking quite an awkward affair - even more so when it's laying flat on a desk, you need two hands to unlock it.

- I can't hide/uninstall all the pointless apps like ChatON and Hangouts (whatever they are)

- Where's the battery percentage display?

- How do I lock the screen rotation?

So far, really not very impressed at all.

Also, where is the power and volume buttons. These are on the left side of my phone. Why can't I find them!

About 50% of your complaints are incredibly easy to find/solve. I had them solved within 5 minutes of turning on my Nexus 7... and it is my first Android device. Pretty intuitive. :rolleyes:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm not sure that downloading an app excuses the fact that, out of the box, it won't play MPEG4 videos. Poor show.

Plus there's no file system like the S4. This Nexus 7 could be tonnes better but it seems Google are doing Apple's trick of making it a little bit useless and rather frustrating to use.

I didn't have these 'teething problems' with my S4, it all seemed to sort of make sense. I actually started to believe all the rubbish I read about Samsung, but I'm now realising Samsung have actually done quite a good job with Touch Wizz.

Try the Galaxy Note 8.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010

You must be 10 years old if you don't know how to solve such easy stuff... they're not even problems. You must be the only one who thinks they're problems.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Went to PC World today to see if it myself in person. Its nice. Strangely some of the icons didn't seem Retina ready such as the application drawer icon? But anyway I was tempted but what did annoy me was the menu, toolbar being on screen in landscape for browser, real racing, and a few other apps. It made it seem awfully cramped.

Is there a way to hide the onscreen buttons in games like real racing etc..

Also the only thing that stopped my impulse buy was the fact I asked for them to throw in the case if I bought it cash there and then and they would only offer me €5 off the total @325 (less than 2‰ discount) so I said to them that they had turned my impulse buy into a considered purchase so I left empty handed.

Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Went to PC World today to see if it myself in person. Its nice. Strangely some of the icons didn't seem Retina ready such as the application drawer icon? But anyway I was tempted but what did annoy me was the menu, toolbar being on screen in landscape for browser, real racing, and a few other apps. It made it seem awfully cramped. Is there a way to hide the onscreen buttons in games like real racing etc.. Also the only thing that stopped my impulse buy was the fact I asked for them to throw in the case if I bought it cash there and then and they would only offer me €5 off (less than 2‰ discount) so I said to they, they had turned my impulse buy into a considered purchase so I left empty handed.
There is a 5% discount voucher at the moment if you order and collect instore online.
NEXUS5

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/nexus...227-99-pc-world-using-code-get-a-free-1642937
Not sure if it works outside of the UK at Curry's/pcworld.

There are custom ROMS out for the other nexus devices with full screen mods (and PIE controls). Cyanogenmod was one that had an extended desktop mode.

I wonder if the OCD side of me will notice the low red icones now. Thanks. :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I joined the party. Got myself a 32gb. If I don't like it I will sell it when the iPad mini 2 comes out.

So far impressions are a little muted. I do have the issue with phantom button presses so I'm just updating OS now in hopes it fixes it.

The case PC world sold to me with it was for last years model and so won't fit! DOH :eek: so have to take it back and exchange or get my money back.

All my apps are installed bar a couple of big games I'll download later, just going to sync it to my mac to put music on once its booted back from the update.

edit...

major pain in the bum. Netflix keeps erroring 15001 for me. I have the latest OS updates so just doesnt seem to want to work for me :(

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well I joined the party. Got myself a 32gb. If I don't like it I will sell it when the iPad mini 2 comes out.

So far impressions are a little muted. I do have the issue with phantom button presses so I'm just updating OS now in hopes it fixes it.

The case PC world sold to me with it was for last years model and so won't fit! DOH :eek: so have to take it back and exchange or get my money back.

All my apps are installed bar a couple of big games I'll download later, just going to sync it to my mac to put music on once its booted back from the update.

edit...

major pain in the bum. Netflix keeps erroring 15001 for me. I have the latest OS updates so just doesnt seem to want to work for me :(

I think there was a recent update for Netflix but I did not check after I installed it to see if it works. Will do asap.

Freeware sites usually have Apk file for NF. Maybe try to find one and see if it works. 1mobile.com should have it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Seems quite a few folks are having similar Netflix issue. some were resolved with a factory wipe, others seemed to think it was a google update issue. There doesn't seem any real rhyme or reason by the looks of it. I guess I'm going to have to grin and bare it till they update the app again - and if they don't I'll have to do a factory restore. Bit of a pain after downloading all my apps on the device and getting it set up in Nova etc...

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The last update for NF is showing August 7th. I too am getting an error that it can not connect to the service. I thought sure I had this working since the last update.

I guess I will wait it out. I have other resources to view NF.

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Picked up mine on release day in the UK and loving it so far. Display is crisp as expected, nice size feels great to hold.

Epic win of a device @ only £200!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The last update for NF is showing August 7th. I too am getting an error that it can not connect to the service. I thought sure I had this working since the last update.

I guess I will wait it out. I have other resources to view NF.

At least we know its a wide spread problem. Ironic given the amount of push Netflix HD was given at the launch though...

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Flipboard on the Nexus 7 sucks.

Everything is so cramped, you can't even read the full title. It's always like "Sony Release..." "The USA starts..." "Did You Know That..."

Very frustrating to use. Why aren't things more spaced out so we could at least read the title?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Flipboard on the Nexus 7 sucks.

Everything is so cramped, you can't even read the full title. It's always like "Sony Release..." "The USA starts..." "Did You Know That..."

Very frustrating to use. Why aren't things more spaced out so we could at least read the title?

Yeah I quit using Flipboard altogether. I now just use Currents on the S4 & N7 and Pulse on the N7 & iPad mini.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Not bad

t3L3F84.jpg

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
At least we know its a wide spread problem. Ironic given the amount of push Netflix HD was given at the launch though...

The recent update for NF was on IOS August 27th. I knew I did one recently but jumping from each OS daily can lead to one forgetting what is where after awhile. :)

No problem there with running my movies and tv shows.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The recent update for NF was on IOS August 27th. I knew I did one recently but jumping from each OS daily can lead to one forgetting what is where after awhile. :)

No problem there with running my movies and tv shows.

Weird, the only one on the play store here is dated 7/8/2013 which is the one I'm having the issue with. Must see if I can track that .apk

Doh... sorry see that you said iOS :)

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Weird, the only one on the play store here is dated 7/8/2013 which is the one I'm having the issue with. Must see if I can track that .apk

Doh... sorry see that you said iOS :)

An update came through for me to upgrade the 4.3 software on the N7. I uninstalled NF first, did the upgrade, and reinstalled NF. It works fine now. I did not see the requirement on the Play Store that one needed to have the latest software for 4.3 for the app to work on the N7. I need to be more observant. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.