Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which stand option are you getting and why?

• Tilt-adjustable stand

Votes: 64 44.8%
  • Tilt and height adjustable stand

Votes: 47 32.9%
  • Vesa mount adapter

Votes: 32 22.4%

• Total voters

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I can't decide but I think the real question for me is if I end up getting VESA mount adapter, do I have to get an arm or are there 3rd party stands that look good? Arms are kind of too big of a contraption IMO.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
i have no issues with my conventional desk and an imac 27 inch so i can't imagine the regular tilt system on the studio display wouldn't fit my needs. i see the height adjustable as being more useful in environments where you use the display standing, often show others what is on the display, or in a store setting where it shows customers something.

TheBigApple2006

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
VESA for sure. Far more adjustable and useful for my case, and portrait available too. The basic stand does nothing, and the height adjustable one is simply too much money and again quite basic, especially given that I have the arm already...

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
VESA for me - gives me much more flexibility, especially as I'll be using the internal webcam a lot and occasionally use it in portrait mode.

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Seems silly they didn’t make the stands/mount interchangeable. We are stuck with whatever we pick. So if you choose one of the stand options now, and then get a fancy new desk with VESA arms a few years later…well, you’re outta luck. For that reason, I’d probably choose the VESA option and find a nice 3rd party stand. Hopefully some manufacturers will recognize this and develop some decent looking ones (and be height adjustable) if there aren’t any already.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Standard option for me. The height of the iMac has always been fine for me and I actually don't want the screen coming any closer which will happen with the more flexible stand. Desk depth is a limitation for me.

Reactions: Royksöpp

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I ordered the height adjustable stand but am having second thoughts as my understanding is that this stand can’t offer portrait mode. A VESA mount would allow me that and would save me 400$.

For sure I will not order the regular stand, ergonomics are important to me

Arctic Moose

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Any recommendations for vesa arms?

These are all fantastic options, depending on your needs:

(free-standing, not an arm)

Edit: just noticed your free-standing requirement, which these of course will not fulfill.

avedis

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2015
Vesa for sure, I'll pair with the CBS Ollin arm that supporting my Ultrafine 5k now.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I wonder if the Apple Stores will stock anything other than the standard, non-height adjustable model?

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
I’ll probably go with the tilt-only one. But to those saying they were happy with the height of the 27-inch iMac, keep in mind that the large “chin” meant that the actual screen area was somewhat elevated. I think with the chinless Studio Display, the screen area could be closer to desk level, although I’d need to see them side by side.

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
I’ll probably go with the tilt-only one. But to those saying they were happy with the height of the 27-inch iMac, keep in mind that the large “chin” meant that the actual screen area was somewhat elevated. I think with the chinless Studio Display, the screen area could be closer to desk level, although I’d need to see them side by side.
It should be pretty close. The height of the 27" 5k iMac is 20.3 and the height of the tilt only Studio Display is 18.8. The bezels on the Studio are much much smaller.

pedregosa

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
It should be pretty close. The height of the 27" 5k iMac is 20.3 and the height of the tilt only Studio Display is 18.8. The bezels on the Studio are much much smaller.
I think it iwll be OK. But the chin and bezel at the bottom of my 27-inch iMac take up about 9 cm or 3.5 inches. So my guess is that the usable screen on the Studio Display — with its very small bezels and no chin — will be closer to desk level. But I’m going to order the tilt-only one anyway.

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
I think it iwll be OK. But the chin and bezel at the bottom of my 27-inch iMac take up about 9 cm or 3.5 inches. So my guess is that the usable screen on the Studio Display — with its very small bezels and no chin — will be closer to desk level. But I’m going to order the tilt-only one anyway.
it's 4.5 inches from the bottom of the Studio to the desk. My iMac 27 is just under 3 inches from the bottom to desk.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Standard version for me. It's the cleanest looking and I have no need for height adjustment. Never have. If I need height adjustment I will lower or raise my chair. That simple. Not sure why everyone is complaining that the stands/mounts aren't interchangeable...Make up your mind make a decision to what fits your needs and move on. If I buy a red shirt I don't complain that it can't change to blue when I want. I bought a 4 cylinder car and I'm not mad that I can't change it to a 6 cylinder when I need more power. People will complain just to complain.

Reactions: Norre8 and sfwalter

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Not sure why everyone is complaining that the stands/mounts aren't interchangeable...Make up your mind make a decision to what fits your needs and move on. If I buy a red shirt I don't complain that it can't change to blue when I want. I bought a 4 cylinder car and I'm not mad that I can't change it to a 6 cylinder when I need more power. People will complain just to complain.
Your comparison is pretty poor. Having the ability to interchange between a stand and a VESA mount is a basic feature that almost every monitor offers for years, even the cheapest one. Your comparison with your car is relative to its power, nobody asks that the display technology should be upgradable after the purchase. We're talking about a stand, not the tech hardware. VESA has been designed to be a standard in the monitor industry for mounting, and Apple purposely is limiting the flexibility to alternate between stand and VESA. It's ridiculous that someone who get the stand would need to get a whole new monitor in the future if they want to mount it. So I don't think the complaints are unreasonable, but good for you if you're happy with this limitation

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Your comparison is pretty poor. Having the ability to interchange between a stand and a VESA mount is a basic feature that almost every monitor offers for years, even the cheapest one. Your comparison with your car is relative to its power, nobody asks that the display technology should be upgradable after the purchase. We're talking about a stand, not the tech hardware. VESA has been designed to be a standard in the monitor industry for mounting, and Apple purposely is limiting the flexibility to alternate between stand and VESA. It's ridiculous that someone who get the stand would need to get a whole new monitor in the future if they want to mount it. So I don't think the complaints are unreasonable, but good for you if you're happy with this limitation
I knew I'd get this type of response as soon as I hit post. Apple has been doing this same type of thing for years and the same type of people have been complaining right along. Either buy the the display that fits your needs or don't. That simple. At least there are 3 choices.

If they made it interchangeable people would complain about the bezels, the price, the size, the contrast, the speakers, camera or the performance. Oh wait...Nevermind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.