Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which stand option are you getting and why?

• Tilt-adjustable stand

Votes: 64 44.8%
  • Tilt and height adjustable stand

Votes: 47 32.9%
  • Vesa mount adapter

Votes: 32 22.4%

• Total voters

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Reactions: ascender

rgwebb

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
I am buying the height adjustable stand model. People swear by the XDR stand who could afford it...so I sprung for it.

rgwebb

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Yes. If you want to be technical. I suppose I was using a poor comparison in trying to make a point.
But only to a degree. Apple will convert a stand to VESA mount bracket and vice versa. It will undoubtedly be a hefty service for what is being done but it is not impossible to convert a studio display.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I can't decide but I think the real question for me is if I end up getting VESA mount adapter, do I have to get an arm or are there 3rd party stands that look good? Arms are kind of too big of a contraption IMO.
I went with VESA since it offers the most flexibility and is cheaper than the height-adjustment stand. A decent VESA arm is around $50, and even a premium VESA arm like ErgoTron is around $200. The Apple Studio Display is only about 12 lbs and so doesn’t need a bulky mount.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013

Tilt and height adjustable stand for me. I like to place my iPP or MBP M1 right below my LG 34 inch 5K2K monitor which is held up by a third party monitor stand. The tilt and height adjustable stand allows for this setup. I also will be keeping my 5K2K monitor so it's nice to have them paired up at the same height.​

Reactions: jacklivehere

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I need to know how low the tilt- and height-adjustable stand can go?

I feel regret for not going with that option, instead I opted for the tilt-adjustable stand. I noticed that the Studio Display seems to be on the same height as the 24" iMac's display (where the white border frame is, excluding the chin), but I expected the display to be lower, like where the chin is.

In the keynote, they briefly demonstrated the height being adjusted, which seems to bottom out the same as the basic stand, unless they didn't show it go down all the way.

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I need to know how low the tilt- and height-adjustable stand can go?

I feel regret for not going with that option, instead I opted for the tilt-adjustable stand. I noticed that the Studio Display seems to be on the same height as the 24" iMac's display (where the white border frame is, excluding the chin), but I expected the display to be lower, like where the chin is.

In the keynote, they briefly demonstrated the height being adjusted, which seems to bottom out the same as the basic stand, unless they didn't show it go down all the way.
The total height of the display at the lowest point of the height+tilt stand is 18.8 inch

20B15964-D9D5-459A-A672-CAA5FE9474D6.jpeg

slainbabyyc

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2021
I'm getting the tilt adjustable stand. I need my monitor to be as far back as possible so that it will not reflect sound from the speakers on either side of my desk, which also need to be as close to the wall as possible. The height-adjustable stand adds depth. Also, the monitor is going to be sitting on top of a custom built enclosure in which I will mount 19" rack gear, so I will configure the height that way.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Good to know, thanks!

They both have the same height after all.

And I find it interesting that it's only 0.8 inches taller than the 24" iMac. It doesn't seem like much!
Just get the VESA mount. It’s the best deal.

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
I knew I'd get this type of response as soon as I hit post. Apple has been doing this same type of thing for years and the same type of people have been complaining right along. Either buy the the display that fits your needs or don't. That simple. At least there are 3 choices.

If they made it interchangeable people would complain about the bezels, the price, the size, the contrast, the speakers, camera or the performance. Oh wait...Nevermind.
But people's needs may change over time. When you buy a monitor at this sort of price, most people will keep it for 5 years+ I'm guessing? What if you buy a new desk? What if you move house/office and your setup changes?

Apple have been doing this for years, but they also used to make an iMac where you could swap out the stand for a VESA mount yourself.

I think a lot of the criticism about this monitor around its specs & price is unjustified, but I'm disappointed they couldn't engineer something meaning you could easily switch out stands/mounts. Although I think I saw something on Twitter saying its possibly something your Apple Store could do for you?

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
But people's needs may change over time. When you buy a monitor at this sort of price, most people will keep it for 5 years+ I'm guessing? What if you buy a new desk? What if you move house/office and your setup changes?

Apple have been doing this for years, but they also used to make an iMac where you could swap out the stand for a VESA mount yourself.

I think a lot of the criticism about this monitor around its specs & price is unjustified, but I'm disappointed they couldn't engineer something meaning you could easily switch out stands/mounts. Although I think I saw something on Twitter saying its possibly something your Apple Store could do for you?
this is ridiculous, we should be able to switch out stands/mounts

rgwebb

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005

Again, Ars Technica confirms that Apple can convert a Studio Display between the three configurations. It will come at a hefty expense since it will involve purchasing the part AND an Apple service technician’s time.

Is that good? No but Apple does supply an alternative to repurchasing an entire display with an undoubtedly lesser expense.

Obviously Apple should have figured out how to adapt their Pro Display XDR mounting point for the Studio Display.

rgwebb

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Just get the VESA mount. It’s the best deal.
That depends on the environment.

Wall-mounting is a great option when you have a desk against a wall but moving a desk around just became a mount reinstall, dry-wall touch up, and paint job.

Display arms are a great option when you can setup a desk where each side - where you sit and the opposite side - have plenty of open space. This tends to not be common in most homes. I have dual-arm setup in my workplace office but work office desks are typically setup assuming one-on-one meetings with coworkers so you will usually have some open air for the arms to operate.

VESA mount stands are usually over-engineered to handle different weights and shapes that it will need to accept. This can lead to the base being very heavy and take up a lot of space on the desk.

None of these options are invalid but just accepting that this is a 2000 dollar display is probably going to give most people less headaches longterm.

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Apple has been doing this same type of thing for years and the same type of people have been complaining right along.
What do you mean? The Pro Display XDR is interchangeable. The Cinema Display they sold years ago was interchangeable. Heck, even the new (and old) iMacs are interchangeable. Considering they were able to do it for the new thin iMacs, they could have done something similar with these.

If they made it interchangeable people would complain about the bezels, the price, the size, the contrast, the speakers, camera or the performance. Oh wait...Nevermind.
Yes, people will complain, but none of these complaints have to do whether it’s interchangeable or not.

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
It looks horrendous though. I like my setup clean.
From where you are sitting, you should not see anything of the arm on which the display is mounted. And if you have to look at the back of you display often yeah, maybe you should get a really nice looking Vesa mount. Like the ones from CBS, but they are extreme expensive.
Display arms are a great option when you can setup a desk where each side - where you sit and the opposite side - have plenty of open space. This tends to not be common in most homes. I have dual-arm setup in my workplace office but work office desks are typically setup assuming one-on-one meetings with coworkers so you will usually have some open air for the arms to operate.
I don't really get that. If you have the Vesa arm mounted to your desk, without a pole it takes even less space. Because with the arm you can move the display directly over the desk clamp and the arm swings to the left or right. So the only space you need is thickness of the arm + thickness of the display.
I just tried that with my iMac 27" and its stand takes up almost exactly the same horizontal space as my Vesa arm:
4ACBB406-3517-4EB1-B92D-452257CE702B_1_102_o.jpeg

VESA mount stands are usually over-engineered to handle different weights and shapes that it will need to accept. This can lead to the base being very heavy and take up a lot of space on the desk.
As you also can see the base of my Vesa mount pole is about half the surface of the iMac stand. Maybe the Studio Display stand surface is a little bit smaller, but the Vesa mount will still take less space.

For me the the Vesa mount has the only downside that it looks a bit industrial at the back. But having more space on my desk and be able to move the display towards my couch is much more important to me.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2019
These are all fantastic options, depending on your needs:

Edit: just noticed your free-standing requirement, which these of course will not fulfill.
I was going to get one of those, BUT if I read B&H's website correctly the HX series are good for monitors between 20-42 pounds, and the Mac Studio Display is only 12 pounds; I ended up ordering one from their LX series, which are for lighter monitors.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Blaine

rustyosaurus

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2009
I went with the standard stand. I'm only 5'4. I figure taller people may want a height adjustable stand but I can't imaging that I would.

Reactions: RyanC1384

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
clean is best. I want to sell my LG 34 inch 5K2K and get 2 Studio Displays with the adjustable height stand
That's also what I'm doing, but still not sure about vesa mount v adjustable height stand. Am even tempted by a dual-monitor vesa stand maybe.

Two of them with adjustable height stands would be a very nice and clean setup if you have your Mac tucked away somewhere.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
That's also what I'm doing, but still not sure about vesa mount v adjustable height stand. Am even tempted by a dual-monitor vesa stand maybe.

Two of them with adjustable height stands would be a very nice and clean setup if you have your Mac tucked away somewhere.
Are you going to use an arm if vesa? The ones that are sturdy and good looking are pretty expensive. My desk is not that deep so I prefer the adjustable height stand. I hope to also move into a larger office room where my desk will no longer face a wall. In that case, the back of the monitor with the stand would be pretty sweet looking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.