Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which stand option are you getting and why?

• Tilt-adjustable stand

Votes: 64 44.8%
  • Tilt and height adjustable stand

Votes: 47 32.9%
  • Vesa mount adapter

Votes: 32 22.4%

• Total voters

CoffeeMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
Voted VESA mount, but then after some Googling I realized that you just can't get a selfstanding VESA adapter that looks just mildly pretty, so I won't be getting that after all.

I did a quick search and the headache ensued, thus opting for Tilt-Height. For the price of a monitor and how uniform it looks, it feels wrong to attach some of the available Vesa stands. They are frankensteinish looking.

americandadfrankendog.jpg

lol I'm only kidding of course and poking fun, but most of the stands I saw at a quick glance only reiterated my general feeling towards third party adapters, mounts, arms. It's an industry where price and function rules at the cost of form and sometimes material. There's a need for everything though, but it was a hard pass for the entire experience of finding something I liked (quality, uniformity, customer service).

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
I think there is a tremendous opportunity for a 3rd party to manufacture a stand that looks very similar to Apple's own stand, but attaches to the VESA mount on that option. That gives people the option to have the Apple look/feel and then later transition to a traditional arm later if needed without having to rebuy a new monitor
Maybe now that there is an Apple monitor again that a decent amount of people is able to afford someone will come up with something like that.

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2021
My proposal here, maybe already proposed, did not read all posts.
Instead of paying $80 to Apple for the VESA option, just get the cheaper non- adjustable stand.
Use the $80 to buy a VESA arm if not already having one.
Than drill 4 holes in the stand and attach it to the arm with nice screws.

If disturbing, the lower part of the original stand can be trimmed, about at the cable hole location. It should not be difficult, the material seems Aluminum.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
My proposal here, maybe already proposed, did not read all posts.
Instead of paying $80 to Apple for the VESA option, just get the cheaper non- adjustable stand.
Use the $80 to buy a VESA arm if not already having one.
Than drill 4 holes in the stand and attach it to the arm with nice screws.

If disturbing, the lower part of the original stand can be trimmed, about at the cable hole location. It should not be difficult, the material seems Aluminum.
Where’s the $80 coming from? The tilt adjustable stand and VESA mount options are the same price.

marinersaptcomplex

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Maybe now that there is an Apple monitor again that a decent amount of people is able to afford someone will come up with something like that.
lcimg_7c6d2fd7_bef2_47c0_af2d_eda6264d376c.6.jpg

This chrome/brushed looking one is quite nice. Wonder which brand it is or something one-off just for the keynote?

Reactions: robotica

Elcuria

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
I ordered one each. Should have ordered tilt/height sooner (tilt arrives 03/24-31, tilt/height arrives in May sometime).

Anyways the rationale is to use the tilt Studio Display at work in one of the rooms I sleep work in, as it has an adjustable desk. The tilt/height Studio Display will be used at home. Will be plugging in a M1 MBA, as a mobile device as the primary device is the goal.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
I ordered one each. Should have ordered tilt/height sooner (tilt arrives 03/24-31, tilt/height arrives in May sometime).

Anyways the rationale is to use the tilt Studio Display at work in one of the rooms I sleep work in, as it has an adjustable desk. The tilt/height Studio Display will be used at home. Will be plugging in a M1 MBA, as a mobile device as the primary device is the goal.
Wait, you sleep at your office at work?

ascender

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2005
lcimg_7c6d2fd7_bef2_47c0_af2d_eda6264d376c.6.jpg

This chrome/brushed looking one is quite nice. Wonder which brand it is or something one-off just for the keynote?
That's the exact one I've ordered. I've got a single Ergotron mounting arm which is really great quality, but I like being bale to separate the two monitors like that.

flapflapflap

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
I think there is a tremendous opportunity for a 3rd party to manufacture a stand that looks very similar to Apple's own stand, but attaches to the VESA mount on that option. That gives people the option to have the Apple look/feel and then later transition to a traditional arm later if needed without having to rebuy a new monitor
Would be nice to have MagSafe built in or just ports for charging.

mrj412

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Ordered the standard tilt-adjustable stand as soon as the store opened at the end of the event. I have Friday delivery and any change now is a two month wait, so I'm going to test out the display and return it if I really need a different stand.

CoffeeMacBook

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
Ordered the standard tilt-adjustable stand as soon as the store opened at the end of the event. I have Friday delivery and any change now is a two month wait, so I'm going to test out the display and return it if I really need a different stand.

Lucky you! Mine is set to arrive on April 14-21*. Hoping to get it sooner.

I was in the middle of reorganizing my home office, setting up, researching, and purchasing lots of things - web camera, Ergotron arm, etc... I wasn't expecting anything I wanted to launch until fall 2022 - skipped it entirely. Got Apple's email about the products revealed, ended up reading it later that night - it was too late 😒

I canceled and returned a lot of peripherals I had purchased just a few weeks before since the Studio Display has a camera + speakers and a height-adjustable stand.

I sincerely hope they're able to deliver the Studio Display ahead of schedule so I can move forward with completing my office setup and just get to work.

Edit: I didn't want to deal with third party gear since I had already looked for some for my current Samsung monitor, and that was a headache. My office setup project has felt like two steps forward one step back for the past few weeks 😑

Last edited:

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
Curious which configurations you are getting for your Studio Displays?

Are you getting standard display with tilt, tilt and height, vesa? anyone doing nano-texture? If you chose VESA, could you share which mounts/stands you are getting with your Studio Display?

I am currently torn between the standard tilt or the tilt and height adjustable stand. the price is kind of ridiculous for the tilt & height stand, figured if I spend that much it may be better to go for the VESA option and find a quality stand (I'd like something may have similar appearance and not janky).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I wonder if the Apple Stores will stock anything other than the standard, non-height adjustable model?
I picked up a height-adjustable display at the Apple Store on Friday. Right now it doesn't look like any Apple Studio Displays at all are on stock.

Reactions: ascender

aurora_sect

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2022
It looks horrendous though. I like my setup clean.
Beg to differ! Mine looks like it's floating, stand is totally concealed from most vantage points. Can't really get cleaner than that. And my stand--an Ergotron LX in polished aluminum--nicely matches my Aeron chair.

Summersify

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
UK
I picked up a height-adjustable display at the Apple Store on Friday. Right now it doesn't look like any Apple Studio Displays at all are on stock.
Which country are you in? Haven't seen anyone in the uk who's picked up a height-adjustable one

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Which country are you in? Haven't seen anyone in the uk who's picked up a height-adjustable one
The US. On Friday, some stores had height-adjustable displays. Others had nano-texture displays. Apple Stores haven’t had much in stock since then, though Best Buy has a handful of the base model (not height adjustable).

RyanC1384

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
96B98D70-DA4D-4A0A-A445-88C742999534.jpeg

Went with the tilt only version on both of mine...I noticed it is far too low for me (I'm 6'1) so picked up 2 of these on Etsy. Reviews were 5 stars across the board.

Planning to spray paint them to match the OEM display stand...anyone know the paint I should buy?

Reactions: MisterSavage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.