Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alunjunkinsuk

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
IMG_1545.PNG
Hit a bug today I think
The displayed total is 3 odd km instead of 35 . The file is good as exporting it to strava gives the correct distance

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I haven't heard of that problem. Has this happened for you before?

The distance shown is that reported by Apple's HealthKit as opposed to being calculated by the app from the GPS trail. In theory this is more accurate because Apple smooth out the GPS inaccuracies, but maybe their algorithm got a bit confused.

You mentioned in a PM that you were looking into third party sensors such as speed/cadence sensors. Were you using any on this ride?

dugbee

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Just bought your app for my iPhone. I don't have a Watch yet but I think this might be what I'm looking for even on the iPhone. The map rendering looks very nice and the price was just right.

I'm wondering what other folks use for planning a hike. Ideally I'd be able to research a hike on my Mac (or even another app on the phone) and get a GPX route to the WorkOutdoors app.

Most of what I've found requires a subscription, but I'm hesitant to buy into something until I know it has a nice workflow with an app like this. Thanks!

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Many thanks for buying the app, even before you get a watch! You can still download GPX routes and display and analyse them on the iPhone app. There are loads of free GPX files around the web that you can use, although you are right that the subscription-based services provide the best coverage.

There is a minor bug with waypoints in the current version, whereby they are treated as part of the route instead of being displayed as individual POIs. This is fixed in the new version that is due out in a couple of weeks.

In this new version the waypoints are shown as icons (and text if room) and you can tap the icon to show its full text. This is particularly useful when the GPX file includes waypoints to aid navigation, such as "Turn left at the post". Although to be honest I find that just having the route shown on the map is usually more than enough to navigate by.

alunjunkinsuk

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
Hi Cfc, with the realse of Watchos 4 and ios 11 its now possible to put the gpx into health. I see that rungap can do this.
Any chance with your app. I intend to test the issue with the distance and speed later today for you on my cycle events.
Still loving the app

Reactions: cfc

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Great to hear that you still love the app! Many thanks for testing it.

The next version has all the watchOS 4 enhancements, including saving the workout route to HealthKit. It should be available in a couple of weeks. As well as the route saving it also has many other enhancements, including full screen maps; a "map-only" mode that doesn't need a workout; and much more.

alunjunkinsuk

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2016
Hi
For whatever reason in iOS 11 and watchOS 4 the cycling distance is back to normal !
Great . Can’t wait for the update with maps into health

Keep up the good work . So far this is my favourite app for running and cycling .

My wish list

Direct uploads to sites like strava
Maps into health( coming soon )
Override exercise type on upload ( so force say ebike into strava)

Thanks again
Highly recommended app

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
That's good to hear! I guess that there was a bug in HealthKit in watchOS 3 related to how it dealt with your 3rd party speed/cadence sensor, which they have fixed in watchOS 4.

They have fixed quite a few issues in watchOS 4, which is good to see. I was having problems with occasional lock-ups with watchOS 3 (related to Apple's Scene Kit 3D drawing stuff) but that doesn't happen in watchOS 4.

Improved exporting is on the list of improvements which I will try to add into the next version.

Glad you like the app so much!

Andyba

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
After reading the thread, the apps seems to be really interesting. I am planning do acquire a training watch, I was an user of the polar V800, and the every day use of this watch is not was I was expecting, however the battery was awesome.

This app open me the option to buy the AW3 and use this app, but I still wonder if the battery using the watch for guiding and navigating by bike could afford a long route. (Obviously managing the screen brightness or some way to save battery)

Does anyone have more information or experience about it? Some possible estimations could be really helpful.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
If you have your iPhone with you then the watch battery should last at least 8 hours (and probably a lot more) because the iPhone will be getting the GPS.

If do not take your iPhone, then the watch will probably last about 5 hours when using GPS (according to Apple). This is down to the hardware rather than the app. I haven't tested it myself though.

As the developer of the app I have spent all day cycling many times but I always take my iPhone. I also bring a Watch/iPhone combo power bank just in case, but have only occasionally used it for the iPhone, and never for the Watch. In fact I generally find that my iPhone battery drops more than the Watch, although that could be because the battery in my old 6S is struggling.

The app uses very very little power to update the map whenever your wrist is raised (which usually takes under a second on AW3) and to smoothly move and rotate the map for the small periods that you look at it. This is negligible in comparison to the power used by constantly receiving GPS updates, which is why the battery lasts a lot longer when the iPhone does the location tracking.

Has anyone else who has used WorkOutDoors on AW3 got any experience with how long the Watch battery lasts without an iPhone?

redsteeler

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2014
WorkOutDoors do not take any more power then any other kind of sport related apps which use watch gps. It is really one of the best and unique. If possible it would be great to implement back to start function/simple navigation as Garmin watch have it for running/ hiking activities and voice functions like Nike and Strava implemented in their apps then it would be the best one i know.

Andyba

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
If you have your iPhone with you then the watch battery should last at least 8 hours (and probably a lot more) because the iPhone will be getting the GPS.

If do not take your iPhone, then the watch will probably last about 5 hours when using GPS (according to Apple). This is down to the hardware rather than the app. I haven't tested it myself though.

As the developer of the app I have spent all day cycling many times but I always take my iPhone. I also bring a Watch/iPhone combo power bank just in case, but have only occasionally used it for the iPhone, and never for the Watch. In fact I generally find that my iPhone battery drops more than the Watch, although that could be because the battery in my old 6S is struggling.

The app uses very very little power to update the map whenever your wrist is raised (which usually takes under a second on AW3) and to smoothly move and rotate the map for the small periods that you look at it. This is negligible in comparison to the power used by constantly receiving GPS updates, which is why the battery lasts a lot longer when the iPhone does the location tracking.

Has anyone else who has used WorkOutDoors on AW3 got any experience with how long the Watch battery lasts without an iPhone?

Thank you for your feedback, it would be really helpful when deciding to buy the watch. I assume that the maps could be stored in the watch for an off-line navigation, right?

Again, thank you

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, it would be really helpful when deciding to buy the watch. I assume that the maps could be stored in the watch for an off-line navigation, right?

Yes, you can select areas to be cached on the iPhone and send them to the watch. If the required area isn't cached then the watch app will download the map on demand (if you have a data signal).

Please let me know if you have any more questions, or check out the website at www.workoutdoors.net.
PhoneStripDownloads.png

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I hadn't even thought of Geocaching, so thanks for asking about it (and for the geocaching GPX files that you sent me). The files loaded into WorkOutDoors with no problem and show the location of the cache on the watch map. Tapping the icon shows the text in the <desc> field, as shown in the screenshots.

In the next version of the app I will add extra parsing of the "groundspeak" tags to show the information contained in them. Please let me know if you can think of anything else that I could add that would help geocachers.

It's great to find the app useful for something that I hadn't even considered whilst writing it!
Geocaching.png

warcanoid

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2017
In the next version of the app I will add extra parsing of the "groundspeak" tags to show the information contained in them. Please let me know if you can think of anything else that I could add that would help geocachers.
View attachment 735892

Yes! Add this and lot of geocachers and other are going to buy this app, and also apple watches:)

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
Just purchased, based on your passion mostly.

FYI, the altitude unit displays in metres regardless of the selection (at least for me). I’d prefer feet.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Many thanks for buying the app!

Did you change the altitude units on the phone and expect them to change on the watch as well? They are deliberately separate but that isn't clear, so apologies for that. I will change the setting to read "Elevation Units on iPhone".

The reason they are separate is because some people prefer that. For example here in the UK we use both units. Most people nowadays use metres, but people of my age still tend to think in feet, so I have metres on the iPhone for showing other people, and feet on the Watch for me.

It is less of an issue in the next version of the app, which will allow the user to completely customise what statistics are shown on the watch screen (and where they are shown), including which statistics are cycled through when double-tapping a field. The statistics will be selectable from a pool of about 30 live values, including separate elevation values for feet and metres. This will mean that users can show both units if they want, possibly using the "double-tap" ability to toggle between them.

Thanks again for buying the app. Please let me know how you get on with it, and if you have any questions.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
That's odd. It works fine for me. Whereabouts on the app are you seeing the metres? Is it on the main screen when you double tap the distance, or is it on the Info screen when it shows ascent and descent? And what is wrong with it? Is it both the number and the units text, or just one or the other?

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
That's odd. It works fine for me. Whereabouts on the app are you seeing the metres? Is it on the main screen when you double tap the distance, or is it on the Info screen when it shows ascent and descent? And what is wrong with it? Is it both the number and the units text, or just one or the other?

The main screen when I tap. I made a video but my work's internet connection is so slow that it's taking a while to upload.
[doublepost=1510930051][/doublepost]
The main screen when I tap. I made a video but my work's internet connection is so slow that it's taking a while to upload.

And it's just the units text. The number shows, but obviously it isn't right for my purpose.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Many thanks for taking a video of it. That really is going above and beyond!

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Thanks for the video. That explains it perfectly. I had forgotten that I display the altitude if you single-tap the GPS dot a couple of times (the first tap shows the lat/long).

As you rightly say, it always shows metres. I will fix it now for the new version, which should come out next month.

Sorry about that - I thought that you were talking about the main display when doing a workout and you can double tap on the distance to see the altitude. I have added so many little features that I can't remember them all!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.