Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Holy crap I like that bottom right presentation! Because there are so many fields it would be nice if you can eventually add the ability to highlight with a color or red outline certain fields. Apple workout app lets you scroll to highlight one field. I currently do this for pace if trying to improve or HR if running to HR. I can see cadence highlighted for me too since I am working to improve mine. Awesome work Ian! Ready to beta test on the Watch when you are. I like to run with just my AW3 LTE, Scosche and Plantronics ear buds. Which reminds me. If you can add feature to automatically start a playlist like Apple workouts does that would be great!

Really looking forward to this version!

That is an excellent idea about letting users highlight certain fields so that they stand out amongst the many other values. As a result I have modified the app so that a long press on a field inverts its colours:
WatchStripHighlight.png

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
That is an excellent idea about letting users highlight certain fields so that they stand out amongst the many other values. As a result I have modified the app so that a long press on a field inverts its colours:
View attachment 737673

That’s perfect Ian! Very usable.
[doublepost=1511387450][/doublepost]Is there a way to blank out a field, say in the 10 field panel? Have it be blank for aesthetics is all fields not needed?

Also, could a field choice be “Lap 1 time”, or “Lap 2 time” Etc up to a certain number of splits? Predefined splits or user selectable splits of course. I’m a casual/fitness runner but I wonder if that would be helpful to some....

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
That’s perfect Ian! Very usable.
[doublepost=1511387450][/doublepost]Is there a way to blank out a field, say in the 10 field panel? Have it be blank for aesthetics is all fields not needed?

Also, could a field choice be “Lap 1 time”, or “Lap 2 time” Etc up to a certain number of splits? Predefined splits or user selectable splits of course. I’m a casual/fitness runner but I wonder if that would be helpful to some....

Allowing a blank field should be easy enough. I'll add it now.

I'm not planning any splits functionality in this release (apart from fixing the export of them to Health Kit), but it is definitely on the to-do list for future versions.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
Allowing a blank field should be easy enough. I'll add it now.

I'm not planning any splits functionality in this release (apart from fixing the export of them to Health Kit), but it is definitely on the to-do list for future versions.

Thank you sir! Now, after giving thanks please get back to work!

Reactions: cfc

redsteeler

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2014
View attachment 737673

One of the best future garmin watch faces have are color highlights of specific data i.e. field like heart-rate or cadence or current pace can be modified. For example you can make setup of current pace field when you are below 5 min per km field is green when you are above 5 min per km field is red etc color changing between exercise can greatly help you to be inline with training. On the other hand voice information per km or per time (basic one ) can be even more beneficial for most of the runners If you can implement all this futures then rest of the sport app providers can just close the shops

Last edited:

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
One of the best future garmin watch faces have are color highlights of specific data i.e. field like heart-rate or cadence or current pace can be modified. For example you can make setup of current pace field when you are below 5 min per km field is green when you are above 5 min per km field is red etc color changing between exercise can greatly help you to be inline with training. On the other hand voice information per km or per time (basic one ) can be even more beneficial for most of the runners If you can implement all this futures then rest of the sport app providers can just close the shops

^^^^^Even better! Configurable green/yellow/red shading depending on pace! Maybe this can be on list for future update!

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Colour coding according to the value sounds an excellent idea, and should be pretty easy, so I will have a look into that. I may be able to sneak it into the next major version.

That version should hopefully also have voice notifications. I have coded them up but they sometimes don't work for some reason, which I am investigating.

I have decided that it is too difficult to make the next major version compatible with watchOS 3, because it uses so many watchOS 4 features. Because of this I have decided to release an extra version of the app very soon, so that watchOS 3 users will at least get a version that is as up-to-date as possible, with all the latest bug-fixes, before I release the major new version for watchOS 4 only (which I still hope to release before Xmas).

This last watchOS 3 version should be out in a week or so because I am submitting it to Apple for beta testing today. Beta testers should get this version in the next few days (depending on Apple), so it would be great if they could check it out. Thanks!

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
I have used this app several times hiking and it is definitely a workable mapping and navigation option. So that works great. This is in part based on the level of detail on the open street map, but I have been impressed that even obscure trails show up.

The data field screen also looks interesting. Can you make one of those available fields "floors climbed"? I see you have elevation gained, so it is the same basic concept. But for training day by day I am thinking of focusing on floors instead of steps, and I don't think any apple watch app (or iphone app) offers up floors in a useable display.

cfc

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I will add floors as an option in the pool of values that the user can choose from. As you say the app already has ascent in metres or feet, and floors is technically just a third type of unit. However I will add it as a separate property.

Thanks for the comments about the map. I must admit that even I was surprised by how usable it is, despite the small screen. And most of that is down to OpenStreetMap being so comprehensive. Most other maps (Apple, Google etc) are very poor when it comes to paths and trails, which are often the most important features for an exercise map. However OpenStreetMap is a more general-purpose map that shows every kind of feature, and can also go to incredible detail in places.

For those that haven't heard of OpenStreetMap, it is a bit like Wikipedia, but for maps. It is created by millions of volunteers around the world. So if you think that the maps in your area could be better, then you may want to consider improving them yourself: www.openstreetmap.org

They also have a humanitarian wing, which is geared up to improve the maps in places that need it, such as after disasters: www.hotosm.org

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.