Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
The iPhone shot looks fine! Its probably the best of them all! The blurry effect is called Bokeh...... and its a really really popular and 'in-demand' effect.... something, again sorry but, Prime lenses with their extremely wide apertures have a mastery on. Its also one of the three most popular ways of inducing depth in your photographs!

The second way is lines..... converging lines! Something you could've used in your Airport photograph but nevertheless, nice pic!

As for the third photograph.... zooming in with PORTRAIT would've yielded better results and more Bokeh differential focus (distinguish b/w in-focus and background)
And.... the whole photography term 'portrait' carved it in the tech industry with all printers distinguishing the orientation of a rectangular sheet as 'portrait' and 'landscape' yet you use landscape to shoot a portrait......

Always consider lighting...... ALWAYS... The statue receiving natural sunlight from the front left would've produced way better results shot from the front due to the introduction of soft shadows then!

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
The iPhone shot looks fine! Its probably the best of them all! The blurry effect is called Bokeh...... and its a really really popular and 'in-demand' effect.... something, again sorry but, Prime lenses with their extremely wide apertures have a mastery on. Its also one of the three most popular ways of inducing depth in your photographs!

Not wishing to disagree, but I think it is a bit blurred due to camera-shake. Albeit perhaps not much. Also, best, how?!

H2Ockey

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
The second way is lines..... converging lines! Something you could've used in your Airport photograph but nevertheless, nice pic!

This just made me think of something that would be great is some online "Assignments" there is a thread here for that, but seems pretty old. Search multiple forums and find one that is current, weekly or monthly assignments where you go out shoot a particular subject and then get feedback on those shots.

It will help you develop and Eye, and a personal style plus you will learn your equipment fully.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Not wishing to disagree, but I think it is a bit blurred due to camera-shake. Albeit perhaps not much. Also, best, how?!

Pardon me for ignoring the details but I didnt consider reading the Exifs....

At any cost sharp or unsharp... I was emphasizing more on composition here... and in that regard I'm pretty sure you cant deny it is! It has the best subject-background differentiation and good lighting.
The Airport has too much lossy light from the window (lossy as in low contrast) and underexposure in certain areas..
The statue... well It took me considerable amount of time deciphering what the photographer wanted to show since I had to put in effort to differentiate the subject from the background..

OP: You shoot in RAW or JPEGs... I think I'm getting what you dislike about your camera...

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Pardon me for ignoring the details but I didnt consider reading the Exifs....

At any cost sharp or unsharp... I was emphasizing more on composition here... and in that regard I'm pretty sure you cant deny it is! It has the best subject-background differentiation and good lighting.
The Airport has too much lossy light from the window (lossy as in low contrast) and underexposure in certain areas..
The statue... well It took me considerable amount of time deciphering what the photographer wanted to show since I had to put in effort to differentiate the subject from the background..

OP: You shoot in RAW or JPEGs... I think I'm getting what you dislike about your camera...

highest jpeg setting and i also bumped up the sharpness in the d40 settings
I want to be able to take crisp shots of mountains, scenery and close up detailed objects
Im reading this btw
http://www.dslrtips.com/lens_guide/Lens_buying_guide.shtml

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Try and shoot in RAW.... I know many people will retort here saying that JPEGs are just as fine.... but 'Each and Every Single Photo you take is a Darling Image'... delete 99% of them if you have to but dont waste your Camera's efficiency after paying thrice more if you want it to do what a pns does....

Even iPhoto has Ok.. Ok.. capabilities with RAW..... try and get Ps elements or Aperture if you can... EDIT EDIT EDIT.... increase the saturation, Hue Boost, sharpness, etc... to the best of your judgements! Learn what a histogram is and you'll learn the art of editing...

Crispness again is something unique.... Reduce ISO... dont extend above 800. Your camera applies Noise reduction which is nothing but a modified algorithm of Gaussian Blur.... note gaussian BLUR.. means you'll lose out on crispness trying to aim for less grainy images!

Lenses are another thing... primes are way better in sharpness as compared to Zooms.... but this probably shouldnt concern you so much!

Camera Shake is another.... slow shutter speeds tend to cause blur with even the slightest of camera shake... get a tripod. I know its cumbersome and you'll feel 'weird' and stuff but its inevitable... as and when you delve in photography (I bet you will) with time lapse and HDR its inevitable.... lastly get a VR lens.... the 18-55mm VR is a good cheap option!

Finally..... as a beginner you're demanding too much from yourself! Million dollar photographs aren't produced in one day neither are million dollar photographers....
PRACTICE..... my only advice! Practice.... read stuff on the net and implement! Google Photography Composition and study them and implement them... practice! No lens or camera in the World can compensate for this one thing PRACTICE!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
THanks again haha, i have a gorillapod slr zoom and a big tripod too :D i use them sometimes (yes long exposures) i think im all set with camera gear except external flash.. i have Aperture,PS Cs4,LR, and iPhoto 09 + photomatix pro

I really want to get a new lens now hehe, i know it will give me more influence to get better.. now im thinking macro, tele macro and 50mm :D:p

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Learn!!!

I know we're not supposed to be encouraging you to buy equipment that currently you don't really know how to use, but the nikon 60mm AF-S micro is a pretty excellent macro lens. Give yourself a year first.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Try and shoot in RAW.... I know many people will retort here saying that JPEGs are just as fine.... but 'Each and Every Single Photo you take is a Darling Image'...

I'm going to second this motion. Shooting in RAW gives you everything your camera's sensor has to offer. Conversely, if you shoot in JPEG, you're getting a mere subset of what the sensor can record, and you're letting the camera make some important decisions for you. Since you have the software to make use of the RAW images, you really ought to. Then you are in control.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I really want to get a new lens now hehe, i know it will give me more influence to get better.. now im thinking macro, tele macro and 50mm

Thats why I'm neutral on this whole 'lens v/s composition/technique' argument!
you're a beginner and you'll learn about composition with PRACTICE sooner or later. What you require is motivation.... and there's nothing more motivating than a new expensive piece of equipment!
But the problem remains you lose out to easily.... please dont be disheartened with your results.... practice!

Macro... hmmm interesting choice IF you're appreciate nature and have patience! Macro requires a lot of work and imagination... but its the only thing in this World that limitless! A good macro lens (60mm suggested above specially) can also double up as an excellent portrait lens.

i have Aperture,PS Cs4,LR, and iPhoto 09 + photomatix pro

THEN WHY ARE YOU SHOOTING JPEG WITH A DSLR?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Macro... hmmm interesting choice IF you're appreciate nature and have patience! Macro requires a lot of work and imagination... but its the only thing in this World that limitless! A good macro lens (60mm suggested above specially) can also double up as an excellent portrait lens.

Yes, the versatility of the lens was why I suggested it. I've used the sigma 50mm Macro as a wander-around lens and it was terrifically better than the 18-70DX I was also using at the time. That lens isn't AF-S (HSM) or at least, it wasn't then. Hence my suggestion of the nikon 60mm. I'm not sure that it's much more expensive than the 50mm AF-S, though, of course, it's a fair bit slower (two stops, but still faster than the kit lenses![OP - aperture I mean]).

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Thats why I'm neutral on this whole 'lens v/s composition/technique' argument!
you're a beginner and you'll learn about composition with PRACTICE sooner or later. What you require is motivation.... and there's nothing more motivating than a new expensive piece of equipment!
But the problem remains you lose out to easily.... please dont be disheartened with your results.... practice!

THEN WHY ARE YOU SHOOTING JPEG WITH A DSLR?

I had to because my sd card was small and as you know raw is alot bigger in size but know i got a 16gb sd so i will shot in raw, i did see i have the option to use both at the same time. Yes i love macro
There is this sigma for a good price
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-70mm...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1233209648&sr=1-4
only $325 at adorama

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
I had to because my sd card was small and as you know raw is alot bigger in size but know i got a 16gb sd so i will shot in raw, i did see i have the option to use both at the same time. Yes i love macro
There is this sigma for a good price
http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-17-70mm...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1233209648&sr=1-4

NEVER EVER buy a hemi macro lens.. specially being a zoom that it is... not specific... keep away.. if you want a lens in majority for Macro.... stick to a true macro 1:1 magnification with all floating elements (for focus correction) and a USM/HSM/AF-S etc lens......

The Sigma is a good ZOOM lens and provides customers with a 'casual' side lined macro 'ability'!

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
NEVER EVER buy a hemi macro lens.. specially being a zoom that it is... not specific... keep away.. if you want a lens in majority for Macro.... stick to a true macro 1:1 magnification with all floating elements (for focus correction) and a USM/HSM/AF-S etc lens......

The Sigma is a good ZOOM lens and provides customers with a 'casual' side lined macro 'ability'!

Agreed. I actually use that lens most of the time, but it isn't a real macro lens. It is however a lot of fun!

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Oh yes. Are you interested in macrophotography then?!

Dude im interested in everything trust me! i love every possible technic. thats why its also hard for me to decide what i want, im not rich :D
I dont have a specific way of shooting my photos, i basically try everything and thats what i love.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Dude im interested in everything trust me! i love every possible technic. thats why its also hard for me to decide what i want, im not rich :D
I dont have a specific way of shooting my photos, i basically try everything and thats what i love.

You might find that it's possible to have some fun with a close-up filter on your 18-55. It's not going to get you as close, or give you the quality, but it's good clean fun! And potentially inexpensive.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Dude im interested in everything trust me! i love every possible technic. thats why its also hard for me to decide what i want, im not rich
Aaah okay, well you will love Macro thats for sure cause you can capture soo much without having to travel far. Here is a tip someone tell me before, don't just blankly capture and press you shutter continuously, think before taking the photo, think of which angle will make it interesting or settings or if permission allows it, try a few settings of the same shots. Well dont need to get a new gear yet though, understand your current gear first before indulging into a newer gear =)

Good luck! I like your attitude :thumbsup:

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Thanks to all for taking the time a writing here and giving great tips to me and other members here!

TenPoundMonkey

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
VA
THanks again haha, i have a gorillapod slr zoom and a big tripod too :D i use them sometimes (yes long exposures) i think im all set with camera gear except external flash.. i have Aperture,PS Cs4,LR, and iPhoto 09 + photomatix pro

I really want to get a new lens now hehe, i know it will give me more influence to get better.. now im thinking macro, tele macro and 50mm :D:p

You bought over $1,500 worth of software? Do you know how to use it all? You are all over the place with software and lenses and new cameras... Take a deep breath- you have more than enough stuff, take some time and learn how to use it all. Buying more isn't the answer... use your money on a class at a local college on photography.

I had to because my sd card was small and as you know raw is alot bigger in size but know i got a 16gb sd so i will shot in raw, i did see i have the option to use both at the same time. Yes i love macro.

Don't bother shooting both at once, go RAW and learn to adjust in aperture. SD cards are cheap, no excuse for that... plus, do you really need the space for 1,200+ shots (RAW on a 16G card) in a single shooting session?

I'm not rich :D

If you are serious about this thread at all, then you've really spent a lot on strange things- all that software money would have been better spent on classes or books... You've got all the basics, don't sweat the purchases, good photos are good photos- it doesn't matter what you take them with.

Jack of all trades, master of none? Again, take a breath and try concentrating on one or two styles at a time. practice, practice, practice and learn. It's all OK, expect to throw away 99 out of 100 shots. Take your time and think about your pics, it'll come along.

keep it up.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Yes i use all that software and not only for my photos..
RAW it is then :D

I know you guys will get mad at me but i just had to :D :D
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
I know that prices will go up in a few days so i got this for $430 on amazon

30077942173b26682cf9uc0.jpg

not my pic, this lens has a crazy 77mm filter!

Im learning and learning thanks again ;)

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Good decision! It's one of the best pro grade 50mm prime at 1.4 not only for Nikon but everyone else out there... It's the newest build out thee with really good optics! It's also a great vfm... The only problem.... It's not 'as' light as primes are supposed to be!

Good choice! You'll enjoy it...(hopefully)

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Yes i use all that software and not only for my photos..
RAW it is then :D

I know you guys will get mad at me but i just had to :D :D
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

30077942173b26682cf9uc0.jpg

not my pic, this lens has a crazy 77mm filter!

Im learning and learning thanks again ;)

Dear Lord, have fun with that. My only 50mm is a 1.8 AIS (manual focus) which I picked up in a charity shop with a nikon FM and 28mm for £50... and you say you're not rich! (I'm joking, in tone, though it's true).

Enjoy, perhaps post some pictures when you've got some you're happy (/unhappy) with.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area

It's Nikon that is raising lens and accessory prices on Feb 1, not Sigma. Have fun with your new toy.

(edit: wish I knew why that thing is so large - it's nearly the same size and weight as my 85 f1.4. Nikon's new 50 is about half the weight and an inch shorter.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.