Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
It's Nikon that is raising lens and accessory prices on Feb 1, not Sigma. Have fun with your new toy.

(edit: wish I knew why that thing is so large - it's nearly the same size and weight as my 85 f1.4. Nikon's new 50 is about half the weight and an inch shorter.)

Sigma is raising prices also.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
It's Nikon that is raising lens and accessory prices on Feb 1, not Sigma. Have fun with your new toy.

(edit: wish I knew why that thing is so large - it's nearly the same size and weight as my 85 f1.4. Nikon's new 50 is about half the weight and an inch shorter.)

It is pretty confusing isn't it. There must be some design reason for it, I assume they didn't just say 'we need the biggest front element we can make for $400'.

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
It is pretty confusing isn't it. There must be some design reason for it, I assume they didn't just say 'we need the biggest front element we can make for $400'.

The review of this lens on dpreview seems to indicate it's due to an effort to reduce vignetting. Dunno...

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Well we wont be angry at you cause you got one of the right next lens every beginner should have ;). After owning a zoom lens, most people will ask a beginner to get a 50mm prime to get use with the idea of having a fix focal length lens, I now know most people who never use primes but owns a DSLR dont like primes cause it requires you to change lens often but I'll say if you need low light performance and very sharp image, then primes is the only way to go :)

MacJenn

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
I heard mixed reviews on that Sigma lens. Some say it is pretty nice, while others say it isn't worth near the cost they want for it. For the money I would buy the new Nikon one. Sigma has been raising prices, but lowering quality in a lot of their lenses recently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.