Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I know this. But it would be awesome if they did. Include a WiFi module, build an "app store" that has ALL the NES games for sale for a few bucks each. I would pay more than $60 dollars for that! Even more so if it was a SNES version!

For that you have the Wii and Wii U Virtual Console. You have plenty of NES games (a LOT of them) for $5 each. Putting this in a console like this is a big f-you to the Wii U's Virtual Console, considering the console is already selling like crap.

I don't know if the regular Wii store is still open, but you can buy used Wii's at Gamestop for $30 after rebate (and these models have Internet access).

Wii U is still MIA - these systems are now more costly than regular XBox One models new/refurbished...

Like the Atari, if the NES retro is successful, look for more versions to come (with just a different set of games).

As for me, I didn't get back into videogames until after college and the NEC Turbografix and 3DO, and didn't get an NES until I became a collector...

Since I'm a "purist" - I prefer playing on an original console with the physical copy of the game and the original controller, using an old TV tube... :eek:

There are collectors out there known as "preservationist" and will collect working consoles only to preserve and won't use them on a regular basis - they prefer using emulators (I don't blame them - once these original consoles burn-out they're gone forever... :()

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Yes, the Wii Shop is still open, even though the Wi-Fi Connection has been terminated. I haven't checked in a while, but I do remember purchasing two games in Late 2014 and when I *ahem* transferred the content from the Wii onto the Wii U I got in January this year, I definitely entered the shop to download the transferal software needed.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
For someone who bought the Intellivision Flashback (I had an Intellivision and still regard it as the best out of the big 3 80s game consoles), and was flirting with the ColecoVision Flashback but passed on the Atari Flashback, I can say I am interested in this unit.

However, I believe someone already answered the question regarding original controllers, as I also still have the original NES plus a few games (when NES started to get big, I started to miss my Intellivision, which I sold to buy the NES; my biggest regret). But the NES I bought came with the robot for use with Gyromite, as well as the gun controller.

With that, I notice the lack of those games, plus probably my 3rd most played game from the NES (3rd to Super Mario Brothers and Mike Tyson's Punch Out): Gumshoe. Who knows if they'll make that; more than likely they will not.

Plus, how could they pass up on including proverbially the godfather of all cheat code games: Contra? I mean, they could include the code in Wreck-It Ralph, but not in the remake of the NES?

Anyway, I might consider it, just for the sake of raising my children so that they know the classics before getting into any gaming on their own.

BL.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
For someone who bought the Intellivision Flashback (I had an Intellivision and still regard it as the best out of the big 3 80s game consoles)...

I would just like to say that the Atari 2600 is the better of the consoles as far as number of great playable games and play-ability (that disc/keypad was a pain).... :eek:

It won that console gen...

;)

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I would just like to say that the Atari 2600 is the better of the consoles as far as number of great playable games and play-ability (that disc/keypad was a pain).... :eek:

It won that console gen...

;)

And to counter that, here's George Plimpton on baseball. A far cry from Mousterpiece Theatre, indeed:

And for the epic battle, we have this.

Granted, most of the games I had, and a friend of mine had both. But while NES ultimately won out, Intellivision had it over Atari in terms of graphics.

Oh. you'll also be happy to know that both the original Atari and Intellivision developers are still together and active.

BL.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
And to counter that, here's George Plimpton on baseball. A far cry from Mousterpiece Theatre, indeed:

And for the epic battle, we have this.

Granted, most of the games I had, and a friend of mine had both. But while NES ultimately won out, Intellivision had it over Atari in terms of graphics.

Oh. you'll also be happy to know that both the original Atari and Intellivision developers are still together and active.

BL.

Ah, The Console Wars never die....

and then a friend of ours got a new Colecovision - we hated him...

Yeah, saw the Blue Sky Rangers and Activision/Atari Devs at a Retro Videogame Con years back - was able to get some of my Intellivision and Atari/Activision games signed...

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Ah, The Console Wars never die....

If course not. :p

and then a friend of ours got a new Colecovision - we hated him...

I don't blame you. :)

Yeah, saw the Blue Sky Rangers and Activision/Atari Devs at a Retro Videogame Con years back - was able to get some of my Intellivision and Atari/Activision games signed...

Now I'm jealous. I hate you. :D

BL.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Has anyone owned any of these reissue modern consoles? I know there's a few Genesis ones out there. Wondering how the emulation performs.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Has anyone owned any of these reissue modern consoles? I know there's a few Genesis ones out there. Wondering how the emulation performs.

I do own the Intellivision Flashback, and to be honest, I see no difference between the emulation and the original cartridges. This would mainly be because the ROMs from those games were still available and took little time to port, as they had done it before (INTV released Intellivision Lives! for the PC, Mac, and PS2 a few years ago). And since they (who make up the Blue Sky Rangers) owned the rights to most of the games, they were able to keep the ROMs and performance from them intact.

Personally, I even like the fact that doesn't come with any other TV output ports than standard A/V (RCA plugs). That really does give you the classic feel of how it was when we played it when it first came out. Besides.. giving anything like DVI or HDMI output for something that is 8-bit? How much more crisp and sharp do you want this guy to be? :D

intellivision_running_man.gif~c200

BL.

Suture

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2007
Yeah, I like it being kept simple. I have seen some of these junky retro emulators on eBay and upon checking reviews, see a lot of reports of slow down and weird sound issues. I'm thinking Nintendo wouldn't let that happen.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Missed out on securing one of these badboys oh well the second wave should come soon so a must buy in the new year.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I put a preorder down just last week, figured it'd make a nice christmas present! The second wave is set for early December and Nintendo's own site has been really good with accurate dates like that.

I don't even know why I want one. I won't play most games, I own my fave NES games on Wii U and 3DS. But there's just something pulling me in. Still though I'd kill for a SNES model! I really really hope they do one.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
The controller cables for this thing are really short so the console has to be practically right next to you when playing. If I plan on gaming with this on a 32" or 60" TV, would a 10' HDMI cable be long enough for me to sit far enough away to see everything?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Heard the controller cable is ridiculously short. edit:bchreng beat me to it

I hope they do well and people having a good time with them but I won't get one. Wouldn't use it - never use my Wii U as well except for Netflix at times.

Reactions: bchreng

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
The controller cables for this thing are really short so the console has to be practically right next to you when playing. If I plan on gaming with this on a 32" or 60" TV, would a 10' HDMI cable be long enough for me to sit far enough away to see everything?
How far away do you normally sit away from those screens? I would expect a 10' cable would be more than enough, but that's for my preferences.

I suspect that the length of the cable is short for two reasons. One, is that the controller will double as an alternate controller on a Wii and Wii U when connected to a Wiimote, none of which have had long cables in my experience. And two, is to help emulate the original in another way, it's been ages since I have used an NES, but I recall always sitting pretty darn close to it. (I think Playstation with an extended cable is the first time I sat more than 5' from the console itself)

Reactions: bchreng

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
As much as I wish I could be excited by it, to me there's simply openemu and then everything else. It's cool as an ornament though.

Hopefully anyone with a mac knows about openemu by now.
I've been using RetroArch a lot recently and it made me doubt getting the NES Mini. In the end I decided to keep my preorder because of how portable the device is, plus you get that snazzy NES controller.
Just wondering about OpenEmu though. RetroArch is amazing but it's a bit cumbersome on adding games, having looked on OE's site it seems you can just drag+drop games to add to your library? That seems really good! But can you apply shaders to OpenEmu? It's retroarchs strongest feature by far but I'm just put off by its poor organisation.

http://imgur.com/a/ppAjI

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
OpenEmu has shaders although probably not as many as RetroArch. Personally, I use OE. It's so easy to use, I have a beautiful library about 75% from drag and drop. Some covers I did a google search and dragged that over. Never had any issues with emulation.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
OpenEmu has shaders although probably not as many as RetroArch. Personally, I use OE. It's so easy to use, I have a beautiful library about 75% from drag and drop. Some covers I did a google search and dragged that over. Never had any issues with emulation.
I just tried it an hour ago and whilst it's pretty (an iTunes for roms), I don't like how you can only use one shader for the whole thing at a time. And I don't like that you can't load it up and navigate fullscreen with a controller. I run Retroarch on a MBP next to my TV with retro bluetooth controllers so OE wouldn't work for me.

But I wish it did work great for me. I love the way it all looks and the drag+drop interface. And I don't like how cumbersome Retroarch is, and how long it takes to get 'just right'. Seems neither are perfect.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
There is no dogbone controller support for the MiniNES. That's quite disappointing.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Gumshoe!!!!! One of my favorite NES games.

With that, I notice the lack of those games, plus probably my 3rd most played game from the NES (3rd to Super Mario Brothers and Mike Tyson's Punch Out): Gumshoe. Who knows if they'll make that; more than likely they will not.

BL.

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Here in the U.S. it seems no one is doing pre-orders. Possibly due to the hype of the system?

Trying to confirm locations for release day. Hoping I can secure the system and extra controller with ease that morning.

Gamestop now has it listed on their website...But won't be able to purchase till the 11th.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Been playing emulators too long to find any interest in this. However I know A LOT of people in real life that are going to get it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Been playing emulators too long to find any interest in this. However I know A LOT of people in real life that are going to get it.
Same, and I've got all the original hardware still set up. But I dunno why there's still some appeal for this! I guess part of it is pressure for them to make more for other consoles like the SNES and N64!

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
It's the nostalgia aspect of it.

Seems it's going to be a challenge to try and purchase this bad boy next Friday. Hoping I don't have to lineup for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.