Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Received mine. Damn it's cute. However, the controller cable is ridiculously short, less than a meter. Already ordered an extension cable (1.8m).

Don't pay the inflated prices on eBay etc. Just wait.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Received mine. Damn it's cute. However, the controller cable is ridiculously short, less than a meter. Already ordered an extension cable (1.8m).

Don't pay the inflated prices on eBay etc. Just wait.
may I ask where you've got it from?

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I been trying to find one of these in OK Not had any luck anywhere.

I'm a player at $60 to relive my child hood. I however refuse to succumb to the ~$2-300 eBay/Amazon prices

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Mine arrived! It's wonderful in a way I never thought possible!

First of all yeah it's really tiny and lightweight. The package it came in was deceptively light. The controller isn't exactly like a NES, it's almost the same but the buttons are slightly more squishy than mine. For comparisons sake my 8BitDo NES controller has the same feel as the original controller (just with more buttons). It works with my Wii VC Controller too, I haven't tried any others yet. The Reset button is the "home" button, and you can make 4 save slots per game. You can arrange games by playtime, multiplayer support, publisher, release date, etc. The CRT display effect (optional) is VERY good, very authentic - I'm not sure what TV it's modelled off though.

Overall it screams quality. It's nothing like the Mega Drive Ultimate (I think it's called) that has awful controllers and video output. Theres no way Nintendo could have improved this, other than to allow for additional games to be installed. I'm interested in the wording of the box too - it says "30 games pre-installed". Makes it sound like we'll be able to install more later?

All the games are wonderful. I'm finding myself playing random games that I've never even heard of before. Its warped me right back to that feeling I got from playing cousin's NES as a young kid, and just playing random games and not knowing a thing about them.

As I said before a SNES model that has had the same amount of attention as this would be brilliant.

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Probably not - these retrosystems you generally can't.

Hoping for a cart slot like the Genesis model but that's wishful thinking as well...
I'm hoping for some kind of update via the Micro USB port, where Nintendo could sell big chunks of additional games. But yeah it's wishful thinking. Just surprised by the lack of Mario Tennis and Golf. You'd think those would be included!

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
Man, the demand for this is through the roof. People actually camped out at Best Buy overnight in below freezing temps, and they are on Ebay for average prices of $280-$300!

Definitely wanted to get one for myself and one for the kids, but there's no way it's happening before Christmas. Nintendo kind of dropped the ball on the supply for this.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Man, the demand for this is through the roof. People actually camped out at Best Buy overnight in below freezing temps, and they are on Ebay for average prices of $280-$300!

Definitely wanted to get one for myself and one for the kids, but there's no way it's happening before Christmas. Nintendo kind of dropped the ball on the supply for this.

Most of the people are eBay flippers.... :(

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012

The last number I read was Nintendo moved 200K units. My first thought was, wow, Apple moves that in an hour :rolleyes: This thing is made entirely of off the shelf components, save the housing. Does Nintendo not have the capacity to build these things, or they did really screw up the demand projection that badly?

I really wanted one for myself, being that the NES is the only console I never owned (not counting the consoles prior to the NES). I'm no longer interested due to the lack of supply.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
The last number I read was Nintendo moved 200K units. My first thought was, wow, Apple moves that in an hour :rolleyes: This thing is made entirely of off the shelf components, save the housing. Does Nintendo not have the capacity to build these things, or they did really screw up the demand projection that badly?

I really wanted one for myself, being that the NES is the only console I never owned (not counting the consoles prior to the NES). I'm no longer interested due to the lack of supply.

Yeah, it seems so weird. I definitely won't want it after Christmas. It was the perfect gift, but after the holidays, what's the point?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've been using the controller that came with mine for Wii U games too! It's really nice actually. I get why it has such a short wire too - because it would also attach to a Wiimote and it'd be daft having that so long. I wish it displayed the play time for each game too, would also have been nice to have achievements. Just keep it all really contained and full of things to unlock. But that's just what I'd do :)

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, it seems so weird. I definitely won't want it after Christmas. It was the perfect gift, but after the holidays, what's the point?
Exactly! And the closer we get to the switch launch, the less people are going to want it, too. Talk about a screw up.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
nes-classic-edition.png

It looks like it's sold out for Christmas and instead of paying approx $60, scalpers are trying to sell it for $200.

I was all excited about this (Nintendo Link) until I realized it's missing Mario Karts 64.

SI_N64_MarioKart64.jpg

This is the game I really want and woiuld be thrilled if Nintendo came out with an N64 Classic Console. :D
It just so happens I have a working Nintendo 64, which looks like crap on my 46" TV in my office and unfortunately my controllers are either shot or on the verge of being shot.

Sure I'd look forward to playing Mario Brothers again, even checked out emulators, but I read some things that made me hesitant to run an emulator on Mac or Windows. I also wonder about how friendly the controller or what kind of controllers would be best for them? I do have a USB XBox 360 controller, that maybe might work. Anyone delving?

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Why would you think Mario Kart 64 would be included with the NES Classic? The original NES was released in 1983, and Mario Kart 64 was released in 1996 for the Nintendo 64. Between that time there was the reign of the Super NES, which IMO is overall the better of the two when it comes to gameplay.

I think next autumn there's a decent chance we'll see an SNES Classic Edition, and perhaps a year or two after that an N64 Classic Edition. The primary hurdles are game licensing. But given the success of the NES Classic, I can see more older publishers on board wanting a small cut of the sales. Publishers that are still around are the tricky thing, because some of them still sell older games for more on xbox arcade or virtual console. I think something like an SNES Classic might be priced around $99 and might have more games since there were so many for that system. Hopefully the controller cord is long enough.

As for the NES Classic, it's worth every penny. I got mine yesterday morning at Best Buy. They had 34 units available and I walked up around 6:30 as lucky number 33 in line. Only had to wait a few minutes (which was nice since the temps were in the teens) until they handed out tickets, grabbed some breakfast and waited at home until 8am when they opened. It's a great device but the controller is really freaking short. I also wish I didn't have to hit the reset button to go to the main menu. I should be able to hold down start+select or something for a few seconds to go to the "home" screen. They make cable extenders but Best Buy was all out of them, despite the ticket they handed me having ads for such cable extenders.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
My advice...throw your nostalgia in the trash, and get Mario Kart 8 (& a Wii U, if you don't already have that).

Mario Kart 8 rocks...you haven't really raced Yoshi Valley until you've done it in Mario Kart 8 (I will admit, the Mario Kart 64 Rainbow Road is still better than MK8's, but MK8 does come close...)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
My advice...throw your nostalgia in the trash, and get Mario Kart 8 (& a Wii U, if you don't already have that).

Mario Kart 8 rocks...you haven't really raced Yoshi Valley until you've done it in Mario Kart 8 (I will admit, the Mario Kart 64 Rainbow Road is still better than MK8's, but MK8 does come close...)

Mario Kart 64 is unsurpassed. However as is, it's tough on the eye playing it on a modern wide screen TV. It looks like controllers for it are still being sold. (link).

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Thinking about picking one of these up sometimes after Christmas. But there's no way I'm paying more than the £49.99 RRP. The prices people are paying just to get one before Christmas are insane. I'll just wait until stock is plentiful again.

Reactions: Huntn

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I've been using the controller that came with mine for Wii U games too! It's really nice actually. I get why it has such a short wire too - because it would also attach to a Wiimote and it'd be daft having that so long. I wish it displayed the play time for each game too, would also have been nice to have achievements. Just keep it all really contained and full of things to unlock. But that's just what I'd do :)

I think, in true Nintendo style, the idea was to keep it absolutely bare bones minimum. You literally just get the games, incredibly cheap hardware, sell at a price most people are happy to pay. It's £49.99 here which is an absolute steal, I think. I'm not super into Nintendo but I've always thought their prices were more than fair.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Mario Kart 64 is unsurpassed. However as is, it's tough on the eye playing it on a modern wide screen TV. It looks like controllers for it are still being sold. (link).
WAT.

I'm not even sure how you've managed to do this, lol.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
WAT.

I'm not even sure how you've managed to do this, lol.

Have a working Nintendo64 unit and Mario Kart64 and plug it in to the red, white, and yellow connector thingys on the back of your TV. :D
[doublepost=1482452929][/doublepost]

I wonder... if I play around with the tv's resolution setting if I could improve how it looks? Hmm.

Reactions: blesscheese

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
No…you managed to quote me but had the text from a completely different person :confused:
Have a working Nintendo64 unit and Mario Kart64 and plug it in to the red, white, and yellow connector thingys on the back of your TV. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.