Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Mario Kart 64 is unsurpassed. However as is, it's tough on the eye playing it on a modern wide screen TV. It looks like controllers for it are still being sold. (link).
It was surprised yonks ago by Mario Kart 8 ;)
The only one in the series I haven't properly played are the SNES and GBA ones, always found Mode7 driving strange. MK8 though... the only fault that game has is Nintendo really should have sold a new course every year. It's full of content but the gameplay is so perfect that all it needs is additional stuff.
Come to think of it that multiplayer battle mode was awful!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It was surprised yonks ago by Mario Kart 8 ;)
The only one in the series I haven't properly played are the SNES and GBA ones, always found Mode7 driving strange. MK8 though... the only fault that game has is Nintendo really should have sold a new course every year. It's full of content but the gameplay is so perfect that all it needs is additional stuff.
Come to think of it that multiplayer battle mode was awful!

I played Mario Kart versions after MK64 and always thought the 64 tracks were simply wonderful, with great complimentary music. Maybe it's sentimental. I was always aggravated, they did not carry those tracks forward in later versions of their kart games. Last night I took a couple of turns around the MK64 tracks and was reminded about how hard this game is on my thumb continuously pressing the acceleration button. Plus I need new controllers with proper tension on the joysticks.

latest

Mario Kart 64 Perfection! :) (link)​

However there is hope,
Mario Kart 64 Coming to Wii U Virtual Console in Europe This Week

Now I just have to figure out what the Wii U Virtual Consol is. :) They really want $300 for a Wii U??
[doublepost=1482505242][/doublepost]
My advice...throw your nostalgia in the trash, and get Mario Kart 8 (& a Wii U, if you don't already have that).

Mario Kart 8 rocks...you haven't really raced Yoshi Valley until you've done it in Mario Kart 8 (I will admit, the Mario Kart 64 Rainbow Road is still better than MK8's, but MK8 does come close...)

Since it looks like Mario Kart 64 made it to the Wii U in Europe, this looks like a viable option for the future ( in the US). I assume the resolution has been updated for big TVs. Wait, is this console still being made? That might be questionable or if they are bringing out a new consol to replace it.

Last edited:
Reactions: twietee

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I played Mario Kart versions after MK64 and always thought the 64 tracks were simply wonderful, with great complimentary music. Maybe it's sentimental. I was always aggravated, they did not carry those tracks forward in later versions of the games. Last night I took a couple of turns around the track and was reminded about how hard this game is on my thumb pressing the acceleration button. Plus I need new controllers with proper tension on the joysticks.

latest

Mario Kart 64 Perfection! :) (link)​
Some tracks have transferred over! Ok there aren't many, but also there have been some outstanding tracks in the games between 64 and Mario Kart 8 that are included. My fave track in 8 is a remake of the N64 Rainbow Road track, I've literally played it for hours just shaving off milliseconds from my time.

Now I just have to figure out what the Wii U Virtual Consol is. :) They really want $300 for a Wii U??
[doublepost=1482505242][/doublepost]
Yes, it's their current latest console. They're much cheaper if you shop around. The Virtual Console is just a name for buying older games on newer platforms, basically just a grouping name on their store. I don't think anyone else adds a moniker for older games... it's very "Nintendo" alright!

Since it looks like Mario Kart 64 made it to the Wii U in Europe, this looks like a viable option for the future ( in the US). I assume the resolution has been updated for big TVs. Wait, is this console still being made? That might be questionable or if they are bringing out a new consol to replace it.
There's a new one out next year but we don't know much about it, but with previous Nintendo machines if you owned a Virtual Console game on one platform and they released a new one, then you'd pay a small upgrade fee. It's usually a £1-2 here.

But yeah we don't know if Mario Kart 8 will be ported to the new Nintendo console out next year. They've never just done a straight port of a Mario Kart game in the past, but they might just do that considering how poorly the Wii U sold compared to their expectations. We just don't know!

7 was great on the 3DS too! I don't know how much you know about the 3DS, but theres a really neat feature where if your 3DS is near another one it'll pull down data for games. So for Mario Kart 7 it'd get ghost data from other racers to play any time later.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Some tracks have transferred over! Ok there aren't many, but also there have been some outstanding tracks in the games between 64 and Mario Kart 8 that are included. My fave track in 8 is a remake of the N64 Rainbow Road track, I've literally played it for hours just shaving off milliseconds from my time.

Yes, it's their current latest console. They're much cheaper if you shop around. The Virtual Console is just a name for buying older games on newer platforms, basically just a grouping name on their store. I don't think anyone else adds a moniker for older games... it's very "Nintendo" alright!

There's a new one out next year but we don't know much about it, but with previous Nintendo machines if you owned a Virtual Console game on one platform and they released a new one, then you'd pay a small upgrade fee. It's usually a £1-2 here.

But yeah we don't know if Mario Kart 8 will be ported to the new Nintendo console out next year. They've never just done a straight port of a Mario Kart game in the past, but they might just do that considering how poorly the Wii U sold compared to their expectations. We just don't know!

7 was great on the 3DS too! I don't know how much you know about the 3DS, but theres a really neat feature where if your 3DS is near another one it'll pull down data for games. So for Mario Kart 7 it'd get ghost data from other racers to play any time later.

The Wii U's being advertised here run $300-400 new, which might be due to lack of availability- not sure. I love that racing, but doubt I'll pay $300 for it, instead I'd get a PS4 or XB1 and keep my fond memories. ;)

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan
The Wii U's being advertised here run $300-400 new, which might be due to lack of availability- not sure. I love that racing, but doubt I'll pay $300 for it, instead I'd get a PS4 or XB1 and keep my fond memories. ;)

Nah its been around $300 for a while. At least at the PX on base I work at. Not lack of supply, the pallet of them been there a while.

Nintendo hasn't learned to drop price to entice sails. even $ony and M$ do that. Or....they throw in special editions with free games. Granted M$ and sony can do the loss leader setup with their subs to make up some money. And, well, they actually have a wide library of games worth it to play so some kick back from that I am sure.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I have no idea what the switch is.
It's Nintendos next console. It's a tablet-looking central device that has two slots on the sides for putting controllers. It also comes with a dock that charges the unit and lets you play games with more GPU speed due to some cooling technique. So it's both a home console and a portable. It's only got a single screen so Wii U and 3DS games are off the table, but Virtual Console (their emulated older games) have the potential to transfer over - if its anything like the Wii U they'll charge a small fee if you already own the title.

One of its coolest features is being able to put the tablet (it has a stand to prop it up) on a desk or something and you can play multiplayer games on it with other people using their own controllers, like Mario Kart.

It's a neat console with a neat approach, and its out early next year. http://www.nintendo.com/switch/

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

It's only got a single screen so Wii U and 3DS games are off the table, but Virtual Console (their emulated older games) have the potential to transfer over - if its anything like the Wii U they'll charge a small fee if you already own the title.

It's a neat console with a neat approach, and its out early next year. http://www.nintendo.com/switch/

I don't think Wii U games are off the table. Some games can be played without the 2nd screen and only need the Wii U Pro Controller...

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
Interested in the Switch. Also interested to see if something comes into fruition with Nintendo submitting a patent request for a SNES controller.

Could we have a SNES mini this time, next year?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Could we have a SNES mini this time, next year?
With the hardware that's inside the NES Classic they could have done an all-in-one UberNintendo console, with downloadable games. It's stronger than the 3DS, and that can emulate N64.

Sadly that's not the Nintendo way, so you can bet they'll be doing a NES Classic + with an additional 10 games, then a NES Classic 2 with 30 all new ones, then maybe we'll get SNES, all on exactly the same hardware...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I don't think Wii U games are off the table. Some games can be played without the 2nd screen and only need the Wii U Pro Controller...
Technically any off-screen game would work fine but do you think they're going to let you redownload that game free of charge? These are the same folks that charge a Wii to Wii U upgrade fee for VC games. Who knows! (except for Nintendo execs)

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
With the hardware that's inside the NES Classic they could have done an all-in-one UberNintendo console, with downloadable games. It's stronger than the 3DS, and that can emulate N64.

Sadly that's not the Nintendo way, so you can bet they'll be doing a NES Classic + with an additional 10 games, then a NES Classic 2 with 30 all new ones, then maybe we'll get SNES, all on exactly the same hardware...
There is always a market for that, check this bad boy:
http://hyperkin.com/Retron5/

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
The last number I read was Nintendo moved 200K units. My first thought was, wow, Apple moves that in an hour :rolleyes: This thing is made entirely of off the shelf components, save the housing. Does Nintendo not have the capacity to build these things, or they did really screw up the demand projection that badly?

I really wanted one for myself, being that the NES is the only console I never owned (not counting the consoles prior to the NES). I'm no longer interested due to the lack of supply.
Does Apple NOT have the capacity to ramp up more facilities for iPhones and Airpods? They literally have BILLIONS in the bank.

Nah.. I believe what they and other companies who make "hot products" do is between making too much vs. too little, they're better off making too little of them. That way, they don't get stuck with inventory they can't sell, and they get to say "we sold out of that like hotcakes!". Works for them concerning multiple perspectives. :cool:

Reactions: blaine07

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Does Apple NOT have the capacity to ramp up more facilities for iPhones and Airpods? They literally have BILLIONS in the bank.

Nah.. I believe what they and other companies who make "hot products" do is between making too much vs. too little, they're better off making too little of them. That way, they don't get stuck with inventory they can't sell, and they get to say "we sold out of that like hotcakes!". Works for them concerning multiple perspectives. :cool:
Big difference there between Apple and Nintendo as far as dollar amount. Let's say Nintendo built that thing for nothing, and assume they doubled the unit sold since I read that article. That's $24M. Pocket change for company of that size. Apple makes tens of billions of dollars. Whole lot of hype for the relative chump change, which doesn't seem to make too much sense if that's the case.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I just want one of the things
Me too and the mini Super NES that Nintendo plans to make. I just hate the short controllers for this. But for $60 and 30 games? Why the heck not? It is Nintendo making honest bucks. I can always just emulate it on my computer and even used ROMs on my iPod touch, PSP, and laptops before. But why not help Nintendo out in the hardware business?

This is one of the coolest ideas Nintendo had in years. The first two consoles of the Nintendo (NES, SNES) are two of the greatest consoles of all-time they made, by far. After the N64, they never really reached that summit for me. Nintendo is better with simple 2D games. I think N64 had some great games, but graphics have aged terrible compared to even 16-bit with the fog and lack of texture. GameCube was underrated but sold the least until the Wii U. The last two Wiis just never did it for me with controller gimmicks. Hoping the Switch does better.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Saw an article on the NES Mini being hacked over on Eurogamer. So, I thought I'd give it a go! There's a really complex method that involves a load of apps and jumping through hoops, and there's another much simpler one that works much better. I was 1/4 into the complex one before I heard about the other so that was an hour wasted! But yeah, it's done! I modded my NES Mini!

Then I spent the rest of the evening testing it out :) works flawlessly - even Mario Lost Levels that runs as a Famicom Disk is a-okay.

IMG_4165.JPG
[doublepost=1483991256][/doublepost]
Nope to all of that!

Reactions: blaine07 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Saw an article on the NES Mini being hacked over on Eurogamer. So, I thought I'd give it a go! There's a really complex method that involves a load of apps and jumping through hoops, and there's another much simpler one that works much better. I was 1/4 into the complex one before I heard about the other so that was an hour wasted! But yeah, it's done! I modded my NES Mini!

Then I spent the rest of the evening testing it out :) works flawlessly - even Mario Lost Levels that runs as a Famicom Disk is a-okay.

View attachment 682718
[doublepost=1483991256][/doublepost]
Nope to all of that!
What is the simpler way ?

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Have been looking to pick one of these systems up for a while but still have yet to find one sadly.
How is everyone liking them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.