Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I just read an article on the Verge about Nintendo's supply issues. I'm kindof baffled that a company with this much experience in the industry cannot stock any of their current(n3DS/XL, NESc) hardware products anywhere. Anyone aware of any issues that might be holding them back?

Seriously, they're loosing sales and $$$. They need to step up or get a better operations/logistics department.

EDIT>> Source: http://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ssues-sold-out-switch-third-party-grey-market

Techie26

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Still no Mac Friendly Hakchi2?

Ugh. I wish I had a copy of Windows 7 so I could run it on Bootcamp or VM..

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
Yeah and Nintendo will now probably lose sales since many people will just get their Nintendo fix by buying the switch. If they had more to sell a month or two ago, people would have bought them without hesitation.
Definitely. Especially given how many people would have bought more as xmas presents for other people. But that ship has sailed now. While in some respects, Nintendo still made their money, as the scalpers having bought them all means that Nintendo sold literally every piece. (However, the bigger picture is that if more of the official ones continued to be available, myself and many others would have bought them for relatives, etc., which is something that would simply be too expensive to do now).

I can understand fans reluctantly buying scalped ones for themselves just so as not to miss out, but there is no way they would pay a scalped prices other than for their own copy. (So they missed out big-time in that respect). To be honest though, it looks like Nintendo have sort of abandoned the whole NES Classic project anyway. (they don't seem to be bringing them back out, at least none seem to have been made available even on their own website ever since). So I'm guessing that it was mainly only designed as just a stop-gap to lead up to the Switch release. (though I could be wrong on that, and you never know if they will make them available again just before next xmas). But from a strategy point of view, it's understandable why they are not in a huge hurry to do that just yet (so that it doesn't take sales away from the Switch, which they will make more money on).

Undoubtedly this did annoy alot of people though. And while I think Nintendo are still going to do extremely well on the Switch, so while they missed out on millions of additional NES Classic sales, no matter how many people that got annoyed with them and may refuse to order the Switch out of protest, this has by no means hurt them (and in many ways has probably helped them in the sense that fear of loss is a powerful thing, so many people who missed out on the NES Classic won't make the mistake of hesitating the moment that they saw the Switch come out). So while it's a despicable way to treat customers, they've probably done pretty well out of this!

It's probably too late now for them to re-release NES Classics though (at least not yet). It seems that many people who wanted one have already started to dabble in making better modded versions that support more games anyway, as many clever people on this thread have already demonstrated. (and I can't say I blame them). But I do know there will be many people that will still want to own an original still though, so if Nintendo are smart, re-releasing it before this coming xmas would be a good way to cash in on that (and also a way to teach the scalpers a lesson!)

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hmm, not sure I understand. Modding it doesn't remove any existing feature. The added NES games show up on the same menu with artwork, metadata etc. They're still original as it were.

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
Hmm, not sure I understand. Modding it doesn't remove any existing feature. The added NES games show up on the same menu with artwork, metadata etc. They're still original as it were.
I see what you mean now. (I know alot of people have been building their own using things like raspberry pi, etc.) But modding an actual proper nes console to have more games on it like you're doing definitely sounds like the nicest way to do it. (of course anyone who wasn't lucky enough to get an original console would not be able to solve the supply issues problem) but being able to do more stuff to it would sorta make the cost of having to pay a scalper for one would at least make it feel a little but like you were getting more for your money. (if you see what I mean). Still though, I think what the scalpers did was despicable, so I'm reluctant to encourage them, as they ruined it for alot of people.

Modding sounds cool though. So thanks for sharing how you did it!

On a side note, love your tagline about staying in the EU (me too btw, so glad to know some of us still exist!) Which country are you from btw? (if you don't mind me asking)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I see what you mean now. (I know alot of people have been building their own using things like raspberry pi, etc.) But modding an actual proper nes console to have more games on it like you're doing definitely sounds like the nicest way to do it. (of course anyone who wasn't lucky enough to get an original console would not be able to solve the supply issues problem) but being able to do more stuff to it would sorta make the cost of having to pay a scalper for one would at least make it feel a little but like you were getting more for your money. (if you see what I mean). Still though, I think what the scalpers did was despicable, so I'm reluctant to encourage them, as they ruined it for alot of people.

Modding sounds cool though. So thanks for sharing how you did it!

On a side note, love your tagline about staying in the EU (me too btw, so glad to know some of us still exist!) Which country are you from btw? (if you don't mind me asking)

Oh no I can't stand the scalping concept. I get some people might be desperate for the money if you already own one and can now get 2-3 more for it than what you paid. But to deliberately do it is shady.

I'm in England. Looking to move out though! Part of my fighting to stay in involves moving to a mainland Europe country if I can. I just love the idea of being able to move around without borders.

Reactions: GeekishlyGreek

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
Oh no I can't stand the scalping concept. I get some people might be desperate for the money if you already own one and can now get 2-3 more for it than what you paid. But to deliberately do it is shady.

I'm in England. Looking to move out though! Part of my fighting to stay in involves moving to a mainland Europe country if I can. I just love the idea of being able to move around without borders.
I can't say I blame you. I'm English aswell btw, so pleased to meet you. (Although my username is GeekishlyGreek, that's because Greece is actually where I live, and have been doing so for nearly 10 years now, so is very much where I consider home). -My spouse is Greek, and our daughter was born here, so this is where we will be staying for the rest of our lives). So from someone who has lived what you are hoping to do, one thing that may give you solace, is that the world view in the rest of Europe is very very different in real life to what our British papers and even TV outlets try to have us all believe. (I'm fortunate in the sense that I get to see what's going on first-hand from both sides of the pond).

The good news is that while every country has always had a variety of issues with decisions that get made at EU level, it's only Britain that think that Free Movement is the bit they want to completely get rid of. Much of the rest of Europe are actually fighting to keep it, and the sentiment for that amongst the majority of its citizens is actually very strong. The main difference is that for a European, the right to live, work, study, and travel freely between each European country is as normal to us in mainland Europe as it is for a British citizen to travel freely between two British cities. (imagine how weird it would seem if one day somebody suggested that we're going to ban people from traveling freely between, say, Yorkshire and Manchester without applying for a visa, or from any district to another for that matter). -Not only would such a suggestion seem so bizarre that no-one would ever suggest such a thing in the first place, but the amount of citizens that would be negatively affected by such a restriction would mean that they would never let their leaders get away with trying to impose such a thing. (...imagine you live in one city but work in another, or you are married to someone who was born in a different city, or your university, school, or place of work was in a different district to the one you currently reside in, what mayhem that would cause if you were suddenly confined to only being allowed in the one where your house is).

So this should give you some idea of how it is between EU countries and its citizens. (and more importantly, how and why the mindset is completely different from both sides of the pond). So both viewpoints are completely understandable as to how everyone ended up with the differing perspectives that they now have. (The reason our media tell it they way they do though, is because they are looking at the world through the way it seems if you've only ever seen it from the way it looks through their eyes). But the reality is that you're nowhere near as alone as it might feel sometimes. If it's any consolation, life outside of the UK is something that I do not ever regret. So if it's something you feel passionately about, then trust your instincts! 10 years on, and I have never looked back!

Last edited:

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
I'm still angry I don't have one of these ‍♂️
Yeah, it's understandable.I'm sure in time the prices will come down though. Even the scalpers could only get away with it while it was in peak demand, but those days are slipping way from them as time goes by, so there will reach a point where they will have to face the prospect of either lowering their prices, or simply never making their money back. ;)

Reactions: blaine07

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
I played Mario Kart versions after MK64 and always thought the 64 tracks were simply wonderful, with great complimentary music. Maybe it's sentimental. I was always aggravated, they did not carry those tracks forward in later versions of their kart games. Last night I took a couple of turns around the MK64 tracks and was reminded about how hard this game is on my thumb continuously pressing the acceleration button. Plus I need new controllers with proper tension on the joysticks.

latest

Mario Kart 64 Perfection! :) (link)​

However there is hope,
Mario Kart 64 Coming to Wii U Virtual Console in Europe This Week

Now I just have to figure out what the Wii U Virtual Consol is. :) They really want $300 for a Wii U??
[doublepost=1482505242][/doublepost]

Since it looks like Mario Kart 64 made it to the Wii U in Europe, this looks like a viable option for the future ( in the US). I assume the resolution has been updated for big TVs. Wait, is this console still being made? That might be questionable or if they are bringing out a new consol to replace it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. MarioKart was awesome even back then! I do freaking LOVE MarioKart 8 on the WiiU though, for all the above mentioned reasons! Am even more looking forward to the MarioKart 8 Deluxe when it comes out on the Nintendo Switch! (Pretty much the same game, but with loads of added stuff!!)

Anyone else on here going to be getting the Switch version when it comes out?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, I know what you mean. MarioKart was awesome even back then! I do freaking LOVE MarioKart 8 on the WiiU though, for all the above mentioned reasons! Am even more looking forward to the MarioKart 8 Deluxe when it comes out on the Nintendo Switch! (Pretty much the same game, but with loads of added stuff!!)

Anyone else on here going to be getting the Switch version when it comes out?

It depends on how much it costs.

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
MK8 deluxe is
€59.99
£49.99
$50-60
Yeah, I agree that the prices on some of the Nintendo Switch games are a bit steep. The MarioKart ones are still equivalent to what they were charging for the WiiU version though (but some of the Nintendo Switch games are even steeper than that). So I must admit, I do genuinely worry about how much more expensive it's starting to become for gaming. I wouldn't ever pay that much for 3rd party titles though. It's fairly normal that they charge a higher price for the Premium game titles, because they know that alot of us just want those games so bad that we'll pay it even when we feel it is daylight robbery. (am guilty of this for some of them, and will probably always be at their mercy for some of my favorite major release games like Zelda and Mario, for example, but I would never pay what they're asking for lesser interesting games like "1-2 Switch" and "arms", and such like, so will probably skip those entirely unless the prices come down to under 30 bucks).
I was referencing the cost of the consol. :)
The console itself wasn't actually so bad as far as proper consoles go. For example, my WiiU cost me quite a bit over 300 bucks, but the Switch was less than that in some countries. (it does help to shop around though, as some places are trying to get away with charging extortionate prices).

Obviously no console will ever be as cheap as what the NES Classic originally was released at, as that (while really nice, and glad I have one) wasn't the same class of console. So I'm equally as angry that scalpers started jacking the prices up like they did on those. The scalping on that was just sheer insidious greed, and had nothing to do with what it was actually worth. (it's even more infuriating when you know what it was supposed to cost).

Reactions: Huntn and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah, I agree that the prices on some of the Nintendo Switch games are a bit steep. The MarioKart ones are still equivalent to what they were charging for the WiiU version though (but some of the Nintendo Switch games are even steeper than that). So I must admit, I do genuinely worry about how much more expensive it's starting to become for gaming. I wouldn't ever pay that much for 3rd party titles though. It's fairly normal that they charge a higher price for the Premium game titles, because they know that alot of us just want those games so bad that we'll pay it even when we feel it is daylight robbery. (am guilty of this for some of them, and will probably always be at their mercy for some of my favorite major release games like Zelda and Mario, for example, but I would never pay what they're asking for lesser interesting games like "1-2 Switch" and "arms", and such like, so will probably skip those entirely unless the prices come down to under 30 bucks).

Yep MK8 Deluxe, I could justify at that price - with my eyes winced - as I did likely pay more for the Wii U version & DLC packs.

But 1 2 Switch at $50 or Super Street Fighter 2 at $50 !! That's a body blow, and of course they are the kind of games that give a month or 2 will have fallen to $20-25 on Amazon ....

Nintendo is asking a steep price for Switch games, however historically I remember paying similar price for NES/SNES/GENESIS-MEGADRIVE cartridges back in the day (which add inflation would make them even more expensive).

Gaming is definitely not a cheap hobby.

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
Yep MK8 Deluxe, I could justify at that price - with my eyes winced - as I did likely pay more for the Wii U version & DLC packs.

But 1 2 Switch at $50 or Super Street Fighter 2 at $50 !! That's a body blow, and of course they are the kind of games that give a month or 2 will have fallen to $20-25 on Amazon ....

Nintendo is asking a steep price for Switch games, however historically I remember paying similar price for NES/SNES/GENESIS-MEGADRIVE cartridges back in the day (which add inflation would make them even more expensive).

Gaming is definitely not a cheap hobby.
Very True. While I love the Streetfighter games, I actually thought the version of it they are bringing out for the Switch was a little underwhelming. (felt more like a port of the age-old original than an actual new version). -Even the graphics (while improved a tiny bit) made it look really outdated. So not something I will bother with if it remains premium price. (it's just nowhere near the caliber of, say, a Zelda or Mario game!). But if Streetfighter for the Switch becomes priced more like VC titles do (which is more in the league this version belongs in), then that would be okay, so I would probably buy it for nostalgia purposes if it was priced like a non-premium game like it should be.

Most likely they will try it on at the higher price at first just to cash in on the die-hard fans that will buy it at any price. But once those customers have all purchased and sales start to slope off, they will likely bring it down later so that the rest of us will all buy it. (I'd have actually paid premium price for it though if it was a better quality version with enough new stuff to excite me). Just they didn't do a good enough job of this version to be worth it. So I'm in no hurry for this game, and they definitely cannot hold me to ransom over this one they way they can with Zelda.
-Completely different leagues. ;)

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
FINALLY !!!!!!!!!

Confirmation that my NES classic mini will be available to collect tomorrow for €64.99

YAY
That's awesome news! Where did you order yours from btw? It's a good sign that this has happened, as it means that perhaps Nintendo have started catching up with manufacturing more. (so everyone that held off due to (quite rightly) not wanting to pay the scalpers, can hopefully get hold of them through proper channels again). Let's just hope that these remain available now at their proper price, and that the one per customer rule still exists to stop the scalpers taking advantage of everyone again. Would be a shame to see so many people still have to either get ripped of or completely miss out on this, as it really is a great console.

Reactions: MRU

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Yeah I refuse to pay more than retail. It's awesome deal and I'm a player at reasonable price. The $1-2-300 eBay/Amazon is asking is ludicrous. Hopefully this is a good sign they're going to "come around"

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
That's awesome news! Where did you order yours from btw? It's a good sign that this has happened, as it means that perhaps Nintendo have started catching up with manufacturing more. (so everyone that held off due to (quite rightly) not wanting to pay the scalpers, can hopefully get hold of them through proper channels again). Let's just hope that these remain available now at their proper price, and that the one per customer rule still exists to stop the scalpers taking advantage of everyone again. Would be a shame to see so many people still have to either get ripped of or completely miss out on this, as it really is a great console.

Smyths toys in Ireland. The only place that is getting stock and literally only a handful throughout Ireland apparently.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Smyths toys in Ireland. The only place that is getting stock and literally only a handful throughout Ireland apparently.
Are you gonna mod it? It's ridiculously easy to do (and safe, it makes a backup of the file system in case anything goes wrong)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Are you gonna mod it? It's ridiculously easy to do (and safe, it makes a backup of the file system in case anything goes wrong)

Yep that is the prime reason for getting it now. There are number of games that I loved on the NES that aren't included in the built in ones, and so without a doubt I'll be adding those :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yep that is the prime reason for getting it now. There are number of games that I loved on the NES that aren't included in the built in ones, and so without a doubt I'll be adding those :)
Which ones? Recommend me some games man!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.