Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Adventure Island
Adams Family
Alien 3
Bartman vs radioactive man
Bartman vs the space mutants
Bartman vs the world
Battletoads & Battletoads vs Double Dragon
Beetlejuice
Boy and his blob
Bonks adventure
Darkwing Duck
Dick Tracy
DuckTales 2 & 3
Earthbound
Ghostbusters
Ghosts and Goblins
Goonies
Indiana Jones Last Crusade
Krusty's Fun House
Labyrinth
Lemmings
Maniac Mansion
Marble Madness
Nightmare on Elm Street
Prince of Persia
QBert
Rainbow Islands
Rolling Thunder
Rygar
Snoopy
Total Recall
Track n field
Transformers
Willow

To name but a few ;)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Gonna put retroarch on and add a dozen or so of favourite snes and megadrive titles as well as my NES additions :)

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
Smyths toys in Ireland. The only place that is getting stock and literally only a handful throughout Ireland apparently.
Yeah the lesser known places are always the best place to look. (The massive worldwide chains always sell out first) When I got mine it was from a local store also. I do see them pop up every now and again in various different places, but pretty much all of the places where I saw them all said that they only get their stock of them come through in tiny dribs and drabs. (like literally a small handful at a time)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah the lesser known places are always the best place to look. (The massive worldwide chains always sell out first) When I got mine it was from a local store also. I do see them pop up every now and again in various different places, but pretty much all of the places where I saw them all said that they only get their stock of them come through in tiny dribs and drabs. (like literally a small handful at a time)

By afternoon they're all gone and do not expect any stock in the future ...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I just installed the latest hack app thing! Wow! Back in my day we had to run non-NES roms through a butchered rom and adding more games was cumbersome. Now it's all done in the main app.

I'm done now. This is exactly the machine I wanted, and hoped we'd get eventually.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I just installed the latest hack app thing! Wow! Back in my day we had to run non-NES roms through a butchered rom and adding more games was cumbersome. Now it's all done in the main app.

I'm done now. This is exactly the machine I wanted, and hoped we'd get eventually.
Yeah I've managed to add folders, customise them and get my SNES and Megadrive games all in and running.

It's just so addictive hacking it with hakchi, it's just the perfect little emulator console ....

It's no wonder Nintendo will ever produce more when they get $5 a piece per game on VC and now we have other systems working flawlessly ....

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece

Awesome! Kinda tempted to do it myself now! (am kind of scared of breaking it though!) Did you have to physically open it up in order to do this, or were you able to do it by plugging in a cable and passing the data to it that way?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Awesome! Kinda tempted to do it myself now! (am kind of scared of breaking it though!) Did you have to physically open it up in order to do this, or were you able to do it by plugging in a cable and passing the data to it that way?

No its an app you download for PC called hakchi and it does most of the work. There are plenty of guides on youtube. I followed a couple and it proved to be very little hassle :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nope, just get the app MRU mentioned! It seems safe to me, before anything takes place it makes a backup of the firmware (as it were) so if you really mess it up you're able to just reset it back to square one. I've had troubles adding new games long after installing the hack and resorted to reinstalling the original firmware and adding the new games again.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
16904975_10154711230085432_8226798709259913812_o.jpg
My current setup :D (both the NES Mini menu and other assorted junk)
One folder each for Gameboy, GBA, Sega (Master system, GG, Mega Drive), PC Engine, and 4 others of mixed NES games. Favourite NES games on the root menu too. I've got a feeling this system will be taken far so I don't want to forget its original purpose.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
View attachment 689939
My current setup :D (both the NES Mini menu and other assorted junk)
One folder each for Gameboy, GBA, Sega (Master system, GG, Mega Drive), PC Engine, and 4 others of mixed NES games. Favourite NES games on the root menu too. I've got a feeling this system will be taken far so I don't want to forget its original purpose.

I see you have an old school style snes controller. Where did you get it from ?

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
Nope, just get the app MRU mentioned! It seems safe to me, before anything takes place it makes a backup of the firmware (as it were) so if you really mess it up you're able to just reset it back to square one. I've had troubles adding new games long after installing the hack and resorted to reinstalling the original firmware and adding the new games again.
Cool! Thanks for the tip! When you had to reinstall the old firmware and add it again, did you manage to find a way to back up your game progress save data, or did you lose it all and have to start again?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Reactions: hawkeye_a

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Cool! Thanks for the tip! When you had to reinstall the old firmware and add it again, did you manage to find a way to back up your game progress save data, or did you lose it all and have to start again?
Game saves are fine, I'm having a hell of a time trying to add new games now (I imagine it's a bug, seems fine for everyone else on the hack forums) and have reverted back to the original firmware today. I think the only way to lose save files is to do a Factory Reset on the console's menu itself.
[doublepost=1487980913][/doublepost]
I see you have an old school style snes controller. Where did you get it from ?
It was a Nintendo Club exclusive item! Really chuffed I got one, I think they 'sold' out pretty quick. It connects to a Wii controller so it works perfectly with the NES Mini.

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
Game saves are fine, I'm having a hell of a time trying to add new games now (I imagine it's a bug, seems fine for everyone else on the hack forums) and have reverted back to the original firmware today. I think the only way to lose save files is to do a Factory Reset on the console's menu itself.
Thanks! Yeah, in theory firmware should always be store in an isolated part of the device, but as it's a hack you just never know how they've gone about it. (So thought I had better check with you first in case they did a total wipe and replaced the whole lot with a complete system image that gets put n its place, if you get what I mean). But I'm glad there are people like you on here that have already gunieapigged these things so I can find this stuff out beforehand!
Sorry to hear about the bug though. Are you going to try again when they've fixed the bug, or are you gonna just keep it with the original firmware now?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Thanks! Yeah, in theory firmware should always be store in an isolated part of the device, but as it's a hack you just never know how they've gone about it. (So thought I had better check with you first in case they did a total wipe and replaced the whole lot with a complete system image that gets put n its place, if you get what I mean). But I'm glad there are people like you on here that have already gunieapigged these things so I can find this stuff out beforehand!
Sorry to hear about the bug though. Are you going to try again when they've fixed the bug, or are you gonna just keep it with the original firmware now?
Yeah it was an easily fixed bug. There were a few hotfix updates released that same day. I got it working before bed :)

(just waxing lyrical again - this machine is ACE. What I wouldn't give for more storage now. I'm happy with my fave titles on it but using it to explore new games is going to be difficult)

Reactions: GeekishlyGreek

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
Yeah it was an easily fixed bug. There were a few hotfix updates released that same day. I got it working before bed :)

(just waxing lyrical again - this machine is ACE. What I wouldn't give for more storage now. I'm happy with my fave titles on it but using it to explore new games is going to be difficult)
True! Might have to take stuff in turns, and keep all the extras on that you're currently playing, and swap them out afterwards for other ones once you have completed some of the previous games on it. (Not ideal, I know. But one way to solve the problem).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
True! Might have to take stuff in turns, and keep all the extras on that you're currently playing, and swap them out afterwards for other ones once you have completed some of the previous games on it. (Not ideal, I know. But one way to solve the problem).
Indeed! If syncing was easier I'd create groups, playlists as it were. One that contains the games I own, plus some my friends used to own, and another that had the classics, another with ones that I keep meaning to play… etc.

But as it stands now you have to keep "resetting" the NES when adding lots of files to it, so swapping becomes intolerable.

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes

buttongerald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 29, 2016
St. John's, Newfoundland
Yeah thanks Nintendo. I have been fighting tooth and nail to get one for MONTHS for me and my son, they always go in stock online while I am sleeping or working and even then it's for no more than 10 minutes and are gone again.

Scalpers are happy though, snagging them up and reselling for double or triple price.

Reactions: blaine07

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if the discontinuation had anything to do with how easy it is to use it to pirate games on the device.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I am pissed. I have wanted one of these since before Christmas. Not even funny. Ludicrous. I'm so mad right now... Idiots.

To think I was debating buying a Switch. It's going to cost them any money I'd have them.

Nintendo. Is. Dead. To. Me. No joke

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.