Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
Holy crap this thing is now being bid to over $300 on eBay. Seriously does Nintendo really hate their fans that much? They could've been continually printing money to keep production going, however low the margin might be on each unit.

I'm glad I was able to get my one at Best Buy.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
It seems the SoC is massive overkill and there's a lot of wasted space.

And the controller cable is too short.

Maybe they will optimize it given the demand, or replace it with a Super version.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I'm one of the lucky ones who managed to get hold of one of these - it's fantastic. Like most things Nintendo do, we'll probably never know why they stopped making it.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm one of the lucky ones who managed to get hold of one of these - it's fantastic. Like most things Nintendo do, we'll probably never know why they stopped making it.

Well I'm firing them. I'll keep my money I was gonna spend on a switch. I refuse to support a business with such idiocracy afloat.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
New games?
As in rehashed games? With the exception of the Zelda game which was started and is available on the Wii U, so far everything else is a rehash of a previous game. Mario Kart Switch is essentially the same Wii U game and Splatoon 2 from what I've read is the similar to what was released on the Wii U as well. The only really new game coming out is the new Mario game later this year.

That's what's held me back from buying the Nintendo Switch. I love portable gaming devices but I was badly burned from my PS Vita purchase. So I'm waiting for a Switch bundle hopefully later this year maybe during the Holiday's.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Gutted for people that can't get ahold of this. Once hacked this device is incredible, the only thing holding it back is the lack of storage space. I've got 30 SNES, 30 GBA, 2 N64 (lol), maybe 80 NES, 30 Sega (Gamegear, Master System, Mega Drive) and a whole load of Atari and PCE games on mine now.
Absolutely in love with mine. I don't think I'd buy it again if it just had those original 30 NES games and I couldn't hack more onto it, though.

As in rehashed games? With the exception of the Zelda game which was started and is available on the Wii U, so far everything else is a rehash of a previous game. Mario Kart Switch is essentially the same Wii U game and Splatoon 2 from what I've read is the similar to what was released on the Wii U as well. The only really new game coming out is the new Mario game later this year.

That's what's held me back from buying the Nintendo Switch. I love portable gaming devices but I was badly burned from my PS Vita purchase. So I'm waiting for a Switch bundle hopefully later this year maybe during the Holiday's.
Hmm. See, I look at it from a different POV in that it's less about where other games are available and more about how conveniently I can play them. Like my partner has Zelda on the Wii U and I mean aside from it performing and looking worse etc, you're limited by the range of the gamepad (and if you do play on that you've got that horribly flat coloured display). Meanwhile I've been playing the Switch everywhere. That'll continue with Mario Kart too. 100%ed the main game and DLC on Wii U but cannot wait to play it again on Switch. Plus now we can do 4 player anywhere.

On a tech level too it just looks better. You really get the impression that you're playing on next gen hardware compared to Wii U just from the colours alone. Switch has Deep Colour HDMI output... even when my partner plays Zelda on the same TV as my Switch it looks flat compared.

(I don't understand the comments about Splatoon 2 though. "FPS" games don't improve much on each other. They're iterative, and besides, Splatoon 2 has plenty for a sequel. I can understand if you're determined to just not like the Switch...)

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think it is not really powerful enough to emulate N64. Maybe now that they have seen it, Nintendo will upgrade the SoC and release an N64 Mini.

Are 3 cores basically wasted in this thing? Maybe AMD E-series for example would be better.

Last edited:

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
Hey Dagless, can you educate me on what you mean by Switch has HDMI deep color output and Wii U does not?

Gutted for people that can't get ahold of this. Once hacked this device is incredible, the only thing holding it back is the lack of storage space. I've got 30 SNES, 30 GBA, 2 N64 (lol), maybe 80 NES, 30 Sega (Gamegear, Master System, Mega Drive) and a whole load of Atari and PCE games on mine now.
Absolutely in love with mine. I don't think I'd buy it again if it just had those original 30 NES games and I couldn't hack more onto it, though.

Hmm. See, I look at it from a different POV in that it's less about where other games are available and more about how conveniently I can play them. Like my partner has Zelda on the Wii U and I mean aside from it performing and looking worse etc, you're limited by the range of the gamepad (and if you do play on that you've got that horribly flat coloured display). Meanwhile I've been playing the Switch everywhere. That'll continue with Mario Kart too. 100%ed the main game and DLC on Wii U but cannot wait to play it again on Switch. Plus now we can do 4 player anywhere.

On a tech level too it just looks better. You really get the impression that you're playing on next gen hardware compared to Wii U just from the colours alone. Switch has Deep Colour HDMI output... even when my partner plays Zelda on the same TV as my Switch it looks flat compared.

(I don't understand the comments about Splatoon 2 though. "FPS" games don't improve much on each other. They're iterative, and besides, Splatoon 2 has plenty for a sequel. I can understand if you're determined to just not like the Switch...)

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009
I haven't played with my NES classic since release day. I may just listing it on eBay and let someone who really wants it, put it to use.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Hey Dagless, can you educate me on what you mean by Switch has HDMI deep color output and Wii U does not?
I'm not 100% on the tech behind it (I just make PC/Mac games), all I know about it is the Xbox 360 and PS3 first supported it. I *THINK* it pushes the colour range further so in a way it's like a mini "HDR" compared to what came before Full Range HDMI.

It makes a world of difference in a game like Zelda.

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro

It's a queer relic of analogue video processing and how it relates colour information, in terms of the red, green and blue values of any given pixel. RGB range in 8-bit signal is expressed as three numbers with 256 possible values (0 - 255). Historically, television signal compresses the 8-bit value spectrum from 0 - 255 to 16 - 235; 0 - 16 are rendered as a 0 (absolute black) and 235 - 255) are rendered as 255 (absolute white); this is a visual equivalent to lossy audio codecs that discard audio data above and below certain frequencies because the appreciable loss of fidelity is minimal for most people. This contributes to the concept of crush, which is obliteration of details at either end of the light spectrum for a visual images; shadows appear a muddy mess and high-intensity light appears blown out because the colour variation is lost. Rather recently, though, both consumer displays (televisions, computer monitors have historically always used full RGB) and media have come with full RGB options, which allow for the full RGB ranges. This is somewhat novel in game consoles which, being primarily used on television, have not historically bothered with full RGB. Credit where credit is due to Nintendo for embracing its use.

Reactions: AngerDanger

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I'm not 100% on the tech behind it (I just make PC/Mac games), all I know about it is the Xbox 360 and PS3 first supported it. I *THINK* it pushes the colour range further so in a way it's like a mini "HDR" compared to what came before Full Range HDMI.

It makes a world of difference in a game like Zelda.

An observation: I did notice that the colors in Zelda BotW seemed a little washed out; shadow areas seemed too bright.

I also noticed a setting in the Swiitche's display settings area regarding the output color gamut (there's a "full" and "automatic" option). I couldnt tell the difference on my TV.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I wouldn't be surprised if the discontinuation had anything to do with how easy it is to use it to pirate games on the device.
I doubt it. If they really believed this was going to be an issue in the first place, then they shouldn't have bothered to make it in the first place either.
[doublepost=1492452360][/doublepost]
So whst do you do with a fun piece of hardware that got so popular that supply couldn't keep up with demand after launch, and that many more people want to buy if they could only find one?

Of course! You DISCONTINUE it!!! :confused::eek::rolleyes:

http://www.vg247.com/2017/04/13/nin...-console-last-shipments-going-out-this-month/
Weren't people raving a similar thing back when Apple announced they were going to kill the Ipod Classic line? I don't agree with it (and heck, I still use one myself), but there must've been something with the logistics and ROI that didn't make it worth it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm expecting a full and proper discontinuation, but in its place another one with more systems emulated. I imagine this was a test, released during an expected dry spell. And if so it looks to have done very well.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I can't do this anymore. It's apparent I'm not ever going to get one of these. For my sake, for my sanity I must say farewell and unsubscribe from this thread.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I haven't been following this thing lately, but they've seriously managed to get all those emulators running on the NES Classic? That's amazing! (And no wonder they've discontinued it, to be honest - there's no way they can continue to sell it if it's basically a TV-ready Raspberry Pi in a nice case. This is why you can't have nice things!)

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
I can't do this anymore. It's apparent I'm not ever going to get one of these. For my sake, for my sanity I must say farewell and unsubscribe from this thread.

Don't give up! You're just not trying hard enough! Maybe you don't want it, as much as you think you want it!?

:D (I'm joking)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I haven't been following this thing lately, but they've seriously managed to get all those emulators running on the NES Classic? That's amazing! (And no wonder they've discontinued it, to be honest - there's no way they can continue to sell it if it's basically a TV-ready Raspberry Pi in a nice case. This is why you can't have nice things!)
It has been selling though! Folk like the convenience. Even if it was a rebranded Pi folk are gonna want the official controller, neat case, ease of use. Cracking it open would have no impact on sales, if anything they became more sought after… since there's no way of making money on them post-sale (can't purchase new games etc).

JohnGrey

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2012
Cincinnati Metro
What Nintendo ought to do is make a $150 box that uses FPGAs to 1:1 emulate its systems through the N64, have it output in 1080p60. Call it the Nintendo Rewind, tie it into the eShop and offer games for 50p, 75p and $1 for NES, SNES and N64 and make all the money.
[doublepost=1492463391][/doublepost]
An observation: I did notice that the colors in Zelda BotW seemed a little washed out; shadow areas seemed too bright.

I also noticed a setting in the Swiitche's display settings area regarding the output color gamut (there's a "full" and "automatic" option). I couldnt tell the difference on my TV.

Your television must support the expanded RGB palette, if it's an older television or wasn't a flagship model when it was released then it may not.

Reactions: hawkeye_a

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
It has been selling though! Folk like the convenience. Even if it was a rebranded Pi folk are gonna want the official controller, neat case, ease of use. Cracking it open would have no impact on sales, if anything they became more sought after… since there's no way of making money on them post-sale (can't purchase new games etc).
I agree, I wish I'd bought one now I know it can play a lot more than just those 30 NES games.

But that's a potential PR disaster for Nintendo. They've long been the case study for how to maximise the value of old games - they're still selling things they made 30 years ago and profiting from other companies using their marketplace - but now they're essentially selling an all-in-one emulator box.

The NES Classic has only been out a few months, the only reason to kill it so quickly is that it's been completely compromised by hackers. I bet heads have rolled in the R&D department that put this thing together without considering security. Has any other console been cracked so quickly?

Edit: didn't they also put friendly messages for hackers in the system files, thereby encouraging people to hook the thing up to a PC and tinker with it? Bizarre.

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
FWIW, I dont think consumers modding and adding games themselves had anything to do with the discontinuation. Nintendo didn't/wouldn't loose any sales as there wasn't a "platform" in place for sales of future titles (DLC, cartridges, etc). As far as Nintendo and the NESc was concerned it was a one-time sale.

As to why the limited run... I have a theory, and it is completely speculation... Remember the SNES-Wii controller they made exclusively for Club Nintendo members? I reckon the NESc was meant for ClubNintendo in some way, but they decided to sell the thing to the general public instead, possibly to shore up their numbers for an otherwise lack-luster holiday season. They never had any plans to mass-market the thing to begin with.

@JohnGrey I totally dig your idea for a NintendoRewind real-virtual-console. Nintendo could even release wireless versions of their legacy controllers (sold separately) to pair with the system(which would appease their desire to sell a lot of plastic). But this is Nintendo we're talking about, and that's probably too logical for them to consider :).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.