Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitmanbbq59

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Hi Everyone! Since Apple usually gets started early planning the next iOS update, what do we want to see for iOS 16?

Personally, Apple dropped the ball with this year's OSs. I can't blame them entirely due to the fact that COVID exists and everyone worked from home, but there were no power/pro features for pro devices. I am personally disappointed that interactive widgets did not make the cut and it is silly that I can not tick a reminder off from the home screen, add a calendar event from the widget, or ping AirTags from the widget itself.

I would love to see more pro features come to the next versions of iOS.

For iOS, we need:
Interactive widgets (play/pause music, ping AirTags, etc)
More widget options (messages, update apps from App Store widget, etc.)
Widgets on Lock Screen?
Split view (I know, I know, but having the option would be a nice touch for those who could find a use for it)
Updated lock screen (supposed to have this year, but scrapped at the end)
Please put battery % in the notch, please.
Allow interaction under the Siri UI
Customize lock screen toggles (don't need both camera button and swipe)
Smarter mail sorting (business, personal, travel)

Hear me out, I also would like better spacing of iOS on these new larger iPhones. My 12 Pro Max feels like a giant waste of space on the screen. It is unfortunate that I have the same rows/columns of apps as an iPhone 6S. It feels like they just blew iOS up to fit these larger screens, without adding the ability to see more info on widgets, have more rows/columns of apps, and no split view/pro features.

For iPadOS, I would like to see window support for apps, a weather app, and a calculator (even if it is only in control center).

Not too long of a list. Hopefully we see some of these items in a little under 360 days.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
RCS support in the Messages app… for a company being all about privacy and security they rely a lot on one of the worst communication standards out there for non-Apple device communication.
That’s not gonna happen! It doesn’t benefit Apple to offer RCS support… especially when iMessage is one of the reasons that keep Apple users on their ecosystem.

For iPadOS, I would like to see window support for apps, a weather app, and a calculator (even if it is only in control center).
SplitView and SlideOver are here to stay… Apple will only improve on those aspects in multitasking. I’m hoping Apple allows SlideOver to not be dependent on a full screen app... I think that would be the next evolution of multitasking.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
That’s not gonna happen! It doesn’t benefit Apple to offer RCS support… especially when iMessage is one of the reasons that keep Apple users on their ecosystem.

Not going to happen is absolute, which is not the case with RCS. Sooner or later Apple has to offer it cause it‘s the new standard to replace SMS/MMS. It will happen eventually.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019

SplitView and SlideOver are here to stay… Apple will only improve on those aspects in multitasking. I’m hoping Apple allows SlideOver to not be dependent on a full screen app... I think that would be the next evolution of multitasking.
I mean, you could easily say the same thing about SMS. RCS is just SMS’s successor. Eventually SMS will no longer be supported so they might as well - if they’re concerned about competition they should just remove SMS then.

Anyways, there are a few things I’d like to tweak about 15 - instead of 16 these could be 15.1 features:

- I would like to be able to set independent light/dark mode wallpapers for both the Home Screen and Safari

- It would be nice to be able to share non-HDCP content my screen with FaceTime Links. The option is there but disabled, so I assume it will be available in the future.

- The ability to use focus modes in Home automation routines. For example, acting your “Movie Time” scene could also set your devices into Focus mode (this may already be there).

and finally, something I have been asking for since I began my smart Home journey:

HomeKit NEEDS the ability to isolate certain users from specific controls and to have guest mode! This would be great for families or shared households. I wouldn’t want my kid or roommate controlling my room lights but I would still want them to be able to control shared spaces. Having a guest option would also be great to share temporary control of your devices and allow guests to use Personal Requests on your Siri devices without having to be added into the home.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Not going to happen is absolute, which is not the case with RCS. Sooner or later Apple has to offer it cause it‘s the new standard to replace SMS/MMS. It will happen eventually.
I agree that it‘s a absolute statement, let me rephrase it to nearly impossible. Given that it’s all over the place. Some carriers support it, some manufacturers support it… why would Apple support something when it’s fragmented.

From my understanding this is more of a Android feature compared to it being standard SMS… it’s similar to how iMessage is a feature of Apple. Unless it becomes regulated to a point where Apple is required to implement this feature.

I mean, you could easily say the same thing about SMS. RCS is just SMS’s successor. Eventually SMS will no longer be supported so they might as well - if they’re concerned about competition they should just remove SMS then.
Until RCS gets replaced by SMS... Then yeah, Apple will have no choice but to implement it. However, there’s plenty of issues with RCS at the moment.

Reactions: RyanInBinary

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
I agree that it‘s a absolute statement, let me rephrase it to nearly impossible. Given that it’s all over the place. Some carriers support it, some manufacturers support it… why would Apple support something when it’s fragmented.

From my understanding this is more of a Android feature compared to it being standard SMS… it’s similar to how iMessage is a feature of Apple. Unless it becomes regulated to a point where Apple is required to implement this feature.

Until RCS gets replaced by SMS... Then yeah, Apple will have no choice but to implement it. However, there’s plenty of issues with RCS at the moment.
Understanding it as an “Android” feature is misunderstanding the technology.

RCS has to be supported by the device, yes, but it’s a technology that’s fully on the carrier’s end (which is where the mess is). Other platforms do have RCS support though the only devices actually executing the tool is Android (for example, Windows does have RCS support, but no carrier is offering texting data plans or an RCS profile on the very very few LTE/5G laptops that exist).

RCS is still in its early stages - part of what would help adoption is Apple signing on board. For example, while contactless payments have existed in the US since the early 2000s, it was extremely rare to encounter tap to pay anything until Apple Pay arrived. Apple adopting RCS support and choosing a universal profile to support would rapidly help with RCS adoption, at least in the West.

I personally don’t care because SMS is rare for me, but it’s kind of holding back progress for progress’s sake. Very few companies have the direct influence on the pace of technology like Apple. I mean, you can even see it in web standards (Apple’s reluctance to integrate web standards into their platforms is a universal complaint held by many developers).

Reactions: RPi-AS and TimFL1

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Apart from performance and optimisation, I would want 4 cosmetic/ergonomic things:

- A more refined UI, the interface can remain the same, but some contrast and less white would be welcome.

- Neumorphic style icons, I like the trend started with Big Sur, I'm tired of this full flat design.

- Rethink the 2 lockscreen buttons and the camera opening redundancy (1 button + swipe left is ridiculous)

- Settings app: put. the. freaking. apps. inside. a. menu !!!! It doesn't make any sense the main Settings being so long because of all the apps installed. They deserve a menu for themselves to clean up things a bit.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
Hi Everyone! Since Apple usually gets started early planning the next iOS update, what do we want to see for iOS 16?

Personally, Apple dropped the ball with this year's OSs. I can't blame them entirely due to the fact that COVID exists and everyone worked from home, but there were no power/pro features for pro devices. I am personally disappointed that interactive widgets did not make the cut and it is silly that I can not tick a reminder off from the home screen, add a calendar event from the widget, or ping AirTags from the widget itself.

For iOS, we need:
Widgets on Lock Screen?
Split view (I know, I know, but having the option would be a nice touch for those who could find a use for it)

Hear me out, I also would like better spacing of iOS on these new larger iPhones. My 12 Pro Max feels like a giant waste of space on the screen. It is unfortunate that I have the same rows/columns of apps as an iPhone 6S. It feels like they just blew iOS up to fit these larger screens, without adding the ability to see more info on widgets, have more rows/columns of apps, and no split view/pro features.

Not too long of a list. Hopefully we see some of these items in a little under 360 days.
  • Redesigned Control Center that adapts to dark/light appearance with an edit button that lets you rearrange its items like you can apps on the home screen.
  • Control Center API so third-party developers can integrate with the Control Center
  • Dynamic wallpapers (like those on macOS)
  • Dark/light mode adaptive app icons
  • Option to automatically change the wallpaper at an interval (like in macOS)
  • Calculator app for iPad
  • Weather app for iPad
  • Interactive widgets
  • Lock screen camera launcher and flashlight toggle come to iPad and become customizable with the same pool of choices as is available to Control Center
  • QuickPath typing on full-size iPad keyboard
  • Extended External display support for iPad
  • Vertical split-screen and dock on max size iPhones
  • Read Receipts in iMessage group chats
  • Typing indicator in iMessage group chats
  • Retract messages in iMessage
  • More Tapback reaction types (or allow any emoji) in iMessage
  • Redesign Home app
  • Create Smart Playlists inside the Music app
  • View and Create Smart Mailboxes in the Mail app
  • Mail app intelligent sorting abilities
  • Folders in the Photos "All Photos" view
  • Photos Keywords
  • Collapsible headers for each of the groups in the huge list that is the Settings app

Last edited:

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Ohhhhh boy here we go. This isn't a list of my realistic expectations for next year, but more of a wishlist for what I really really really would love to see...

A general theme of customization would be nice. I'm not one of those "oh iPhones suck because you can't change anything on them" people, but I have grown tired of the limited customization options available on iOS. I think Apple would be willing to make customization a central theme of a new release.

iPhoneOS and iPadOS 16
General
  • iPhoneOS Only: Name change to iPhoneOS to bring it in line with Apple's other OS names.
  • Split View (but not SlideOver) comes to iPhones XR, XS and later.
  • Windowed apps on iPad. (iPads with 16GB of RAM can run the maximum of 6 apps at a time. iPads with less RAM can obviously run fewer apps.)
  • Due to more performance and battery optimizations, device compatibility stays the same as iOS 15. In fact, iPhoneOS and iPadOS 16 may run even faster on older devices than iOS 15 in certain situations.
  • Automatic Dark Mode in dark lighting conditions with the Ambient Light Sensor.
  • Weather app for iPad.

Lock Screen
  • This one applies to the Home Screen as well, but... Wallpaper customization options as seen in the supposedly leaked screenshots of iOS 14 a year or so back.
  • Customizable shortcuts in the bottom left and right corners (on all models of iPhone and iPad.) (You'd have the ability to set the buttons to prebuilt commands, HomeKit device toggles, Shortcuts [see the next section], and specific apps.)

Shortcuts
  • Toggle Shortcuts: You can now set a Shortcut to be toggleable. A Toggle Shortcut can be configured in one of two ways that you choose. It can be configured to run a single set of actions when toggled on and off (a special action called Get Shortcut Toggle State can be used in the Shortcut to conditionally run certain commands depending on what state the Shortcut was toggled to); Or it can be configured to run a separate set of actions when toggled on and when toggled off.
  • Regular Shortcuts and Toggle Shortcuts can be added to the Lock Screen buttons. The button will automatically reflect the Toggle Shortcut's on/off mode. Pressing the button will toggle the Shortcut if it is a Toggle Shortcut, or simply run the Shortcut if it is a regular Shortcut.
  • Both Regular and Toggle Shortcuts can also be added to Control Center. Again, a Toggle Shortcut will be toggleable, and a Regular Shortcut will not.

Home Screen
  • iPadOS Only: Ability to choose between Widgets on Home Screen view and Widgets in Sidebar view. The Widgets in Sidebar view allows more apps to fit on the screen, and maintains the same grid dimensions in Portrait and Landscape, as in iPadOS 14.
  • Ability to place icons and widgets anywhere on the screen without automatic reflow.

• More Tapback options (maybe a swipeable list of options?)
  • Ability to remove or edit a message.
  • Ability to rename an MMS group conversation.
  • Typing indicator and read receipts in group chats.
Contacts
  • Ability to manage Groups!

Mail
  • Schedule message sending
Calculator
  • New UI, with options for:
    • Basic Calculator
    • Scientific Calculator
    • Programming Calculator
    • Algebraic Calculator (automatic solve for variables in equations, etc.)
    • Graphing Calculator
    • Conversions (distance, time, currency, area, etc.)
  • Calculator is now a cross-platform Catalyst app, available on iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac with the same codebase.

Settings
  • Complete redesign of the Settings app. Categories are consolidated (E.G. All third party apps are under a single item). All categories are accessible from a short, square button 2x8 or so list. This brings the design more in line with System Preferences. Tapping any category will bring you to a list view to drill down to more settings.

fwmireault

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
Well I’ll say that for me the OS itself is very good and I can’t think of any major feature that I need (Maybe a more rich Apple Mail app, with more features and customization). But what I would really like is a strong iCloud update, especially on privacy. Apple says that privacy is its priority, but the majority of the iCloud data isn’t end-to-end encrypted (even iMessages if iCloud backups are activated). It makes no sens for me that my Apple Photos, Mail, Documents, etc. don’t have E2E. Some third party offers solutions, but not with the convenience and integration that Apple can delivers. They should at least give me the option.

I’m not saying it is happening, and I know all the pressure that law enforcement agencies put on Apple against this kind of privacy features, but that would be the ultimate commitment from Apple to privacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hitmanbbq59

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
Well I’ll say that for me the OS itself is very good and I can’t think of any major feature that I need (Maybe a more rich Apple Mail app, with more features and customization). But what I would really like is a strong iCloud update, especially on privacy. Apple says that privacy is its priority, but the majority of the iCloud data isn’t end-to-end encrypted (even iMessages if iCloud backups are activated). It makes no sens for me that my Apple Photos, Mail, Documents, etc. don’t have E2E. Some third party offers solutions, but not with the convenience and integration that Apple can delivers. They should at least give me the option.

I’m not saying it is happening, and I know all the pressure that law enforcement agencies put on Apple to not
It's funny that Apple won't do full E2E iCloud backups, considering Android device backups to Google Drive/Google One do have E2E encryption. Granted, not the same amount and kinds of data are in each, but still.

Reactions: Hitmanbbq59

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Apple Card:
  • Budgeting tools (e.g., notifications when reaching or meeting category spending limits).
Calendar:
  • Option to change default alert time for all-day events to something other than 9 AM.
Camera:
  • Settings > Camera > Lens Correction - include wide lens.
Clock:
  • Multiple timers.
iOS:
  • Custom Memoji background colors.
  • Bring the refreshed app icons in macOS Big Sur to iOS.
Maps:
  • Display cities alongside locations in search results when adding favorites.
  • Search while in an active route.
  • Add stops/multiple destinations when in an active route.
  • Music playback controls.
News:
  • Allow Apple News widget to display user curated content when “Restrict Stories in Today“ is enabled in News settings. With this setting enabled, widget is unusable.
Music:
  • Album release date in Currently Playing.
Notes:
  • Swipe down to search within individual notes.
  • Condensed notes that display title only in list view.
Reminders:
  • Parent group names visible when moving reminders.
Safari:
  • Separate bookmarks and history sections in URL search suggestions.

belictony

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2021

For iOS, we need:
Widgets on Lock Screen?

Whats the point?. its not making sense to buy something and wishing to get some more feature which you need. If the product is not meeting your requirement, don’t buy it. Buy something else like an android tablet where some of these could be possible using 3rd party apps.

Bubble99

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2015
A guest mode like on MacOS, where you log out when handing over your device to someone else, and they can use it to browse the web or whatever, but can't see any of your private data.

I don’t think Apple will ever give guest account or different user accounts. If you thinking that the iPad is going to be used in businesses with different user accounts or for say IT guys with different user account. Apple would have given you this feature long time ago.

The iPad is used mostly in schools, education, home use and artists than offices and companies with different user accounts.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
  1. DELETE ALL button for attachments instead of tapping on each photo one by one in an endless list of attachments. Should have been added many iOS versions ago ...
  2. Auto erase images after it has been viewed (no one needs to save a huge amount of screenshots or something funny you saw on the street) - unless that is possible now?
  3. Background Image instead of that basic boring white background
Widgets / Home Screen
  1. Add a "+" button to a stack so we can just add another widget instead of doing it with drag and drop which may or may not F up your whole order of app icons on the Home Screen in the meantime
  2. Live widgets (Play Next)
  3. App icons ANYWHERE on the screen with different sizing options (Does Android have a patent on that or something?)
  4. Ordering Home Screens instead of moving everything manually - unless that is possible now?
  5. New Design - I do not know what exactly but it has gotten old. How about adding the BigSur icons at least?
Lockscreen
  1. Let us pick our Apps to launch from the lock screen - why do I need the camera if I can already open it with a swipe? Flashlight also turns on by mistake way too often since 3D Touch has been removed
Photos
  1. Lock the app or specific folders
  2. Indicator to see which photos have already been sorted into dedicated folders in the camera roll feed

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2021
I don’t think Apple will ever give guest account or different user accounts. If you thinking that the iPad is going to be used in businesses with different user accounts or for say IT guys with different user account. Apple would have given you this feature long time ago.

The iPad is used mostly in schools, education, home use and artists than offices and companies with different user accounts.
On macOS, guest mode is different than multi user. People can log in as guest and when they log out, all their data gets deleted.

However, this feature on iPad would be a slippery slope to multi user mode, which Apple doesn't want since they want to sell an iPad to every member of the family.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013

For iOS, we need:
Widgets on Lock Screen?

I agree with everything on your list. I would only add the much needed redesign.

Reactions: George Dawes

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Calculator and Weather on iPad, that is it.

I just want Craig to come on stage (or screen) and say these are the 2 new features of iPadOS, demo them, and done. See you next year.
Yeah, it is so odd that there is no calculator.....and no good alternatives on the App Store at a reasonable price.

Reactions: George Dawes

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah, it is so odd that there is no calculator.....and no good alternatives on the App Store at a reasonable price.
PCalc and Soulver are my go-to calculators... even if Apple creates one, I'll most likely still keep using those two calculators.

Reactions: mikecwest

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
The calculator on IOS isn't the most feature rich but it works and the one I run on iPadOS works fine also.
Not the most important thing. Apple didn't originally have it on iPad cause it didn't scale properly for bigger screens and then since there were so many alternative they didn't want to upset developers who did new apps

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The calculator on IOS isn't the most feature rich but it works and the one I run on iPadOS works fine also.
Not the most important thing. Apple didn't originally have it on iPad cause it didn't scale properly for bigger screens and then since there were so many alternative they didn't want to upset developers who did new apps
Those excuses are total BS now. The community has done a lot of mock-ups on how this can be done in a very apple way. Like making the calculator a pop out app in control center like the remote is. And with the weather redesign it’s quite pathetic they didn’t have one dude adapt it to the iPad. One dude built the remote app, two dudes wrote the podcasts app in 2011. This isn’t rocket science. It’s a very conscious decision that continues to baffle many.

Hell its even a parody now……

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.