Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Does it really matter what we want, seems like apple give us the bare minimum every year when it comes to features.

How long have users been comparing about being able to change the camera and flashlight icons on the lock screen.

You can add the rest of the stuff people are positing on here as well, most of it could be added so easily, but since apple has no completion, they’ll continue releasing 1 new feature every 10 years.

But hey at least we got new Animoji features. ?‍♂️

Premium1

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2013
Hi Everyone! Since Apple usually gets started early planning the next iOS update, what do we want to see for iOS 16?

Personally, Apple dropped the ball with this year's OSs. I can't blame them entirely due to the fact that COVID exists and everyone worked from home, but there were no power/pro features for pro devices. I am personally disappointed that interactive widgets did not make the cut and it is silly that I can not tick a reminder off from the home screen, add a calendar event from the widget, or ping AirTags from the widget itself.

I would love to see more pro features come to the next versions of iOS.

For iOS, we need:
Interactive widgets (play/pause music, ping AirTags, etc)
More widget options (messages, update apps from App Store widget, etc.)
Widgets on Lock Screen?
Split view (I know, I know, but having the option would be a nice touch for those who could find a use for it)
Updated lock screen (supposed to have this year, but scrapped at the end)
Please put battery % in the notch, please.
Allow interaction under the Siri UI
Customize lock screen toggles (don't need both camera button and swipe)
Smarter mail sorting (business, personal, travel)

Hear me out, I also would like better spacing of iOS on these new larger iPhones. My 12 Pro Max feels like a giant waste of space on the screen. It is unfortunate that I have the same rows/columns of apps as an iPhone 6S. It feels like they just blew iOS up to fit these larger screens, without adding the ability to see more info on widgets, have more rows/columns of apps, and no split view/pro features.

For iPadOS, I would like to see window support for apps, a weather app, and a calculator (even if it is only in control center).

Not too long of a list. Hopefully we see some of these items in a little under 360 days.
I just want to be able to arrange icons from the bottom up. As phones get bigger, makes sense to have it that way (even apple knows this since they moved the safari search bar to the bottom). It blows my mind this isn't allowed yet.

Reactions: Hitmanbbq59

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Those excuses are total BS now. The community has done a lot of mock-ups on how this can be done in a very apple way. Like making the calculator a pop out app in control center like the remote is. And with the weather redesign it’s quite pathetic they didn’t have one dude adapt it to the iPad. One dude built the remote app, two dudes wrote the podcasts app in 2011. This isn’t rocket science. It’s a very conscious decision that continues to baffle many.

Hell its even a parody now……
I wasn't making excuses just relating what Apple and others talked about when iPad came out

Jaekae

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2012
No black borders on the sides on external monitor is the only thing want from ipados 16.. but probably wont get it ?

Reactions: TimFL1

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I'd like, at least the option, of having the back and forward arrows in Safari on the top vs. the bottom. Then it would be similar to other apps. Was originally on bottom to make one handed stuff easier but...
I'd also like to be able to see and manage all the wifi networks that the phone has in "memory" similar to what MacOS allows. I'm sure I have plenty from 1 time places that I'd like to get rid of without having to reset all

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Since it's clear by now that the iOS 15 update is mostly just fluff, this is my list of what I'd like to see Apple do.
At this point this list is very old.
About 5 years old at least.
Apple says they listen to their customers...yeah!

But I'll post it here again.

1. redesign the notification center. It's ridiculous.

2. give us an LED visual for notifications in addition to sound and vibration. Allow us the change the colors of the LED based on what the notification app is.
The fine folks who like things the way they are can just turn any or all of this off and be constantly hitting the screen on their phones to see if there are any messages when the phone is on mute, much like we all have to do all day long the way it current is.

3. give us an always-on screen for the clock. On the always-on screen we should also be able to choose if we want to see if we have any notifications (the amount and the app) or if we to just want see the clock.
Once again, the people who don't like it should be able to turn it off. No more Apple forcing us to do stuff.

4. add haptic feedback to the keyboard, and make it possible to customize different intensities to your heart's content.
It's beyond crazy that you have no feedback whatsoever if you're typing and the phone is on mute. Those who are concerned with battery or simply don't like this should be able to turn it off.

5. make it possible to adjust volume for independent apps and settings and not this general thing they're doing. Separate volume control for keyboard volume, music volume, ring volume, system volume.
I, for example, would like the keyboard clicks to be much louder than they are but without it affecting the volume on the entire phone or the ring and notifications volume. It's silly of Apple to force it to be like this.

6. add suggestions from the address book as you start a phone number.
Common now Apple, this has been available for the last 15 years on Android.

7. make it possible to customize the texting app in every conceivable way. Font size, bubble size shape color etc.

8. make it possible to schedule a text message to be sent at a certain time/date. This is a basic feature. Compose your message now and schedule it to be sent when the time is right. I used to use this feature all the time when I had to text people who are in different time zones when they have to get the text at a certain time in their time zone but it's way too late for me to stay up to send the text.

9. use an OS-wide clipboard and make cut and/or copy not expire until you, the user, cleans it.
You should be able to copy text now and paste it tomorrow if you want to.
And 9b make it possible to copy multiple copy entries ready to paste any one of them by long pressing, at least the last 10 cut/copies should be possible.

10. in Mail give us the option to NOT go to the next email when you are deleting an email but to go back to the inbox. Those who want to keep things the way it is should be able to turn this feature off.

11. make it possible to move the icons on the desktop anywhere you want to.

Oh and one more thing, related to No. 1: make the "Clear all" button come on immediately when you get a message. Mine only comes on after a long while and I'm having to constantly swipe to the left and clear each notification by it self. Utterly lame.

Reactions: Hitmanbbq59

nintendoswitch

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2021
what kind of features would you add in iOS 16? I, personally would add:

1. redesigned app icons (because we need a refresh.)
2. redesigned control center (i know they updated it a few years ago but still)
3. macOS emulator on iPad when you attach a keyboard and connect a mouse (because whats the point of using a tablet operating system when using it like a computer???)
4. files app refresh (it does need a refresh, at least i think so.)
5. XCODE FOR IPAD (not everybody has a mac, you know. and swift playgrounds isn't really an app maker.)

what are your thoughts and what would you add? oh and also this is my first thread.

Reactions: na1577

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
I’d like to see more in depth notification control.

For example, I may want an app to send me a notification that it’s completed an action, but not send me a notification about say some promotion. With iOS, you either get all notifications from an app or none at all, and it’s up to the developer to implement the option tho control notifications. Having it done system wide like Android would allow you to disable unwanted notifications from apps where you still want other notifications.

There still is also no easy way to share your Home with guests. There needs to be a guest mode or a way to temporarily invite people into a Home.

Reactions: TimFL1

guyguy17

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2017
Here is my list.

Screen Time- I would like to see some improvements and added features.
Battery health- I would like to see it on iPad Pro (all generations)
Find My- I would like to see some improvements and added features.
Air Tag- I would like to see some improvements and added features
Airpods- Add it as its own setting

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Stop with the top left justification! Just stop. If I want a screen with one icon in the lower right let me do that.

I'm constantly having to "pad out" my main screen because the couple icons I want need to be on the bottom for reachability.

Oh, and add a link to settings in control center.

Livvie

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
Stop with the top left justification! Just stop. If I want a screen with one icon in the lower right let me do that.

I'm constantly having to "pad out" my main screen because the couple icons I want need to be on the bottom for reachability.

Oh, and add a link to settings in control center.

Agree %. I feel like little things like this on an iPad especially to have control over would really help move the iPad on to be it’s own device rather than be a stretched out iPhone.

Reactions: MaxBurn

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I was just thinking about this today as I've been forced back to an iPhone part time due to an app we are developing/testing. I'd love to have a universal back swipe like on Android. I didn't realize how incredibly intuitive it is until I got stuck with an iPhone again. That's an example of "it just works", but not from Apple.

• Angry

Livvie

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2021
Wales
I was just thinking about this today as I've been forced back to an iPhone part time due to an app we are developing/testing. I'd love to have a universal back swipe like on Android. I didn't realize how incredibly intuitive it is until I got stuck with an iPhone again. That's an example of "it just works", but not from Apple.

Yeah actually I think this is something a lot of Android to Apple users notice! I know most apps you can swipe from the left hand side of the screen but it’s not the same. Plus I use to like my little glowing buttons on my old android :)

Reactions: spinedoc77

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Since I came from the iPhone... I prefer their gestures over the navigation buttons Android uses, but its all a matter of preferences.

But if I could take anything away from Android... it would be Sound Assistant, the ability to have multiple audio streams simultaneously. I could watch some YT video while a podcast is playing in the background.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Since I came from the iPhone... I prefer their gestures over the navigation buttons Android uses, but its all a matter of preferences.

But if I could take anything away from Android... it would be Sound Assistant, the ability to have multiple audio streams simultaneously. I could watch some YT video while a podcast is playing in the background.

I actually never use navigation buttons on Android, it's one of the first things I turn off on vanilla Android. I use their gestures, in this case a swipe in from the left screen lets you go back. It's really quite intuitive, it can be just a news app, or a web browser and it goes back within the app, but it's smart enough to go back to a referring app, just as one example. With Apple it's a mish mash and it's all over the place. Some apps like News you can go back to the main page, other times you have to click on the tiny little arrow at the top left, this is most apparent with searches, and individual apps are all over the place in this functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.