Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Update: noodle654 was the first to respond (DM) and has sent payment no more drives thanks.

Since I upgraded to a two terabyte drive, I still have the original one terabyte drive from my Mac Pro 2013. Does anyone want it? It isn't quite as fast as the latest NVMe but still fast. I will include the external enclosure with the M.2 drive. I am not looking for much. It is like paying only for the external enclosure and getting the drive for free. Regarding vetting, I sold 5 NVMe adapters thru this thread at cost and just hit 6502 status so am otherwise eligible to post in the marketplace.

the throughput of original one terabyte Mac Pro 2013 SSD when connected internally
D4758A9A-AF7B-43D5-846C-7E1DC5C10E6C.png

original one terabyte Mac Pro 2013 SSD
295FED89-2593-4005-B07B-177101843E3D.jpeg
92D83F52-FD4C-49C2-8033-61D65BF4B4FE.jpeg

OWC USB 3 external enclosure (up to 230 MB/s write, 300 MB/s read)
6E7FAA30-78B0-4E43-A24F-BFA78DD81FB5.jpeg

Last edited:

Bwalky

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
Since I upgraded to a two terabyte drive, I still have the original one terabyte drive from my Mac Pro 2013. Does anyone want it? It isn't quite as fast as the latest NVMe but still fast. I will include the external enclosure with the M.2 drive. I am not looking for much, like ~100 USD (PayPal only). It is like paying only for the external enclosure and getting the drive for free. Regarding vetting, I sold 5 NVMe adapters thru this thread at cost and just hit 6502 status so am otherwise eligible to post in the marketplace.

the throughput of original one terabyte Mac Pro 2013 SSD when connected internally
View attachment 746204

View attachment 746205
View attachment 746206

View attachment 746207

Would you post to the UK, if I paid shipping? If so I’ll definitley take it.

Reactions: CodeJingle

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I'm In U.K. and would also like to be on the reserve this if you could post!
[doublepost=1515624844][/doublepost]
Id like to offer $135 inc shipping to UK?
[doublepost=1515624949][/doublepost]
Would you post to the UK, if I paid shipping? If so I’ll definitley take it.
The first person to respond sent me a private message on macrumors sorry it took so long to update. Thanks for the consideration!

Last edited:

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
Update: noodle654 was the first to respond (DM) and has sent payment no more drives thanks.

Since I upgraded to a two terabyte drive, I still have the original one terabyte drive from my Mac Pro 2013. Does anyone want it? It isn't quite as fast as the latest NVMe but still fast. I will include the external enclosure with the M.2 drive. I am not looking for much, like ~100 USD (PayPal only). It is like paying only for the external enclosure and getting the drive for free. Regarding vetting, I sold 5 NVMe adapters thru this thread at cost and just hit 6502 status so am otherwise eligible to post in the marketplace.

View attachment 746204

View attachment 746205
View attachment 746206

View attachment 746207
Great deal, noodle654 did well!

pr33tz

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
London, UK
Hi guys, just got my Sintech adapter which I've installed in my Mac Pro with a 1TB M2 SSD (from my Windows PC) but it doesn't show up in disk utility? I know I have to format it but thought it would at least show up in disk utility? Any ideas?

The adapter I received already has tape on the contacts that were shorting out on the early adapters so I don't think it's that.

Kris Kelvin

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2005
just got my Sintech adapter which I've installed in my Mac Pro with a 1TB M2 SSD (from my Windows PC) but it doesn't show up in disk utility

Try the following:
  1. Open Disk Utility
  2. Click the top left button in the toolbar ("View") and select "Show All Devices"
  3. Relaunch Disk Utility
If that doesn't work, take a look in the System Report and tell us if there's an entry under "NVMExpress".

I assume your SSD is using NVME (or AHCI), and not SATA, right?

pr33tz

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
London, UK
Try the following:
  1. Open Disk Utility
  2. Click the top left button in the toolbar ("View") and select "Show All Devices"
  3. Relaunch Disk Utility
If that doesn't work, take a look in the System Report and tell us if there's an entry under "NVMExpress".

I assume your SSD is using NVME (or AHCI), and not SATA, right?

It's an NVME drive. I'm launching Disk Utility from the internet restore window and I don't have a "View" button? I have attached a screenshot (apologies for the quality!).

IMG_8333.JPG

dickybow

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2017
I think you need to mount and format the drive with the appropriate commands (can't remember them sorry)

pr33tz

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
London, UK
Use Diskmaker X to create a bootable High Sierra installer on a USB flash drive (or external enclosure). That is what worked for me, I had the same issue.

Thanks, I'll try that and report back.
[doublepost=1515780449][/doublepost]
Thanks, I'll try that and report back.

Hmmm... still not showing up. Just tried the SSD in my PC and it definitely works. This is the SSD:

IMG_8334.JPG

Last edited:

jclmavg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
I'd put some tape on the adapter just to be sure, I've not seen a sintech adapter shipped with insulation applied.

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
Hi guys, just got my Sintech adapter which I've installed in my Mac Pro with a 1TB M2 SSD (from my Windows PC) but it doesn't show up in disk utility? I know I have to format it but thought it would at least show up in disk utility? Any ideas?

The adapter I received already has tape on the contacts that were shorting out on the early adapters so I don't think it's that.
Stupid question...you’ve already migrated to High Sierra, right?

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
It's an NVME drive. I'm launching Disk Utility from the internet restore window and I don't have a "View" button? I have attached a screenshot (apologies for the quality!).

View attachment 746545
Both recovery modes did not work for me to set up an NVMe disk. You have to boot into full High Sierra to initialize an NVMe disk. For now, on Mac Pro 2013 this requires a two-disk setup, with one of the disks connected externally. Similar to what noodle654 said. Yes and MarkJames68 mentioning High Sierra, you should be running the very latest version of High Sierra if you can tolerate it.

Update: Based on feedback (Kris Kelvin), Option-Command-R is now working for NVMe. It hadn't worked previously because you needed a developer beta of High Sierra to properly use NVMe and internet recovery only pulls non-beta.

Last edited:

Kris Kelvin

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2005
still not showing up
  • Not all NVMe drives are compatible. Unfortunately, there's no definitive list. Samsung's 960 series seems to work for everyone. Here is a report of someone using a Toshiba XG3.
  • The speed will be limited to how many PCIe lanes your Mac supports. Here's an overview over different Models.
  • High Sierra must previously have been installed on this Mac (on an AHCI drive). Installing High Sierra upgrades the Mac's EFI Firmware / Boot ROM, allowing for NVMe drives to work. The latest Boot ROM for MacPro6,1 is MP61.0120.B00.
  • Your adapter looks to be the Chenyang/CableCC one. Several people reported problems with it. The ones from Sintech and PC PARTS 239 seem to be working properly (including sleep, reboot etc.).
  • Make sure the adapter is properly seated and aligned. If it isn't, it might work with fever PCIe lanes (= slower) or not at all.
  • Taping the adapter with EM shielding (e.g. Kapton tape) is recommended to prevent EM leaks / shorts.
  • High Sierra (or later) is required when using a NVMe SSD. If you're using Internet Recovery, make sure you boot with Option-Command-R (and not just Command-R), so the latest compatible version of macOS is loaded. Bootable installers on USB also work.
  • A heat sink for the SSD is not required, but might help sustain performance when stressing it over a long time. This one fits: EK-M.2
  • High Sierra's Disk Utility may not show uninitialized devices. If your SSD isn't shown, try this:
    1. Open Disk Utility
    3. Relaunch Disk Utility

Last edited:

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
If you're using Internet Recovery, make sure you boot with Option-Command-R (and not just Command-R), so the latest compatible version of macOS is loaded.
At the time I had tried both methods of recovery and neither had worked for the NVMe. That was when only the version of High Sierra in the developer beta worked for NVMe (which was only a few weeks ago). Internet recovery doesn't use developer betas. I'm not sure if local recovery will use developer beta. You tested this yourself? If not I wouldn't trust it.

Update: Based on feedback (Kris Kelvin), Option-Command-R is now working for NVMe.

Dumping a sea of info in the middle of the thread attempting to converge on someone's problem+solution pair is not quite as helpful as following the thread and under the guise of contextual relevance make a more concise statement. Less boilerplate responses (I update the first post of the thread as good feedback comes in). Try and spice things up to keep it interesting.

For example, my personal take on the gem in your response was "Your adapter looks the be the Chenyang/CableCC one. Several people reported problems with it. The ones from Sintech and PC PARTS 239 seem to be working properly (including sleep, reboot etc.)."

Last edited:

Kris Kelvin

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2005
Dumping a sea of info in the middle of the thread attempting to converge on someone's problem+solution pair is not quite as helpful as following the thread

I don't agree. I've posted this because it would have helped me a few weeks ago.
This thread is already 10 pages long and touches various topics. Lots of additional useful info is hidden in the 50 pages long thread about NVMe drives in MacBooks. Few people read all of these posts. A lot of them end up in the middle of a thread through Google.

But yeah, a threaded forum is probably the worst way to collect technical information like this...

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I've posted this because it would have helped me a few weeks ago ... But yeah, a threaded forum is probably the worst way to collect technical information like this...

Sure I see the nobility of your action. Even though I point it out, really not a problem. I'm glad for your insight. If in fact, this compilation of yours is the distillation of all relevant feedback from NVMe-related MacRumors threads then bravo. I think the human touch added by your backstory makes the information more digestible.

If you find a good thread, the needed info is usually in the first post, and then you are done. You jump in to give or get help with a more specific problem rather than giving the 'everything you need is right here' post in the middle of the thread. Most threads are a flowing conversation other than the first post. I'll pull some of your feedback into the first post and due credit.

Yeah, a lot of threads where the person who started the thread does not go back and continue updating the first post. That is not ideal. You'll note in threads started by moderators they usually have the first post as a live document representing the thread. I am following that model, or at least attempting to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kris Kelvin

pr33tz

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
London, UK
Just to confirm the adapter I'm using was purchased from Sintech using a link posted earlier in the thread (yes, I read the whole thread before posting). I also read about some owners taping the contacts to avoid shorting. The adapter I have has tape applied to it already (see attached image).

Prior to installing the SSD, I upgraded to High Sierra and applied the latest update. I've tried booting from a HS USB installer and with an install of HS on an external drive and neither recognised the SSD.

It could be a faulty adapter or it could be that the SSD is not compatible. I've ordered a 1TB Samsung 960 Pro so I will try that when it arrives.

IMG_8335.jpg

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
@pr33tz

what about the screw? to me it looks like it is awfully close to some of the solder pads..!? did you make sure that it is not shorting out anything?

Toshiba XG3/XG4 have been tested and confirmed working at least in the MacBook Pros -> #630
do you know what type of model your SSD is? AFAIK XG5 models have not been tested so far.

pr33tz

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
London, UK
@pr33tz

what about the screw? to me it looks like it is awfully close to some of the solder pads..!? did you make sure that it is not shorting out anything?

Toshiba XG3/XG4 have been tested and confirmed working at least in the MacBook Pros -> #630
do you know what type of model your SSD is? AFAIK XG5 models have not been tested so far.

Good shout on the screw. I didn't notice it "touching" when I installed it but I'll double check. According to model number the SSD is a Toshiba XG4 (Dell OEM from a Precision workstation).

Kris Kelvin

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2005
At the time I had tried both methods of recovery and neither had worked for the NVMe. That was when only the version of High Sierra in the developer beta worked for NVMe (which was only a few weeks ago).

I've just verified that booting with Option-Command-R indeed boots into High Sierra Recovery on my MacPro6,1. Disk Utility version is 17.0 (1635), there is a "View" button top left and it properly shows my Samsung 960.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I've just verified that booting with Option-Command-R indeed boots into High Sierra Recovery on my MacPro6,1 ... and it properly shows my Samsung 960.
Sweet thanks for verifying. Avoiding the chicken or egg situation should be helpful for those coming on board NVMe.
[doublepost=1516029185][/doublepost]Updated first post with Kris Kelvin's feedback (haven't had time to integrate or edit, for now, it is plopped in there unedited).

Also finally flattened the dual CPU board - meaning it is silky smooth on both sides but still not thoroughly sanded down to the first layer of trace. I switched to fiberglass pen and higher grit sandpaper earlier on so it is taking longer (and also the board is bigger).

A Mac Pro 2013 CPU Riser Card should be on its way. That should be the last board I need to sand down in order to map the pins of the two graphics flex cable connectors.

20180115-062906.jpg

20180115-062911.jpg

20180115-062854.jpg

20180115-062901.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.