Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I left my Mac Pro at the office so I'll test tonight.

Yeah I checked last night at the office it was definitely the wrong firmware revision. I downloaded the combo update to attempt updating the firmware a second time but I forgot to launch it before I started disassembling my Mac Pro.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
lol i have 6 hours to attempt to put my mac pro back together outside of its original trash can prison. if the lucker even still works i probably destroyed it in the teardown process.

20180401_234247.jpg

Last edited:

bradl001

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2002
I came here for the NVMe information but I'm staying to see how this conversion turns out.

My fingers are crossed that @CodeJingle is successful and that the Sintech (ST-NGFF2013) works when I get it. [Should I have gotten model ST-NGFF2013-C?]

Reactions: CodeJingle

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
So I was wrong, the holes on the board for heatsink mount are slighty different from standard. It looked right when I eyeballed it, at least for the CPU Riser Card, but going to actually mount it there is a slight difference. I probably can’t afford to custom mill a hunk of metal as an adapter. I’m not using the trash can heat sink either.

I can work around this if I permamently secure the heatsink to the board, but then I cannot remove the CPU afterwards or it will be destroyed. I wanted to switch from 12 core 2.7ghz E5-2697 v2 to 8 core 3.3ghz E5-2667 v2. Anyone who has an E5-2667 v2 and prefers more cores to more ghz want to swap before I sign this CPU’s death note?

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
So I was wrong, the holes on the board for heatsink mount are slighty different from standard. It looked right when I eyeballed it, at least for the CPU Riser Card, but going to actually mount it there is a slight difference. I probably can’t afford to custom mill a hunk of metal as an adapter. I’m not using the trash can heat sink either.

I can work around this if I permamently secure the heatsink to the board, but then I cannot remove the CPU afterwards or it will be destroyed. I wanted to switch from 12 core 2.7ghz E5-2697 v2 to 8 core 3.3ghz E5-2667 v2. Anyone who has an E5-2667 v2 and prefers more cores to more ghz want to swap before I sign this CPU’s death note?
Had I known this 2 weeks ago I would have swapped but I just bought another 2667 for a dual CPU server I’m setting up :(

Why not pick up a cheap 4 core for $50 and not worry about trashing it later?

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Int...pO48ntjDWm4xDN7A5-4aAv-TEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

jclmavg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
I have two 4 core XEONS around here somewhere, I'm willing to donate you one for testing CodeJingle.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Why not pick up a cheap 4 core for $50 and not worry about trashing it later?

Well I am doing all this work now to upgrade my main machine, and I might pot the heat sink to the board, which would make it impossible to swap out the CPU later. I have the best RAM and the best NVMe drive, and trying to upgrade the GPUs. Give all that it would be kind of silly not to max out the CPU. I'll just keep working on a solution that allows me to swap the CPU later.
[doublepost=1522785856][/doublepost]
I have two 4 core XEONS around here somewhere, I'm willing to donate you one for testing CodeJingle.
Thanks I am going to take a little more time try to come up with a better solution. I will let you know :)

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
For example on mapping pins without probing. Notice which pins have the full oval and which have the open cross-hair:
header_unmarked.png

This is the bottom of the receptacle socket in the Logic Board that the CPU Riser Card plugs into. Sanded down to a ground plane (or power or signal that is taking over nearly the entire layer other than VIAs, but probably ground). The solid copper is all connected together. Copper pours into the cross-hairs making all ovals with cross-hairs share the same electrical connection (every pair of cross-hair ovals will pass the continuity test).

There are at least 53 cross-hair ovals here. We can group them together using the same color coding in the pin-out spreadsheet.

header_marked.png

I guess this is the start of documenting the Mac Pro 2013 connector pins.

A reminder that the socket connects 324 pins between the CPU Riser Card and Logic Board not just what is pictured (~164 pins).

Last edited:
Reactions: Halbertus

Fleent

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
IMG_1246.jpg%2B2018-04-04%2B02-50-06.png

Unfortunately, I failed when i trying to install this on my Mac Pro 2013. I read this thread and i tried all the ways that here, but Disk Utility doesn't see this disk.

Last edited:

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Unfortunately, I failed when trying to install this on my Mac Pro 2013. I read this thread, but Disk Utility doesn't see this disk.

If you are using a known good adapter, and have heat tape applied to the crevice, and are running latest High Sierra (or using the high sierra flavor of internet restore), and it still doesn't work, then maybe try reseating both nvme and adapter (maybe several times).

Fleent

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Helsinki, Finland
If you are using a known good adapter, and have heat tape applied to the crevice, and are running latest High Sierra (or using the high sierra flavor of internet restore), and it still doesn't work, then maybe try reseating both nvme and adapter (maybe several times).
Yes, of course, i do. I think i need to find any other adapter, but some links from this thread no longer work.

IMG_1250.jpg%2B2018-04-04%2B03-15-31.png

Perhaps this adapter is incompatible with this drive, but every time I have a reboot and an error screen, this adapter from Sintech .

Last edited:

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Perhaps this adapter is incompatible with this drive, but every time I have a reboot and an error screen, this adapter from Sintech .
Your link suggests ST-NGFF2013 which according to the thread is known good. The issue is not the 960 Pro that is also known good. So I'm not sure. You said you have heat tape in the crevice?

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Yes, i tried the heat tape too.
The first post of this thread has extensive instructions. You might check in a different computer to make sure the nvme is not DOA. If using those instructions with a model of adapter and model of nvme that are both known good and not doa then i have no idea. Maybe in that case someone else who knows will reply.

eighty101

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2018
Hi everyone, was watching this topic as I want to upgrade my 256tb SSD from my 2013 mac pro .
Was thinking about buying the standard ssd second hand for 600 euros as the fiddling with the adapter and some negative expieriences from users put me of. Is the speed increase of the samsung 960 towards the standard ssd really worth it?

I thought the standard ssd gives around 1000mb/s write / read speeds and the samsung 1400mb/s

jclmavg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2014
Hi everyone, was watching this topic as I want to upgrade my 256tb SSD from my 2013 mac pro .
Was thinking about buying the standard ssd second hand for 600 euros as the fiddling with the adapter and some negative expieriences from users put me of. Is the speed increase of the samsung 960 towards the standard ssd really worth it?

I thought the standard ssd gives around 1000mb/s write / read speeds and the samsung 1400mb/s
You might also want to check out Transcend's Jetdrive 820 series. You can switch out your original drive with these without the need for an adapter.

eighty101

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2018
You might also want to check out Transcend's Jetdrive 820 series. You can switch out your original drive with these without the need for an adapter.

Oh thanks, didn't hear of those. But they don't seem to exist in 1tb if I'm correct?

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017

There’s not a material difference as long as you get the SSUBX drive and not SSUAX which is the original drive and half the speed.

I got the Samsung as I wanted 2TB.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Last edited:

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
That is some heatsink. How did you fix that sucker?
the cpu heat-sink is just placed loosely on top of the cpu riser card for the purposes of the photo. i still need to mount the cpu heat-sink. another reason i haven't tried to turn it on yet. standard air-based heatsinks for lga 2011 are huge

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.