Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
1) This is the first Apple computer that has an entirely 1st party chain of custody. It doesn't leak the same as a product made at a production plant out of Shenzhen or Guangdong. The leak has to come from inside Apple. I expect the service manual will show up when the machine is older. Check again in a couple of years.

2) In the same vein as the previous answer, I can find schematics for nearly every other Apple computer. And I can also find schematics for most iPhone models. But not Mac Pro 2013. Quite infuriating. It isn't a locked-down device it is supposed to be a computer that puts control back in the user's hands. I fully upgraded my Mac Pro 2013 in the Apple store when I bought it in December 2013. And for all that money I can't get minimum documentation of the pinout for the graphics board flex cable.

3) Let me clarify the 'how electricity works' bit. The metal housing of the Mac Pro 2013, including the external cover, act as both a heat sink and as 'ground.' I don't think any portion of the solid metal housing is used for transferring active power it is exclusive for grounding purposes. The extra electrical charge that has left the circuits and is floating in the metal housing is pulled toward earth ground, the third prong in your AC outlet. Without proper grounding, the extra charge will continue to flow around the housing like a faraday cage building up more charge and eventually will arc and discharge as static electricity, either outside or back into a circuit inside the housing. In the case of internal static discharge, it will continue to damage the computer until a board frys, or you switch to an outlet with proper grounding. I recommend always connecting the Mac Pro 2013 through a UPS, since most of them check for failure to ground and will refuse to operate until the ground fault is fixed.

Legacy PC-esque towers also have large metal plates inside the casing and usually, the slide-open access door is also made of metal. It is easy enough to sprawl out all the components of a disassembled Mac Pro 2013 removed from its original metal housing and insert those components into a legacy tower with all components mounted to at least be touching one of metal walls of the casing. The stray charge will get pulled toward the outlet and drained to earth ground.

How NOT to re-build your Mac Pro 2013 after removing it from the case
http://www.instructables.com/id/Standing-PC-Case/

Picture of unpopulated metal tower (hint: all metal; made to be well grounded aka anti-static)
View attachment 734938

Picture of a populated metal tower (hint: all metal; all installed components have at least one bare metal surface in contact with the bare metal of the housing.
View attachment 734940

Bypassing the "don't turn on your computer when the lid is off" is pretty simple. It is also easy to re-ground all of the components after removing them from the original casing. Those are baby steps.

Compare that to the effort and time required for using a razor blade to gently scrape off the top and bottom layer trace coating of both working graphics cards without destroying them. To create a separate ~300-pin breakout board for the two flex cables. The time just to build one ~300 pin breakout board by hand is a whole day, ~8 hours straight for a build of high enough quality that the Mac Pro 2013 still works in pass-thru. Then buy and use several expensive logic probes fast enough to handle the full bandwidth of PCIe 2.0.

Anyone have a Mac Pro 2013 they want to donate? Even if it is trashed and doesn't work, I can still use it to figure this out. At a minimum, I would need an extra left graphics card, an extra right graphics card, and two extra graphics board flex cables. I have a lower-end logic probe and a few oscilloscopes; I can make due with that for now combined with my own Mac Pro 2013 once I have those extra parts.
Fascinating. Is your testing destructive to the subject nMP?

Reactions: itdk92

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
Fascinating. Is your testing destructive to the subject nMP?

It depends. With schematics/layout already in hand, I would say non-destructive. Without schematics/layout, I have to create them myself, which requires scraping off each layer of trace on each of the left/right GPU boards and draw up the schematics/layout myself (by the end of which the original left/right boards are destroyed which is why I need another pair of them). Once I have the schematics/layout I can start testing a direct x16 connection between the CPU and a newer GPU such as a Vega. Some of the pins need to pass-through to the original left/right GPU boards (the non-destroyed ones) because those boards contain supporting circuitry for non-graphics features such as the hard drive. The GPU portion of the original left/right cards will no longer be connected to the CPU. Instead, the newer GPUs will be connected. So I have to do a very intelligent partial split of the graphics board flex cable pins, between the original left/right and a pair of newer GPUs.

"I think we designed ourselves into a bit of a thermal corner"
https://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives

You will note that Apple admitted the Mac Pro 2013 aluminum enclosure is at thermal capacity with a pair of D700s. Which means the enclosure overheats with newer GPUs (if those GPUs run hotter than D700s), or WOULD overheat with newer GPUs [if they ever come to market]. We already know we have to do a full teardown of the Mac Pro 2013 to throw away the trash can enclosure model and replace it with one that doesn't easily overheat such as with a more traditional tower enclosure. Arguably throwing away half of the computer is destructive, even if the part being thrown away doesn't contain any electronics. Though technically the enclosure has only been separated from the electronics and hasn't been physically altered. If you kept all the pieces of the original enclosure for posterity, you might only need a dab of adhesive and a dab of thermal paste to restore it to its original condition (assuming non-destroyed left/right GPU boards).

Update - Since the CPU pinout is public I might be able to use continuity testing to track the progress of the set of PCIe pins from the unpopulated CPU socket to the left/right graphics cards. It really depends whether those pins are pass-thru from the graphics card to the CPU. I hope they are. If so the testing process would be completely non-destructive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flint Ironstag

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
In other words, you'll turn it into a Hackintosh.

Wouldn't buying/building a Hackintosh be much simpler, cheaper, and more reliable?

No sir I am turning a Mac Pro 2013 into a Mac Pro 2010/2012 with upgraded internals. It is in no way a Hackintosh. I am open to debate how swapping out one heatsink for another changes the computer from a Mac to a Hackintosh. The hard drive I just upgraded, even the GPU upgrade I am planning (Vega), they are both the same as what is shipping in the iMac Pro. It is 100% Mac all the way.

Though if I were doing this properly I would also buy an actual Mac Pro 2010/2012 and gut it out, use that case for the Mac Pro 2013 transplant.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I am open to debate how swapping out one heatsink for another changes the computer from a Mac to a Hackintosh.
I would open the debate by saying that if you add a modern GPU (red or green) - it's no longer an nMP, it's a Hackintosh.

You're assuming that the nMP's bastard EFI BIOS will even recognize something other than the anemic ATI cards (D300/D500/D700).

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I would open the debate by saying that if you add a modern GPU (red or green) - it's no longer an nMP, it's a Hackintosh.

You're assuming that the nMP's bastard EFI BIOS will even recognize something other than the anemic ATI cards (D300/D500/D700).

As we get into debate lets keep in mind mutual respect etc. If you read my last post, I stated that iMac Pro is shipping with Vega, and Vega is what I plan to upgrade to. Driver support trickles across all machines in the Mac Pro/iMac Pro line, just like it did for the unsupported hard drive I just installed on my machine, its driver support tricked down from other products such as the iMac Pro.

Further, macOS High Sierra officially supports eGPU. As a side effect of that, compatibility for graphics cards has gone up. If you buy a modern graphics card for macOS use, there is a strong possibility of finding good drivers. There is no incentive for Apple to add the driver for eGPU over Thunderbolt but refuse to enable the driver for 'iGPU' over PCIe.

Also, and this is probably even more relevant, the 2010/2012 Mac Pro still exists. It has regular PCIe slots. People put whatever graphics card they want in there, and it seems to work. Whatever driver support is on iMac Pro and Mac Pro 2010/2012 will also exist in Mac Pro 2013.

I agree a Hackintosh is cheaper. I think our agreements about Hackintosh end there. I've tried Hackintosh before; it isn't reliable for me. And in some regards, the legality of Hackintosh is questionable. I use my Mac Pro at the office for legit embedded developer work, including iOS Apps in the App Store. I'm not going to do official company iOS App development on a Hackintosh. I am betting everything works out fine. I like a challenge. I would be fine doing all this work and it flopped because Apple refused to add driver support. Though I value your feedback, it is something I've already taken into account. I started in the industry with high-end PC running Windows. I'm not against PCs/Windows.

If I can put off for four more years spending $10k [+ tax] on a new server, then it is worth a few thousand dollars of investment to upgrade my current server. I just upgraded to two terabytes of storage, soon I'll have 128 GB of RAM, and then eventually hopefully I'm running Vega instead of FirePro. To me those goals are reasonable. The money I spent on the highest-end fully decked out Mac Pro 2013 is a serious investment why would I throw that away. Give me credit for trying to be more creative than that. Hackintosh has been done before.

Last edited:

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
I think it’s a worthy goal, but I do agree with AidenShaw in that success will depend on out of the box support for a card such as Vega when wired in. It appears that 32 PCI lanes are taken by the 2 cards, so it’s logical to assume that it IS possible. First challenge is doing the pin outs, second will be to find a way to run cable to 2 cards (doubt it would boot with a single one, but who knows) in a clean fashion. Not a lot of room in that little trash can.

I’ll personally stick to the eGPU at least for the foreseeable future with the RX580. Maybe look at Vega when the drivers are fully baked and when eGPU chassis are slimmer and smaller.

I wish there was a way to aggregate 2 TB2 busses for eGPU use. That would be an interesting mod and x8 shouldn’t bottleneck most cards.

Last edited:

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I wish there was a way to aggregate 2 TB2 busses for eGPU use

Is plugging in two eGPU currently not supported? Has anyone tried it?

...and keeping the MP6,1 BIOS from injecting D300 firmware into a Vega.

The OS, even pre-boot, is going to know it isn't a D300/D500/D700. If the cards work then in the worst case, an OS/bootloader update that would normally also update the firmware on the graphics cards skips that step. It isn't that bad if the firmware on the cards never gets updated. I could update the GPU firmware from a Windows box or possibly from Windows on BootCamp. The Mac Pro 2010/2012 are still in use, the OS/bootloader knows what to do with nearly any graphics card, and I expect that PCIe graphics smartness is part of both the OS and bootloader running on Mac Pro 2013. We will find out anyway. Do you agree or disagree? https://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/27/apple-announces-new-mac-pros-with-up-to-12-cores-ssd-options/

@CodeJingle I admire your effort dissecting the nMP to connect PCIe GPUs. Outside of Apple, I don't think anyone has undertaken this task yet. Would love to see how this turns out.

Other than some research I haven't started yet. I just blew $1200+ on the 2 TB hard drive upgrade, which in itself is a kind of pre-cursor test leading up to the GPU stuff. I need to save up to buy an extra pair of left/right GPUs to destroy in the process of creating a schematic to understand better the 300 pin connector going to each card. I've found schematics for nearly every Mac ever made except the Mac Pro 2013, and it continues to enrage me because the schematic always has diagrams for every set of pinouts and it would save me a lot of time and money. I plan to remove the trash can enclosure after getting either the schematic or an extra pair of left/right cards. The way things are going I would say Q1 2018.

Last edited:

theitsage

Suspended
Aug 28, 2005
Is plugging in two eGPU currently not supported? Has anyone tried it?

Other than some research I haven't started yet. I just blew $1200+ on the 2 TB hard drive upgrade, which in itself is a kind of pre-cursor test leading up to the GPU stuff. I need to save up to buy an extra pair of left/right GPUs to destroy in the process of creating a schematic to understand better the 300 pin connector going to each card. I've found schematics for nearly every Mac ever made except the Mac Pro 2013, and it continues to enrage me because the schematic always has diagrams for every set of pinouts and it would save me a lot of time and money. I plan to remove the trash can enclosure after getting either the schematic or an extra pair of left/right cards. The way things are going I would say Q1 2018.

From my experience, it's one eGPU per Thunderbolt controller. The nMP has three TBT controllers and can handle upto 3 eGPUs. RX Vega drivers are getting better now that iMac Pro launch is near.

1973-late-2013-mac-pro-3x-rx480-egpu.png

Reactions: CodeJingle

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
From my experience, it's one eGPU per Thunderbolt controller. The nMP has three TBT controllers and can handle upto 3 eGPUs. RX Vega drivers are getting better now that iMac Pro launch is near.

View attachment 735319
That’s my understanding as well. What I wondered was if there was a way to sync 2 TB busses to get TB3 bandwidth (less some overhead). I think not, and I imagine signaling would take up a lot.

Would be interesting though, but as the Pro is the only system with more than one bus it is a very niche solution.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I plan to remove the trash can enclosure after getting either the schematic or an extra pair of left/right cards. The way things are going I would say Q1 2018.

Ok I changed my mind. I can probably begin transplant of the enclosure this weekend, or at least begin the process of getting all the tools necessary to do so. I'll be starting another thread for that. I still don't have the connector pin diagram so the GPU stuff is still on hold, but literally any custom work I would want to attempt will be easier out of this imprisoning enclosure. I drag my computer every day between home and work so in that regard a larger case will suck, but overall still worth it.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
This is fascinating.

Unfortunately Apple seems to treat the 2013 Mac Pro's GPUs like they are a national security matter. I remember when people had dead boards and went in for a warranty swap the shops said they couldn't keep any GPU boards in inventory because Apple required a diagnosed dead board before they'd let an authorized service shop order a new one.

There are D500 GPUs on Ebay right now, which is a fairly rare event. But the prices will give you a heart attack.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your project.

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
There are D500 GPUs on Ebay right now, which is a fairly rare event. But the prices will give you a heart attack.

The most economical option to gain a large number of spare parts for custom work on a Mac Pro 2013 is to buy another one. Otherwise, they sell the left/right graphics cards on mac repair sites. To get an extra pair of left/right cards with another two flex cables [when buying new] will run from $1210 to $2390.

http://www.macpartsonline.com/mac-pro-parts/mac-pro-late-2013-a1481-parts.html

Last edited:

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
You CAN buy new stock boards, I think the best price for D700s were around $750 each (one A and one B board). At that price I could buy a nMP - 6-core D700 prices are slipping to around $2600 - and swap things around and resell a 6-core with D300 for around $2000.

But thanks to the RX580 eGPU it’s moot now. Once I put in the 2TB I think I’m done messing around and just want to use the thing!

StrawberryX

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2013
Antwerp
I got a mp 6.1 in Oktober.
A refurb for 1500 euro.
With 2 year warrenty ( BE/EU ).

A Project like thiswould be bad for the warrenty.

But having spare parts ... for all the tech I use for a living.
Or just spare computer/camera's for the one's I use.

I saw a performance benmark between a cooled and non cooled Samsung 951
and the performance difference was pretty big.
The cooled one had stellar performance ... the non cooled permance went up and down in spikes.

My biggest fear, when the SSD in my nMP failes, prices wil be astronomical.
They are already now ... if you find new on ebay or whatever.

I work with medium format cameras. I was working on an expo and the nMP blocked,
because of scratch disk space in PS. Atm. I have a 960GB blade in a TB2 enclosure.
And a 5TB USB 3.0 ( with 2 TB free for scratch space ).
2 TB was not enough.

My cMP 3.1 never ran out of scratch disk space.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
The OS, even pre-boot, is going to know it isn't a D300/D500/D700. If the cards work then in the worst case, an OS/bootloader update that would normally also update the firmware on the graphics cards skips that step.
Two questions about this....

Back in one of the flame wars about "there will be upgrade GPUs for the MP6,1 because of the screws", I believe that it was mentioned that there's no NVRAM on the Dx00 GPUs - it was said that the BIOS loads the firmware onto the card at each boot. I can't find any confirmation or rebuttal of this today, however.

Whether there is NVRAM or not, the second question is whether the BIOS/bootloader ignores the failure of the Dx00 firmware update - or whether it's considered to be a fatal error that halts the system.

owbp

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
it was mentioned that there's no NVRAM on the Dx00 GPUs - it was said that the BIOS loads the firmware onto the card at each boot

I would guess that if there is no explicit 'here, I am' IC on the board for non-volatile memory that there is a little bit tucked into one of the memory modules (DRAM and NVRAM in the same package). The main GPU chip might have onboard storage. It seems tragic to manufacture something as complex as a graphics card in 2013 and not be able to update its internal firmware.

whether the BIOS/bootloader ignores the failure of the Dx00 firmware update - or whether it's considered to be a fatal error that halts the system

As long as it runs fine with its current firmware, a graphics card not wanting to accept new firmware doesn't cause the Mac Pro 2013 to hang. You can call me on this later if it turns out to be incorrect.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
As long as the graphics card runs fine with its current firmware, a graphics card not wanting to accept a firmware or firmware update doesn't cause the Mac Pro 2013 to hang.
You've tested this with a Vega or Pascal in an MP6,1?

I'm skeptical because I've dealt with many cases of the BIOS rejecting devices simply because they aren't on the "white list" of supported devices.

For example, I've seen it mentioned here that the MP6,1 won't boot if the 2nd "compute" GPU is missing.

Certainly, nothing should keep the OS from running with only the graphics GPU. But, the BIOS decides that one GPU is not acceptable - and halts the boot.

Last edited:

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
I'm skeptical because I've dealt with many cases of the BIOS rejecting devices simply because they aren't on the "white list" of supported devices.

It may still need to be whitelisted. If the iMac Pro bootloader adds a whitelist for Vega, I'm hoping that update trickles down to Mac Pro 2013 bootloader. There are only a handful of workstation-class graphics cards on the market, even including all of the cards the list would be small.

You've tested this with a Vega or Pascal in an MP6,1?

I am speculating. I won't know till I test it. Getting to that point from where I am now may take a couple of months. I've had another idea halfway through today to map the connector pins of the graphics cards without having to destroy a pair of left/right cards (using continuity testing), though I would still prefer to swap out the trash can enclosure before starting that.

For example, I've seen it mentioned here that the MP6,1 won't boot if the 2nd "compute" GPU is missing.

I'm sure someone knows how to boot a Mac Pro 2013 so that it works with only one of the graphics cards. Though the hard drive is embedded in one of the cards which makes it tricky. I assume the two GPUs must be replaced simultaneously and the replacement also have to be workstation class.

Last edited:

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Reactions: AidenShaw

CodeJingle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Greater Seattle, WA
A Project like thiswould be bad for the warrenty.

I bought my Mac Pro 2013 in December 2013. Warranty expired :)

I saw a performance benmark between a cooled and non cooled Samsung 951 and the performance difference was pretty big. The cooled one had stellar performance ... the non cooled permance went up and down in spikes.

I am using a heatsink and combined with the air flow it should never overheat. If you are worried about performance throttling because of heat then get a heatsink.

My biggest fear, when the SSD in my nMP failes, prices wil be astronomical.
They are already now ... if you find new on ebay or whatever.

The prices keep going up because the hard drives keep getting faster. The current generation of SSD is 3 gigabytes per second throughput which is blazing fast but also blazes through your wallet. Once the hard drive speed stops doubling every couple years then the the prices will go back down. I doubt you prefer the speed of platter even if you prefer the price.

2 TB was not enough.
4 TB NVMe will be available soon. It is an option on the iMac Pro so we can assume Samsung will announce availability in the next few months. I expect it will cost ~$2k. You can get 4 TB now from MacSales but it isn't using the latest technology it is slow and they charge too much for it.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDA13MP4.0K/

Last edited:
Reactions: ActionableMango
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.