Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weaztek

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2009
Madison
I have the same Mini you are looking at. It was running well under Mojave, but there are a few bugs in Catalina still. I'd expect a more polished OS within a month or so. Some of that will rely on developers (like Adobe) updating to fix app bugs.

Forti

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2018
Gdynia, Poland
Ye, I'm not working with graphics that much. Only programming, so emulators / simulators and from time to time adobe XD / Figma.

To be honest I'm a bit afraid of getting $1.300 hardware that may cause so much trouble to me :)

I would wait for the new macbook with scissor keyboard but 16" is waaay to much for me, and 13/14" probably won't be launched for next one year. Who knows.. :D

Damm, this is tought.

Originalbitman

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2012
I have the 24” LG UltraFine 4K set at 2304x1296 and pretty much love it. UI / text is very readable and sharp to my eyes. But then I’m coming from a ten year old 23” ACD.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I would expect the bandwidth of system RAM bandwidth to be the bottleneck for integrated graphics, not capacity. In that regard, all configurations people are using are dual-channel PC4-21333.

That is why the tiny little 128MB eDRAM which is on CPUs with Intel Iris Plus makes all the difference, because it has like 5x the bandwidth of system RAM.

Last edited:
Reactions: dabotsonline

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I would expect the bandwidth of system RAM bandwidth to be the bottleneck for integrated graphics, not capacity. In that regard, all configurations people are using are dual-channel PC4-21333.

That doesn't reflect reality. 4K displays on 8GB RAM systems apparently perform very poorly. On 16GB+ its fine for a single display (even using a "scaled" resolution).

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
Wait, how does RAM affect display performance?
There were a number of reports when mini first came out (see earlier in this thread probably): It appears that macOS is temporarily paging out system RAM to the onboard SSD in order for complex GUI animations. The paging is temporary - but causes jerkiness on things like Launchpad. >16Gb RAM and the problem seems to go away.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I got macbook pro 2018 connected to LG 27UK850-w. In my opinion the quality is good enough. Colors, resolutions. It's pretty fine. Connected via USB-C

Right now I'm about to get mac mini 2018, i5 16gb. Any chance there could be some issues?

Also - just so I won't do another post - the problem with remote magic keyboard and trackpad with Wi-Fi 2.4Ghz still exist?
I have a packed pixels 9.7” 2048x1536 and ultrafine 4k 21.5” 4096x2304 connected to a mini running hidpi nonscaled and it works great - no lag.
i7/32gb

usb/wifiand bluetooth interference is rare but it happens.

Reactions: Synchro3

Shedlock2000

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2019
I know this is dragging up a dormant thread, but does anyone know if theses scaling/processing issues occur with the new 2019 Mac Minis?

I am thinking of moving to a Mac Mini and three 21"/24" screens or something similar as my new iMac is causing me serious grief.

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
I know this is dragging up a dormant thread, but does anyone know if theses scaling/processing issues occur with the new 2019 Mac Minis?

I am thinking of moving to a Mac Mini and three 21"/24" screens or something similar as my new iMac is causing me serious grief.
There is no 2019 Mac mini

Shedlock2000

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2019
There is no 2019 Mac mini

I've just looked on the Mac Website -- and I probably didn't explain myself clearly enough. Mac are presenting a 'new' Mac Mini (which I assumed was the 2019) with a slightly different output size to regular screen scaling (I think):

Screenshot 2020-04-14 at 5.16.08 PM.png

I was going to amp up the RAM -- but I need 3 screens of 4K or over. I am, frankly, awfully confused but wondered if the new display output of 4096 x 2304 was more standard for 24" monitors....

I am currently running 3 iMacs (two slaves in Display-Port setting),

IMG_2735.jpeg

but the iMac I have is driving me nuts and I need to restart it every couple of days to get it to run properly -- so I am thinking of switching out to a less complicated set up. I had thought a new Mac Mini would be the way forwards, but after reading this thread I am more confused than I was before!

• Haha
Reactions: crowe-t and frou

thirdsun

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2018
That answers that question, then! So there's still no solution :(

There is: Use the proper 2x scaling. Again, it's unfortunate that 4k rather than 5k resolutions have become the default on 27 inch displays, but I've actually come to terms with this slightly larger 2x scaling of 4k on 27" since I sit relatively far away from my displays and my eyes benefit from it. If this seems too large for you use the few 4k / 24" options or, if you're feeling generous, expensive 5k / 27" displays.

For me everything is fine at 2x scaling. Don't use non-integer scaling and you should be good - it's a waste of hardware resources.

And to clarify: The Mac Mini 2019 is still the 2018 version with an overdue price and configuration adjustment.

Shedlock2000

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2019
There is: Use the proper 2x scaling.

Does this not reduce the benefit of the 4K's crispness, though? Scaling anything merely doubles (or quadruples) the blur by reducing the pixels on point, though? No?

I am searching for high pixel-density to help reduce the blur on letters (I read a lot of documents and mount them on many screens). The 4K I have on my iMac is significantly superior to those on my older iMac screens.

It doesn't help that I have a slight stigmatism that cannot be properly corrected in differing focal depths (such as distance and then close up for computer work). But I spend about 20 hours a day in front of my computer -- so these slight blurs matter!

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Does this not reduce the benefit of the 4K's crispness, though?
No, he's talking about exactly the same method as your 4K iMac uses (although I think they use DCI 4K not UHD 4K, so it's a slightly higher 'looks like' resolution).

If you want 4K on a Mac personally I'd recommend a 24" 4K (or one of the LG 21.5" if you can find one still).

Reactions: Shedlock2000

arvinsim

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2018
I am doing the 2x 4k scaling on my 32" monitor. But honestly, I can't see the difference between 1x and 2x at that resolution. 2x 1080p or 2x 1440p is noticeable though.

Reactions: Shedlock2000

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
I've just looked on the Mac Website -- and I probably didn't explain myself clearly enough. Mac are presenting a 'new' Mac Mini (which I assumed was the 2019) with a slightly different output size to regular screen scaling (I think):

View attachment 905959

I was going to amp up the RAM -- but I need 3 screens of 4K or over. I am, frankly, awfully confused but wondered if the new display output of 4096 x 2304 was more standard for 24" monitors....

I am currently running 3 iMacs (two slaves in Display-Port setting),

View attachment 905960

but the iMac I have is driving me nuts and I need to restart it every couple of days to get it to run properly -- so I am thinking of switching out to a less complicated set up. I had thought a new Mac Mini would be the way forwards, but after reading this thread I am more confused than I was before!
IF you want three 4k screens (even without scaling) you'll probably need an eGPU. A lowish end one such as a RX 570 would be plenty.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
I continue to get good service from my twice-upgraded 2009 27" iMac, but when it finally goes south I'm planning to get a Mini and run either two 27" or two 24" monitors (I like real estate). I'm getting a sense from various discussions on this topic that two 24" 4Ks would be best, with two 27" 4Ks less good but not by a whole lot. I don't do any gaming, and very little video, so I don't really see a need for an eGPU. Does this sound about right?

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I continue to get good service from my twice-upgraded 2009 27" iMac, but when it finally goes south I'm planning to get a Mini and run either two 27" or two 24" monitors (I like real estate). I'm getting a sense from various discussions on this topic that two 24" 4Ks would be best, with two 27" 4Ks less good but not by a whole lot. I don't do any gaming, and very little video, so I don't really see a need for an eGPU. Does this sound about right?
By the time you actually come to buy, the Mini should be on a newer generation Intel processor (which have significantly stronger integrated graphics) so the relative merits will be different to now.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I'm getting a sense from various discussions on this topic that two 24" 4Ks would be best, with two 27" 4Ks less good but not by a whole lot. I don't do any gaming, and very little video, so I don't really see a need for an eGPU. Does this sound about right?

It depends a bit on you. Your eyesight, your work environment, the type of thing you work on.

As mentioned, I use 2x 24" 4K's with a 2080 mini (no eGPU yet), mostly looking at text all day. If the mini would run them smoothly, I'd run them both at a slightly lower higher than 2x scaling (i.e. looks like 2304x1296 rather than the default 1920x1080) - things right now are a little too big for my liking.

Don't get me wrong - it's very usable: I've had this setup since about December 2018 and haven't caved on an eGPU yet, but it's not "perfect" IMO.

Given this experience, I wouldn't even contemplate a 27" 4K display without a dGPU/eGPU to run it/them, using a non-evenly scaled size.

the Mini should be on a newer generation Intel processor (which have significantly stronger integrated graphics) so the relative merits will be different.

I wasn't aware there is any newer replacement yet for the 8{7,5,1}00B ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.