Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yes, with some caveats. If you use FileVault, you need to be able to enter a password before the eGPU activates. I havent used it personally (havent got my eGPU yet) but if you have a display that has multiple inputs, you can run e.g. Mac Mini's native HDMI port to one display, and then from the eGPU to both, so if you need to reboot/cold boot you switch the first display to the HDMI port, login, and then switch back to e.g. the DisplayPort out (or whatever it uses) from the eGPU.

I can't comment on that specific display.

4k on 27" means lower PPI, and IMO it means it's impractical to use the "default" scaling in macOS.

I will be interested in hearing how this works out for you. I tried connecting my Mini with HDMI to a 4K monitor's HDMI port, and then DisplayPort from the eGPU to the same monitor. I was hoping when switching inputs on the monitor that the Mini would detect that there was nothing on that input and not treat it as a third monitor (I am using two). But it would not work well.

Instead of having to disconnect the HDMI from the Mini, I decided to use one display as a secondary monitor hooked up to the Mini's hdmi and my larger 4k monitor hooked up to the eGPU and set as primary. Seems to work a lot nicer for me (I typically don't need to reboot often - but since using this Mini I have had to reboot more than usual due to some hopefully rare issues).

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Same boat as most of the readers; looking for more real estate than HD can provide but wanting something in a 24" form factor and reading seems to indicate the Dell P2415Q?

Mac Mini 2018
i5/3Ghz, 16GB
Intel UHD 630

Is the determination that HDMI will run at the required refresh rates?

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
So long as it’s a new unit yes it should support 60Hz over hdmi. I get the feeling they’re ending the run though, the place I got mine doesn’t list them any more and another retailer here has discounted them by about 30%.

There’s the lg 24” ultrafine (TB3/USB-c input) and they had a 4K 24” previously too, with dp/hdmi input if you can’t find the dell anywhere.

Reactions: legacyb4

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Same boat as most of the readers; looking for more real estate than HD can provide but wanting something in a 24" form factor and reading seems to indicate the Dell P2415Q?

Mac Mini 2018
i5/3Ghz, 16GB
Intel UHD 630

Is the determination that HDMI will run at the required refresh rates?

The Dell P2415Q has only HDMI 1.4, so only 4K @ 30 Hz possible: https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/be0153a

Monitor with HDMI 2.0 is mandatory for Mac Mini 2018. Or use an USB-C to DisplayPort cable.

eggnonymous

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2019
I have a Dell P2415Q and used it extensively while hooked up to my previous work 2015 loaded 15" MacBook Pro and my 2015 15" MacBook Pro with just the Iris Pro 5200. I found that 2560x1440 was too small for me to read at a decent distance and that the 1920X1080@2x was simply too big to be useful, even if it was crystal clear. I settled on the 2304x1296 and that was the best compromise for me. I still have the P2415Q, but I am currently using a BenQ SW271 27" display. It too is matte, and works quite well.

You can still order the P2415Q directly from Dell for $429.99 or from Amazon.com for $353.00.

Dell: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/210-agnk
Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Dell-Monit...s=Dell+P2415Q&qid=1559322141&s=gateway&sr=8-2

The downside it that they will use both Thunderbolt ports, as I was never able to get MST working to daisy chain my two P2715Q monitors at work.

How does text look scaled at 1440p on your sw271? Is the fuzziness noticeable vs either 2x (1080) or native (4k)? When about when scrolling? Any visible shimmering?

I'm trying to decide between the sw2700pt and the sw271. The 2700 would be perfect native but I'd really like to step up the PPI if possible. However scaling is apparently not great on 4k 27"? According to this post, https://bjango.com/articles/macexternaldisplays/, one should either go with 2x or native only so I was wondering what your experience was.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
I’m currently running an i5 Mac Mini, 32Gb, Vega 64 eGPU with 2x 32” 4K monitors. I have just bought a 3rd and it’s all as smooth as butter.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
I’m currently running an i5 Mac Mini, 32Gb, Vega 64 eGPU with 2x 32” 4K monitors. I have just bought a 3rd and it’s all as smooth as butter.
Does it seem like the Vega runs hotter and/or with more fan noise when it's driving multiple monitors?

I have the exact same spec as you but with a single 5K monitor. I'm a bit apprehensive about adding another big monitor in case it disrupts how extremely cool and quiet my eGPU currently is during light activities.

Last edited:

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
Does it seem like the Vega runs hotter and/or with more fan noise when it's driving multiple monitors?

I have the exact same spec as you but with a single 5K monitor. I'm a bit apprehensive about adding another big monitor in case it disrupts how extremely cool and quiet my eGPU currently is during light activities.

I only notice the fan come on when gaming. Adding the second monitor made no difference for desktop work.

Reactions: frou

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Do you meant that's necessary for 4K @ 60Hz?

I am running a U2415 off the HDMI output and it's running fine. I don't know the frequency it's running at however.

It tops out at 30Hz on the P2415Q. I run mine off of a Thunderbolt 1/2 to DisplayPort in my 2015 15” MBP so that i get 60Hz. I have used HDMI maybe twice on my MBP...waste of space, useless port - for me, at least.

You can confirm the refresh rate of an external monitor by going to System Information>Graphics/Displays.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010

Which 5K monitor out of interest?

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
How does text look scaled at 1440p on your sw271? Is the fuzziness noticeable vs either 2x (1080) or native (4k)? When about when scrolling? Any visible shimmering?

I'm trying to decide between the sw2700pt and the sw271. The 2700 would be perfect native but I'd really like to step up the PPI if possible. However scaling is apparently not great on 4k 27"? According to this post, https://bjango.com/articles/macexternaldisplays/, one should either go with 2x or native only so I was wondering what your experience was.

Yeah, I got my SW271 off of the BenQ refurb store on a 20% off Memorial Day deal for and change $677. Works like a dream. I have it hooked up to a CalDigit TB3 Mini Dock via Display Port and it works fine at true @2x and interpolated 2560x1440.

I don’t notice any of what you’re asking about, but truth be told, I am too old to really care. After spending enough time on Windows PCs and their absolutely s****y to the core text rendering, anything else is a dream. I am probably not the best person to ask as I really don’t even mind the text rendering in Mojave on my 2013 iMac. It could be better, but I have seen so much worse, I guess my bar is pretty low. The picture on the SW271 is wonderful to my eyes, if that’s any consolation.

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
Not to derail the the threat but I was under the impression this monitor wouldn’t work with the mini as it requires DP 1.4 and the mini (2018) can only utilise up to 1.2. How did you get around that?
Like I said, I'm using an eGPU, so it plugs into the DisplayPort on the graphics card.

iApplereviews

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2016
Virginis
I'm getting the i5 Mac Mini and will probably stay at 8 gigs of RAM for a while. I buying this computer as a desktop replacement for media consumption and word processing for the next 6-8 years. I was dreaming of getting something like the LG 27UK850 4K monitor and scale it at 1440p so that everything is just the right size and the text is crispier that that of lower-res monitors (yup, you could drive the monitor at 4K and zoom the text but not every app is optimized for this).

Then I started hearing about folks noticing UI lag with Mac Minis connected to LG UltraFine 5Ks. I then start reading and it seems that even Macs (or MacBooks) with better GPUs than the Mac Mini's lackluster Intel 630 have trouble working smoothly when you use a scaled-down res (unless you scale it down to 1080P which then makes things a bit too big). It just may be the case the Mac Mini isn't meant for 4K unless you run it in native res (a problem for me who works with apps like MS Word and who reads a lot of PDFs).

As I'm in this for the long haul, I dare not risk getting issues with lag with a 4K monitor (a big investment, I might add) connected to the Mac Mini. I'm probably going to go for something like the brand new Dell U2719DC as it seems to have all the boxes ticked: USB-C connectivity, height adjustment and 27" at 1440P native res (I'm told the sweet spot for WQHD is the 27-incher). This should at least guarantee that GPU bottleneck that the Mac Mini doesn't come too apparent.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?
I've got 2 1440p Dells and haven't had any lag and they look really nice. I think 4k is a bit overkill for a screen that small when most content for basic word processing and web browsing isn't going to be native 4k anyway. The Mac mini is capable of 3 displays 1 on HDMI and 2 on Thunderbolt 3 (the display controller is shared across the USB C Ports so the same controller handles 2 monitors).

Reactions: opeter

Draregnage

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
Dublin, Ireland
I have 2018 Mac Mini attached to a new 22" LG 4K Monitor. I have been using this combination for 2 weeks now and yesterday the screen started to fade for a few seconds every few minutes, like it is sleeping and waking. They are connected via a USB C/Lightening cable
I don't know what to do. Grateful for any suggestions? Thanks...

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
Choices choices. Right now, since I don't want to do any scaling, seems my best options are the 23.7" UltraFine 4K or a monitor large enough to run 4K at native resolution. Not sure what size that would even be, for me, or how to go about testing that IRL at like Best Buy or something! ha

arvinsim

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2018
Choices choices. Right now, since I don't want to do any scaling, seems my best options are the 23.7" UltraFine 4K or a monitor large enough to run 4K at native resolution. Not sure what size that would even be, for me, or how to go about testing that IRL at like Best Buy or something! ha

I have a 32" 4K monitor and even I have to scale that down since the text and icons are too small for me.

Best check it out in person first before buying.

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
I have a 32" 4K monitor and even I have to scale that down since the text and icons are too small for me.

Best check it out in person first before buying.
That's kind of the trouble I'm running into. There aren't a lot of shops near me that have monitors. I'll have to travel a bit, which is fine-- I want to make sure I'm making the right choice!

Spectrum

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2005
Never quite sure
If you want the apparent DPI and user interface size similar to the iMac default, for example, but running 4K resolution at native 1:1, I believe you need at ~40 inch monitor.

Reactions: Zdigital2015
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.